• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is cheating acceptable on singleplayer?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Obviously you shouldn't cheat on a multiplayer game, that ruins the fun for everyone else, however what are your thoughts on singleplayer? I know many people are willing to cheat, and many people are still against cheating in any form.

I personally think cheating is fine as long as it is singleplayer.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Short answer = No. It takes away the fun for the most part since it completely removes the immersion that the single player game intends to give.

When i was a kid, I do have to thank a couple of JRPGs that I played with with our Playstation since many of the RPGs that I did play didn't have any cheat codes whatsoever so there was no choice but to play the game anyway. Was worth it in the end.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Sure. After I beat a game I don't have much to do anyways. I'm terrible with replaying games because I already know most of the story and what not, so... why would I do it again...?

Only games that have high replay value/ big DLC/Extra-ordinarily great story after a long time has passed since I played tend to get me back. Or cheats where I can just have fun and do my own thing. Or mods. Mods are even better!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Depends on the game, but absolutely it's fine. If you're having fun, that's all that matters, and that's how some people have fun.

Years
  • as long as you're not affecting anyone else's gameplay, you're fine.

so yeah, cheating is fine in SP. you're doing a disservice to yourself if you haven't beaten the game already without cheating, though. (unless the game itself is terrible)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I used to look down on cheaters but now I honestly don't care. If that's what it takes to enjoy a game, go for it!

I personally mostly like to enjoy games the way they were meant to be enjoyed, which means following the rules set down by the developers and playing it through naturally, but now that I'm older I also appreciate that sometimes I just don't have the time/drive to grind levels or whatever. I got FFX/X-2 Remaster on Steam recently and I'm actually really glad they added cheats to it! Playing on 4x speed is really nice for grinding and although I haven't used it yet, the ability to max out gil or levels sounds nice too. I don't have the time for that anymore.

The only reason I'd disagree with it is if it affects others. Like if you cheat to instantly get trophies and you're forever on the leaderboard for getting x trophy the fastest or something, that's pretty shitty. But otherwise it doesn't affect me at all so I don't care what others do.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • Cheating to bypass levelling up or grinding for movesets/components to save time? Yes, it is acceptable imo.

...which is why some of the better games that I have don't require me to cheat in this way ;)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • yeah imo it's fine to cheat by yourself but personally i dont see it as very rewarding? like i dont know what you're gettin out of it when you cheat a bunch. but, yknow, i can see the merits of speeding up gameplay and such

Years
  • Multiplayer games, definitely no because you're affecting how other people get to play, but anything that has an interactive element is kinda also a no. Like if you hack Pokemon and then want to trade them, that's sort of a grey area even though the game is primarily single player.

Years
  • If it's not bothering anyone else I don't see why the hell it matters if you cheat on single player? Whether it's acceptable or not is up to the person and you can't change their mind I believe.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Of course it's fine in Single Player, it's your own experience, if you want to cheat in it then do it, you're not harming anyone.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I will assume by 'multiplayer' people mean online mulitplayer (although to be fair there were some pretty hilarious glitches like Roadie Running and Backflipping in Gears of War which was hilarious in MP), because I for one can confirm cheats in an offline MP environment are amazing.

I think people mean in competitive, online environments. Like when people put aimbots on on CoD or body glitch on GTAO

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I support single player cheats because who wouldn't want to take the secret warp pipe in Super Mario Bros . to get to World 5 and skip every level inbetween.

Years
  • Single player cheats are pretty alright. I don't want to spend 4 hours building up enough funds just to start planning a city how I want it to be in Sim City 4. I want to get to the planning now, because I've got a whole region to build that's already going to take months to get anywhere close to acceptable.

And sometimes in Civ 4 you'll have such an amazing start, but then the AI will have an event happen to them that causes a stack of 9 Barbarian Axemen to spawn just outside their city, but, hey, your city's even closer to the stack and you still haven't found bronze anywhere. I have had that nonsense happen on at least 3 different occasions in the past 2 months, and on several other occasions in the past as well. Sometimes I just drop the game. Other times, I go into WorldBuilder and either remove the stack entirely or reduce its size, simply because I don't want to restart again after having already sunk at a minimum half an hour into the start.

Last edited:

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • as long as it's only singleplayer, I'm fine with it. But in a lot of games such cheating ruins it, so I rarely cheat.

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 8, 2017
    What you do in your singleplayer games is up to you. It's a game, it's meant to be fun, and everyone has their own personal definition of fun.

But I'd like to bring up a point, with Mods and modding culture, can you even define what cheating is anymore?

If it's just "adding something in to make it easier for yourself" you could argue things like Skyrim's Improved Magic mods are "cheating" because it makes mages better. Or even adding better equipment. Even if the requirements to get that equipment are proportionally difficult to its power, it's still creating equipment that's better than what the base game offers. Not that its that big of deal with Skyrim, since you can get some crazy high numbers through in game methods, but those might be seen as "exploits" to some, which used to be also cheating, like clipping through a wall to bypass an area. But it's completely vanilla to do.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I reeeally don't care if you're cheating in a single player game, as long as you don't brag about your achievements afterwards XD That's just smh

#rosebud

Gelius3

Certified Idiotic Potato
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Mar 24, 2024
    (Insert here Monopoly Cheating joke)

To me depends. I replayed a lot, and i will rephrase that word again, A LOT of the older Pokemon Games. So yeah, one or two cheats i used, mainly for decorations of home or of secret base. Cause i was too weak to get them myself ;_;

Back