• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Hey, buddy, wanna try some anime?

Years
  • So, basically, how did you get into anime?

How long have you been into anime?

Have you ever roped your friends into liking anime? Do you do this so often that you could be considered the "pusher" of anime paraphernalia among your friend group?

Are you constantly slipping further into the rabbit hole that is anime addiction? How deep in are you? Are you okay? Do you need help? Do you want help?

did i just start my own intervention?

pkmin3033

I got into anime in...2003, I think? I watched the first part of Ghost in the Shell in an art class. I forget the reasons why. I was totally blown away by it; I didn't know that anime was a separate thing from regular cartoons and that there were things like this.

But in reality I'd been watching anime since I was five or six, when I used to get up at ungodly hours in the morning to watch Sailor Moon. Then I found out I'd been watching anime most of my life, because Pokemon, Digimon, and Cardcaptors were all anime. Then Yu-Gi-Oh! happened. God, did Yu-Gi-Oh! happen. Things escalated from there, as I realised that I'd actually been really into this stuff for pretty much all my life and that there was a lot of it out there that I'd never even heard of, with a lot of it significantly more exciting than long-running series with kids as their target audience.

When I had friends - about twelve years ago now, haha - I was fairly "new" to anime in the sense that I didn't really know much about it beyond the shows I'd grown up with, so I was more inclined to ask for recommendations...and I'm still very reluctant to give any out now, because I just watch what I like and don't really consider myself particularly knowledgeable about anime as a media. I just know what I like and what I don't.

If anything I want help getting in even deeper. I've not watched a show that has really hooked me in years, and I'm starting to lose interest in things. It doesn't hold my attention the way it used to. I had a period where I'd watch 5-6 episodes a day, now it's a struggle just to watch 1 sometimes.

Help me, senpai.

Years
  • Like most Brits in my age group I had Pokemon, Cardcaptors and Yugioh as a kid. Couple of DVDs too, watched Kiki's Delivery Service loads.

Got into weeb stuff in around 2005 or 2006 but didn't start with anime until 2007 where I saw dubbed Blood+. Didn't watch a huge amount of anime for the next few years (because I still had friends) but in 2010 I really got into it properly. I joined this place not long after I started rewatching Pokemon and then that summer I started watching seasonal anime.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Through Pokemon (I watched it earlier than what I mention below but I don't consider this real start) and later Animax.

Probably around 2005-2006...?

I never tried to bring anyone to anime. I only talk about anime with other anime fans.

When you gaze into abyss, abyss also gazes into you.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    My brothers always watched it and I just got into it that way. The first one I watched was probably Cardcaptor Sakura, out of some very old VHSs my brothers had lying around. The second one was probably Jewelpet Twinkle?

I have talked about anime to some friends in school and many of them actually watched Shingeki no Kyoujin and liked it, which is surprising to me ^-^;.

Years
  • I always watched Pokemon as many kids did, and more casually Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball, etc. But I didn't start branching out until I was about 2005 when I started watching Toonami and Adult Swim for stuff like Naruto, Inuyasha, Fullmetal Alchemist and others. Basics. Stuck with it.

Friends already had similar interests. I find stuff on my own and easily take recommendations from friends. But I don't really recommend things to people myself, I think... Although I will talk about the things I like.

Years
  • I basically started watching anime as a kid - the standard Pokemon, Digimon etc. Plus the Adult Swim stuff when I was inevitably awake during the middle of the night. From then on I would watch that.

I didn't properly get into anime though until I was in my teens. Now I've pretty much gone full weeb after getting sick. I've had a lot of spare time which has resulted in me watching a shitload of anime. I regret none of the time I've spent on it either lmao.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Probably when they aired the first season of Pokemon. Then again, it being Pokemon, it would be more likely to say Dragon Ball, since it was pretty much the first anime series I watched that didn't have any merch people were trading around at school.

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
    Years
  • The only anime I've ever watched is Pokemon and Dragon Ball.

I don't what else to watch, does anybody have any suggestions? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    One Punch Man or My Hero Academia are the ones I'd suggest. That or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

For me there's the obvious Pokemon, but I think that I really got into anime very recently, with Sword Art Online. I know, it's basically considered the bottom of the barrel when it comes to anime, but it was the first anime I watched seriously. Now, looking back on it, it wasn't really very good, and I think that if I tried to watch it now I wouldn't be able to get past the first couple episodes. But, everyone has to start somewhere, and that's where it started for me.

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NJ
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    my first anime was sailor moon, back before i even knew what anime was. before i went to school i always got up to watch sailor moon, dbz, and pokemon before my bus came at 7:30am then i came home and watch more pokemon and yugioh about a year after it came out. afterward i dropped out of anime still not knowing what it was and got back into it in 2010 when i was recommended to watch Negima! which was a great watch. only shows before this I followed was DBZ.

I prefer to binge watch anime, so when I do watch something now I will watch a whole series or 2 in a month's time and then go upwards of 6 months or more before I watch another show again. unless it's something like Dragon ball Super which I'm watching every week on Toonami.

