• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: The spooky reveal for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet is a new Ghost dog

The spooky reveal for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet is a new Ghost dog

The spooky reveal for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet is a new Ghost dog

Update: meet Greavard! Two other less scary trailers have also released today, showing a little bit more new gameplay!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • This seems to be the perfect reveal trailer for Halloween, which is coming soon. I'm not sure if the researcher is dead or asleep though. If she's asleep, the have a good peaceful rest. If she's dead, well, rest in peace.

Years
  • While I like the design, after reading about it, it feels like Litwick that got stuck on dog's head.

Nonetheless, I might have find another Pokémon to put on my team.

Years
  • 'meh'
    Doesn't really do much for me, though it looks like it might have an evo.
    Also kinda feel like Normal/Ghost would've been better for it than just ghost, based on it's appearance.

On a different note; Vie is bound to be pleased at seeing Mimikyu in Scarlet/Violet though.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    The academy really livestreamed someone getting killed by a Ghost-type Pokemon. Hope they have a good lawer lol.
    Imo the candle would look so much better if it looked like a clump of fur with black strands jutting out as the wick. Looks a bit out of place looking like a wax candle for my taste - though on the other hand, perhaps that's the point of the design? Also the concept of it slowly stealing lifeforce reminds me of Litwick's family a little too much (same niche I guess?), but hiding and using the candle as a 'lure' is a neat idea. Otherwise Greavard (and Farigiraf) is a shoo-in for my team if I decide to get SV.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Omg. I thought this was gonna be a bad pokemon. I didn't think it would look great when leaks told us about it in July. But it is freaking adorable. I love it so much. With as much love as dogs are getting, I hope cats have a generation like this next time. So many dogs and no cats.

I wonder if this pokemon is going to be related to Litwik or something. The super obvious candle looks like a Litwik and it seems to have an ability very similar to it as well.

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I wonder if this pokemon is going to be related to Litwik or something. The super obvious candle looks like a Litwik and it seems to have an ability very similar to it as well.

Probably just convergent evolution to occupy a niche - i.e. predators that slowly drain the life force of victims/prey. Though it'd be neat if its evolution (if it gets one) referenced Lampent or Chandelure somehow (rivals?).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Probably just convergent evolution to occupy a niche - i.e. predators that slowly drain the life force of victims/prey. Though it'd be neat if its evolution (if it gets one) referenced Lampent or Chandelure somehow (rivals?).

Yeah the rival thing is more what I was thinking about. But I do agree that convergent evolution play a role in this as well. As for evolution, I really think it will. Maybe a giant sheep dog like pokemon similar to Stoutland, but more sheepy. Otherwise, that Pick-Up ability is going to be lame.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • On a different note; Vie is bound to be pleased at seeing Mimikyu in Scarlet/Violet though.

You know me very well! I'm actually more excited about my baby returning for ScaVio than anything else! It was so cute to see him play with the original Ghosties as well... 🥺

As for the new doggo, it's okay; I'm just not sure how I feel about the Litwick-like candle on top of its head... or its gigantic underbite. As someone who is pretty concerned about the health of certain dog breeds with that particular feature, it worries me that its evo's design will double down on it. Not even Granbull's looks this bad, and it's a literal bulldog!

Anyway, this could have been a cute new variant of Growlithe that closely resembled the Hisuian one, but oh well. Time to go to the drawing board.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • As for the new doggo, it's okay; I'm just not sure how I feel about the Litwick-like candle on top of its head... or its gigantic underbite. As someone who is pretty concerned about the health of certain dog breeds with that particular feature, it worries me that its evo's design will double down on it. Not even Granbull's looks this bad, and it's a literal bulldog!
    Given it is a ghost type, perhaps there is no need to worry about its health. ;)

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    Greavard looks like it came right out of an oldschool Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

And I approve, being a doggo enthusiast.

Definitely using Fidough alongside this spectral good boi, unless I get carried away in awe by other awesome new mons.

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Greavard looks like it came right out of an oldschool Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

And I approve, being a doggo enthusiast.

Definitely using Fidough alongside this spectral good boi, unless I get carried away in awe by other awesome new mons.

I hadn't thought of it but Greavard DOES have big Hanna-Barbera energy. I do love this guy... both the new dogs are fun.

Years
  • This is one of my favorite reveals so far. It's a shame the pokedex to my knowledge says it sucks the life out of you or something like that. But the design OMG I LOVE IT!

I also love the new poison artist Pokemon for some reason (forgot it's name). Both top-tier Pokemon in my personal opinion.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I'll just quickly share my thoughts before the new upcomming trailer comes.

Overall, not bad at all, although I really don't like how it's designed to try way too hard to be cute. But overall better than the previous revealed dog poke.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Thought a bit on this Pokemon. Feels okay about the body. Dislikes the Litwick candle on its head. Needs something unique, though.

Nearly named it Graveyard. Why not lean into it? Give it tombstone ears or something shovel-shaped (paws? tongue?). Just, uh, not the Sandygast shovel.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Thought a bit on this Pokemon. Feels okay about the body. Dislikes the Litwick candle on its head. Needs something unique, though.

Nearly named it Graveyard. Why not lean into it? Give it tombstone ears or something shovel-shaped (paws? tongue?). Just, uh, not the Sandygast shovel.

Is this a Pokémon that you might consider adding to your team?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Is this a Pokémon that you might consider adding to your team?

Competes with Armarouge, so not at present. Is not much of a dog person. Could be on deck if Armarouge is nowhere to be found, however. Beats Gimmighoul in a head-to-head. Doubts many more Ghost-types, given three already revealed. (Avoided spoilers beyond official releases.)

Back