• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] ♥ Wind of Change - Valentine's day 2023 Challenge Event ♥

Years
  • Wind of change in Pokémon Ultra Moon

popplio.gif
    pikachu-f.gif

PART 1

Okay, I could finally start my challenge.

I was a little bit worried about Popplio's Fairy-type restriction, but all of Popplio's starting moves have BP of 40, so I can use them with no problems. I quickly got past the tutorial section, but I still managed to find a new thing about these games. When you go to sleep, Meowth will wake you up and will give you Awakening. These games are more than 5 years old and I'm still finding new small details on each playthrough.

Also for my nicknaming theme, I decided to pick Italian words. I named my Popplio "Informazioni" and while I can't speak Italian, I think this word means "Thank".

Anyway, I quickly got past the tutorial and caught Pichu. I named Pichu "Comprare" and I think it means "You" in Italian. I grinded up a little bit and got Comprare to evolve to Pikachu before I reached Trainers' School. And it's good thing that I did that, because Emily was pain to deal with even in 2v1 match. I had to debuff her Rowlet's attack and even then, I had to heal every other turn.

After that, I had pretty smooth run. Ilma was surprisingly easy, but I also had to use Charm on his Pokémon to make sure I can beat him. Totem Alolan Raticate went down quickly, thanks to the Disarming Voice. Which took down both Totam Pokémon and it's companions at once.

Message to my Scrabler: This is my character:
    oD9mLxu.png
    I'm trying to go with rock/punk look, so you can base your next choices on that. Also don't be afraid of picking Pokémon outside Alola's regional Dex, I can easily hack them in.

Team

popplio.gif

Informazioni, Relaxed Male Popplio
    lvl 14, Torrent
    - Water Gun
    - Aqua Jet
    - Baby-Doll Eyes
    - Disarming Voice

pikachu-f.gif

Comprare, Relaxed Female Pikachu
    lvl 13, Static
    - Thunder Shock
    - Charm
    - Quick Attack
    - Electro Ball​

Years
  • Wind of Change - Update #2

Second segment is over. Normally I'd be stoked to have a Beedrill on my team but the poison restriction makes it nigh unusable. I'm hoping it gets a little better after I get access to toxic spikes but even then I don't have high hopes since due to electric restriction it's very unlikely Beedrill will ever return to the battle. Currently it's sitting in the back with an exp share like a dead weight, too bad the toxic tm is so late...

The other two pokemon are doing great, Azu has destroyed every gym leader so far with rollout so no issues there.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Wind of Change - Update #3 (5/8 gyms)

let's just say It's been rough. At least with such team Rotom gets to fight every few fights or so which is nice.

Note to Scrambler: I see the chaos you've bestowed on me and I'm all for it, but I'd request a little bit of foresight when assigning pokemon. Like if I wasn't blind and had noticed the Ampharos replacement, Beedrill would have been almost completely unusable in the previous segment :P I like a proper challenge but I don't like carrying dead weight.

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I have got the third medal. It wasn't as easy as before, but not even that hard. I have a nice team. Whitney was a little harder because of her usual combo, but luckily I could add my third pokemon to the party before battling her. It was a female Gastly. It was level 4, so I had to do some levels up, which wasn't bad. Because of poison type restriction, it can't attack a pokemon not affected by a status condition, so I just used her to switch strategically my pokemon and with a bit of luck Miltank was defeated. Geodude is really strong ngl. I am pretty satisfied with my team rn.

3rd_gym.png

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I started the game and did the usual story beats, until I got my starter. After that I hacked Clefairy in. I didn't do Cleffa because 1) it's a baby and 2) grinding friendship in SwSh isn't hard so I'd be able to functionally get Clefairy in a very short amount of time.

I copied the IVs and nature from the starter (Grookey) but did select Magic Guard as an ability because if I were catching I could just keep doing it / resetting until I got that ability. (Although in the interest of transparency, I didn't even need to manually change anything since Grookey was ability 2, it just so happens that ability 2 on Grookey is the same as ability 1).

After that I beat Hop, did the Weald thingy and the Magnolia thungy and continued until I reached the Wild Area. Once there, I did a cheeky sneak to the high level area to nab a Moon Stone and evolve Clefairy.

After that I get to the Isle of Armor and do the basic plot until I get the Experience Charm and unlock the Cram-o-matic, where I get a Life Orb, and then I go back and move the plot along.

On Route 3 I capture Gossifleur and then I just generally saunter to Turfield.

And then I just destroy Milo, because you see, Clefable gets Cosmic Power and Stored Power. Stored Power has a listed 20 BP so it's always OK to use when you're a fairy type but it can get a very, very, high effective BP.

Which means that as long as the first Pokemon of a trainer can't kill me relatively quickly, Clefable can set up to Def, SpDef + 6 and then just spam Stored Power (with Disarming Voice as a safe alternative for most Dark types).

I didn't even really use Gossifleur this segment since there was only one moment where using it made sense (and even then Clefable could have handled) but I'm glad I have it handy since having a grass type for next gym will probably be a good thing.

Thoughts so far:
    - Clefable is broken and I love it
    - Gossifleur exists, I think. I'm not entirely sure.

Current badges: 1

Years

brionne.gif
    pikachu-f.gif
    snorunt.gif

PART 2

Well, this will be a quick update. I hacked in level 5 Snorunt and named it "Fine", which I'm most certain in means "for" in Italian. I barely used it, because of Ghost restriction, but it actually helped me a little bit with that one trainer with Cottonee. It beat both Informazioni and Comprare, so I was glad I had one more Pokémon on team.

I also had pretty fun battle with Soliera and her Furfrou. It crit Comprare with Headbutt, so I sent out Fine. I've used Double Team to make sure I can survive, while Furfrou used Sand-Attack. We spent several minutes just trying to hit each other, but in the end, I came out on top.

I got to Hala and the battle was fairly straighforward. I had to use Rotom Boost, because Hala's Machop's Revenge chipped away huge chunk of my HP, and then spammed Disarming Voice on everything. In the end, Informazioni evolved in Brionne.

Message to my Scrambler: Thanks, I'm enjoying the run so far.

Team

brionne.gif

Informazioni, Relaxed Male Brionne
    lvl 17, Torrent
    - Water Gun
    - Aqua Jet
    - Icy Wind
    - Disarming Voice

pikachu-f.gif

Comprare, Relaxed Female Pikachu
    lvl 15, Static
    - Thunder Shock
    - Charm
    - Quick Attack
    - Electro Ball

snorunt.gif

Fine, Sassy Female Snorunt
    lvl 16, Ice Body
    - Icy Wind
    - Leer
    - Double Team
    - Ice Shard​

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Before I begin, due to how both the Pokemon I have available can be caught at Floccesy Ranch, I opted to use the randomizer to change one of the starter options simply to save time having to grind two Pokemon instead of just one. However, I chose hard mode for this by picking the least favorable option.

