• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Brendan or May?

Years
  • 800px-Mega_Bracelet_ORAS_Trailer.png

Like we usually have in a main series Pokemon game, we get the choice between playing as a male or female trainer, such as Hoenn's resident protagonist duo, Brendan and May.

Who did you play as in the game? Did you pick the one who matched your own gender, or maybe there was one you liked the design of better? Maybe you played as each on separate copies of the game?

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I played as Brendan in my game. I always go with gender.

Years
  • I go with my gender always. White hat boy is my second favorite male protagonist in Pokemon franchise, next to Red of course.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I went with May in both games (though I named her after myself, which feels kinda weird now coming from X&Y where we have character customization and it makes sense to name a character after myself haha)

I usually go female in my games. I'll occasionally try out male in subsequent playthroughs, but I still have yet to play as Brendan in Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.

Years
  • I played as May, because I always played as the character that my gender was, and she's really adorable so I couldn't help it, as her new design made her significantly cuter.

Years
  • I love May, if a girl would choose.
    But .... I am Man: v but ... this can not be.
    So as I am male Brendan had to choose.

(Sorry for my bad english kekekeke :v)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Brendan! Though I'm a girl, I've always preferred to play as a boy with occasional times being the girl. I do like May, I just haven't made the effort to play her.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I only played through Alpha Sapphire once, and I played through the game as Brendan. I thought that May looked better, but I like to play as if I was the trainer so I chose the male trainer. I wish we could customize our characters more in-game.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I like their new designs better than the old ones (May is much cuter with that bow, and It always seemed weird in gen 3 that brendans hair was white. he was like 10 after all :p) But i always play as the boy, because i am a boy. I might split it up more when i get OR.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I usually prefer to play as the female but this time I chose to play as Brendan. I chose Brendan because I'm a boy and I like his design.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    May! I'm extremely disappointed with Brendan's design, that hair is awful. :/

Years
  • May all the way. :D Her redesign was cute even if she looked a lot younger.. plus I prefer playing as my own gender, it just feels right. Used to occasionally choose the male protagonist when playing yearsyears ago but that was a passing phase and not something I can do now even if I happened to dislike the design of the female playable character, lol.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I concur with those who assumed Brendan's hat was his hair for the longest time and I recall that when I first found out it was a hat in, I believe, a Bulbagarden thread my reaction was all "BULLSH!T! IT'S HAIR!" hehe. Took me time to be able to concede to it.

He's still less ugly than May, however, in my opinion. That's why I never play as her.

Back