• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile Anyone want to see a new Colosseum/XD?

Years
  • I'm finishing up with purifying my Pokémon in Colosseum before moving on to XD. So far I've really liked the feel and plot of this game Wes is cool!!, it's been incredibly fun, and am looking forward to playing the next one. Thoughts on a sequel to these spinoff games? yay or nay?

Years
  • I loved XD, and Colosseum is great too! I personally prefer XD, so if you like the first one...well, I hope you'll get just as much enjoyment if not more from XD!

I would die for a sequel, or even a remake with updated mechanics, but I know it would be lackluster. There's something about the animations in Colo/XD that gives so much life to the pokemon that I just don't feel from the new 3D models' animations. From what I recall, Colo/XD were made in part by another studio? And I really think having that outside source helped them push the models and main gameplay elements to their fullest potential!

XD is definitely my favourite "spinoff" pokemon game. Hands down. It holds up surprisingly well even now, which is hard to say for games! The physical/special hard-set types is my biggest gripe (rip Mightyena, my beloved), but the rest? Phenomenal. 12/10 would play these games forever, and would play countless more!

Years
  • I adore Colosseum & XD: Gale of Darkness I still play them a few times every year with different teams, my favourite part of both games is Mount Battle you know from the start you are battling to win the Earth Ribbon if you do the challenge without changing your team and the music in Colosseum when you face Somek in the 100th Battle is just fantastic although conquering Mount Battle is far easier on XD: Gale of Darkness. Its the best place to train your Pokemon in both games as you can be way over levelled for the rest of the game if you do train on Mount Battle.

The battle with Evice in Colosseum is by far one of the hardest battles in the franchise its joint with Cynthia for difficulty and even though it is possible to beat him being really under levelled it makes such a difference if the levels of your Pokemon match or are close to his in the 60s a recent playthrough had my Pokemon between levels 65-70 when I faced Evice due to the sheer amount of training on Mount Battle and in the Colosseums. He has one of the best battle combos as he can use his Slowking to Skill Swap on Slaking to remove its Truant ability and that makes the battle so much harder. One of my favourite things about Colosseum is that it features alot of Johto Pokemon that are very underrated I have developed a real fondness for Noctowl, Ariados, Forretress & Magcargo because of 'Colosseum'

XD: Gale of Darkness has a better selection of Pokemon and its my favourite of the two games set in Orre, I have never been able to go beyond the very first battle at Orre Colosseum as its virtually impossible to win but overall this game is so much fun to play and Shadow Lugia looks amazing, the purification chamber makes it so much easier to purify Shadow Pokemon and the battle with Greevil on Citadark Isle is really fun and when you beat the game you feel like you really have achieved something special.

My original team Colosseum from release in 2004

Espeon
    Umbreon
    Feraligatr
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Magcargo

My original team on XD: Gale of Darkness from release in 2005

Vaporeon
    Ampharos
    Breloom
    Gardevoir
    Houndoom
    Flygon

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I've never played either, but seeing Shadow Pokemon in other games as well as in Pokemon Go, I'm going to have to say yes. I think a game where there's virtually no wild Pokemon and you have to steal them from the evil team is a really cool concept that needs to be explored again. I definitely think if Nintendo is interested, they'll make another game in that franchise at some point, or even port at least Collo and XD to the Switch.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • I didn't play XD yet, but boy is Colosseum great! it's interesting that we jump in the midst of it, already owning mons in upper 20th levels. also Wes is very cool. would be even cooler if the originally planned XD ending remained! maybe do just that in a sequel? ;) also I need <3 modern <3 Wes <3 model <3

Years
  • It would be deserved to have a remake of these two games in one since it's been almost 18 years since there has been nothing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2022
    Dont know much about colosseum. But pokemon battle revolution for the wii was my LIFE. We had two copies of platinum and we would fight each other on battle revoluiton every day!

pkmin3033

Honestly it would depend on who developed it and their track record with story-based JRPGs. If the spinoffs past and present have proven anything it's that Pokemon games are perfectly capable of telling a great story alongside the gameplay - something every single main series title has failed spectacularly at doing, preferring instead to recycle the same basic story over and over, just with different Legendaries and one-note NPCs - but...well, I think it'd take someone with talent to do a modern iteration of a game like this justice.