Current Restictions: Normal - After Level 20, can only alternate between attacking and status moves in battle. This will not matter right now since I start at Level 5, but will likely be a problem later down the road.
    Steel - No items in battle from the bag. Simple, but also means I can't bail myself out of a bad situation with heals.

Anyway, starting out, we go through our usual song and dance. Hugh will later unleash his rage all over the place, but for now he's fairly harmless, depending on how you look at it. Anyway, before we move on, I will say I did turn on "Run without Running Shoes" for the sake of speed, even though you get the Running Shoes fairly early on.

With that out of the way, Snivy got the Thanos Snap and got replaced with another snake Pokemon, Dunsparce. It's...not great, but it actually has moves this gen, unlike Gen 2. Before beginning to type this, I will admit I didn't know Dunspace got Rollout at Level 4 in B2/W2. I only gave Snivy the snap because I thought Emboar would be a more threatening opponent in the lategame. I also did savescum for Serene Grace, mostly because Run Away is borderline useless, and Dunsparce will need every edge it can get because of it's low stats. I'm running under the assumption I'll be stuck with this thing the whole game, and I know the possibility of my shuffler changing things up on me is possible, but for now, let's run under the assumption I'll be stuck with my current team for the foreseeable future.

Anyway, back to business. He literally crit me with Tackle on the first turn. I think that's just an omen for things to come. Overall, he wasn't too bad, since all it took was 2 Rollouts. I was playing it safe by using Defense Curl turn 1, though, but I have a -Speed nature and we speed tie. With that aside, I am free to move on to the next town.

Wading my way through Patrats, Purrloins, and Alder's textboxes, we arrive at Floccesy Ranch, home of my second Pokemon...and another rival battle already. After numerous Lillipup encounters, I found my target, a Riolu. Like with Dunsparce, I did not do my research beforehand and thought this thing got Force Palm earlier than it does. It does not. Level 15 in B2/W2. I also got Inner Focus, so rip Steadfast Lucario. Before fighting Hugh again, despite the fact I could just use the exact same strategy I used the first time on him, I decided to grind up a bit just to get Anubis, my Riolu, caught up in level. We still have the gym to worry about, after all.

Hugh 2 went about as well as you'd expect. I grinded to Level 8 and nuked Tepig with two Rollouts. With that little distraction out of the way, a quest to find a missing Herdier begins, which ends in getting a free TM and being sent on our way back to Alder. I beat up a couple of children's monkies...which sounds really weird when you think of that out of context. Anyway, it's time for the first gym, where we will probably obliterate everything in it.

After an introduction and a free Fresh Water, we're off to the races. The first trainer was mowed down by Rollout while the second got hit with the old Quick Attack and Counter combo deal we have going right now, only for a limited time because Counter isn't totally reliable once we start fighting more special attackers. A quick trip to the Pokemon Center later, and it's time for the showdown. Because Dunsparce needs experience, I led with her against Cheren's first Pokemon. I could get away with Rollout all over this team, but...I missed the Rollout that would've killed and got hit by a crit +2 attack for my punishment. Dunsparce didn't die, so I finished off Patrat with Pursuit. Guess it goes to show you that you can't rely on moves like Rollout or Ice Ball...ever.

Lillipup was pretty touch and go. Quick Attack did little damage, and Tackle did a solid chunk of damage. As a gamble, I tried Counter on turn 2, which nearly finished it off, and Anubis lived on 6, allowing me to win with Tackle. Truly, the power of gambles won the day today.

As I am not allowed to make any more progress, that will be all. Next time, we will move past Aspertia and it's general area into Virbank City, and with it Audino grinding to make my life infinitely easier.

The Squad

dunsparce.gif

Segments (Dunsparce) Lv. 11
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Moves: Rage, Defense Curl, Rollout, Pursuit

riolu.gif

Anubis (Riolu) Lv. 13
    Nature: Lax
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Moves: Feint, Quick Attack, Endure, Counter​

Current thoughts: No strong opinions yet, due to Riolu's potential to get good. Dunsparce, however, actually gets moves this gen, so it'll be a bit more reliable than the Gen 2 solo run. Since I'm forced to use a status move after Level 20, Coil will be nice when it eventually comes along.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Spoiler: Gyms 6 and 7: Winona + Tate & Liza

Received a Xatu (Flying restriction) as the next team member. Used one once a long time ago in FireRed, maybe? Easily counts as something not recent.

1: Sassy nature. Synchronize. IVs: 5/7/11/29/8/23
    2: Hardy nature. Early Bird. IVs: 9/28/24/18/10/26
    3: Serious nature. Early Bird. IVs: 20/23/10/24/30/24

Picks #3. Not too bad. Named it "Zephyr" :t178:. Always thinks of the Magic the Gathering card "Zephyr Falcon" with that word. Another male Pokemon. Starts it at level 31, the previous level limit.

Kicks off with awful moves: Peck, Leer, Night Shade, and Teleport. Picked up Future Sight at 35. Waits for Psychic at 65, well beyond what it will reach in this playthrough. Relies entirely on TMs/HMs to accomplish anything.
    • Shadow Ball: Not a great choice. Counts as physical. Carries a base 75 Attack.
    • Psychic: Costs 70000 Pokedollars from the Game Corner. Ehhh. Amassed 91851 thus far. Could also invest that money in Vortex :t224: instead. Mmm...no. Probably should fork over the cash for Zephyr :t178:. Needs a better offensive move than Future Sight.
    • Fly: Not in possession of it yet. Will not be great damage. Likes having it on a main team member, however.
    • Hidden Power: Fighting. Forgets the power (45?). Uh, no.
    • Reflect/Light Screen: The correct answer? Does not raise stats. Protects the slower members while they put in work on rough fights. Buys these in Lilycove, which will be a bit.

So what is the (eventual) moveset? Psychic, Fly, Reflect, Light Screen? Would Wish be a better choice over Light Screen (already on Bolt :t125:)? Leans towards no. Probably heals too slow for Zephyr's :t178: restriction. Too bad about Light Clay being a Generation 4 item, also.

Bought Psychic for Zephyr :t178:, as well as Secret Power for Blitz :t214:. Completed the New Mauville sidequest for a Thunderbolt TM. Saves that just in case of someone else being able to use it.

