• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I don’t cook, I don’t clean.

Years
  • washing dishes is the easiest, so that's definitely my favorite. cleaning up after the cat is the complete opposite.

Years
  • Aside from the regular chores (laundry, dishwashing, tidying up, vacuuming), I have some unique ones.

My day starts with turning lights on for 3 aquariums, then I check to see if the fish (and frogs!) need to be fed. I also take a peek at my furry animals, check water & food bowls, and sometimes give them a good morning scratch too. Every few weeks, the aquarium filters need changing, water cycled, and the glass walls need a light scrubbing from the inside. Same goes for litterboxes.
    Every few days, I water plants, which is more important during these winter months when I have almost all of them inside.

I like feeding the animals the most, but changing aquarium filters, cycling water, scrubbing the glass.... eesh, gets tedious.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm better at cleaning than cooking for sure lol! Partner is the one who tries out more interesting recipes, while I'm used to cooking simple things. Can't say I enjoy cleaning though since the cleaning product smell isn't very pleasant, but at least it's tiring so it is exercise??

Years
  • I don't really have a set routine of chores because I'm frequently not well enough to do anything. I just try to help out with keeping things tidy and clean as best I can. I really enjoy cooking though so when I'm having a good patch health-wise, I'll usually do a fair amount of that.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • My sisters and I have rotate the cleaning and dinner chores. I hate making dinner because it takes so long and I never know what to make... I actually enjoy washing dishes, even if I take too long because I am thorough. I have a system for washing and rinsing dishes, so that makes it a bit more enjoyable.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i enjoy cooking so i usually make dinner. i clean too, i do laundry, i clean the litter boxes. i mean i live with my partner though so these are all shared chores. like whoever dosen't cook will unload/load dishes. we just kind of do laundry when we need clothes or our hampers are overloading and when we start our own load, we'll go through the other's hamper for like colors so that we're both getting laundry done. we clean the bathroom together, one of us does the tub and the other does the smaller things like sink and toilet. the litter boxes are even split lmao i clean the top part and he cleans the bottom part... like we literally share every chore in the apartment. we even take the trash out together. like to me, this is the best way to get stuff done bc we do it as a team.

Years
  • I sweep, take out the trash and recycling, do laundry, cook, buy and stock the groceries and other household supplies, wash the dishes, feed the pets, walk the dog, change the cat's litter box, pay the utility bills, most chores you would do around the house.

My parents are elderly, and my mother is disabled + recently recovering from surgery, so it's on me. I also have lived on my own so I should know basic skills to take care of myself by now. I have no house elves to help me.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i do all the chores. i live alone v:

i prefer cleaning to cooking d:

Years
  • Man, who the hell thinks cooking is a chore?! Cooking is my favorite thing to do and I think considering it a chore is a very American thing to do.

Years
  • Man, who the hell thinks cooking is a chore?! Cooking is my favorite thing to do and I think considering it a chore is a very American thing to do.

Cooking is, by definition, a chore. The word chore literally just means routine household task in this context.
    It's definitely, by far, the most enjoyable of them though :')

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Man, who the hell thinks cooking is a chore?! Cooking is my favorite thing to do and I think considering it a chore is a very American thing to do.

pls move in with me, i clean if you cook

Years
  • Cooking is, by definition, a chore. The word chore literally just means routine household task in this context.
    It's definitely, by far, the most enjoyable of them though :')

I think it depends on how you cook, the way I cook isn't a chore. Having something fermenting for weeks, months so you can use it in a dish that you have had planned around its being ready, researching the best way to make everything, spending all day cooking that meal, nah that's not a chore. Even my daily cooking, I am always trying new things and improving, when I dust or clean, I just do the damn thing.

Years
  • I'm the one who cooks when I'm home, as my mom is tired after working. I really enjoy cooking because it's my passion. I wash all of the dishes in the kitchen, and it's something I enjoy doing too. I do laundry when it comes to my own clothes, and I clean my room regularly. I think that the chore I do to the least, is ironing, and it's because almost of my clothes look good even after being washed in the washing machine.

