• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV Doctor Who Discussion Thread

Years
Doctor Who is good because it's funny watching a man trying to be the cleverest person in the room by prattling off sci-fi mumbo jumbo. Just won't work with a woman and I don't think the shows writers will change the character that much.

Yeah though. historic history

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I honestly just see it as yet another great actor taking on the Doctor mantle. I'm happy that it's Whittaker and a girl though, because I think she's cool, and I think turning things upside down like this might be the refreshing push the Moffatized show needs to become something more interesting again.

Those who say they'll drop the show now just because the Doctor is a woman, before they have even seen her perform in the role, those are frankly ridiculous. Besides, idk why guys would be angry about this - the Doctor is now an attractive girl, where even is the problem in that ahha

Doctor Who is good because it's funny watching a man trying to be the cleverest person in the room by prattling off sci-fi mumbo jumbo. Just won't work with a woman and I don't think the shows writers will change the character that much.

Yeah though. historic history
Why wouldn't that work with a woman? Sounds like you've simply got some forlorn notions of gender roles, to me d:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
But yeah I'm pleased, she definitely looks the part. I just hope they don't do what they did with Bill being a lesbian and make jokes about it every 5 seconds.
This 100%. I feel like Bill lost a lot of merit as a companion when she just seemed to become "the lesbian one". I love that they went for this angle and the LGBT representation on such a popular show was just fantastic, but it could have been done a lot better. For the first few episodes it was really nice and refreshing to see but after a while it really did just feel like they wanted to point it out at every opportunity. "HEY AUDIENCE DID YOU SEE WE INCLUDED A LESBIAN CHARACTER?? WOAH THAT'S SO COOL AND INTERESTING HEY LOOK SHE'S STILL A LESBIAN IN THIS SCENE TOO WOO"

Years
Why wouldn't that work with a woman? Sounds like you've simply got some forlorn notions of gender roles, to me d:

Nothing to do with gender roles. Sounds like you've simply been spending too much time on Tumblr, to me d:

It wouldn't be as funny with a woman because in general men are the ones that go out of the way to prove that they're the smartest person in the room.For me The Doctor has always been funny as an extreme parody of this. Would just be cringey giving a woman those sort of lines.

A well written female Doctor could be great but do you genuinely have faith that the current writers can do that? I'm not so sure.

Lucky for those writers that even if it's sucks people will love it because LMAO MALE TEARS.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
So you're just sexist then...

I just hope the new doctor can prove her haters wrong. People are saying she'll be bad despite her not even having a chance yet to prove that she can do a good job as the doctor.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
All of it, pretty much. You're saying that women aren't as funny as men and if they try to be, it would be 'cringy'. And you make it sound as if only men try to look smart.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Either way we're in this thread to have fun talking about Doctor Who, not to crank down on views that differ from our own. Lipstick can have their belief that DW won't be as good now, and me and others can have ours that DW might finally become better again.

What do you guys think the new companion will be like? Male? Female? Several? Alien?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I'll take that as my cue to leave then as discussion with different opinions isn't fun.

Nice to see a 'super' moderator happy to let somebody unjustly calling another member a bigot go too.
You're welcome to stay and discuss Doctor Who. But this isn't D&D; there's no need to derail the thread with discussions about who's sexist or not. But by all means, discuss things calmly here if it seems related to the topic at hand.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
So the new Doctor Who is to be a woman. 'Half of the fanbase used Outrage.'

In all seriousness the actress chosen is an attractive woman and a significant departure from the last actor to play the Doctor. I must admit I know little of the actress but it's the first time I have been intrigued by a new Doctor in a while.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I think the companion will be male, but perhaps of the age the characters in Class were. Wouldn't mind another boyfriend/girlfriend duo in the TARDIS with the Doctor either.

Years
I think the companion will be male, but perhaps of the age the characters in Class were. Wouldn't mind another boyfriend/girlfriend duo in the TARDIS with the Doctor either.

I'm definitely on the idea of a male companion, since it'll still fit with that one male and one female approach with the protagonist duo.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It's been some time since I've last watched Doctor Who, but I would say I'm open to Jodie as well; I'm intrigued to see where things go with the gender change.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Oh dear, seems like a tetchy subject.

One that I am very much on the 'pro-Jodie' side for! I haven't as such watched the series in a while (not full seasons anyway), but I think this is the breath of fresh air that Doctor Who needed. Not only to mention there's been hints of this happening throughout the previous season ANYWAY. The only problem with this, is that I now need to catch up so I have watched everything up to that point.

I'm currently on Ecclestone as the last full season I watched.

Welp.
Season 1 is great though! Actual continuity between episodes and time eras, and good characters that join them on the TARDIS and all. But Tennant is the top notch Doctor and S3 and S4 are <33333 I absolutely loved the episodes with Martha and Donna together, and the conclusion of S3, and the very first River Song episodes... You have a lot of good stuff ahead of you :)

I hope they won't put a female companion in the TARDIS now, that would be a bit too femaly tbqh. We need a good mix.

Something new and cool would be if they put... Say a young man and his father, or two brothers in the TARDIS. The older one could be highly skeptical of aliens and weird stuff and get them in trouble because he's angry in the beginning or something, but he'll soften up over the course of S11 and at the end he'll end up becoming the king or protector on an alien world somewhere while the son/younger brother chooses to go with the Doctor in the TARDIS after some tear inducing angsty choices. :') And over the course of S12 they can visit the king/protector in his world sometimes, somewhat like with Jenny and Madam Vastra. c: /wild imagination

Years
Just picked back up my catch-up attempt of Doctor Who. I originally stopped watching the show around when Amy & Rory left the show, but I couldn't remember anything that really happened after the mid-season break of season six. As well as catching up, I thought I would enjoy all my favourite older episodes so I started all over again with Ecclestone and hammered through seasons 1-6 until pausing for a bit. I've just picked back up with the 2011 Christmas special, which was surprisingly good.

I'm not looking forward to the Capaldi seasons because everything I've seen of them so far is just awful. I'm sure it won't really be that bad, Dr.Who does have a tendency to look terrible on face value after all.

Hopefully I'll be caught up in time for the new Doctor's season. I don't know much about Whittaker, but I'm sure it will be a refreshing change for the series. I find it interesting that Kris Marshall is now tipped to be the companion, that would be funny after all the speculation of him being the Doctor.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I find it interesting that Kris Marshall is now tipped to be the companion, that would be funny after all the speculation of him being the Doctor.

His agent said he is not the next companion.

Back