Laid out this region so poorly. Takes a while to go from Lavaridge to Petalburg to Mauville to progress. Should have handed out Fly at Lavaridge.

Another gripe: Set Norman at level 31 with the strongest (unevolved) wild Pokemon at level 20. Took a while to grind. Surfed over to the new area. Avoided a gaggle of trainers, not to mention level 27 evolved Pokemon, to keep low on experience for Winona's level 33 Altaria.

Beat up Team Magma at the Weather Institute. Was not ready to get ambushed by May.

(Rain active.)
    Turn 1: Blitz: Brick Break (100%) / Wailmer: Fainted
    Turn 2: Blitz: Switch to Vortex / Combusken: Bulk Up
    Turn 3: Vortex: Surf (100%)
    Turn 4: Vortex: Aurora Beam (critical, 100%) / Shroomish: Fainted

Worried for nothing. Helped to have a good anti-Magma setup (Blitz :t214: for Mightyena, Vortex :t224: behind for a Camerupt). Gratefully accepted the Fly HM. Taught it to Zephyr :t178: over Peck right away.

Yikes. Encountered a trainer with Ninjask on the very next battle. Great for Fly, right? Double Team. Swords Dance. Speed Boost. Missed the first Fly. Thankfully criticaled on the second. Misses the days of scary normal trainers.

Carted Zigzagoon around for HMs. Plucks its Pickup items on occasion. (Is not using it in battle.) Gives you pretty amazing items. 10% chance for a Full Restore, regardless of level. Enjoyed Rare Candies and Nuggets at the same odds.

Probably glossed over this as a child. Pushes the nature and healthy living angle hard. Heard about it in Verdanturf and Fortree. Talked about being careful with nature regarding the tunnel.

Reached Winona without overleveling. Evolved :t322: Sirocco :t323: right at the limit. Picks up Rock Slide at the same level, just in time...technically. Picks Bolt :t125: and Vortex :t224: as the intended Pokemon for Winona. Lined up Sirocco :t323:, Zephyr :t178:, and Blitz :t214: behind them.

Turn 1: Swellow: Quick Attack (73/91) (Bolt's Static) / Bolt: Thunder Punch (100%)
    Turn 2: Bolt: Switch to Vortex / Altaria: Dragon Dance
    Turn 3: Altaria: Dragon Dance / Vortex: Aurora Beam (90%)
    Turn 4: Altaria: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / Vortex: Aurora Beam (85%)
    Turn 5: Altaria: Aerial Ace (55/100) / Vortex: Aurora Beam (the rest)
    Turn 6: Pelipper: Protect / Vortex: Psybeam (blocked)
    Turn 7: Vortex: Psybeam (35%) / Pelipper: Aerial Ace (39/100)
    Turn 8: Pelipper: Protect / Vortex: Aurora Beam (blocked)
    Turn 9: Vortex: Aurora Beam (40%) / Pelipper: Aerial Ace (24/100)
    Turn 10: Vortex: Aurora Beam (the rest)
    Turn 11: Vortex: Switch to Sirocco / Skarmory: Aerial Ace (74/95)
    Turn 12: Skarmory: Sand Attack / Sirocco: Ember (70%)
    Turn 13: Skarmory: Aerial Ace (53/95) / Sirocco: Ember (the rest)

Was not prepared for Altaria second. Grew too accustomed to the ace always being last.

Jumps the level limit up to level 42 for Tate and Liza. Fights trainers without worry now.

Fought May again. Did not bother to record it. Dislikes the number of things using Double Team. Looks right at May's Swellow Double Teaming four times straight.

Upgraded Sirocco's :t323: Ember to Fire Blast with Lilycove's TMs. Nabbed dual screens for Zephyr :t178: too.

Battled through Mt Pyre. Remembered that taking longer. Probably went through the tower section first. Beelines to the orb very easily.

Reached Mossdeep City around level 37. Decided to level everyone to 41, given the limit of 43 for next section's gym. Keeps it a little fairer. Battled all the trainers in the gym and plenty in the massive expanse of water. Still came up a little short. Cleaned up the pre-Fortree area too.

Plan: Do the Doubles thing. Lead with Vortex :t224: and Zephyr :t178:. Sets up a Light Screen against the incoming Solarbeam. Hopefully inflicts major damage before the Sunny Day (unlikely) with a big Surf. May swap out both leads. Order after the leaders: Sirocco :t323:, Bolt :t125:, and Blitz :t214:.

Turn 1: Zephyr: Light Screen / Lunatone: Psychic (10% to Zephyr) / Solrock: Sunny Day / Vortex: Surf (25% to Lunatone, 40% to Solrock)
    Turn 2: Vortex: Switch to Sirocco / Zephyr: Switch to Bolt / Lunatone: Hypnosis (at Sirocco) / Solrock: Flamethrower (15% to Bolt)
    Turn 3: Sirocco: Awakening / Bolt: Thunder Punch (45% at Solrock) / Lunatone: Psychic (at Sirocco, 35%) / Solrock: Psychic (at Bolt, 25%)
    Turn 4: Solrock: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / Bolt: Thunder Punch (at Lunatone, 40%) / Lunatone: Hypnosis (miss) / Sirocco: Rock Slide (10% to Solrock, 10% to Lunatone)
    Turn 5: Lunatone: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / Bolt: Thunder Punch (at Lunatone, 40%) / Solrock: Psychic (at Sirocco, 30%) / Sirocco: Fire Blast (at Lunatone, 50%, Burn)
    (Sunlight down. Light Screen down. Fainted Lunatone from the burn.)
    Turn 6: Sirocco: Fire Blast (40%, Burn) / Bolt: Light Screen / Solrock: Psychic (at Sirocco, 25%)
    Turn 7: Sirocco: Switch to Blitz / Bolt: Thunder Punch (critical, the rest)

(Short version of that messy log: Inflicted some damage with Surf (with Sun up). Swapped out both leads on Turn 2. Inflicted decent damage with Fire Blast and Thunder Punch. Lost no one in the battle. Put Sirocco :t323: in the red, though. Loves screens for a reason.)

Probably should have led with Bolt :t125:. Mostly wanted to use Zephyr :t178:. Was not scared of Rock moves, though.

Sidenote: Needs to be more attentive on the Bug and Flying restrictions. Enters a mindless grinding mode against most normal trainers. Cannot recall any fights where the restrictions would have triggered, fortunately. Stands a much higher chance of mattering against the Elite Four.

