• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Fairy Type

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Pokemon X/Y introduced a new type for certain Pokemon: The Fairy type! The Fairy type became the first type of pokemon where Dragon Pokemon could not do any damage at all against, and even some existing Pokemon became part-fairy type.

18qjrdpuxq0i7jpg.jpg

So, the question here is, when they first introduced the Fairy type, what was your initial reaction? Have you used a Fairy-type Pokemon, and how did you enjoy it? Do you think Fairy-type would of had a different name? Do you think some pokemon missed out on having this new typing?

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
I didn't show any reaction to Fairy type being introduced and I accepted it. I have used quite a few Fairy type and my favorite I have used is Primarina who is part water part fairy type. I don't think Fairy type would of had a different name and the only Pokemon I could think of missing out on this new type is Cresselia.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I've never had the opportunity to use Fairy Type Pokemon because I lack a 2DS/3DS to play Gen 6/7. If I were to get one, I'd strongly consider doing a Fairy Monotype(Steel and Poison Pokemon be damned). Alas, I've done runs on Generation 1 with Fairy typing in mind(Clefairy, Mr.Mime and Jigglypuff being it sadly).

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
I always hated fairy type, it was annoying, especially since its strong against dragon, guess they just felt they needed to nerf the dragons even m ore?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
I always hated fairy type, it was annoying, especially since its strong against dragon, guess they just felt they needed to nerf the dragons even m ore?
Fairy was introduced to bring more balance to the metagame. Dragons were only weak to Ice (rare to find) or Dragon (difficult to find Pokemon that could learn Dragon moves that weren't also weak to Dragon). With Fairy Pokemon, Dragons have another weakness that's around more and has different sets of weaknesses so they have more versatility.

And, with Fairy being weak to Poison, it gave that type some boost in usage. There wasn't much that Poison was strong against that didn't already have another weakness that was seen more. But with Fairy being weak to Poison (and Steel), the types that weren't originally used much were given a reason to be used.

It wasn't just to weaken the Dragon typing, but to just give more balance to the metagame.

I don't remember my reaction to Fairy being introduced. Mostly, I remember trying to get used to Fairy being around, and learning the weaknesses/strengths of the type. I almost got it now. And it is difficult to get used to Fairy not existing as I play through the older games.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
Fairy was introduced to bring more balance to the metagame. Dragons were only weak to Ice (rare to find) or Dragon (difficult to find Pokemon that could learn Dragon moves that weren't also weak to Dragon). With Fairy Pokemon, Dragons have another weakness that's around more and has different sets of weaknesses so they have more versatility.

And, with Fairy being weak to Poison, it gave that type some boost in usage. There wasn't much that Poison was strong against that didn't already have another weakness that was seen more. But with Fairy being weak to Poison (and Steel), the types that weren't originally used much were given a reason to be used.

It wasn't just to weaken the Dragon typing, but to just give more balance to the metagame.

True, but Dragon isn't even super effective against anything but dragon, and while they are still s trong, not as much as the used to be. Also this was my brothers reaction when he learned about fairy types, he was really holding out for light types, which would have been waaayy cooler. any way the reaction:
Undo at your own risk!
Spoiler:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Dragon Types are essentially pseudo-legendary. Considering Ice Types(good ones) are few and far between, Dragons essentially dominated in competitive scene. To counter that, they added the Fairy Type while boosting viability of Steel and more importantly Poison Types. Seriously, before Fairy came along, would you even consider using a Poison Type when Ground(Typically strong Physical) and Psychic(Strong Special) dominate them in every way shape and form? Heck no and honestly I?m surprised they didn?t have Fairy Types from Day 1. Clefairy screams Fairy Type if there ever was one.

Years
I thought and still think it's kinda neat! I dig a lot of the new Fairy Pok?mon, and I think the older Pok?mon that took it on as a secondary or sole type are all sensible choices for it!

Actually, Fairy kind of reminds me of old fan ideas for a "Light"-type, especially with how it beats both Dark and Dragon, types thematically or aesthetically associated with archetypal villains in fiction.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I was really upset when I heard about the Fairy Type. I didn't, and still don't, think we needed a new type. It feels like now there are two overpowered types instead of just one. Fairy types are only weak to uncommon types and strong against more common types. I think it just unbalanced the game even more. To be honest, Dragon has needed a counter since its introduction if they were ever going to expand on the type. Just look at Kingdra in Gen 2. It would have been better to introduce two new types like they did with Psychic instead of just one.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
AtWGCFq.png

Bwahahaha!

