• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Happy Pride Month!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Well I sorta touched upon it on twitter so I'll say it here: I listen do some of my friends' troubles like, how they want to try to explain to their family members that they're gay... which I can imagine to be a very anxious feeling to try and get through - especially in this kind of society.

I'm not gay myself so I dunno what kinds of things they had to go through exactly, but I do know that I really love gay/lesbian/bi friends a lot and I wish nothing but happiness for them.

Happy pride month, everyone <33 hugs all around

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
This dude literally came in spouting the usual crap folks say about pride month, and when he gets an explanation about why it exists he's playing victim and complaining about the mean, intolerant gays.

It's obvious what the endgame of our upstanding example of fair discussion and tolerance is here lol.

Years
Hi so, important note to everyone looking in this thread, especially those who may not understand the whole "point" of Pride Month:

Pride Month is a very sensitive time for many in the LGBTQIA+ community. When you're faced with a choice of coming out to your family members and being kicked out into the streets and abandoned (or even worse), it's really hard to grasp for those not in the community just how much emotional stress and turmoil we have to deal with on a daily basis. It's hard to understand how this kind of mental agitation and torture can even lead to suicide, simply because the fear is too great and we don't want our family members/loved ones hating us. We don't want anyone finding out the truth about who we are and we can't mentally prepare for our lives falling apart in front of our very eyes. This fear is real because it has happened.

The point of pride month is to show that we're not afraid of who we are, that we're happy being gay or bisexual or nonbinary or transgender or however you identify as. The point of pride month is to accept and love one another that, again, during a time that many in the community might not have that kind of support or are still "in the closet" about who they are. The point is to send a strong message to those struggling with their sexual identity that they should not hate themselves or be ashamed of that identity. It's to embrace it wholeheartedly and live their lives how they see fit.

Hatred and bigotry just isn't and shouldn't be tolerated. None of that in this thread. None of the whole "why aren't us straight people having a month", because bluntly speaking, that is ignorance and unnecessary victimisation at its finest.

That said, lets steer this thread towards more of a positive message like it's meant to be in the first place. Happy Pride Month, everyone! o/

Years
Did you even READ my first post? Butthurt? What are you talking about?

I simply offered a different opinion that isn't the most PC notion and people flip out or even think I'm attacking them, while ironically attacking me.

Funny. Take your first line about being unable to reason with "people like me" and apply it to your guys' side instead. A bit more accurate.

I'm done with this topic now. You only proved my point of the blatant unawareness of the hypocrisy at hand. And it's pretty sad, to be honest. So much for a level headed debate.

The problem is that this wasn't intended to be a "level headed debate" at all. You turned it into one. This was supposed to be a thread that recognizes pride and everything that it stands for. You misinterpret what pride truly is and it's quite disheartening. LGBTQ people have faced constant discrimination and belittlement throughout history, and continue to do so on a daily basis. Let them have a month of celebration, it isn't doing you any harm and for the love of god, please, stop victimizing yourself. It's ridiculous. Just move on gracefully, it's evident that your views are homophobic, even if you refuse to acknowledge it.

Might I add that this is coming from a straight young woman.

Anyways, happy pride everyone. :)

Last edited:
Years
A lot of us are harsh about it because we're sick of how people treat us, it's that simple.
You're not offering a different view, you're being a bigot, stop playing the victim.

Years
Don't misunderstand my post here, but I'm not particularly a fan of any sort of these 'pride' rallies or months, despite being all for everyone's rights to live however they want to.

I guess I don't understand how putting a certain group on a pedestal is any sort of progress into what I thought was the end goal here: equality.

Would everyone celebrate a straight white pride month in this day and age? Yeah, probably not. But isn't that equality too?

In my experience, you'd be surprised how little most people care at all how you choose to live your life; but it's only when you get blatant and shove it in their faces when hostility begins to show. And that ironically just creates more want to further showcase 'pride', becoming more public and blatant, and then the other side gets more angry, etc.... and it's just a worsening loop that never leads to any progress into what should be the true end goal here.

I'm sorry if my post is a downer or clashes against most modern day PC notions, but I have a right to post my own thoughts on this topic too, right? And if it creates more discussion, I guess that's not a bad thing either. I'd rather that than just everyone throwing in the same posts again and again.
You (probably, and hopefully, non-LGBT) people would be at it again. Only non-LGBT people, with the exception of the Uncle Toms and the Milos of the world, speak confidently of the era of the LGBT community and the obsolescence, the rank hypocrisy of Pride Month.