Winds of Change Badge 7.png

Team
    Vortex the Octillery :t224:
    Level: 41
    Moves: Surf, Aurora Beam, Psybeam, Lock-On
    Restriction: Water

Sirocco the Camerupt :t323:
    Moves: Fire Blast, Rock Slide, Take Down, Earthquake
    Restriction: Fire

Bolt the Electabuzz :t125:
    Moves: Thunder Punch, Swift, Quick Attack, Light Screen
    Restriction: Electric

Blitz the Heracross :t214:
    Moves: Secret Power, Brick Break, Leer, Endure
    Restriction: Bug

Zephyr the Xatu :t178:
    Moves: Psychic, Fly, Reflect, Light Screen
    Restriction: Flying

Current thoughts: Kind of middling on Zephyr (Xatu) :t178:. Did nothing wrong. Simply never really needed it yet. Might come in handy against Drake and Steven, though.

Holds roughly the same view on restrictions as before. Definitely do not pick Dragon. Deletes all of Zephyr's :t178: moves. Leads to fishing for Heart Scales.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    We get the bike, Gossifleur evolves and then we trounce Nessa: Edelgoss is just super effective and can Dynamax, while Clefable is a wall and can learn Magical Leaf. She never had a chance.

It took me a while - a 5% chance purple Pokemon in a place full of other purple Pokemon and with a bunch of weather effects on screen, super easy to find - but I managed to get a Toxel - apparently the game messes with the catch rates for the worse before you complete the story 🙃

Toxel evolved into Low Key Toxtricity, which is marginally worse than Amped, but oh well, at least it has the good ability. I'll take that.

Kabu was whatever, I guess. Toxtricity was OK although OK feels a bit underwhelming after Clefable but it happens, ya know? Still, it dealt with Kabu's two first Pokemon while Clefable killed the centipede and that's that.

Thoughts so far:
    - Clefable is still as good as always
    - Toxtricity is OK. It'd be better with some better moves but that comes later. When we start getting the fun stuff like Hyper Voice or Overdrive, it'll get a lot better.
    - Eldegoss exists, although it'll probably get boxed soon enough since it's just ... not that useful in general? It has a meh type, has a movepool shallower than one of those inflatable toddler pools and just isn't that cute / cool to me?

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • I don't know who my shuffler is, but the fact they picked out one of my favorite Gen 2 mons tells me they're either secretly a mind reader or it was dumb luck. A large part of me wants to assume the latter. On another note, for once I actually did check and see what moves this thing gets before starting, so I have a general idea of how I want to go with this.

Current Restictions: Normal - After Level 20, can only alternate between attacking and status moves in battle. While this won't be a problem now, post Roxie is when this will likely begin to go into effect since I'm not grinding beyond Level 19 before Roxie.
    Steel - No items in battle from the bag. Will likely become more problematic as we progress due to stronger opponents.
    Electric - When switching out in battle, I must choose the next Pokemon in the list in order. This does make the arrangement of my team more of something to think about, and I can't just mindlessly switch in whoever I want now.

So, coming back to the game after...whenever it was I did the first update, which I think was yesterday, the team is looking a little beat up after the fight with Cheren. Anubis has 9 HP and Segments is only Level 11, so we're probably going to be using Segments more until we reach Virbank City and I can abuse the speedup button while I beat up Audinos for big experience. On the way out, however, we are interrupted by Bianca and Cheren. We get the C-Gear, which I'll always have off since it's nearly worthless, but I do like how you can call Bianca anytime to check on happiness progress. It's a nice feature that's readily available...but we'll never have it so close at hand ever again after this game, which is a real shame.

Anyway, before we head off towards Virbank City, it's time to go back to the ranch one last time to collect my third team member, a Mareep who will eventually evolve into an Ampharos. As per the rules, I must name it Amphy. What, no, not this challenge's rules, my own personal "Gen 2 nostalgia" rules. We're naming it Amphy and that's the end of that. Speaking of which, it is nice to have a special attacker on the team now, even if Ampharos is pretty lacking in the speed department. According to Serebii, Mareep also apparently has a 10% encounter rate, but when I was grinding before, I didn't encounter a single one. Same case with Pidove. Grass is weird sometimes, man.

Now, the current problem is...this thing is Level 5 while the rest of my team is above Level 10. Switch training it is, then. As per usual, we will smash through all the trainers in hopes of getting some levels. Amphy got caught up, Anubis is one level away from Force Palm, and Segments...exists, I guess. The receptionist lady basically tells me "lol you only have 3 mons, you suck, have some Great Balls" and we're on our way. Of course, the moment I walk in, I get to be a third party to family drama, but we'll cross that bridge later. For now, Audino grinding awaits.

A while later and maybe a visit to Virbank Complex to beat the trainers there and we are set. The whole party's Level 18, Anubis still hasn't evolved, and it's gym time. Since Anubis won't be doing much here, I mainly used her in the complex to get some experience, since this gym will likely be the Amphy and Segments show. Now, before getting into the gym, I wonder how Game Freak failed so hard in future games when it came to the sheer lack of voice acting when they showed in this game it was very much possible. I'm going to save my...dislike for Sword and Shield out of this and just get to the battles.

While the first two trainers were no real threat, there's still Roxie herself to worry about, and since she's still mad at her dad, she intends to take out her frustration on this lowly challenger. Anyway, in all my infinite wisdom, I forgot to give my Pokemon the Pecha Berries, since the "no items from the bag in battle" rule doesn't apply to held items...I think. Either way, I didn't really need them. I went into this thinking Roxie had 3 Pokemon, but I must've been thinking of Challenge Mode. Koffing went down easy to two Thundershocks and Whirlipede got taken out by a combo of Amphy's Thundershocks and old reliable, Rollout, once Amphy's HP got low. With that, we are two badges down, but Segments is one level away from being hit by it's restriction.

For now, cue the part where we skip over Pokestar Studios talk and move onto the part where we fight Team Plasma. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate Pokestar Studios. In fact, it's one of my favorite side activities in this game. It's more that I had a bad experience with learning if you can't save the game, you're softlocked. But enough about that, we got grunts to smash. Being earlygame Plasma grunts, all of their mons are weak to Fighting, which are easy pickings for Anubis. Since she'll be pretty hard to use in the next gym, best to get her any experience I can. With that aside, it's off to Castelia, where right away, I have an encounter with my worst enemy: a clown. Clowns are evil, but this one gave me a free bike and probably wants to rip my soul out of my body in secret.

