• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Dream World

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • The Dream World was a generation five computer game that could only be accessed if you tucked your Pokemon in through game sync. While in the Dream World, you could meet other Pokemon and play minigames with them to have them join you in your game. They will have their hidden ability. You could also decorate your house and grow berries. This was the only way to grow berries in Generation V back in the day.

After you were done playing, you'd awaken your Pokemon from Game Sync, and any Pokemon you befriended there would appear in the Entree Forest. You would capture them with Dream Balls which used to be very useful Pokeballs back in the day.

Nowadays the Dream World has (obviously) been shut down making a lot of Pokemon that did have their hidden abilities extremely difficult to get now. It also makes game sync extremely useless, not that Nintendo Wifi is open anymore these days (without using an exploit), but still.

I loved the Dream World, btw, it was one of the better Gen V features. But the Dream World art? Terrible. 0/10. We don't talk about those Dream World artwork for all 649 Pokemon at the time.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i never did dream world actually. i never had any interest tbh. but like what's wrong w the dream world artwork? i liked it. vibrant colors and some of the poses had more personality than the standard sugimori art. i found the new art style to be a nice touch.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • i never did dream world actually. i never had any interest tbh. but like what's wrong w the dream world artwork? i liked it. vibrant colors and some of the poses had more personality than the standard sugimori art. i found the new art style to be a nice touch.

i just never really was a fan of the dream world artwork. I don't know why. not all of them were bad, tho, I liked Muuna's Dream World art & the starters. Just not... all of them.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I never used it. I think I wasn't able to figure out how to use it for some reason lol and had little motivation to since at the time I wasn't interested in hidden abilities

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I had a DS at the time and for whatever reason only 3DS's could connect to Dream World so I could never use it. I probably wouldn't have had any interest in it anyway, so it's not like I was missing out on anything.

Years
  • Never had a working wifi connection so I hardly used it, feels like I missed out sometimes honestly. Did like the art though personally, even if it was very simplistic!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I used it once or twice - in my DS, so I'm not sure why some people here are saying it was 3DS only? In fact, I'm pretty sure the 3DS wasn't even out when the Dream World was first released. It was cute - had a couple of fun minigames but nothing I really crave.

I think that between Pokemon Amie and later PokePelago the experience was more or less recreated with a lot less hassle, so, yay I guess?

I will disagree with OP about the Dream World art though, it was fine. It was just bolder, for the lack of a better word. Thicker outlines, more vibrant colors, stuff like that.

Years
  • Never had a working wifi connection so I hardly used it, feels like I missed out sometimes honestly. Did like the art though personally, even if it was very simplistic!

the art was my favorite thing! so useful for Youtube thumbnails.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • I did use the Dream World some rare times, but tbh it wasn't that outstanding. Personally, I feel it could have been done better if it was simpler, like the Pokéwalker. It just took too much time and effort for something meant to be a side thing.

The art was great at times, but often looked very clunky...Butterfree for example looks gorgeous, but Pidgeot...Ugh. How do Pidgeot's Gen V sprites look so beautiful, but it's DW artwork is that monstrosity?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • I never actually used the dream world for someone reason. I think it was because I wasn't too aware of what it had to offer, and I wasn't competitive at the time as my goal was to beat the main game, post game and then level up my Pokémon to 100.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Even if you were into competitive, all you needed to do was have someone trade you a dream world ability Pokemon and then you could breed it.

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • I literally just completely missed the Dream World as a kid lmao, idk how or why since I explored every nook and cranny of Gen 5

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
  • I think about how much I miss the Dream World pretty often actually.. It was a really neat feature, a good way to take a break from normal game play, a fun way to interact with friends online, and an interesting way to meet new Pokemon for your adventure! I really wish someone could bring it back,even if it wouldn't connect to a real game, mostly for nostalgic reasons for me.

Years
  • Aww, I remember never being able to figure out the Dream World. I would walk around in the forest for hours, but never find anything :(

Music was pretty jammin tho

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I unfortunately miss out on that feature. Back then I didn't even know that Hidden Abilities where a thing. ^^"

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    I missed out on the dream world. I may of started with pearl but at the time X and Y where being promoted. My mom couldn't afford a 3DS so she got me a second hand DSLite

Years
  • I used Dream world a few times but I never really got too into it. Found it to be a cool little feature like an extra part of the game but I lost interest after a while. Still used it occasionally since then until it shut down.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I never knew how to use the DS's Wi-Fi functions or anything, so I wasn't that into in the Dream World. A dang shame that some of Generation V, such as growing Berries, was programmed with a now defunct service in mind.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • I loved the Dream World, and wish they'd do something similar (like a phone app would be perfect). It just sucked how unnecessarily complicated it was. All the unneeded steps to transfer Pokémon to and fro, the excessive time limits, and just how slow so much of it was.

Back