• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You have $1000 to spend on tech

Years
  • Let's say you were given $1000 to spend on technology of any kind, whether that'd be a cell phone, a tablet, a computer, or even money towards that slick new 3090.

What would you spend it on as far as technology goes?

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • I would say a newer gpu (since mine is a 580, not bad but in vr and demanding games and trying 4k it struggles specially having 4gb vram) but the prices are insane atm if prices were msrp then yea probably the radeon 6800xt.

But with current prices a new phone (even though mine is fine) either the samsung galaxy s21 or s20 FE then with the leftover money probably buy a headset that i can use for when streaming, gaming, and in vr and whatever money left towards rgb in my case or some new skullcandys

Years
  • I would say a newer gpu (since mine is a 580, not bad but in vr and demanding games and trying 4k it struggles specially having 4gb vram) but the prices are insane atm if prices were msrp then yea probably the radeon 6800xt.

But with current prices a new phone (even though mine is fine) either the samsung galaxy s21 or s20 FE then with the leftover money probably buy a headset that i can use for when streaming, gaming, and in vr and whatever money left towards rgb in my case or some new skullcandys

Yep, GPU and phone were my top two choices. I was looking at a 3070 or a newer Android phone.

But the phone is lower considering I did get a mid-range phone brand new earlier in the year.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'd probably blow $500 on a ps5.

$50 on a new phone because i cracked it today while on my bike, not realizing it was in my pocket and it fell out.

The rest can go into savings or something because I'm out of ideas.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd probably put it into getting a new laptop to replace my aging MSI gaming laptop. I was thinking about getting one of those Framework laptops, personally, and $1000 could cover a fairly decent model.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Like Zeo I'd go for a PS5 as well, and of the remaining 500$, I'd get myself a nice mouse because the one I'm using right now is irritating and frequently just disconnects. That's it for now.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'd most likely spend most of it on a higher end (unlocked) phone that can play Genshin Impact that isn't OLED. My current (unlocked to only play my 64-bit anime games) was basically completely destroyed by Genshin Impact. The back of my phone is literally cracked open from the heat. And well, screen burn, too, obviously. So, I'd first and foremost, find a better quality, more expensive 64-bit phone that can run Genshin that isn't OLED on a $1000 tech budget. I don't know what kind of phones there are that are out there that are newer that are "unlocked", though.

...And if anything is leftover, maybe I'd buy a newer model Dell Laptop that isn't too expensive. I never am the person who wants the latest and greatest technology, but I would like a Dell Laptop that has Windows 10 already installed, and not just updated onto the device, if you get me.

Also, I feel most extremely good laptops these days are way over this thread's budget.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • A vinyl player! $1000 might juuuuust be enough for a decent (i.e. will work awesomely right out of the box) turntable and speakers. It's completely unnecessary but gosh does the idea appeal to me.

Years
  • A vinyl player! $1000 might juuuuust be enough for a decent (i.e. will work awesomely right out of the box) turntable and speakers. It's completely unnecessary but gosh does the idea appeal to me.

As long as it's not a Crosley it should be fine!

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • My PC is from 2014. It's definitely time for a new one. Don't really know what quality of PC I could get with $1000, though. They're so darn expensive.

Years
  • My PC is from 2014. It's definitely time for a new one. Don't really know what quality of PC I could get with $1000, though. They're so darn expensive.
    Depends on if you game with them or not. Yeah, with gaming, it's gonna exceed $1000 but a good everyday-use PC that isn't for gaming could easily run in the $600-$800 range.

Years
  • Upgrade to dual 4k color accurate monitors + a heavy duty dual monitor arm. I don't really game much anymore aside from emulators, so I'll stick with my 1650 Super for a little bit longer. Maybe get an adapter too if I still have some money left, since I only have one DisplayPort.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • If I had $1k to blow on tech I'd probably spend it on hard drives or save up a little more for a valve index

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Multiple backup DS systems, a couple of GBA with link cables so I could finally have trades on my Gen III games, perhaps a 2DS/3DS so I could use Dream Radar and play the RS remakes. Oh, and a couple of backup Chromecast or similar - streaming sticks with no voice capabilities. I like my TV to shut up and play the stuff, not record me laughing at inappropriate jokes in old Top Gear episodes.

[rant]As an aside, anyone who needs convincing Apple's privacy interests only go as far as marketing - Apple TV+ is available on the new Chromecast with voice capabilites, but not the standard streaming stick (that by definition is better for privacy). As a For All Mankind fan, this sucks [/rantover]

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • I'd definitely get a PS5. I reeeeeally want to play Demon's Souls, it's shaking me to my core. I'd basically spend $770 on a Demon's Souls machine.

Haiku

PokéManiac
    Years
  • I'm gonna need like $1500 more. The next thing I plan to buy is an MSI Raider GE66 with at least 32 gb RAM and hopefully an i9 CPU. I prefer AMDs, but the AMD market is more limited and I need a new laptop for all the statistical computing I do for work.

Ultimately, I want to buy a Threadripper 3990X lol. 64 cores. But the CPU by itself is almost $5000 and it requires a special motherboard, multiple GPUs, etc. It would be like owning my own compute node.

Back