Anyway, with the power of bikes, I went around and took care of the Battle Company and proceeded with the plot in order to meet Colress, the best character in the game (in my opinion). While exploring Relic Passage after taking care of the plot in the sewers, Anubis evolved into Lucario...mostly because I was playing at 6 AM, so that's nice. Would've been a bit more useful earlier, but that's fine. The gym, however, is beginning to highlight the fatal problem with Segments via the Normal restriction. She now essentially has Traunt, where I have to waste one turn not attacking unless I use Rollout, which locks me in until it misses. Even worse, Segments is the only Pokemon on my team that can take out all these Bug types easily.

Burgh was...a lot less easy than Roxie was. I thought he led with Dwebble, but no, he leads with Swadloon, so I had to waste a turn switching from Amphy to Segments. Rollout dealt with Swadloon, but then I triggered Sturdy on Dwebble...twice, because Burgh used his Hyper Potion. Because of having to use Screech the next turn on Leavanny, I had little option but to switch in Anubis only to get crit right away by Razor Leaf. Anubis was able to take care of business, ending up at low HP again like she seems to always end up. Either way, that's 3 badges obtained.

At least next time I get more Colress, so that's something to look forward to.

The Squad

dunsparce.gif

Segments (Dunsparce) Lv. 23
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Moves: Ancientpower, Screech, Rollout, Pursuit

lucario.gif

Anubis (Lucario) Lv. 23
    Moves: Return, Quick Attack, Force Palm, Counter

flaaffy.gif

Amphy (Flaaffy) Lv. 22
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Static
    Moves: Take Down, Charge, Thunder Wave, Thundershock

Leftovers and Scope Lens are being passed around as needed.​

Current thoughts: The current elephant in the room is Segments. Having to waste every other turn on Screech and having less than fantastic stats is slowly going to make Segments fall behind even further, especially with the Electric restriction in mind. I currently have no problems with Amphy and Anubis so far aside from Amphy being slow and it'll be a long time before I get Thunderbolt. I don't know why I still have Counter, though.

As a final note, even though I did use the randomizer to change Snivy to Dunsparce, I didn't turn off trade evolutions. Meaning I can't get mons that require trade to evolve, like Kingdra, Conkeldurr or Slowking.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Spoiler: Wallace and Elite Four (Final)

Buckle in for a long update. Stretches out a lot from logs. May not be too long if you read the afterthoughts rather than the logs.

Recruits a Glalie for the final team spot. Covers the team's shortcomings pretty effectively with stronger Ice (for Drake) and Dark (for Phoebe). Used a Froslass before for an Ice monotype, but not Glalie. Laments Moody not being an option, once again.

Generates 3 Snorunts at level 41 (the "limit" for the last update and one before its evolution, coincidentally).
    1: Relaxed nature. IVs: 23/11/15/17/18/22 (59 Power Bug)
    2: Brave nature. IVs: 29/11/6/19/7/12
    3: Relaxed nature. IVs: 29/19/25/14/21/30

Blames random.org for the repeated natures. Forces a -Speed nature one way or another. Relies on Special for both Dark and Ice. Accepts the great overall IV spread of #3...with the worst Special Attack. Oh well. Absorbs hits (like all the Flamethrowers) better. Never planned to move first.

Named it "Squall" :t361:. Rounds out the team with a male. Comes with Ice Beam and Crunch. Almost feels redundant to add a third Light Screen to the team. Could shove Water Pulse in after the gym.

Works out fine, though, due to the Ice restriction. Prevents using more than two moves per Pokemon per trainer battle. Miiiight affect Zephyr :t178:. Barely knows more than two worthwhile moves on every Pokemon. (Exaggerates a little, but only a little.)

Floated around the sea aimlessly in search of the underwater cave. Found it. Requires Dive, Surf, Strength, and Rock Smash. Taught the latter two to Blitz :t214:. Did not need Endure and Leer. Hates to do it, regardless. (Also taught Dive over Lock-on for Vortex :t224:.)

Whoops. Thought Groudon was before Maxie. Meant to lead with Blitz :t214:. Happens. Order: Vortex :t224:, Blitz :t214:, Sirocco :t323:, Bolt :t125:, Zephyr :t178:, and Squall :t361:.

(Mightyena's Intimidate)
    Turn 1: Mightyena: Swagger / Vortex: Hit itself (95/123)
    Turn 2: Mightyena: Take Down / Vortex: Hit itself (43/123)
    Turn 3: Vortex: Switch to Blitz / Mightyena: Take Down (100/131)
    Turn 4: Blitz: Brick Break (100%)
    Turn 5: Blitz: Switch to Sirocco / Crobat: Air Cutter (84/115)
    Turn 6: Crobat: Air Cutter (critcal, 24/115) / Sirocco: Rock Slide (critica, 100%)
    Turn 7: Sirocco: Earthquake (100%) / Camerupt: Fainted

Gambled on having the faster camel, despite the two level disadvantage.

Who had the gall to put in a dark cave after covering the world in bright sun? (Navigated it very easily, but still.)

...Accidentally killed Groudon. Could have Master Balled it, sure. Did not expect that Sirocco :t323: flex. Criticaled the first Earthquake. Accomplished nothing with the second (after two Bulk Ups from Groudon). Traded Fire Blasts. Smoked Groudon with that. Hit for...40% (at least)? Not bad, even with sunlight.

Exited the cave. Met nobody waiting outside. Hello? Saved the world with local camel Sirocco :t323:.

Evolved :t361: Squall :t362: on the Sootoplis gym trainers. Taught Bolt :t125: Thunderbolt via TM. Could not be taught to anyone else. Might as well get it four levels early.

Sighs. Dealt with another experience point desert. Gives terrible experience in the Cave of Origin, minus the 10% Golbats probably. Tried the Super Rod. Why does it take 5+ timed inputs to reel in a single Pokemon? Implemented the Suction Cups function in Emerald, annoyingly.

Leveled everyone up to 43 (not a huge jump). Considered not bothering and making up for it in Victory Road. Wound up grinding underwater. Racked up some Effort Values of some kind.

Plan: Lead with Blitz :t214:. Switch in Bolt :t125: after Whiscash. Would be smarter to teach Vortex :t224: Bullet Seed. Does not feel particularly threatened. Order: Blitz :t214:, Bolt :t125:, Zephyr :t178:, Sirocco :t323:, Vortex :t224:, and Squall :t362:.

Turn 1: Blitz: Brick Break (100%) / Luvdisc: Fainted
    Turn 2: Blitz: Brick Break (55%) / Whiscash: Amnesia
    Turn 3: Blitz: Brick Break (the rest)
    Turn 4: Blitz: Switch to Bolt / Sealeo: Aurora Beam (95/117)
    Turn 5: Bolt: Thunderbolt (100%)
    Turn 6: Bolt: Thunderbolt (100%) / Seaking: Fainted
    Turn 7: Bolt: Thunderbolt (65%) / Milotic: Water Pulse (critical, 26/117) (Sitrus Berry to 56/117)
    Turn 8: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)

Yep. Easy.

