• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolving Pokemon

Years
  • abra-is-evolving.jpg

Evolving? Yes/No​

Since Generation 1, most Pokemon have been able to evolve. With evolution comes newfound strength and abilities, but many Pokemon lose the cute appearance that they once had, upon evolution. Evolution has always been synonymous with accomplishment, although some prefer to pass over the evolution process and keep their Pokemon in its basic form, for various reasons.

-Do you always evolve your Pokemon, even if you like their pre-evolutions more?

-If you've ever chosen not to evolve a Pokemon, why didn't you evolve it? For a challenge?

-Favorite Method of Evolution?

-Do you have any ideas for new methods of Evolution?

pokecole

Brave Frontier is great.
    Years
  • -Do you always evolve your Pokemon, even if you like their pre-evolutions more?
    Yes I do, and I rarely don't like an evolved version.

-If you've ever chosen not to evolve a Pokemon, why didn't you evolve it? For a challenge?
    I haven't.
    Hmm I'd have to say by stones.

Evolve by battling a certain pokemon.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I always evolve my Pokemon. I can always appreciate a Pokemon's design online; I can only appreciate its strength when I'm actually battling with it.

Probably my favorite method of evolution is the Feebas -> Milotic one, because it makes so much sense. I mean, make Feebas pretty and Feebas becomes a pretty Pokemon! It makes perfect sense!

I would like to see a double/triple battle evolution. Something like "level in a double battle with ____"...maybe a Pokemon that has the Rivalry ability will evolve that way, because he's trying to be stronger than his counterpart.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I always evolve in the long run if it's a Pokemon I'm actually training these days - I'll only put it off if I want a specific move to be learnt or it's not a straightforward evolution (e.g. I need to find a darn Heart Scale first or it's a trade one). The exception was one run-through with Cyndaquil of silver way back in the day to test out the whole 'learn better moves earlier' thing. XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • 1. Normally, I always evolve my Pokemon because of the increase in stats.
    2. However, the only time when I don't evolve my Pokemon is in order to have them learn moves earlier or get moves unavailable to the evolved form.
    3. I like level-up evolution.
    4. I don't know of any new evolutionary methods, ATM.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • -Do you always evolve your Pokemon, even if you like their pre-evolutions more?
    I do evolve my Pokemon. Mainly because I want to complete my Pokedex, or in party terms, I want them to become stronger.

The three Pokemon that I've decided not to evolve are the following:
    Dragonair -/> Dragonite
    Wingull -/> Pelipper
    Buizel -/> Floatzel
    I decided to keep their pre-evolved/first-stage evolutions because I think they can benefit their new moves as if they already evolved. plus these Pokemon's 2nd state evos are horrible and I'd rather press the B button or have them hold an everstone. xD

Stone-evolution method is awesome, but the stones are pretty scarce. xD

There needs to be more Pokemon that evolve at certain areas, like Leafeon and Glaceon for example. New methods, however...I can't think of one. xD

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    Sometimes i hold off for a while but then i get drawn back thinking about all that power

Pre evo moves and also just felt like it

The most inventive is trade karrablast for shelmet and in the process karrablast steals his shell and becomes bulkier and shelmet looses his shell and becomes alot faster

Unhappiness
    we have return and frustration, what about eevee hating his trainer then evovling into a host type eevelution. It probably dosent fit the theme of treating your pokemon with kindness but it sounds really cool

Years
    Not always. There are certain instances where I keep the pre evolved form because I like it better. My Growlithe in SoulSilver is one instance.

Sometimes. Never for a challenge, just cause I don't want to.

I dunno. Level up, I guess?

No, I don't.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Yup!

For it's cuteness lol.

Level up

... no xD

Years
  • -Do you always evolve your Pokemon, even if you like their pre-evolutions more? I like some evolved Pokemon (Gothitelle, Manectric, Breloom, Roserade etc) other's I'm not such a fan of (Archeops, Kingler, Garbodor just to name a few).

-If you've ever chosen not to evolve a Pokemon, why didn't you evolve it? For a challenge? I left a Piloswine unevolved in SoulSilver and she still was a stable part of my team.

-Favorite Method of Evolution? Level up.

-Do you have any ideas for new methods of Evolution? Maybe evolution based on Nature. That was all I could think of.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I always evolve my Pokemon to take advantage of the higher stats. I don't have any preferred method of evolution, but I don't like the ones that require any sort of trading.

As for neqw evolution methods, maybe it evolves after walking a cetrtain number of steps while on your party...

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Yes and No.