The point of a Pride Month is not to put anyone on a pedestal. No one in the mainstream LGBT community views it as a way to express superiority. Au contraire, it is a response to society putting non-LGBT people on a pedestal and viciously acting on the authority of their self-anointment. When society has spent and continues to spend its time going after LGBT people for being who they are, or to invalidate who they are, Pride Month is essential to restoring and preserving LGBT dignity. It reminds the LGBT community that there is nothing wrong with us and it is OK to express ourselves, and of the pain and sacrifices people have endured to allow us to express ourselves. And to those who are part of the LGBT community but cannot celebrate Pride Month themselves, it is a hopeful aspiration.

I fail to see why people are so upset about a Pride Month when the non-LGBT community has every month to itself, often launches loud and profane attacks against an innocent minority, and has never found itself at risk of being outlawed or attacked for who they are. Does Pride Month take away from the happiness and self-expression of the non-LGBT community? No. Do straight people find themselves unable to express themselves in the absence of a Straight Pride Month? No. Since the non-LGBT community possesses neither just cause to have a Straight Pride Month or ill effect from witnessing LGBT Pride Month, I still do not know why you people always pick this fight.

People (well, a person) in this very thread try to claim LGBT hysteria is over, but that is naive. You must not understand how sad it is to live in fear that you will be yanked out of the closet and beaten and thrown out of the house by your parents or to see them eagerly tell relatives to cart their son off to a psychologist to cure the "disease" of homosexuality. When one of two prominent parties in the United States stakes a firmly anti-LGBT position, and the Vice President from that party will electrocute LGBT people to "cure" them, it is clear people will make an issue of our very existence when we do not shove anything in their faces. When the most secular and developed countries have only legalized gay marriage in the past few years, it is clear there is catching up to do. Many countries do not have laws recognizing or protecting the rights of LGBT people; many have laws invalidating or restricting the rights of LGBT people, up to pain of death for standing by themselves. When people in every country, from the "developed" and "liberal" to the most "repressive" and "backwards" question the authenticity of LGBT people or portray them as grossly inferior, it is clear that there was always hostility.

I quote MLK Jr.:
"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

The followup passage has its own relevance:
Shallow understanding from people of goodwill is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

Equality is nice; equality without context and application to reality is meaningless. I am bewildered that any learned person would believe having a Pride Month for a community that has always viewed itself as superior culturally and legally is equality; that is a reaffirmation of superiority. To put it cynically, what is strongly implied need not be directly stated.

And I am gravely disappointed that just because there is a smattering of LGBT legalization in select countries and the homophobes are more covert in their hatred and reduced in number, we are told the coast is clear and we should shut up. The coast is not clear, and people are actively working to brew storms on the horizon. You could grab just today's headlines in Bermuda and realize that the rights and happiness of LGBT people are always in flux and at the mercy of a much more powerful bloc. We are told to fear stoking hostility and anger, but 1) that does not address our concerns, 2) those feelings will be there whatever we do, and 3) is their anger and hostility justified? If not, we have no reason to abide by it. And there is the slightest sense of hypocrisy in asking the weak minority to abide by these rules of engagement. I cannot gleam any concern that the straights are not mindful enough of their LGBT brethren; I cannot gleam any concern that the straights are too grotesque in their displays. For that matter, what could be more incendiary than walking into a Pride Month thread and pointing fingers or equating the practice to a hypothetical White Pride Month?

Far from being a vocal member of the LGBT community or an SJW, I only make an issue of my identity insofar as other people try to make it an issue. Lest the unyielding flame cause fourth-degree burns to his intellectual and personal reputation, I suggest he stop now.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
...Reading this thread, wow, i'm lucky my whole social life is online....

(cuz i seem to like girls more than guys now; its not just about korrina anymore, really o.O; i just seem more.....comfortable liking my own gender now?)

Homophobia, racism. THOSE are the REAL issues this world has. 'Preppies' are only specks of insignificince compared to what can really cause hurt.....(also i'm learning more and more i should stop being afraid of my 'girlyness'. its not like i'm someone other than myself o_O;;; yeah...)

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I'm going to begin this by saying that, since I think it's sometimes easy to misinterpret my tone )and I get the feeling that if I don't say this people will misinterpret), especially on the internet where a good bit of nuance in communication is lost: I'm not angry, or upset, or anything like that. I'm very calm right now. So, anyway:

It's good to know how quickly people are willing to call others demons, and that the general response to certain views is basically "lol shut up", "people like you can't be reasoned with", "You're not offering a different view, you're being a bigot", etc.