Backtracked for Nevermeltice. Opted not to run through Trick House 6 for a Magnet. Passed on a Black Belt too. Never knew you needed Thief for something like that. (Did not know about rematches either. Waited to get an item for rematches.)

Encountered wild level 40s in Victory Road. Was that so hard to put earlier? Doubled experience gain.

Who was the jerk who decided to require Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Waterfall, and Flash for Victory Road?

Stumbled through Victory Road. Messed up on the Flying restriction on a random trainer. Did not make a major difference, but even so. Went the whole time without it mattering before (probably). Made it hard to notice.

Actual trainer: Wally. Started with some minor injuries. Order: Bolt :t125:, Vortex :t224:, Blitz :t214:, Squall :t362:, Zephyr :t178:, and Sirocco :t323:. Caught a glimpse of Wally's team while looking through the map for Victory Road. Did not look in advance otherwise.

Turn 1: Bolt: Thunderbolt (45%) / Altaria: Safeguard
    Turn 2: Altaria: Super Potion (heal to 99%) / Bolt: Light Screen
    Turn 3: Bolt: Thunderbolt (45%) / Altaria: Dragon Dance
    Turn 4: Altaria: Dragon Dance / Bolt: Thunderbolt (45%)
    Turn 5: Altaria: Aerial Ace (68/120) (Bolt's Static) / Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)
    (Safeguard down.)
    Turn 6: Bolt: Thunderbolt (90%) / Delcatty: Sing
    (Light Screen down.)
    Turn 7: Bolt: Switch to Vortex / Delcatty: Assist (Magical Leaf) (102/132)
    Turn 8: Vortex: Surf (the rest)
    Turn 9: Vortex: Switch to Blitz / Magneton: Thunderbolt (94/140)
    Turn 10: Blitz: Brick Break (100%)
    Turn 11: Blitz: Secret Power (50%) / Gardevoir: Future Sight
    Turn 12: Blitz: Switch to Squall / Gardevoir: Super Potion (heal to 90%)
    Turn 13: Squall: Protect / Gardevoir: Calm Mind
    (Future Sight: Failed)
    Turn 14: Gardevoir: Double Team / Squall: Crunch (25%)
    Turn 15: Gardevoir: Psychic (0/139)
    Turn 16: Zephyr: Light Screen / Gardevoir: Psychic (67/128)
    Turn 17: Zephyr: Switch to Sirocco / Gardevoir: Calm Mind
    Turn 18: Gardevoir: Psychic (26/123) / Sirocco: Earthquake (miss)
    Turn 19: Gardevoir: Psychic (0/123)
    Turn 20: Bolt: Full Restore (heal to full, awake) / Gardevoir: Calm Mind
    (Light Screen down.)
    Turn 21: Bolt: Light Screen / Gardevoir: Psychic (40/120)
    Turn 22: Bolt: Thunderbolt (20%) / Gardevoir: Psychic (0/120)
    Turn 23: Gardevoir: Psychic (6/132) / Vortex: Surf (15%)
    Turn 24: Vortex: Super Potion (on Blitz, heal to full) / Gardevoir: Psychic (0/132)
    Turn 25: Blitz: Secret Power (the rest)
    (Light Screen down)
    Turn 26: Blitz: Secret Power (80%) / Roselia: Flinch
    Turn 27: Blitz: Secret Power (the rest)

Yikes. Cycled through the whole team just on Gardevoir (and ended up back on Blitz :t214:). Would have saved a lot of problems by continuing to Secret Power or actually hitting with Earthquake. Stacked three Calm Minds and a Double Team. Hit way too hard through Light Screen.

Other bits worth commenting on:
    - Assist into Magical Leaf against Vortex :t224:? Really? Hit for nothing, but still.
    - Actually ran into the Ice restriction. Wanted to Quick Attack that Altaria. Already used two moves. Took a +2 Aerial Ace because of it.
    - Really felt that Physical/Special split on Squall's :t362: sad Crunch.
    - Ended that match with Blitz :t214: at full and Zephyr :t178: a little above half health.
    - Feels a little happy about using Protect kind of well.

Made it to the Pokemon Center. Stands at level 44 and 45. Notes Steven's Metagross at level 58. Seriously?

...Okay then. Leveled everyone to 45, well below the limit. (Would normally choose Drake's ace.) Wants to send this team through the wringer. Pooh-poohed most of the gym leaders so far. (Mentioned not playing Sapphire in over a decade. Did not know how difficult it would be.) Clearly did not want you to fight them on par. Gave you badge stats boosts to compensate.

Stocked up on items. Will need them. Made a save state before entering. Preserves cash that way, in case of this being a horrible idea.

A reminder of all restrictions:
    - Set mode
    - No X-items or in-battle Revives
    - 3 items per battle
    - Water: No guaranteed stat boost moves
    - Fire: No non-Fire status moves for Sirocco :t323:
    - Electric: Switch in party order
    - Bug: Five turn limit (at a time) for Blitz :t214:
    - Flying: Heal or switch Zephyr :t178: at 50% health and under.
    - Ice: Two moves per Pokemon per trainer battle.

From one of the Elite Four door guards: "TRAINER! Believe in yourself and your Pokemon, and go forth!" Already failed that.

First up: Sidney. Leads with Vortex :t224:. Placed Blitz :t214: to come in for the Grass/Dark. After that: Squall :t362:, Bolt :t125:, Sirocco :t323:, and Zephyr :t178:.

(Mightyena's Intimidate)
    Turn 1: Mightyena: Sand Attack / Vortex: Surf (miss)
    Turn 2: Mightyena: Sand Attack / Vortex: Surf (90%)
    Turn 3: Mightyena: Full Restore (heal to full) / Vortex: Surf (miss)
    Turn 4: Mightyena: Sand Attack / Vortex: Surf (95%)
    Turn 5: Mightyena: Switch to Cacturne / Vortex: Aurora Beam (miss)
    Turn 6: Vortex: Switch to Blitz / Cacturne: Cotton Spore
    Turn 7: Cacturne: Needle Arm (125/143) / Blitz: Brick Break (100%)
    Turn 8: Shiftry: Fake Out (103/143) / Blitz: Flinch
    Turn 9: Shiftry: Double Team / Blitz: Brick Break (100%)
    Turn 10: Blitz: Switch to Squall / Absol: Aerial Ace (112/142)
    Turn 11: Absol: Swords Dance / Squall: Ice Beam (55%) (Absol's Sitrus Berry, heal to 70%)
    Turn 12: Absol: Slash (34/142) / Squall: Ice Beam (50%)
    Turn 13: Absol: Slash (0/142)
    Turn 14: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)
    (Mightyena's Intimidate)
    Turn 15: Mightyena: Full Restore (heal to full) / Bolt: Thunderbolt (75%)
    Turn 16: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)
    Turn 17: Bolt: Thunderbolt (100%) / Sharpedo: Fainted

Only one faint. (Allows Revives out of battle, for the record.) Not too bad. Could not risk a critical +2 Slash on Bolt :t125:.