Years
  • When I was in elementary school and my ex best friend talked about Death Note. I didn't know it was anime at the time, but Hulu suggested a bunch of other anime alongside it like Soul Eater, Fullmetal Alchemist, Blue Exorcist, et cetera, and that's how I began.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Don I'm not sure if you're talking about anime or drugs here

But if we're talking about anime and not drugs, I want to say I started with Pokemon, but i think the first anime I ever watched (some of it anyway) was Sailor Moon with my sisters. Or maybe it was Pokemon. Or maybe at the same time? It's like how I can't remember if my first video game was Grandia or Pokemon Yellow or if they were at the same time. My memory sucks.

Never hit addict levels of watching. Have always been really lazy about it and generally just wait for my sisters to bring stuff home to watch or read and if I feel like it lol, but have still managed to watch stuff steadily but veeeeeeeeeery slowly over the years. Probably have never fully dropped it because of my sisters (who are really really into it).

Years

I technically always was because I grew up watching Shaman King, Pokemon, Digimon and such on 4kids (Mostly VHS tapes of Pokemon, as 4kids was only on Saturdays). But I really got into it around middle school because my second oldest brother was watching it as he studied Japanese with a a girl over Skype.

Anywhere from 9 to 10 years.

Have you ever roped your friends into liking anime? Do you do this so often that you could be considered the "pusher" of anime paraphernalia among your friend group?

Not really. I've tried to get some people to watch anime. I guess one of my friends did eventually, but I think that's because he always had an interest in Super Sentai, Pokemon and Kamen Rider.

Are you constantly slipping further into the rabbit hole that is anime addiction? How deep in are you? Are you okay? Do you need help? Do you want help?

I already went through my weeb/Chuunibyou phase - even though I'm not Japanese and always knew this. Now and again, I get heavily into anime for about a month, then lose some interest. I've always been like this, so I think I'm fine.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • someone on the internet told me to watch sword art online because it was the "greatest thing ever". I didn't think it was that bad then realized there was a whole other world of ~20 minute action I could watch mindlessly (not as long as American shows that are like ~40 mins and I get bored quickly haha), so then I watched Fairy Tail (I think it was ending the Edolas arc when I caught up to the airing series... or maybe the one after that? I can't remember exactly, but I definitely know Fairy Tail was my 2nd anime, and Magi: Labyrinth of Magic was my 3rd.

did i just start my own intervention?

I think I have more things completed on myanimelist but maybe I have more movies.... so IDK how much help I can be...... each day I fall further from grace

Years
  • I suppose I should answer my own questions:

So, basically, how did you get into anime?
    Pokemon, initially, and this led into finding out about Toonami and DBZ from my cousins, which led to Yu Yu Hakusho which eventually led to my brother getting a Shonen Jump subscription for a bit, which eventually led us back to Adult Swim's anime block with Bleach and eventually onto further things when I discovered scanlations in 2009 which brought me from action shonen series on into harem shonen series, and from there it's slowly snowballed into CUTE GIRLS DOING CUTE THINGS ALL THE TIME.

Basically since like 2002 with actually knowing it was anime, now that I think about it. 2009 was a real turning point, though.

I may or may not be directly or indirectly responsible for around 5 different people being into anime offline. There's no telling how many people I've directly or indirectly pushed that direction online. I was also the friend that got us all going to conventions, and I got some of us to start buying merch because of that.

I think I might be. VERY DEEP. I'M OKAY, DAMMIT. I DON'T YOUR HELP MOM LEAVE ME ALONE GET OUT OF MY ROOM!!!!!!! I'M WATCHING ANIME!!!

when i was recommended to watch Negima! which was a great watch.

Personally, I always found this to be a better read than watch, but that may be the Negima! manga fanboy in me showing up. Ken Akamatsu's works were all quite fun.

Don I'm not sure if you're talking about anime or drugs here

Maybe I mean both.

I think I have more things completed on myanimelist but maybe I have more movies.... so IDK how much help I can be...... each day I fall further from grace

Farther from grace, and further down the path of bliss, really. I don't really want help, though my wallet wants out of this arrangement with the abuse it suffers from buying merch.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    Someone sent me a link to the first episode of Bleach on YouTube and told me to watch it. I did, and the rest is history.

Since the aforementioned incident, which happened in the summer of 2006.

Have you ever roped your friends into liking anime? Do you do this so often that you could be considered the "pusher" of anime paraphernalia among your friend group?Not really. Among my oldest friends and I, I was the last to get into anime. Thus I never had the chance. I have, however, roped friends into liking particular anime.

Are you constantly slipping further into the rabbit hole that is anime addiction? How deep in are you? Are you okay? Do you need help? Do you want help?Quite the opposite really. I wish I had more time to slip into the rabbit hole, but I don't. Though on the bright side I am extremely selective with the anime I do fangirl over, so everything I watch is fantastic. <3

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I too watched Pokemon and Sailor Moon as a kid not aware of what anime was at the time. It wasn't until a fews later in middle school where I had a Japanese classmate, who would bring his manga to class, that my interest started to develop. Remember staying up late on school nights and watching those early 2000 shows that aired on Adult Swim. You know, Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, Inuyasha, Blue Gender, FLCL and a few others (I think Gundam was there) that slip my mind at the moment. Nowadays, I don't watch as much as I use to as I'd rather spend my free playing a game than watching a show. That being said, I'm a fan of the older mecha genre, so whenever I find something of that nature, I always give it a watch. Oh yeah, and One Piece, I've been watching that damn show since 2004 I think? I've stuck with it this long that's impossible for me to drop it now despite my waning interest over the last few years.

Back