bobandbill

one more time

Male
A cape
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
15,956 posts
12.6 Years
Note: this will become a PokéCommunity Daily article! Your responses - and poll vote - will help shape an upcoming article. Read more here!

Two things to do here. One is to vote for which game you prefer - Pokemon Blue, or Pokemon Red. you can vote based on nostalgia or solid reasoning or the box art... choose wisely. The poll is above.

The second is to explain your choice! Why do you think one is better than the other?

Granted, differences are pretty minor for the early games, but there's still a lot to discuss. Which has the better box art? What about the Pokemon choices - which has the superior set of Pokemon?
Red Only:
Ekans, Arbok, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Mankey, Primeape, Growlithe, Arcanine, Scyther, Electabuzz

Blue Only:
Sandshrew, Sandslash, Meowth, Persian, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victreebel, Vulpix, Ninetales, Pinsir, Magmar
Or is it the rarity of Pokemon between versions? Caterpie for example is much easier to find in Blue than in Red, while the opposite holds for Weedle.

Or is it because of the Game Corner mechanics?

The more detail the better! Defend your choice like it's a Splatfest or something! =p

Staff Anime Villain Collab - Earl de Darkwood - Interstella 5555

Daily | Drabble Dex | A Change of the Season
The Retelling of Pokémon Colosseum
Paired to Sheep :>

Christos

Male
Seen April 16th, 2020
Posted December 16th, 2019
6,370 posts
14.7 Years
Blue!

Charizard is too mainstream and even though I love all three Kanto starters, I like Blastoise (and the color blue) a bit more.

In terms of exclusive Pokémon both games are kind of tied for me, but Vulpix and Pinsir are among my favorite Pokémon.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.

Bay

Darkinium Z

She/They
Dani California
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 18 Hours Ago
6,028 posts
14.4 Years
Even though I prefer Blastoise over Charizard, I prefer Red due to me preferring the Red exclusive Pokemon more than the Blue ones (Vileplume, Arcanine, Scyther and Electabuzz). I admit to liking Ninetales and Magmar, though.

Foul Play
[Chapter Nine up!]

colter519

Youngster

Age 32
Male
Japan
Seen August 20th, 2020
Posted August 14th, 2020
379 posts
5.6 Years
Blue. It was my very first game. Plus I enjoyed being able to get Meowth and Ninetales. And I liked having the less commonly owned game. All my friends had red, so me having blue meant that I had all the version exclusives they needed XD
I just re-opened up my shop specializing in HA and Rare Ball pokemon! Feel free to check it out!

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9573939#post9573939

Mana

Age 29
Male
UK
Seen April 10th, 2020
Posted November 1st, 2019
10,076 posts
11.8 Years
It's Red for me, the fact I could never own a Vulpix in my first pokemon game still haunts me but the rest of the exclusives are way better. :p

Sheep

she/her
Seen 43 Minutes Ago
Posted 45 Minutes Ago
Blue! I love soothing colors like those and Squirtle is superior to Charmander in every way (I'm sorry). The exclusives are good for each version but I'm happy having my cute fox and Meowth over the Red exclusives any day. :-3
art blog | art thread | vpp | mal | ffxiv
sheep x bobandbill 5ever

Charlie Brown

coolcoolcool

Age 25
Male
Melbourne, Australia
Seen December 22nd, 2019
Posted December 22nd, 2019
4,251 posts
8.5 Years
Blue for sure! The Squirtle line is my favourite line in the games so having a powerful-looking Blastoise on the cover is definitely a big plus. My favourite colour as a kid was blue was well so I feel like I definitely connected with Pokemon Blue on a deeper level ;)

Looking at the version exclusives, I love Vileplume and Arbok (both Red exclusives) but also love Magmar and Victreebel (Blue exclusives) so although that wasn't a deciding factor when I was little, it's a win/win (or lose/lose I guess...) situation either way for me.

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher

Male
United States
Seen April 26th, 2020
Posted August 13th, 2018
80 posts
9 Years
Red is the cooler game because of nostalgia, but also because of Growlithe, Arcanine, and Scyther.

