• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious What if...? - You knew when you would die

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024

what-if-title-1.jpg

TOPIC: You know you're going to die because at some point we all do. But, what if you could know just exactly when or even how you would die? It could be tomorrow or many, many years from now. How would you feel and would you change the way you live?

TOPIC WARNINGS: Death

*Please make sure you read over the RULES for posting.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Knowing when I die wouldn't bother me, it's how I die that I'd be concerned with. Anything about the way I live changing depends on the when and how too.

And that's before getting to if I can die before the ordained day or not

Years
    • Seen today
    I thought about something similar, and I would rather not know.

If my death were soon, I would probably become completely nihilistic instead of spending the last moments meaningfully. If it were a long time away, I would change nothing anyways and it would be another source of permanent anxiety.

Years
  • If my death is to be slow and painful, where I lose all dignity, I will take it into my own hands when the time comes.

Years
  • I'd make a bucket-list and make sure I get everything on it done before the appointed time.
    As for knowing how.... I guess if it's particularly unpleasant or slow it wouldn't be nice to know. That said, it ultimately matters little.
    My lifestyle would only change if it's short notice and I have to scramble to get the bucket-list done.

Years
  • I would feel scared finding that out, and honestly would probably rather not know because the weight of that knowledge would make me struggle to concentrate on the precious present moments I have left. I would only be intetested in knowing how and when i would die if I had the potential to avoid an untimely death by doing something differently, like not leaving the house on the day it was predicted that I would die in a car crash. If I knew my death was imminent, and the circumstances could not be altered then I would be depressed, but probably not change the way I live by that much, other than maybe spending some more time with loved ones since I won't be around for them much longer.

If my death was in the distant future, then after being initially shocked and unsettled by finding out the time and circumstance then I suppose the knowledge could be an impetus to accomplish more before that expiration date, but as the date drew nearer and imminent death became more tangible then I think the stress would drive me crazy, and I would be happier and live a more peaceful life not knowing precisely when of how my end is coming. You can live a rich and constructive life day by day by just remembering the principle that there is no guarantee of tomorrow, without implicitly knowing the very hour your shall come.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'd probably just...accept it. I'm not the kind of person who is scared of dying, or death, so I'd probably just accept it.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Be annoyed for all the time I still need to spend alive? Well, that's at least one of the possibilities. I don't particularly have much worth living for. The cause of death would be concerning, of course. It is part of human nature to be afraid of pain and such.

Years
  • It'd probably magnify the sense of urgency I feel to achieve my goals to an extremely unhealthy degree honestly. There's only so much time to do all the things I want to do and I'm a long way from getting there.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Depends on two factors:
    1. The distance from today. Might be more eager to act with a near date. Imagines it feeling something like the Hey Arnold episode of Helga shouting "Twenty-four hours, fifteen minutes, and thirteen seconds until you die!" for nearby dates as well. Could grow numb to it before long, however. Expects little change for distant dates.
    2. Ability to manipulate. Does it update when you behave differently? Theoretically becomes an excellent medical test subject in a very quick, fluid situation. Requires being believed, of course.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
  • Well first and foremost. I will be scared shitless by the fact that i know when & how i am going to die.
    The level if fear depends on when i am going to die. If it give me ample time to think,

I would be able to gather back my sense of normalcy, and(by my sane mind at this moment) do the right things. Help my family out, be kind to everyone. Stop doing those things that take time to achieved, like if I am doing a school degree but i am going to die in 2 years, might as well I stop.

But I am pretty sure if i were to know when and how i die, at least for the first few hours/days/months I will be out of my mind for sure. Hahahaha

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i think about this a lot which probably isn't good for me considering the thought of not being alive freaks me out lol like i know it's not like you can do anything. you're just dead. i guess i'm more afraid of what afterlife is like. i'm pretty sure i'm just dead and no longer conscious or existing, but at the same time, i've had situations in my life that lead me to believe in an afterlife of sorts. but then like do i reincarnate...is that a thing. then i have to go through life again. i can't imagine not having the people i had in this life in my next life. idk man i try to not think about it to much bc it is one of those things that weighs on my mind.

well actually i just talked more about the afterlife...the anticipation of knowing when i die would freak me out too so like. i'm chill not knowing lol it's fine...

pkmin3033

That'd depend on the when and how, honestly. If I knew I was going to die in my sleep in my seventies or something I'd be fine with that, although I expect the closer I got to it the less sanguine I would feel about it. If it was going to happen sooner, or in a more painful/unpleasant fashion, I'd kill myself before the time came. Partly to avoid the pain/unpleasantness, and partly to spite myself or whoever/whatever forces decided on that - I won't have my time/manner of death dictated to me, thank you very much! I don't think it would affect HOW I live, though - since I've come close to death many times in my life already, and because of my general need/desire to do things, I've always tried to be organised and make the most of my days where I can.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Horrible, incurable anxiety. Especially the thought of covid and dying before my father.. thinking he'll have to bury his only child. Ugh. I can't even talk about this. Had to take a Xanax to continue. You ever see a family member bury a child? Life is never the same
    Spoiler:
    I guess it's kinda complicated, huh? Obviously I can't control the emotional impact but I can make the job easier for a crew to clean. Keep an open casket if family wants it, slow decay as much as possible.. etc..

…I'm going to stop talking now. Ahaha.. happy birthday Jo!

Years
  • like some have said in this thread, it really depends on the "how". even so, i'd be a lot more bothered that i didn't accomplish what i wanted to in life before dying, assuming it's anytime soon. if it's in a few years, at least i can take solace that i'm given some time left to make something of my life before i pass on.

the knowledge of the such would certainly weigh on me, but i'll come to terms with it eventually. worrying about death doesn't make it go away, after all.

Back