• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you name your player?

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
  • I use the name Rilence.
    It's actually deprived from Riley and Lance as they're my favourite NPC.
    And it actually got stuck and I even use that name personally now, lol.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I always use the name Luna. She's one of my favorite singers in one of my favorite girl groups. Now it's just kind of second nature to name my character after her.

Years
  • I'm unoriginal and just go with Brendan every time. Actually, the only time that I didn't was when I picked the female character in my second playthrough of Sapphire, and that was just because of the novelty of having my rival already being named Brendan in-game.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • When I first started playing, I went with one of the default names (Kamon). Since then, I've mostly used my real name. I've used Xander on a couple recent files, a derivative of my real name used for my Pokémon Trainer OC. I've only used a username once that I can recall.

Last edited:
    Years
  • when i first played the game, i use my real name. but if its a replay, i use the game
    s title as my name (e.g. when i replayed sun, i used the name sun). but sometimes i also use the established name of the male character (i used the name Lucas when i replayed platinum)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Depends. Normally i use my name unless i can think of a name that i want to use instead on my initial playthrough. I remember using serena for X bc thats one of my favorite names and person default name of the girl so it worked out haha. On repeat playthroughs i either use a name that goes with the theme (if in doing a themed team or a challenge) or use a name i like or come to mind.

Years
  • I use a shortened version of my real name for pretty much all of my characters. It's been a thing I've done since.... third gen? Also because it's a lot of effort coming up with a different name entirely, so that's what I've been doing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Something retarded occurs to me and I use it.

... well, some random name usually crops up and that's that. Kuzco, Rey, Renton, Sandra, Bella Lee, et cetera. Never terrifically inventive.

From now on, I'll probably use Amsin for all of my male characters. For the ladies... well, you can never go wrong with Oubliette. It's French. Means 'dungeon'.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Pokemon translated silver : Pikab (I used to roleplay as Ash's Pikachu)
    Other : my name Bartek or my nick BH

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I used to never use my real name and often went for the default names such as Lucas and Gold since I generally went for the male player over the female player. If I do pick the female protagonist though then I generally just use my real name which is Sophie. :D

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • In more recent games, it's Reyzadren as my username, but for older versions that didn't allow up to those 9 letters, it's some other name (7 letters max).

Perhaps when I replay older versions, I shall use the shortened Reyzad instead.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • if i'm trying to follow a theme of some kind, i usually name myself in regards to that. however, it's mostly either al, alli, or abel. i don't tend to stray far from that, lol.

Years
  • Back in the days, as a kid, I used to name them by my real name. When I grew up into an older teenager I started to use nicknames like Iori (my favourite King of Fighters character) or Kira (from Death Note). Later on I started to use Kura (short for Kurapika).
    There were also a few times where I tried silly names like, F*** me, Butt, mom, ...etc LOL.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    I name my characters all after myself and each different Generation of games I'd add a number at the end as though my character had children.

For example, if my name were Alex (and it's not), I'd call my next character Alex Jr then Alex III, Alex IV and so on and so forth.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I used to be really creative and come up with cool names for my character and play as them, roleplay-y. But in the past years, I've started to always name the character Rika or Rico depending on if I play as a girl or boy ahha. I'm not sure why. Maybe, as somebody else here said, I like to be the one to make the journey rather than just controlling some character with a different name :)

Years
    • Seen today
    I almost always name the character after myself. I like putting myself in the role of the trainer, and not giving him my own name makes this way harder.

Ocassionly I may give the character a very simplistic name.

pkmin3033

I used to mix it up a little, but for Gen 6 and 7 I just used Dawn and I will probably do that for Gen 8 as well. I've never felt much of a connection to the character I play as so it doesn't matter what name I use. xD

Years
  • Janp on my main save of the generation. Janp or Zeman for male or Zemana for female on my other runs. But sometimes I get a little bit of creative - I'm doing Christmas themed run on the Sapphire and my main character is called Cola. Or sometimes I just go with their canon name.

Back