Almost nailed a great moment by switching to Aurora Beam on the Cacturne switch. Also nearly hit Blitz's :t214: five turn timer. Nearly. Has yet to matter.

Next: Phoebe and the ghosts. Handed the Blackglasses to Squall :t362:, the lead. Just remembered to teach Blitz :t214: Earthquake. Forgot to drop Strength and Rock Smash. Will deal without Secret Power. Has something that can hit Ghosts now. Order: Squall :t362:, Bolt :t125:, Vortex :t224:, Blitz :t214:, Sirocco :t323:, and Zephyr :t178:

Turn 1: Squall: Crunch (critical, 95%) / Dusclops: Curse (fainted)
    (Curse damage to 107/142)
    Turn 2: Squall: Switch to Bolt / Banette: Spite (failed)
    Turn 3: Bolt: Thunderbolt (50%) / Banette: Spite
    Turn 4: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)
    Turn 5: Bolt: Thunderbolt (33%) / Dusclops: Confuse Ray
    Turn 6: Bolt: Switch to Vortex / Dusclops: Earthquake (98/135)
    Turn 7: Vortex: Surf (40%) / Dusclops: Shadow Ball (50/135)
    (Dusclops's Sitrus Berry to 50%)
    Turn 8: Vortex: Surf (40%) / Dusclops: Shadow Ball (1/135)
    Turn 9: Vortex: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / Dusclops: Full Restore (heal to full)
    Turn 10: Vortex: Surf (45%) / Dusclops: Confuse Ray
    Turn 11: Vortex: Switch to Blitz / Dusclops: Shadow Ball (90/143)
    Turn 12: Blitz: Earthquake (30%) / Dusclops: Shadow Ball (33/143, -1 Special Defense)
    Turn 13: Blitz: Earthquake (the rest)
    Turn 14: Blitz: Switch to Sirocco / Sableye: Shadow Ball (76/126, -1 Special Defense)
    Turn 15: Sirocco: Earthquake (50%) / Sableye: Faint Attack (22/126)
    Turn 16: Sableye: Psychic (0/126)
    Turn 17: Zephyr: Reflect / Sableye: Attract
    Turn 18: Zephyr: Switch to Squall / Sableye: Shadow Ball (critical, 14/142)
    Turn 19: Squall: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / Sableye: Shadow Ball (121/142)
    Turn 20: Squall: Ice Beam (45%) / Sableye: Psychic (89/142)
    Turn 21: Sableye: Full Restore (heal to full) / Squall: Ice Beam (45%)
    (Reflect down.)
    Turn 22: Squall: Ice Beam (45%) / Sableye: Shadow Ball (44/142)
    Turn 23: Squall: Ice Beam (the rest)
    Turn 24: Banette: Shadow Ball (0/142)
    Turn 25: Bolt: Thunderbolt (75%) / Banette: Skill Swap
    Turn 26: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)

Grew complacent on Sableye's weaker hits. Still had an item left for Squall. Oh well. Hoped for Sirocco :t323: to outspeed Sableye. Turned out to be a Quick Claw proc.

Restored Bolt's Thunderbolt PP (1/15) and Squall's Ice Beam PP (2/10). Burned through a lot between use and one Spite.

Third: Glacia and an Ice team. Could have used a Black Belt here. May actually hit Blitz's :t214: five turn limit this time. Order: Blitz :t214:, Bolt :t125:, Zephyr :t178:, Vortex :t224:, Sirocco :t323:, and Squall :t362:.

Begins feeling the level disadvantage more. Had a team of 45s with one 46. Clashes with Glacia's leading level 50 Glalie.

Turn 1: Blitz: Brick Break (95%) / Glalie: Hail
    (Hail damage to 135/143)
    Turn 2: Glalie: Full Restore (heal to full) / Blitz: Brick Break (99%)
    (Hail damage to 127/143)
    Turn 3: Blitz: Brick Break (the rest)
    (Hail damage to 119/143)
    Turn 4: Blitz: Brick Break (95%) / Sealeo: Surf (65/143)
    (Hail damage to 57/143)
    Turn 5: Blitz: Brick Break (the rest)
    (Level up. Hail down. Bug restriction active.)
    Turn 6: Blitz: Switch to Bolt / Sealeo: Blizzard (59/125)
    Turn 7: Bolt: Light Screen / Sealeo: Blizzard (miss)
    Turn 8: Bolt: Thunderbolt (95%) / Sealeo: Hail
    (Hail damage to 52/143)
    Turn 9: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)
    (Hail damage to 45/143)
    Turn 10: Bolt: Thunderbolt (45%) / Shadow Ball (5/143)
    (Fainted to Hail damage.)
    Turn 11: Zephyr: Switch to Vortex / Glalie: Shadow Ball (104/135)
    (Hail damage to 96/135. Light Screen down.)
    Turn 12: Glalie: Crunch (56/135, -1 Special Defense) / Vortex: Surf (45%)
    (Hail down.)
    Turn 13: Vortex: Switch to Sirocco / Glalie: Full Restore (heal to full)
    Turn 14: Glalie: Hail / Sirocco: Fire Blast (100%)
    (Hail damage to 119/126)
    Turn 15: Sirocco: Switch to Squall / Walrein: Surf (58/142)
    Turn 16: Walrein: Surf (0/142)
    (Switched in Blitz. Hail damage to 51/146)
    Turn 17: Blitz: Brick Break (65%) / Walrein: Blizzard (0/146)
    (Switched in Zephyr. Hail damage to 123/131. Walrein's Sitrus Berry to 50%.)
    Turn 18: Zephyr: Light Screen / Walrein: Blizzard (miss)
    (Hail down.)
    Turn 19: Zephyr: Psychic (30%) / Walrein: Sheer Cold (0/131)
    Turn 20: Walrein: Body Slam (critical, 0/131) / Vortex: Fainted
    Turn 21: Walrein: Surf (0/121) / Sirocco: Fainted

So close. Had Walrein in the red. Grumbles about that Sheer Cold. Hoped for Quick Claw to proc or for Light Screen to dull the Surf enough.

