• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best ability in your opinion?

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
Years
  • Found myself thinking about this a while ago and it's obviously Wonder Guard.

But, what do you think is the best ability not meant to be a unique gimmick, like Wonder Guard and Imposter?

It can't be Intimidate as it's useless on special attackers. Speed boost can be a hindrance with Gyro Ball, Trick Room and etc. Gorilla Tactics also wouldn't work on special attackers.

I'd say maybe Comatose? It makes you completely immune to status so I'd say it's probably the best ability overall. Hardly any counter strategy other than just fainting the user and the only real drawback I see is that you can't use Rest. I think.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Magic Bounce. Nullifies and reflects. Feels so satisfying.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have had incredible luck with Static, Spore, and Cute Charm in my playthroughs, love them a lot. <3 Probably my most reliable and favs because of that lol. Also the likes of Libero, Protean, and Pixilate! My Cinderace and Sylveon are great because of them.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Intimidate not affecting special attackers isn't that relevant when there's an easy way around it: don't switch it into a special attacker.

I'm tempted to say Truant because it makes me not lose to Slaking, but that's probably to sneaky.

Poison Heal is pretty cool because not only does it make the Pokemon immune to status, but it also heals it when poisoned. It's a pretty good ability to have on Gliscor.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I'd say it's a tie between Magic Guard and Magic Bounce. The former ignores status effect damage if they were dealt by attacks, as well as weather and even damage from Life Orb and recoil (not that many Magic Guard Pokémon can make use of recoil moves), while the latter bounces back status moves, so it can effectively invalidate certain opponents' entire movesets.

I'm leaning towards Magic Guard being better, since it's more consistent. But Magic Bounce is cooler.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2021
    I believe Beast Boost deserves consideration, being ridiculous on sweepers but still having some utility on more defensive Pokémon. Whether it is as good as the likes of Magic Guard and Magic Bounce, I am not sure.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • One I think can be incredibly useful is Merciless. It gives automatic critical hits on a poisoned Pokémon. It would have great synergy with the move Venoshock. The only downside is that it's the signature ability of Toxapex, who gets no use from it because it's a defensive mon. Can you imagine if Eternatus got Merciless as its ability? It could destroy teams with base 130 power guaranteed-crit Venoshocks (as long as there are no Steel types lol)

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I've always liked Mold Breaker, great to be able to use Ground type moves against Pokémon with Levitate and also freely use physical moves on Pokémon with Static

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Huge Power was a game changer for Azumarill. It simple doubles the Pokémon's attack, but realistically it couldn't be an ability for many. It would be nice though if more had it!

Technician and Tinted Lens also have no draw backs unless if you don't have moves that are powered by these abilities. In my mind, the strongest abilities boost the Pokémon, not disable the enemy. For example, if the enemy switches out, Intimidate is rendered useless.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Yeah, the really good ones like Technician and Huge power and Intimidate are such in my experience. I actually like every ability except for Hustle, the negative abilities, and maybe Emergency exit.

Years
  • i love Huge Power and it's the very reason why Pokemon like Azumarill are so much fun to use for me, so i'd go for that.

Adaptability is a very close second. :>

Back