• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

least favorite game

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • as far as i can recall, the player can only control pikachu and no other pokemon. unless your favourite pokemon was the cute little mascot, this isn't exactly ideal for those who want various choices to "race" with. that and iirc the game was mostly played with touch controls? i suppose it was a way to utilize the touch screen of the DS at the time, but it just... wasn't fun for me. i've sincerely tried to give this a shot and i've played this for a few hours, but i just couldn't.

Yeah, that's right. Could only play as Pikachu. and it was only touch controls.

i beat this game in about two hours or something, there's no replay value.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • None! :3 There are no fucking bad main series games. All of them are enjoyable because there is a lot of work put into each one, much more than you would like to imagine.

Complaining about glaring aspects of certain games, sure. But be real, all of them are good to a certain extent.

Years
  • Gen 7 for me. Hated everything about that gen especially the Ultra beasts and their designs.

Same here, Gen 7 really didn't have any redeeming qualities to me and they killed mega, so yeah, fuck Gen 7. Can't even replay the games because of all of the unskippable cutscenes and handholding.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Definitely Yellow. On top of all the Gen 1 glaring issues that make it impossible to replay nowadays, you have Pikachu and all the anime fan-service. I can't imagine anything worse than that.

Black & White are close ones. In my first and only playthrough I struggled a lot to find Pokémon I liked for my team because you're forced to use Unova Pokémon only and I didn't like many of them (I was especially annoyed at those that looked like obvious Gen 1 replacements or Pokédex fillers). B2/W2 on the other hand were amazing.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    None! :3 There are no fucking bad main series games. All of them are enjoyable because there is a lot of work put into each one, much more than you would like to imagine.

Complaining about glaring aspects of certain games, sure. But be real, all of them are good to a certain extent.
    I mean, it's ok to not think that every entry in a series you like is a masterpiece, or at least accept that it's valid for other people to not share your opinion. Nevermind that "least favorite" isn't always exactly the same thing as "bad".

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • If we include LGP/E then they are the automatic winner (loser? lol). Like you just can't get worse than a super conservative remake of a Gameboy game in 2018 for $60 on the same console that runs Breath of the Wild. These games were also released during a time where I was already sick to death of Gen I pandering, and these games only had Gen I Pokemon.

Otherwise, Sun/Moon are an incredibly low point. I did not like the region. Perhaps because I find no interest in tropical locales, but beyond that it also felt very limited. There were too many narrow paths, the region felt very closed in. The music was for the most part super disappointing.

One feature that really irritated the heck out of me was the SOS wild Pokemon feature. On paper, it was a neat idea and allowed for some neat easter eggs. However, actually playing the game with it was miserable. Catching Pokemon was annoying because they could just keep on spawning more and more Pokemon next to them making it impossible to catch them. And this was the feature that made me turn on Exp Share All and just go on with the game, because training Pokemon with that was a pain in the rear. They always kept on getting double teamed and it was really frustrating. Just a terrible feature in execution. US/UM improved upon it a lot, but I'm not at all sad that it is gone in entirety in Sword/Shield.

Otherwise, I found the difficulty to be all over the place. Now I personally like my games to be relaxing. I like the idea that as long as I train my Pokemon to a high enough level everything is doable pretty easily. Sun/Moon made my Pokemon feel weaker and some battles were just randomly super hard even though my Pokemon were leveled quite a bit higher and should have had no trouble, but then there are battles like the rival where the AI is laughably bad. S/M could not make up their mind on what they wanted to be and ultimately they didn't do any of this well at all.

Also, some of the Pokemon are horrible like Incineroar and pretty much every Ultra Beast. I don't usually judge generations by Pokemon, but Gen VII had some of the worst. If the Ultra Beasts never return I'm actually okay with that. They are all abominations in my eyes.

Years
  • FRLG. I replay all games, but never want to replay these. I honestly don't really even have a reason why... i just don't like them. I should give them another chance I suppose, but when I think of my least favorite game of the main series these come to mind.

Years
  • I'm gonna have to go with Gen 7, S/M and US/UM.

While I do still enjoy them, it just took me sooooo long to actually finish the main story to the game. I restarted the game multiple times because of the huge gaps that I took between playing it I'd forget what I was doing.
    The story doesn't really resonate with me, the amount of hand holding it does is console-throwing-ly annoying, and the fact that it's split up into islands does my head in because I can never remember what route is on which island.
    Also if that rotom dex asks me to take a picture of my pokemon one more time I don't know what I'll do.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Main series: Ruby/Sapphire. Always assembles a full team of new Pokemon. Usually fills most team slots by the fourth or fifth gym. Encountered very few appealing Pokemon by that point. Detracts heavily from the experience when you do not like your team.