If that sort of attitude is what people think is going to bring true equality to the world, then I'm afraid that it's going to come far later than anybody would like.

If "Hatred...shouldn't be tolerated.", why does this seem to not apply to one's own hatred of not pro-LGBTQ views (or further, pro-LGBTQ views that aren't exactly the same as your own)? What does it (your hatred) even accomplish?

oh, and, speaking of demons:
you demons
Given that "demons" is plural, and given the order of the posts beforehand, am I being lumped in together with Enpatsu?

Because I don't actually agree with him. Nor is anything said in the posts in this thread new to me.

Years
If that sort of attitude is what people think is going to bring true equality to the world, then I'm afraid that it's going to come far later than anybody would like.

Maybe if certain straight people would stop treating us differently than everyone else and discriminating against us for who we are, then we wouldn't have "that sort of attitude".

I'm actually genuinely kinda appalled that you seem more concerned with our responses than the homophobic statements made but.... ok, i guess. Not gonna lie when I say that I'm confused why you think that's more concerning.

If "Hatred...shouldn't be tolerated.", why does this seem to not apply to one's own hatred of not pro-LGBTQ views (or further, pro-LGBTQ views that aren't exactly the same as your own)? What does it (your hatred) even accomplish?
We're at a time (and really, have been for quite a while now) where gays, bisexuals, transgenders, nonbinary individuals, et al are discriminated against for who we are. We're beaten, killed, taken to "gay therapy" camps to "pray our gay away", isolated from our families, and left to suffer. The cause of this suffering? Individuals who are against the LGBTQ community for no other reason and see us as abnormal for no other reason other than the fact that we're attracted to different people. While I can't (and won't) really speak for others in the LGBTQ community, I wouldn't be surprised if this caused some inherent distrust in those who don't share pro-LGBTQ views, because again, it's rooted in that fear that we'll get judged and undergo intense suffering from those kinds of people in the first place.

I also think you misunderstand -- our purpose isn't to hate by any means -- but that doesn't mean we'll tolerate views that trivialize or invalidate what we've gone through. There's a very fine line.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't know if I'm going to explain this well enough, but here goes:

I'm actually genuinely kinda appalled that you seem more concerned with our responses than the homophobic statements made but.... ok, i guess. Not gonna lie when I say that I'm confused why you think that's more concerning.
The issue these days is less the laws (in the countries most people here are from anyway) and more the views people hold in their hearts. So you have to change that. Because, if you don't, the situation will never get get any better.

But the thing is, treating them like sub-human filth that must be cleansed from the world is one of the fastest ways to get people to not change. It simply reinforces to themselves that they are right. Even if one is capable of thinking rationally enough to come to the theoretical conclusion that you can't generalize, you still need evidence to support any claim. So if people continue to be openly hostile towards people who aren't exactly pro-LGBTQ, you make it seem like the evidence is in fact that X group is bad, even though we both know that's not really the case. And so they aren't going to change, they aren't going to become accepting of LGBTQ people, and being LGBTQ will never become normal in society like being straight and cis is, as these people will invariably pass it (discrimination) on to the next generation, and the cycle will never end. Turn your enemies into willing allies instead of vanquishing them.

Can't just sit there and go "well if they'd just stop being dicks we wouldn't have to have that attitude!", as that's just shifting the work entirely off of yourself and onto someone else, just waiting for the problem to fix itself. And problems rarely fix themselves. You also can't just drive them away either, since, as things currently are, they will always find some place that supports or at least tolerates their views. Instead, you want there to be no places like that to begin with. And the only way to make those places vanish and never return is for people to never be able to come to the conclusion of "it is ok to discriminate against people" ever again.

I'm not saying that we should go around having tea parties with alt-righters and treat them as if they're our friends (and there's a few people who are probably beyond hope), it's just that one can both understand that something is objectively wrong+not tolerate it+want to fix it, and not be angry or openly hostile about it. Or, at least, I can do that anyway. One might think "But I'm justified in being angry at anti-LGBTQ people and the discrimination they've inflicted upon us for centuries!", but, I will ask again: what do those emotions physically do to remedy the problem? What does you being appalled do?

