• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Starter from Previous Generations.

Years
  • Gen 1. Charmander and Bulbasaur because squirtle is bad haha
    Gen 2. Chikorita but it couldve been Totodile as well
    Gen 3. Torchic 100%
    Gen 4. Chimchar duh
    Gen 5. Snivy but Oshawatt is close because of the anime
    Gen 6. Froakie cause Greninja is a beast
    Gen 7. Popplio and Rowlet are my all time favourite starters so yahh

pkmin3033

Kanto: It used to be Charmander, but I think I prefer Bulbasaur now. I'm pretty sick of the Charmander line tbh.
    Johto: Totodile. Totodile is awesome.
    Hoenn: Torchic, although god do I hate its evolutions. Evolution-wise Mudkip has the best design. Treecko can go and die in a fire.
    Sinnoh: Piplup is the correct answer.
    Unova: I hate them all equally. Trash generation.
    Kalos: Fennekin, although I hate its evolutions.
    Alola: Rowlet. Another "only the first stage is good" starter.

Years
  • Kanto: Bulbasaur, but both Squirtle and Charmander are really close behind.
    Johto: All of them. But if have to choose only one, then Chikorita.
    Hoenn: Mudkip and Treecko. Torchic is overrated.
    Sinnoh: Don't really like them, but I think I would go with Turtwig or Piplup.
    Unova: Tepig. I was never fan of Snivy and Oshawott has terrible final evolution.
    Kalos: I chose Froakie as my starter in these games, but I don't mind the other two.
    Alola: Rowlet.

Seaus

Obnoxious
    Years
  • Gen 1,
    I'd have to go with Squirtle, he was my first ever Pokemon so I hold him deep to my heart.

Gen 2,
    Probably Cyndaquil, I have almost always have chosen Cyndaquil as my starter whenever traveling through johto.

Gen 3,
    Treecko. Is there even anything to say here? Just the coolest starter and a total dude.

Gen 4,
    Hmm, Turtwig probably but Piplup is a close second.

Gen 5,
    I would go with Oshawott, he is just an adorable little otter and his final evolution is just badass imo.

Gen 6,
    Fennekin, Never played through Kalos so, the only knowledge of this pokemon for me was romhacks and showdown but I just think her character design is quite cute. And I'm a sucker for cute things.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gen 1: Bulbasaur. Got me into the Pokemon series and also Grass-type Pokemon as a whole.
    Gen 2: Cyndaquil. It actually used to be Chikorita, and I'd even go so far as to say that I like Chikorita just as much, but Quilava is one of my favourite midstage starters and idk I've been slightly leaning Cyndaquil over the years.
    Gen 3: Treecko. Used to be Torchic because Blaziken was super cool, but I like Sceptile more.
    Gen 4: Torterra. Not much needs to be said about how cool a giant continent turtle is.
    Gen 5: Snivy. Cute grass snake, not much needs to be said, here.
    Gen 6: Chespin, although I'm not a fan of Chesnaught.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Gen 1: Venusaur
    Gen 2: Feraligatr
    Gen 3: I like them all, but if I had to choose one, I'd choose Swampert
    Gen 4: Empoleon, followed closely by Infernape
    Gen 5: Serperior
    Gen 6: Greninja
    Gen 7: Incineroar

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Generation 1: Venusaur. I really like Bulbasaur and the fact it flowers as it evolves.
    Generation 2: Feraligatr. Totodile wani wani~ in the anime was adorable to me as a kid!
    Generation 3: Swampert. SO I HERD I RIKE MUDKIPZ?
    Generation 4: Torterra. Turtwig is the cutest to me, and I really liked how it's a moving continent as a Torterra.
    Generation 5: Samurott. The whiskers somehow have always appealed to me a lot hah.
    Generation 6: Greninja. I was TeamFroakie and Fennekin since they released the pictures but ended up more of the Froakie's. Ninjas are cool.
    Generation 7: Decidueye. Rowlet and Popplio came close, but I was attracted more to a Grass/ Ghost typing at the end.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gen 1: It's really close between the three but given I love dragons and dragon-like Pokemon, it's Charizard for me

Gen 2: Between Feraligatr and Typhlosion but I think I lean more towards the croc

Gen 3: In case my pic isn't descriptive enough, it's Sceptile lol, but it's also really close, I've done playthroughs with all of them

Gen 4: I think this is the hardest starter choice of all because I absolutely love the three of them, I honestly don't know which one I would call my favorite

Gen 5: Snivy for sure

Gen 6: Between Greninja and Chesnaught, but I like Chesnaught a little bit more

Gen 7: Decidueye! I practice archery so I relate to that Pokemon, and I love it, my ultra sun decidueye is called Ollie (after Oliver Queen of course) and my ultra moon one is called Robin

jensmoking

Little boygirl.
    Years
  • Gen 1: Bulbasaur. Sometimes I take Squirtle, but the best one for me is Bulbasaur. It was very helpful with it's status movements when I did my Pokédex run.