Years
  • I think that the chore I do to the least, is ironing, and it's because almost of my clothes look good even after being washed in the washing machine.

biggest same. they're never crinkled enough for me to give a damn about ironing lmao.

the only stuff i iron is the really formal clothes like suits and stuff, and those i've never needed to wear since 2019, for obvious reasons.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Mostly cleaning stuff - sweeping the floors, taking out the trash, doing the dishes, and so on. Also, whenever something heavy needs to be lugged around, there I am.

I'll agree with the crinkling, with the exception of the formal-ish clothes I need to use for work, I don't really care that much about crinkly clothes.

And now a minor rant about cooking.

Man, who the hell thinks cooking is a chore?! Cooking is my favorite thing to do and I think considering it a chore is a very American thing to do.

People who don't like cooking, or aren't very good at it. People who don't have a lot of time available for long cooking sessions. Or really, people who just don't have cooking as a hobby.

Unlike most other chores that can be done mechanically so you can listen to an audiobook or a podcast or even watch a video in certain situations, you often need to pay some level of attention to the food or need to do a lot of things in parallel.

Not to mention that cooking isn't really something you can put off for a while if you don't feel like doing it, since you need to eat, unlike say, cleaning or doing the dishes. And of course, when you're in a tropical environment, what's hot becomes even hotter so you kind of start melting.

It's fine if you like cooking - love is the secret ingredient and all of that - but a lot of people just don't have that passion. Specially the days long, lots of research version of cooking; a lot of people would just rather spend that time in their hobbies, be it gaming, arts & crafts, reading, music, movies, whatever.

Years
  • Mostly cleaning stuff - sweeping the floors, taking out the trash, doing the dishes, and so on. Also, whenever something heavy needs to be lugged around, there I am.

I'll agree with the crinkling, with the exception of the formal-ish clothes I need to use for work, I don't really care that much about crinkly clothes.

And now a minor rant about cooking.

People who don't like cooking, or aren't very good at it. People who don't have a lot of time available for long cooking sessions. Or really, people who just don't have cooking as a hobby.

Unlike most other chores that can be done mechanically so you can listen to an audiobook or a podcast or even watch a video in certain situations, you often need to pay some level of attention to the food or need to do a lot of things in parallel.

Not to mention that cooking isn't really something you can put off for a while if you don't feel like doing it, since you need to eat, unlike say, cleaning or doing the dishes. And of course, when you're in a tropical environment, what's hot becomes even hotter so you kind of start melting.

It's fine if you like cooking - love is the secret ingredient and all of that - but a lot of people just don't have that passion. Specially the days long, lots of research version of cooking; a lot of people would just rather spend that time in their hobbies, be it gaming, arts & crafts, reading, music, movies, whatever.

Door Dash. If cooking is really that much of a drag for someone, you really don't need to cook. I know plenty of people who don't cook at all and just have all of their food sent to them.

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Door Dash. If cooking is really that much of a drag for someone, you really don't need to cook. I know plenty of people who don't cook at all and just have all of their food sent to them.

I know, I often do eat out or have delivery on the odd occasion when I'm the only one home and have to figure out what I'm going to eat. But that only works because it's not the norm.

It's not really an option where I live for a lot of people, at least for every meal - and that's why I'm saying a lot of people consider it an unskippable chore.

Like, realistically speaking, ordering out for every meal (lunch and dinner) can end up eating at least half of a minimum wage monthly salary over here and I make even less than that, so here's me crying in broke college student. A quarter if you only eat one meal per day, but that might not be feasible if you work at an energy intensive job as a number of minimum wage jobs tend to be. And then you have to consider rent, utilities and all the other fun bills most people have.

Meal prepping / cooking ends up being the economic option for a lot of people, even if they don't particularly like cooking. It's a lesser evil compared to not having money to cut down on debt, save, spend on your hobbies, going out with your friends and so on.

Back