-If you've ever chosen not to evolve a Pokemon, why didn't you evolve it?
    There is a reason for this, I capture every Pokemon so I can have every species of Pokemon in my box so thats the reason

For a challenge?
    Never

Dusk Stone, I love the appearance and I love what it does to Lampert

Yeah, make Eevee evolve into Leafeon with a Leafstone

:t354:TG

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Yes. Evolution makes Pokemon stronger, and I prefer to have useable Pokemon.

The only thing that comes to mind was when I had this Adamant Shroomish, and I waited for it to learn Spore before evolving it. Other than that, no.

High-leve evolution, It makes me feel good when I know that I've persevered for a long time, and that I really worked for the evolution, such as Hydreigon, Salamence, Tyranitar, Volcarona, etc.

Not really

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I usually evolve all my Pokemon. Though I have a hard time evolving shinies, especially those that have a drastic change in colors. Like...Dragonair into Dragonite. lol That'd be an ugly shiny change. Favorite method would be...good ole level up. I hate having to get items and friendship (especially at certain times of the day) for evolving. That being said, I obviously don't want any new methods introduced.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • -Do you always evolve your Pokemon, even if you like their pre-evolutions more? Yes, unless they were to somehow make it so base stats were the same in all forms which is unlikely.

-If you've ever chosen not to evolve a Pokemon, why didn't you evolve it? For a challenge? yes. I do "checkup battles" on my little brothers as they start out their new games using unevolved pokemon. Usualy just a random capture with some tms thrown into it.

-Favorite Method of Evolution? Level up because I'm lazy.

not realy but some evolutions I raly hate like purrugly.

Years
  • Do you always evolve your Pokemon, even if you like their pre-evolutions more?
    not always, i like some pre-evo's and evos *like growlithe and arcanine for example... i like both of them :) *

If you've ever chosen not to evolve a Pokemon, why didn't you evolve it? For a challenge?

because it's more cuter like that :)

Favorite Method of Evolution?

hmm... i'm not really sure... they're all good :)

Do you have any ideas for new methods of Evolution?

not really

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I feel like some Pokemon that evolve in later gens are still good in their unevolved forms.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the gen 4 Pokemon that evolve from previous generations. Such as Electivire, Magmortar and Tangrowth. Therefore I don't have plans to evolve them. I do like others like Lickilicky, Yanmega, Dusknoir and Porygon Z.
    I guess my favorite method is Inkay's.

I obviously don't evolve all shinies since I need the line as well as my non shiny living dex.

I don't have anynew ideas but I wouldn't mind them going back and using older items for new Pokemon in the future.

Last edited:

porygoing

Kreeeeeh
    Years
  • 1. Not always, but when it's so weak and it needs to evolve for playing.
    2. I don't like challenging, but I want to see cute Pokemon. But sometimes I don't evolve when I want to learn several moves.
    3. Level up. It doesn't require any items. And trade evolution are worst. (I'm sad because of porygons :( )
    4. Just make alternatives of trade evoultion...

Years
  • I've only ever chosen to not deliberately evolve a Pokemon, and even then it was really a matter of not evolving them so soon mostly because of moveset reasons (it was Growlithe, and evolving it early means it wouldn't be able to learn useful moves anymore like Flare Blitz, Outrage, etc). Other than that, I've always really evolved my Pokemon whenever possible.

Favourite method of evolving is plain old leveling up! Simple and doesn't take a whole lot of effort. Friendship is also up there as well, especially since it has gotten a lot easier than older generations to build friendship with your Pokemon to evolve.

Though tbh I wish trade evos weren't a thing. :\ kind of a pain in the ass if you don't have anyone in mind to trade with, y'know?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Do you always evolve your Pokemon, even if you like their pre-evolutions more?

Nope!

If you've ever chosen not to evolve a Pokemon, why didn't you evolve it? For a challenge?

Aesthetics > Power. I don't mind evolving something if it's something I'll probably end up dropping in the post-game unless I absolutely despise the evolution(s), but I'd rather keep Pok?mon at my favorite stage of their line for those I plan to use long-term (especially my Shinies). (I don't hate Blastoise, but I'd sooner use Wartortle any day! I also adore Lickitung, but Lickilicky disgusts me.)

Favorite Method of Evolution?

I always thought the Evolution Stones were really cool.

Do you have any ideas for new methods of Evolution?

I'm sure I've had some in the past, but none are coming to me at the moment. However, I do hope that future evolutions of previous-generation Pok?mon don't require level-up (unless they add method of decreasing a Pok?mon's level) since we may already have the pre-evolutions raised to lv100.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back