• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you care for getting/collecting shiny pokémon?

Years
would you go out of your way to hunt/breed for shinies? if you found a random encounter shiny, would you be excited? would you use it on your team? how much value do shiny mons have to you in general?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I've always loved shiny hunting and getting shinies. At one time I was working on a living shiny dex.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Nah. I only only do Ultra Wormhole shiny hunting because it's proven to be the easiest method. I always feel much happier when I stumble upon a shiny completely at random. Those are just the more exciting feeling for me. I never use shinies on my team, though, except for one time. I love shiny Pokemon, but I prefer to just admire them in my boxes, lmfao.

The only time I ever used a shiny on my team was my Shine Vileplume in ORAS. Haven't since then, but if I got an early game shiny, yes, I'd use it on my team.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
Years
No. The lengths some go to is legitimately insane lol.

I have used two shiny Dragons though, Druddigon in Sun, and Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra in UM, which I was able to have INSANE LUCK to be able to get them from GTS when I was preparing new groups to use.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Do you guys ever bother to get the in game shinies if or when they are available like Gyarados or Haxorus?

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Shiny-hunting is pretty much all I do in the games anymore. I was really into chaining and MMing for a while, but now I prefer to hunt them at full odds since that eventually started to feel unrewarding. I'm not competitive, so I wouldn't really have anything to keep me playing I didn't Shiny-hunt (though I am getting close to the end of my Shiny wishlist, so I'm not sure what'll keep me playing once I finish that).

The only Shinies I don't really get excited over are repeat Shinies and Shinies of Pokémon that I really dislike (though I try to catch them regardless). And, if I don't already have a team full of Shinies that I like more in that game, I'll absolutely use it on my team!

The Pokémon in my sig are my absolute favorite/most cherished Shinies. Other favorites include a Porygon2 that I accidentally SR'd in Platinum while trying for a Modest nature, a Flareon that I randomly found in X, an Alolan Sandslash that I found by chance shortly after giving up on hatching one, a Misdreavus and Corsola that I found in VC Gold, and a Shedinja from RS that is currently standing in for Mothim in Sword (I've also got a clone of it that follows me around in SoulSilver).

Most of my non-full-odds Shinies hold pretty much no significance to me anymore, though I'm still partial to the Dunsparce I chained in Pearl (even though I found a full-odds one since in VC Gold) and a Glaceon that I MM'd back in Black 2.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I do care about shines, but I would get bored actively searching.

It would make me very happy if I encountered one.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I once tried chaining in Platinum but I don't think I was successful. Managed to get my hands on a shiny Latias and It was honestly my favourite Pokémon I've ever had - EV trained it then just endlessly faced the Battle Hall as I didn't want to use anything else. I'm really frustrated I can't get to the Shiny Haxorus in B2 because I don't have any way of seeing a Rufflet in my Gen V games, and its a really cool shiny.
I encountered a random shiny Gloom in my most recent HeartGold save and I do love it - turned it into a Sunny Day sweeper Vileplume, as I vastly prefer the shiny colouration. I don't think I'd ever bother actively hunting for them again though.

Years
I like them, but don't go out of my way much to get them. I feel they should be special, so I cherish the few I manage to attain (managed to get a few I liked by trading). In 15 years of Pokémon, I only ever got ONE random shiny myself (Wingull on emulated Ruby).

Years
I don't have the patience for breeding shiny Pokemon, and most other methods of increasing the chance of finding shinies don't really interest me either. The only time I really tried was in LGPE to find a shiny Vulpix, and I was lucky enough that I found one after chaining a stupid low amount (it was definitely less than 20, might have even been as low as 12 or 13).

I still get crazy excited any time I find a random encounter shiny though. That's what I always save my Master Ball for, which is why I haven't used one since finding a shiny Ducklett in White.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 28, 2021
I thought it was a cool feature but only gotten into when I found a shiny GIble in X. I've spent hours and hours shiny hunting as I had not much left to do.

pkmin3033

If there was a way to guarantee shiny Pokemon, I absolutely would. But one thing I absolutely DESPISE, with every fibre of my being, is RNG. Even if you lower the odds through whatever method, shiny Pokemon are still RNG, which means you can spend either dozens of hours or less than five minutes getting what you need. I derive no satisfaction whatsoever from random change in video games, so...yeah, shiny hunting is not for me. Much as I wish I had shinies of certain Pokemon in my games, it's just not worth the hassle.

Years
I actually love hunting for shinies, when it's for one of my favourite Pokemon! I usually wouldn't sit there and grind for just any 'mon, but if I want a specific one of my favourite creatures in its shiny form, I'll happily spend the time and grind needed to get it!

Years
SM really awakened the shiny hunter in me! SOS chains, as tedious as they were, made shiny hunting so easy for me. so i first got into shiny hunting that way, and well... nowadays in SwSh, i just kinda casually shiny breed whenever i want a shiny. i apparently have enough patience to go through 1k+ eggs if there's a shiny i really want, so there's that.

but anyway yes, i love shinies. ❤

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
If not for Shiny Pokemon, I'd probably stop playing pokemon games as soon as I finish the games. For me, it brings me back to games,

I do still get excited for random pokemon. Like a couple of weeks ago, I got a Shiny Comfey which I wans't trying to get. I don't even care for comfey, but I got excited for it.

Years
Absolutely never. It's not worth it to me. I don't consider shinies to be all that alluring in the first place.

Back