I love the Fairy type! I think it's a fantastic addition to the roster and it makes so much sense for some of the existing Pokemon. Not to mention it's produced some of the best Pokemon designs and M-evolutions yet. And you can't deny that it's almost exactly like the fan favorite "Light Type" that everyone was vying for - just with a much more pastel and adorable exterior! I think people just can't handle the idea that something so cute can destroy their precious "all powerful" dragons. Sorry boo. ;)

<3

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
The Fairy type was brought in to rebalance the metagame. At the time it was introduced Fighting types and Dragons were running rampant while types like Steel and Poison were rare as offensive types. That's why it was added in, but I question how well it did its job to rebalance the metagame.

The type put a stop to the dragons spamming Outrage everywhere and Fighting types breaking through everything in Gen V and it gave a helpful boost in viability to Poison and Steel type moves, which was one of its objectives. Its other objective, to bring balance to the metagame, has failed. The type chart is now arguably as unbalanced as before - this time, Fairy is the dominant type and it will continue this way until the type chart is balanced again.

Fairy is absurdly powerful both offensively and defensively. Not only are its two weaknesses to weak offensive types and boasts an extremely strong spread of resistances, but it has nearly unrivaled offensive prowess in its wide coverage and key types it hits for super effective damage. It also has a bunch of really strong and reliable offensive moves and a nicely distributed spread of support moves. The type gets more tools than every other type and, with the notable exception of Grass, it combines with every other type well - Nearly every pokemon who got the type saw a dramatic increase to their viability, a testament to how overpowering it is.
The only thing that has stopped the type from becoming as rampant as the Dragons before is the pokemon who have it - the pokemon receiving the type tend to be otherwise underwhelming and the ones that would be good otherwise (eg. Azumarill, the Tapus, Mega Mawile, Mega Altaria) are dominant.

Fairy should have had much more thought put into balancing it itself. It has no business being as centralizing to the metagame as it is and it is busted ingame as well because it is just so easy to pick up a good fairy and run with it.
Really, the type needs to get nerfed and hard. It needs another weakness and a couple more types resisting it. Psychic is a strong candidate for a type to both resist the type and hit it for Super Effective damage because of the flavor connection between the two and going by how sharply the type dropped off in effectiveness in later gens.

Years
I don't remember my reaction when they were announced, but I love Fairy-Types in Kalos now. Floette is probably my favourite Gen VI Pokémon.

I haven't used Fairy-Type on my 1st team in Kalos, mostly because while I love Floette, I don't really like Florges and other pure Fairy-Types need trade to evolve - which I couldn't do at the time. Now that I think about it, I actually used Carbink for short amount of time on my rotating spot, but swapped it for Lapras.

I'm not that fond of Alola's Fairies. Ribombee and Morelull line are probably only one I like.

I'm glad they added them to the games.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I don't remember my reaction when they were announced, but I love Fairy-Types in Kalos now. Floette is probably my favourite Gen VI Pokémon.

I haven't used Fairy-Type on my 1st team in Kalos, mostly because while I love Floette, I don't really like Florges and other pure Fairy-Types need trade to evolve - which I couldn't do at the time. Now that I think about it, I actually used Carbink for short amount of time on my rotating spot, but swapped it for Lapras.

I'm not that fond of Alola's Fairies. Ribombee and Morelull line are probably only one I like.

I'm glad they added them to the games.

What about Alolan Ninetales or do you have Moon wherein it's not available? I know that if I had Gen 6 or Gen 7, I'd be using Fairy Types all the time.

Years
I was quite ecstatic when this announcement was made what was over 5 years ago now. There was often speculation for months that Sylveon would possess a completely new type due to its unusual appearance not fitting with most existing types. I also love how Fairy-type gave new life to old Pokemon, such as Clefable, Togekiss, Azumarill and Gardevoir. The designs are also very cute, majestic or a combination of both.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I personally love the Fairy-type! The whole metagame thing didn't concern me in the slightest—I just heard the news and got psyched for new Pokémon, haha. They're a great addition to your team. I think we need more physical Fairy moves, though!

Years
Loved it. It was a great way to shake things up while still feeling like something plausible within this universe's already established rules (unlike mega evolution).

I was pleased a lot of old Pokémon got a new breath of life and I also feel the Pokémon they gave the new typing to was mostly what I would have chosen myself.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
My favorite aspect of gen 6 (after korrina of course).

Its about time us girlier, pink loving pokemon fans get a type thats more meant for us ;3

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Despite the girly stigma that always makes me physically ill, I actually quite like Fairy types, and I loved seeing old Pokemon get updated into something more fitting.

And they are pretty fun to use as well. I guess I will like anything that further depowers my least favorite type: Dragon.

Last edited:

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Fairy type is an acceptable addition/rebalance to the type chart, though I disagree with it having advantages against dark types.

It makes little sense gameplay-wise, and even through story/lore reasoning from my perspective imo.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I really loved using Mega Altaria as well as Gardevoir, especially because I've already used them during RSE (Altaria being not Mega) when Fairy didn't existed back.

Moving onwards to SMUSUM I used Primarina, Mimikyu as well as Alolan Ninetales.

Back