• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"There's too many Pokemon!"

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In your opinion, what would be just too many Pokemon? I honestly think that over 1,000 would be too many, but we're still give or take 102 Pokemon away from that number.

While I don't think we'll ever stop getting new Pokemon, by the way, I do think after 1,000 that would be too many for me, personally. Luckily, ever since we reached gen six we've getting <100 new Pokemon a region, and while I'll welcome any new ones though, after 1k, of course.

Years
  • i'm pretty used to the number of pokemon we have now, but i think about.. 1.5k+ is where i would personally be like "well damn that's a lot"

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Hm. Identifies no clear number. Would be okay with 2000+, provided distinct designs. Comes down to meeting one and/or two criteria within a new generation:
    - Lots of Pokemon similar to existing Pokemon (examples: Pikachu clones, Ledian and Orbeetle, Zubat and Woobat, and Maractus and Cacturne)
    - Lots of Pokemon with little use (see: baby Pokemon)

Reached this point with legendaries, actually, but not ordinary Pokemon. Felt like this since Diamond/Pearl. Never uses them or perhaps even seen them (such as Volcanion).

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I think it's kind of crazy that we're going to hit 1000 Pokémon soon, but honestly, I'm okay with them continuing to add more Pokémon as long as we get quality games.

Years
    • Seen today
    As long as we keep getting some new Pokémon with interesting typings, new signature abilities/moves, unique concepts and decent designs, I think the number doesn't really matter. Like everyone I guess, I've done a lot of playthroughs accross different Pokémon games and, since I don't to repeat myself and keep using the same mons over and over again, I like to explore different Pokémon on each playthrough, so I allways welcome having more options to build my team.

There are still cool typings that have not been done and could potentially result in new interesting creatures, like Ground-Fairy, Electric-Fighting, Grass-Fire, Bug-Dark, etc. and there's room for creativity (Gen 7 and 8 still introduced a good number of Pokémon that have unique traits and are so fun to play with). Of course we could argue that there are allways some uninspired "filler" Pokémon that serve no purpose and don't really have much reason to exist, but that also happened in older gens, I mean, just look at things like the Wurmple line in Hoenn.

So, if we ever just start getting creatures that add nothing new to the table, I guess that would mean that we have too many. Adding fewer (but more unique/creative) Pokémon seems like a good way to at least not bloating the dex with too many creatures that have little purpose to exist.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I mean, it's really a question of expectations. Since the National Dex was a thing until recently, the number of Pokémon kept in our minds but there are over 1400 Digimon and nobody really cares because there's no expectations that they'll all be together at the same time.

Which is part of why Game Freak did Dexit and make it clear the National Dex is not coming back. Which is why, I don't think there'll ever be a case of "too many" Pokémon, when you start introducing and removing Pokémon as you please, you'll eventually get a lot of remixes, and similar Pokémon but that's OK because you'll likely never have the option to compare them again.

Years
  • As long as there aren't too many repeat designs of mons that already exist or dex filler mons, the number really does not matter to me lol
    Would really like to see what they come up with for the currently unused type combos too.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    It's definitely not sustainable. I remember back when the Johto games dropped how stunned I was to see all new Pokes beyond the original 150. Since then, as I've watched it just grow and grow, I've wondered if they're just going to continue to add to this number because it's about to hit a point where I just can't remember them all anymore, and that honestly gives me stress because I've never been in a position where I didn't know all the Pokemon before, lol.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm at a point where there are too many because there are so many low quality Pokemon out there. Either just terrible design or useless. I think they should have implemented a quality before quantity mindset way before gen VI and even then we still get duds.

Geewithabee

Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    I really wonder if, at some point in the future, they'll actually try to "reboot" the series and keep only the confirmed known and loved mons while just ditching the rest of the bloat.

Years
  • Almost at a 1000 and we still haven't done all possible type combos. Game Freak needs to step up, I need my Ice Poison type pronto.

Geewithabee

Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    You're right, I guess it is kind of ridiculous that they haven't done at least one of every possible type combo.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Honestly none. It's a lot easier to not be overwhelmed by the total number when they're broken down into much smaller numbers each generation. I have plenty of time to remember every name and typing of Galar Pokémon, for example, before we move onto the next gen! So by the time the next 100-something new mons get revealed I already know the previous ones. Helps me not feel overwhelmed or think the total is too much, so as long as they continue with that trend they can easily end up with thousands of Pokémon without me feeling swamped by them all 👍 and I still think they have plenty of good ideas for designs 8 gens later so we'll see when they don't become to my taste anymore lol.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • There are a lot Pokemon it's true, but I personally don't think x number will make me say there's too many Pokemon, even tho I do forgot about some Pokemon. I'll be real, I felt that gen 8 Pokemon designs were one of the weakest and more disappointing, especially when my favourite Pokemon gens based on designs were 5-7 so it felt lackluster but there are some really good designs from that gen (Dragapult <3). But I too would love to see more unused type combinations used and there are still a lot of animals, concepts, objects, etc begging to be Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I really wonder if, at some point in the future, they'll actually try to "reboot" the series and keep only the confirmed known and loved mons while just ditching the rest of the bloat.

I've thought this myself and I think there's a strong possibility it may happen one day. I know some people may argue it won't because of the meltdown that happened with "dexit" during sword/shield, but I think that freak out occurred in part because the games looked lackluster and turned out to be so. If they produced a worthwhile game and limited Pokemon I think there would be less outcry. Plus sword/shield sales did fine so there was a lot of noise for nothing... and now it's clear there isn't a reason to not limit the Pokemon because there isn't any repercussions.

Geewithabee

Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Yeah, I just imagine it's going to get harder over the years each time they have to come up with ~100 new designs when they're already having to come up with unique gameplay features to set their Gen apart from everything before it. There were Megas, then Z-Moves, now they turn into Macy's parade balloons. What will the next gimmicks be, and can they keep adding around a hundred new mon each time without the ideas getting crappier?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I'm sort of fine with the amount of Pokémon we have now. I mean, I can recognize them all by name and design, but I feel like it'd have been much better had there been just a bit fewer Pokémon. Some of them are too similar to others, or are simply outclassed by them. I mean, why do we need a new early-game Normal-type every generation? Do Silcoon and Cascoon really need to be different Pokémon? Why do we have Fearow when Pidgeot and Dodrio already exist? Does Unown even need to be a Pokémon?

I suppose that sort of "overlap" is what makes Pokémon somewhat true to reality, because not every species is that distinct from one another, but still, from a game design standpoint, there are some Pokémon that were better off not filling the dex. There aren't too many Pokémon for me, but I can easily understand why some people think otherwise.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I thought we had too many after Gen V haha. They will just keep making more, at this point. Strangely, I can almost recall the name and types of most of them... Even from the games I haven't played. Why did I evolve with a pokémon-compartment in my brain ._. it could have been so much better used for other things.

Back