This is fine.

Male
A cape
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
15,807 posts
12.4 Years
Article linked above.

Who are you hoping will become the new protagonist?

Tsutarja

Age 25
Male
Florida
Online now
Posted 1 Hour Ago
25,996 posts
10.4 Years
Shame, I had really just started to like Ash more than ever before after watching some more of the anime as of late.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.

Male
on the second floor's nest
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 15 Hours Ago
954 posts
11.8 Years
Jimmy from Legend of Thunder! would bean option I would totally hope it is being considered given he's the one other actual protagonist who also has had a plot going on; everyone else has only had movie cameos.
Venia Silente - Consulting WorldbuilderSocial·🐘ⓜ · · Direct·
Looking for background art.
[World] The Suocéverse «Thread» «Wiki»

Fic stuff~
SWC Selections
: Playfield : As They Were : Simpler than Magic : Beyond Today :

Other Releases
: FF&W Library : Stories : AO3 :

The Meta Journey!
Nidoran : Carnivine : Trapinch

BH

Canine pokemon fan

Age 35
Non-binary
Poland
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
1,047 posts
15.3 Years
Pretty sad none of you know an April Fools joke when you see one *rolls eyes*
It's 5:38 PM here but i know it's a April fools joke, sadly that would be too good to be true if Ash retired
Name - Bartek

Pokemon hacks i support

Red DX, Brown, Glazed, Gold Christmas, Prism (crystal), Polished crystal, Rijon Adventures, Delta Emerald (Both authors), Ashgray, Venotide

Ash

Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
Oh good i can change my name to whoever the new protag is

(Theres such a thing as following along with a joke btw)

Ash

Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
Have it be Team Rocket.
Starring James and his Inkay?

erik destler

would like to battle!

Age 28
Male
louisiana
Seen 58 Minutes Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
8,985 posts
15.1 Years
I agree with Caite let's have it follow Team Rocket as they just explore each region. It'll be cute.

Ash

Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
But what does Team Rocket think about Ash retiring, I wonder.

Palamon

Has sent out Pikachu!

Age 23
Male
Milaturia.
Online now
Posted 17 Hours Ago
5,935 posts
11.5 Years
how about we have a girl replace him for a change nice april fools joke btw
Theme: Osamu Dazai (Bungo to Alchemist)
Pair: Drew

PageEmperor

Y’know what they say, all toasters toast toast!

Male
with an axe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Days Ago
what a story

Soccersam

Hilbert is Badass

Male
Seen June 28th, 2020
Posted May 31st, 2020
177 posts
3.8 Years
Damn. I almost believed this. It wouldn't be too bad if it really happened though. At this point, I feel any protagonist would be better than Ash.
F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

bobandbill

This is fine.

Male
A cape
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
15,807 posts
12.4 Years
I think some people did realise it was an AF joke and just went with it in their posts, haha. But glad some of you seemed to enjoy!
Oh my gosh, that Pikachu gif XD
It's one of my favourites involving Pikachu, haha.
Have it be Team Rocket.
I agree with Caite let's have it follow Team Rocket as they just explore each region. It'll be cute.
They'd have to get used to the idea of not having to chase Ash for his Pikachu half the time. :V

CodeHelmet

Banned

Male
Hayward
Seen June 9th, 2019
Posted June 9th, 2019
3,379 posts
3.1 Years
Thing is, while it’s not a bad joke, there were better options than saying Ash was being retired from the Anime:

Galar Pokemon leak(say a Leprechaun or other Pokémon native to UK for example. Would need help from artist community to pull this off)
Galar final starter evolutions and typings(ongoing debate but it’d be massive clickbait)
Serena returning as Galar main lead <- that would be clickbait x 9000. Iris or another former lead would also entice interest but none more than Serena due to UK’s proximity to France(and hence speculation that she might return).

And so on... If Ash was going to be retired, they would have done it by now as I see it(right after winning Kalos as opposed to coming up short yet again or even earlier than that). Curious as to what the joke will be next year. Could try faking someone’s death or announcing the engagement of two people? *Cough* Sheep and Bob *Cough*

Ash

Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
Ehh. I believe so many other places were probably doing the whole leak thing for April Fools I'm def okay with this as a joke instead haha. 'Sides we had a few other jokes going around the forum too (the fake hacks for one)!!

Nah

Age 27
Female
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
14,234 posts
6.7 Years
some of y'all just gotta learn how to have fun and not take muk so seriously sometimes
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."

bobandbill

This is fine.

Male
A cape
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
15,807 posts
12.4 Years
Thing is, while it’s not a bad joke, there were better options than saying Ash was being retired from the Anime:

Galar Pokemon leak(say a Leprechaun or other Pokémon native to UK for example. Would need help from artist community to pull this off)
Galar final starter evolutions and typings(ongoing debate but it’d be massive clickbait)
Serena returning as Galar main lead <- that would be clickbait x 9000. Iris or another former lead would also entice interest but none more than Serena due to UK’s proximity to France(and hence speculation that she might return).

And so on... If Ash was going to be retired, they would have done it by now as I see it(right after winning Kalos as opposed to coming up short yet again or even earlier than that). Curious as to what the joke will be next year. Could try faking someone’s death or announcing the engagement of two people? *Cough* Sheep and Bob *Cough*
As Ash (the member) said, leaks for new game info is kinda predictable and done already to death without AF. As for Serena being a lead... I must confess I don't really follow the anime (contrary to any hints of that in the article), and so don't follow the fanbase trends so much.

I doubt anyone's death is going to be faked... and no pressure on that last one, huh?
This would've been somewhat funny if it had been even slightly realistic or plausible, but as it stands this was a very lukewarm joke. 7.8/10 too much predictability.
Each to their own - intention was not to be realistic though, given the whole mock press conference and all within the article.

Ash

Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 4 Days Ago
There's different ways to present a joke on April Fool's imo. There's the kind where you're actually trying to get people to take seriously and fool, while other kinds of jokes you don't take seriously from the state and it's just something fun to read/do on April Fools. This falls under the latter clearly with the caption, imo, but to each their own it's no big deal in the end. You either liked the article or you didn't.