The only reason that it makes me sad is that magmar appears only is blue version, how weird that a fire pokemon appears only in pokemon blue....ironic.
Old timer back on the forums.

bobandbill

one more time

Male
A cape
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 6 Hours Ago
15,956 posts
12.6 Years
Bumping for more attention! Article will be written up over the weekend to tie to the end of the Splatoon Splatfest, so more votes and posts will be appreciated!

Staff Anime Villain Collab - Earl de Darkwood - Interstella 5555

Daily | Drabble Dex | A Change of the Season
The Retelling of Pokémon Colosseum
Paired to Sheep :>

Astinus

Age 33
Male
Seen September 20th, 2018
Posted September 10th, 2018
10,105 posts
14.5 Years
I like Blue. It's such a great color, and makes a nice contrast in my red SP.

But I also like Blue because of the exclusive Pokemon. I picked Blue because of Meowth. I wanted a Meowth on my team. And having Sandshrew was a definite plus. Caterpie is my choice over Weedle, since Butterfree was always a better Pokemon in my opinion. It fits in better with my team and play style.

The Game Corner is much better in Blue. It's better to only have to get 6500 coins to get Porygon than it is to pay 9999 coins. And while Dratini is cheaper to get in Red, Porygon is a much better Pokemon (in my opinion).
"Now the trumpet summons us again--
not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need--
not as a call to battle, though embattled we are--
but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out."

Mawa

The typo Queen

Age 27
Female
Canada
Seen August 13th, 2020
Posted March 1st, 2020
4,754 posts
6.5 Years
It's hard.. I prefer the Pokemon in Blue but I always played Red.. more drawn to red.. But I prefer the Pokemon in Blue.. XD
I miiiiight be back?
And why am I not a supporter anymore >.<

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ

Age 25
Female
Land of Tea and Crumpets
Seen September 17th, 2016
Posted September 15th, 2016
395 posts
4.7 Years
I preferred Blue overall, the only reason was because the sea in Red looked like everyone was swimming in blood

Want to join a fun selling/trading/buying Pokemon Facebook Group?
With a varied and helpful admin team?
Join Pokemon Cards Sell/Buy/Trade UK
you don't have to live in the UK to join, anyone is welcome

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent

Age 32
Male
Marysville, Washington State, United States
Seen March 1st, 2018
Posted March 1st, 2018
9,433 posts
6.6 Years
When it comes to Read and Blue, I am going to go with Blue. One of reasons why I am going to go with Blue is because it was the very first Pokemon game I ever played.
Owner of Play Well - The LEGO Fan Club

OSO STRONG

#TeamPopplio

Smiffy01

Ace Trainer

Male
Seen August 17th, 2016
Posted August 17th, 2016
42 posts
4.9 Years
I prefer Blue always have and always will.
"Spearows! Do you know who I am? I'm Ash, from the town of Pallet. I'm destined to be the world's number one Pokémon master! I can't be defeated by the likes of you. I'm going to capture and defeat you all! ...Pikachu, go inside the Poké Ball--it's the only way! ...COME AND GET ME!!!
Male
Seen March 14th, 2016
Posted February 29th, 2016
7 posts
4.6 Years
I chose blue, mainly just because I preferred the version exclusives. There were some exclusives in Red that I liked, such as Arbok and Vileplume, but Blue outweighed those in my opinion. Ninetales,Victreebel, and Persian made it 100% worth it to get Blue.
Plus i prefer blue as a color, but that didn't have much to do with it.

Hikamaru

Age 28
Female
Australia
Seen January 24th, 2019
Posted September 4th, 2018
50,232 posts
9.6 Years
I mostly tend to side with the "blue" versions of most Pokemon paired games, so it'd be natural that I'd prefer Blue of the two.
Gone forever for personal reasons.
Visit my Tumblr page if you wish to contact me.

http://daikenkki.tumblr.com/
Male
Seen May 10th, 2017
Posted April 21st, 2017
484 posts
4.6 Years
The question is not Red or Blue, the question is Fire Red vs. Leaf Green and the winner is Fire Red. Why, you ask? Because Leaf Green is the only Pokemon game that you cannot catch Psyduck/Golduck :( Who wants to live in a world where you can't catch a Psyduck?

Friend Code: 5258-0954-7742 John
Friend Safari: Electric: Dedenne Helioptile Zebstrika
Innovator of the Drunklocke.