• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What's your starter Pokemon?

What starter you choose?

• [IMG]http://www.pokestadium.com/assets/img/sprites/misc/icons/turtwig.png[/IMG]

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • [IMG]http://www.pokestadium.com/assets/img/sprites/misc/icons/chimchar.png[/IMG]

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • [IMG]http://www.pokestadium.com/assets/img/sprites/misc/icons/piplup.png[/IMG]

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • I ran Piplup every time I played seriously up until last time I played Plat. Chimchar too fragile but Turtwig too slow... Piplup was a good compromise. And a water type, to cover some HMs :P

Years
  • I ran with Chimchar first time around never regreted picking him Since he evolved into the Powerhouse Infernape which i still have to this day Since i refuse erasing my Pokemon pearl save file haha.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I've used them all but in my most recent run, I went with Piplup.

Years
  • This was probably the only generation where I didn't have a consistent choice of starter. Over time I did notice my love of monkey Pokemon and the lack of Fire-types in Sinnoh, which led to Chimchar becoming my eventual common choice.

Years
  • My lil penguin. :> It's cute, and the water/steel typing was and still is very unique. I didn't like Infernape much, though Torterra is slowly growing on me because of its cool concept.

Years
  • Piplup. It was a bonus that it turned out to be Water/Steel! The other two Pokémon types were kind og boring in comparison and Empoleon was pretty cool looking. Named him Mr. Ice, regardless.

Years
  • **picks up the remaining pokeball with the unwanted grass starter on the table** Don't worry turtwig, someone will love you and take care of you.

I chose Turtwig's line as my starter honestly because I liked the appearance of his final evolution the best of the three. He has a majestic look that lets you know he is a tank immediately. I aso enjoy all of the intricate detailing on his back, he essentially carries a garden with him at all times. The toughness of Paul's Torterra only helped seal the deal.

Grass can lend itself to more type weaknesses at times, but I find them to be some of the most well-designed starters from an aesthetic perspective, il
    Chikorita, Treecko, Snivy. Bulbasaur of course is also great, and I think Turtwig is more in this tradition in that he is especially well-suited to the region.

He is both a good early and late in-game Pokemon. He destroys in the water, electric, steel and rock gym, he even has some edge against the ghosts due to the move bite. He goes tit for tat with everyone else, needing to stay at home for only one gym battle-- ice.

I found him to be a really satisfying Pokemon to play with and would pick him again if I go back. He trounced Bertha of the Elite Four, is the obvious check to Cynthia's gastrodon and even held his own against Cynthia's Garchomp when he was under my instruction, setting up a leech seed before the pivot.

I think Torterra is underrated. He has a very strong attack and defense and is handy with lots of great moves like earthquake, stone edge, curse and a million ways to heal. I don't really mind him being slow because he is built to last :)

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Back when I first played Diamond I chose Piplup, but now I'd probably be more inclined to choose Turtwig.

I'm a bit curious! Any particular reason why your stance has changed?

Back