The reason I'm more concerned about the responses to the comments rather than the homophobic ones (which, it's not like I condone those) themselves is, ignoring for a moment that I often don't need to directly comment on those comments myself given that there's usually plenty of people hanging around to do it for me, the attitudes some people seem to have when making these comments is the more dangerous thing to the pursuit of equality to me. It's when you get too caught up in your emotions and sense of justice that you're most susceptible to becoming the very thing that you're fighting against, albeit the other side of the coin, and are blind to it. I'm not saying that anyone here has gotten to that extreme yet, but the danger itself certainly exists.

Perhaps that's too cold and pragmatic for everyone, but, oh well.

I've mentioned this twice in this thread, but sure, I'll mention it a third time.

We're at a time (and really, have been for quite a while now) where gays, bisexuals, transgenders, nonbinary individuals, et al are discriminated against for who we are. We're beaten, killed, taken to "gay therapy" camps to "pray our gay away", isolated from our families, and left to suffer. The cause of this suffering? Individuals who are against the LGBTQ community for no other reason and see us as abnormal for no other reason other than the fact that we're attracted to different people. While I can't (and won't) really speak for others in the LGBTQ community, I wouldn't be surprised if this caused some inherent distrust in those who don't share pro-LGBTQ views, because again, it's rooted in that fear that we'll get judged and undergo intense suffering from those kinds of people in the first place.
Like I said before, I'm aware of what the reality of the world is. You (and everybody else) don't need to repeat it to me again.

I also think you misunderstand -- our purpose isn't to hate by any means -- but that doesn't mean we'll tolerate views that trivialize or invalidate what we've gone through. There's a very fine line.
Sure, some people don't hate. But can you really say that no one does? Especially when you admit that there's a very fine--and therefore easy--line to cross.

Years
Nah, I understand your point and you certainly bring up a valid argument. However, Enpatsu unnecessarily started a debate where it didn't belong. This entire thread was dedicated to celebrating pride month. If he wants to debate the legitimacy of pride, do it elsewhere. Simple as that. He's naive to expect that he would be able to accomplish anything in this thread, so I wouldn't say I'm empathetic that he encountered hostility when his views were homophobic. He shot himself in the foot.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Nah, I understand your point and you certainly bring up a valid argument. However, Enpatsu unnecessarily started a debate where it didn't belong. This entire thread was dedicated to celebrating pride month. If he wants to debate the legitimacy of pride, do it elsewhere. Simple as that. He's naive to expect that he would be able to accomplish anything in this thread, so I wouldn't say I'm empathetic that he encountered hostility when his views were homophobic. He shot himself in the foot.
That's fair, you're right.

I suppose that I contributed to the mess, and so should apologize.

Sorry about this, everyone. =(

Years
(cuz i seem to like girls more than guys now; its not just about korrina anymore, really o.O; i just seem more.....comfortable liking my own gender now?)

I feel you. I have a girlfriend, but got crushes on few guys lately.

Anyway... Happy Pride Month!

I would also like to see other thread, perhaps in Deep Discussion about this topic. I originally wanted to write something about how I see this type of event even before Enpatsu, but figured out it wouldn't probably fit LadyJirachu's original idea of this thread (and it was hardly LGBTQ-related). Now that the discussion is already here and I still don't think it fits here. So yeah, +1 for another thread somewhere else.

Years
I'm going to begin this by saying that, since I think it's sometimes easy to misinterpret my tone )and I get the feeling that if I don't say this people will misinterpret), especially on the internet where a good bit of nuance in communication is lost: I'm not angry, or upset, or anything like that. I'm very calm right now. So, anyway:

It's good to know how quickly people are willing to call others demons, and that the general response to certain views is basically "lol shut up", "people like you can't be reasoned with", "You're not offering a different view, you're being a bigot", etc.

oh, and, speaking of demons:

Given that "demons" is plural, and given the order of the posts beforehand, am I being lumped in together with Enpatsu?

Because I don't actually agree with him. Nor is anything said in the posts in this thread new to me.

No I meant homophobes, you're ok :>
I was being a bit angry anyway but it's something that really hits home for me

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
well this thread is a bit..awkward now but

pride month is important to me since i'm nonbinary/trans (nonbinary is under the trans umbrella and lately i have been comfortable identifying myself as trans as well? idk) so.. if people could not shit on it that would be great thanks

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
Years
I really like the pride month, it's refreshing to see people being content with their sexuality and celebrating together. :chu: Even though I didn't really come out of the closet, I took a moment to appreciate myself the way I am.
Happy pride month!

Back