Gen 2: Totodile. Cute? Check. Good moves? Check. Good stats? Check. Cool shiny? Hell yes. It's the ultimate starter.

Gen 3: Mudkip. I first used it in my last Emerald run, but that last run was the longest, and I now have a very great bond with mi lvl 80 Lucifer hehe.

Gen 4: I tried Piplup the first time, but the second playthrough I took Turtwig and I fell in love with it's cute cry, so Turtwig for Gen 4.

Gen 5: Snivy. It seems that many people prefer Oshawott, but Samurott's design doesn't look to me. In the other hand, Serperior has majesty.

Years
    • Online now
    Gen 1: Squirtle
    Gen 2: Totodile
    Gen 3: Treeko
    Gen 4: Piplup
    Gen 5: Difficult choice, I don't like any of them that much. But I guess Snivy.
    Gen 6: Another difficult choice. All of them are okay. The one time I played I went with Chespin. So that's probably my choice.
    Gen 7: Popplio

Years
  • pretty old thread but i hope it's ok to revive this bcs i like the premise

Gen 1 - Bulbasaur
    Gen 2 - Cyndaquil
    Gen 3 - Mudkip
    Gen 4 - Turtwig
    Gen 5 - Oshawott
    Gen 6 - uhh Froakie i guess
    Gen 7 - probably Rowlet tbh
    Gen 8 - going with Scorbunny bcs i haven't chosen a Fire type starter in a while lol

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • Gen 1 - Bulbasaur. Absolutely adore the little guy, the line is so cool and I've just always liked the Aesthetic of them all :3

Gen 2 - Totodile. No contest, he's in a completely other league compared to everyone else. He's just too adorable and Feraligatr is such a badass, what is there not to like :D

Gen 3 - Mudkip. This ones a whole lot more tight, I really like all three starters alot. However that derpy lil face does it for me, Swampert is also just really fun to use all the time even if his Mega looks a tag goofy to me.

Gen 4 - Chimchar. Another close one, Torterra is really really cool but as my first Pokemon its hard not to go with Chimchar. I just find the whole line so intimidating and awesome and the cries also rock.

Gen 5 - Tepig. This ones close for the opposite reason, I don't really vibe with the Gen 5 starters that much and are probably the weakest part of the Gen for me. I do like all of them for different reasons, and Emboar has good story coverage and I think Tepig is very cute.

Gen 6 - Chespin. Dawwww this lil guy is so cute :3 I really like both Chesnaught and Greninja but unfortunately the X and Y anime has lowered my liking of him. Anyway yeah Chesnaught is a big strong bulky boss in Kalos.

Gen 7 - Litten. A kitten starter? There was no more information I needed to make my decision. While Incineroar is not exactly what I hoped for, I still really like him and Litten and Torracat loads :3

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    1. Bulbasaur
    2. Cyndaquil (but not far from Chikorita and Totodile)
    3. Treecko (would be Torchic/Combusken if we go by first stages, but I just don't get Blaziken's design)
    4. Can I have three favorites?
    5. Oshawott
    6. Fennekin
    7. Rowlet (but Popplio is pretty close)
    8. Grookey simply because I find the other two just terrible.

Years
  • 1. Squirtle and Bulbasaur
    2. all of them ;o;
    3. idk, probably Treecko?
    4. Piplup
    5. Snivy <3
    6. Chespin and Fennekin
    7. all of them! babies
    8. Scorbunny is adorable

this was... a bit tough to decide. I always struggle with Johto specifically, since I like them all.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
  • Kanto: Squirtle
    Johto: Cyndaquil
    Hoenn: Mudkip
    Sinnoh: Piplup
    Unova: Oshawott (Also my favourite)
    Kalos: Froakie
    Alola: Rowlet
    Galar: Sobble

So basically I like water types.