Given everything that Genius Sorority have developed after XD, I wouldn't trust them to take the reins of a project like this. Nintendo-owned IPs have also been handed to relatively unknown/outright bad developers with disastrous results as well...giving Mercurysteam the Metroid IP not once, but twice, was a huge mistake. Now, if the likes of Monolith Soft or Bandai Namco were to handle a game like this...that is something that would be worth seeing.

Years
  • I played Colosseum and didn't finish it in the end. It was such a cool game! I love the plot, the characters, the region and how the whole thing was handled. Not only it gave a more adult perspective of the pokemon world, but the whole game mechanic was incredibly great. Not to count how it was focused on the competitive part of pokemon, especially considering double battles!

So, yes I would LOVE to see a new Colosseum/XD because it was amazing and innovative and probably one of my fav games.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    One of my absolute favorite pokemon games. The battling in it is just so much better than the other games, although Legends: Arceus is a good second. I wish, however, in any remake they'd replace the following human with a following pokemon, although I do understand that was probably their way of including a female 'main character' at the time that wouldn't have required extensive cut scene remaking. It's a minor complaint, but that and the fact there is only so much replayability with the fixed 'mons means I only ended up playing it about three times. Might pick it up again sometime though idk.
    A new version with randomization in what mons are fixed at the start would be great although they'd need to make sure you got a good distribution of types and strong mons or you could end up with a much harder version by accident heh.

Years
  • i'd love for a continuation of some sort, but the shadow pokemon plot is done with greevil's defeat in XD. i feel if there's a newer game, it'd have to be some sort of big threat that's on a similar level to shadow pokemon without being the same thing but with a different coat of paint. in that sense, i can see why it's been years since the last game like this. u__u

like, i guess one could argue mind control for an interesting plot, but i feel like that'd be shadow pokemon all over again.

Years
  • There's so many possibilities though, I don't think there has been anywhere near enough exhaustion to justify not expanding more on Orre as a whole really.

Both games were fantastic, they were refreshing and to see a game with such a different and good storyline when alongside the powerhouses that were Ruby/Sapphire. Like this isn't to me the same level as say Conquest etc. which were like fine, this has potential to be developed into something like, REALLY good and hefty but it's just not getting the love it needs.

That said, as a result I wouldn't want the existing Nintendo IPs touching it with a barge pole because they'd only ruin it. Get someone good behind the wheel and a new game could really take off!

Years
    • Seen today
    I've given up hope on a trilogy connecting the two games, but I wouldn't mind seeing a spiritual successor.

Haiku

PokéManiac
    Years
  • I would love a remake or even just a Switch port of the original XD/Colosseum (as I no longer have a GameCube), especially XD which is one of my favorite Pokemon game. But I remember hearing some reason why they'd probably never be released again -- I think there was some kind of disagreement between Nintendo and the studio that made them, or maybe the studio shut down but still owns some rights to the game? I can't remember exactly, but I doubt they will be rereleased (unfortunately).

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Yeah, I'd love to see more games made in this style, but any hope off that died off for me when I found out Game Freak's stance on them, unfortunately.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    What was their stance on them, by the way? I am very curious.

Ok, I could have sworn that this was said somewhere, but upon actively searching for a source, I actually couldn't find anything concrete. So, what I heard very well may have just been rumors or hearsay. But, I recalled that somewhere they said that they hated Colosseum/Gale of Darkness. Something about the games being too dark and going against the family-friendly tone of the rest of the games. The closest I've been able to find about this, though, was on a video of "Did You Know Gaming?" where they go over some details about Colosseum's development and I believe they mentioned that in a 2016 interview, Junichi Masuda was asked if there was a chance/plans for anything in the vein of Stadium or Colosseum, to which the answer was a simple "No." So, I have no clue where I heard what I thought was their stance, but I guess they never really gave their official opinion on the games. My bad on that one. Lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    I don't know why but Pokemon Colosseum and XD were both very difficult for me. I think the prevalence of double battles and me being used to single battles made it hard to strategize and beat the game. But now that I have more experience in VGC battles and practicing on Pokemon Showdown, I welcome a sequel to the Colosseum games especially if they retain the difficulty.

Back