Cannot recall the party for certain. Guesses:
    - Treecko: The least enthusiastic starter selection (in terms of looks) across all generations, past and future.
    - Lotad: Turned into something goofy.
    - Taillow: Okay, but somewhat generic.
    - Electrike: Thumbs-up.
    - Makuhita: Not a sumo wrestler fan (although effective in battle)

Maybe Torkoal as the sixth? (Decent, but not amazing.) Created some good designs, particularly Flygon. Never found out until lategame or postgame, due to being a blind playthrough.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    luckily for me, if I'm not going to like a game I can usually tell beforehand and just don't buy it.
    But I also went through a phase were I was tired of/bored by pokemon. I guess it was the lack of innovation/passion, because my favorite games have all been the spin-ofs.

I skipped gen 8, because that looked like a crap show before it even released, so I guess I'll say sun & moon.
    yeah the cut scenes were annoying and our "rival" and fake villain team were also just annoying.

But the problem was worse than that, I think that was the only pokemon game I just gave up playing.

After I finished the plot and caught solgaleo, I just completely lost interest.

I'm pretty sure if I ever load that game again, I'd find myself still at the foot of the elite four trail or whatever.

Taking photos was cool I guess, and the graphics were great, but I really couldn't be bothered to ever finish that thing,
    and I don't really know why, though I'm sure its a combination of things.

maybe its the linear map thing, there weren't really any hidden secrets, and in that game to progress you pretty much were forced to go everywhere and do everything
    so I guess it felt like there was nothing more to see.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Main line games: Platinum
    This year I finally got around playing it. Over years I've always heard how great it is and how it is supposedly the best game in the series. But I did not see any of that. It's gen 4 slow, it Sinnoh just looks so boring, why do towns, routes and dungeons look so uninspired and empty? Did they not know how to fill all the space? The evil team was ok but nothing outstanding, story was never my main focus in Pokemon games, but this one definitely didn't stand out from all the rest, grinding was a slog,...
    Honestly, it's not awful. But it definitely is not as good as people make it out to be.

Side line games: PMD: Gates to Infinity
    Rarely does a game make me angry. Even rarer is a game that makes me so angry I quite literally want to throw it against a wall. This game is such a rare case. I can't even say what exactly makes me hate this game so much, all I remember is that I really hated playing it and I still don't know how I even managed to beat it. What I do know is that I'll never touch it again.

Years
  • well, I would say gen7 games. I haven't played sun/moon but ultramoon and personally it wasn't so good. on the one hand I appreciated the fact that for the first time there were changes to some "rules" that have always been in the pokemon games, like the gyms or HM or legendary pokemon that couldn't evolve. Anyway, i found the story not interesting and full of things that should have been explained better. The idea of the multiverse and the ultrabeasts was super cool, but they had to make it better. Pokemon X/Y story wasn't good at all as well for me, but I personally like more the new gen6 pokemon than the gen7 pokemon, just like i prefer mega evolution over z moves

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    For the main games, I guess Gen VII? Like, it's not that I actually don't like it per se, it's more a question of "I never bothered to actually finish it despite having it."

I actually don't like BW2 but I did finish that, however begrudgingly (but only due to the magic of turbo, so there's that too).

I'm strongly considering getting a Switch, so maybe I'll get Sword or Shield and my opinion will change, but I think it's somewhat unlikely I'll get one.

As for side-games, Gates to Infinity. I actually loved the first PMD and then I had that game that much like Megan just sent me into a rage for reasons I don't really remember, lol. The cartridge is still sitting in a bookshelf somewhere over here but I don't think I'll ever play that again.

It felt grindy and I hated the way they used Virizion, I guess?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Side games such as Shuffle or Rumble; Two of these are pay-to-win well rumble is more pay-to-win. I don't enjoy games favoring too much on micro-transcations and yes I see pokemon master as pay-to-win because again micro-transactions

I feel I don't enjoy Kalos or Gen6 very much, The gym leaders and pokemon leagues are waaaay easier than the trainers (I mean yes, we have EXP share that is on by default) and too much unneeded rivals which a lot of them are kinda shifted away by Calem/Selena (Seriously, if you don't have the time to put content for them and just tiny bit, why the bother)

Years
  • Hmmm.... hard to pick.

but to me Black/White is probably the most forgettable. Not a fan of a lot of the mons either.
    Also the sequels had way too little differences imo...

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    It would have to be a tie between sword-shield and red-blue but if I had to pick one i would have to pick red-blue. both because the lack of real story. I gave sword and shield a brake because the Pokemon have never looked better

Same here, Gen 7 really didn't have any redeeming qualities to me and they killed mega, so yeah, Can't even replay the games because of all of the unskippable cutscenes and handholding.

I'm sorry. You can chase me out with torches and pitch forks, but I frankly have gen 7 is at the top for me. Because of the great story. I stand by my opinion, you don't have to like it but don't say it doesn't have redeeming qualities

Just wanted to say that some people like it. So please dont act like no-one likes them

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back