Trying again for Glacia. Needed that Black Belt and Magnet really badly, apparently. Changed up the order to Sirocco :t323:, Bolt :t125:, Blitz :t214:, Vortex :t224:, Zephyr :t178:, and Squall :t362:. Extends the time between Light Screen users. Gives Sirocco :t323: one guaranteed good matchup.

Turn 1: Sirocco: Fire Blast (100%) / Glalie: Fainted
    Turn 2: Sirocco: Switch to Bolt / Sealeo: Surf (72/125)
    Turn 3: Bolt: Light Screen / Sealeo: Hail
    (Hail damage to 65/125)
    Turn 4: Bolt: Thunderbolt (99%) / Sealeo: Body SLam (32/125)
    (Hail damage to 25/125)
    Turn 5: Sealeo: Full Restore (heal to full) / Bolt: Thunderbolt (95%)
    (Hail damage to 18/125)
    Turn 6: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)
    (Hail damage to 11/125)
    Turn 7: Bolt: Hyper Potion (heal to full) / Sealeo: Blizzard (89/125)
    (Light Screen down. Hail down.)
    Turn 8: Bolt: Thunderbolt (90%) / Sealeo: Hail
    (Hail damage to 82/125)
    Turn 9: Bolt: Thunderbolt (critical, the rest)
    (Hail daamge to 75/125)
    Turn 10: Bolt: Light Screen / Glalie: Ice Beam (46/125)
    (Hail damage to 39/125)
    Turn 11: Bolt: Switch to Blitz / Glalie: Shadow Ball (102/143)
    (Hail damage to 94/143)
    Turn 12: Blitz: Brick Break (critical, 100%)
    (Hail down.)
    Turn 13: Blitz: Brick Break (60%) / Walrein: Blizzard (47/143)
    (Walrein's Sitrus Berry to 55%)
    Turn 14: Blitz: Brick Break (the rest)
    (Level up.)

Went so much better. Lost no one that time.

Drake time. Handed the Nevermeltice to Squall :t362:. Really needs to one-shot. Saw Flamethrower in Drake's movesets. Order: Squall :t362:, Zephyr :t178:, Vortex :t224:, Sirocco :t323:, Blitz :t214:, and Bolt :t125:.

Turn 1: Squall: Ice Beam (99%) / Shelgon: Rock Tomb (90/142, -1 Speed)
    Turn 2: Shelgon: Full Restore (heal to full) / Squall: Ice Beam (100%)
    Turn 3: Squall: Switch to Zephyr / Flygon: Flamethrower (86/131)
    Turn 4: Flygon: Crunch (12/131) / Zephyr: Light Screen
    (Flying restriction active.)
    Turn 5: Zephyr: Switch to Vortex / Flygon: Dragonbreath (112/135, paralyzed)
    Turn 6: Flygon: Sand Attack / Vortex: Aurora Beam (90%)
    Turn 7: Flygon: Dragonbreath (91/135) / Vortex: Aurora Beam (the rest)
    Turn 8: Altaria: Dragon Dance / Vortex: Aurora Beam (60%)
    (Light Screen down.)
    Turn 9: Altaria: Take Down (39/135) / Vortex: Aurora Beam (miss)
    Turn 10: Vortex: Full Restore (heal to full, not paralyzed) / Altaria: Dragonbreath (93/135)
    Turn 11: Altaria: Take Down (46/135) / Vortex: Aurora Beam (the rest)
    Turn 12: Flygon: Dragonbreath (1/135, paralyzed) / Vortex: Aurora Beam (80%)
    Turn 13: Vortex: Full Restore (heal to full, not paralyzed) / Flygon: Full Restore (heal to full)
    Turn 14: Vortex: Switch to Sirocco / Flygon: Sandstorm
    Turn 15: Flygon: Dig / Sirocco: Eruption (miss)
    Turn 16: Sirocco: Switch to Blitz / Flygon: Dig (119/146)
    (Sandstorm damage to 110/146)
    Turn 17: Flygon: Fly / Blitz: Brick Break (miss)
    (Sandstorm down.)
    Turn 18: Blitz: Switch to Bolt / Flygon: Fly (106/127)
    Turn 19: Bolt: Switch to Squall / Flygon: Dig
    Turn 20: Flygon: Dig (41/142) / Squall: Ice Beam (100%)
    (Level up.)
    Turn 21: Squall: Switch to Zephyr / Salamence: Dragon Claw (miss)
    (Flying restriction active)
    Turn 22: Zephyr: Switch to Vortex / Salamence: Dragon Claw (44/135)
    Turn 23: Vortex: Hyper Potion (on Squall, heal to full) (Final item) / Salamence: Dragon Claw (0/135)
    Turn 24: Salamence: Dragon Claw (22/126) / Sirocco: Rock Slide (33%)
    Turn 25: Salamence: Crunch (0/126)
    Turn 26: Salamence: Flamethrower (0/127) / Blitz: Fainted
    Turn 27: Salamence: Dragon Claw (41/127) (Bolt's Static) / Bolt: Light Screen
    Turn 28: Bolt: Thunderbolt (40%) / Salamence: Fly
    (Salamence's Sitrus Berry to 40%)
    Turn 29: Bolt: Thunderbolt (miss) / Salamence: Paralyzed
    Turn 30: Bolt: Thunderbolt (35%) / Salamence: Fly
    Turn 31: Bolt: Thunderbolt (miss) / Salamence: Paralyzed
    Turn 32: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)

Set up to have Squall :t362: finish that. Did not foresee Bolt closing out the match. Ended with 1 Thunderbolt left.

Finally remembered the Flying restriction. Commends Zephyr :t178: on dodging a fatal blow with Lax Incense.

Had to look up if Earthquake could hit a Digging opponent with Levitate. No, for the record.

Restored Thunderbolt's PP again and also Surf on Vortex :t224:.

And last: Steven. Carries a team of levels 55-58. Compares well against Bolt :t125: at 47 and the rest at 45 and 46.

Think this through. Lead with Bolt :t125: for Skarmory. Goes to Claydol after that, so Vortex :t224:. Prepares to Giga Drain with Cradily, so then Blitz :t214:. Sees Armaldo with Aerial Ace, so pop in...Squall :t362:? Goes from there.

Order: Bolt :t125:, Vortex :t224:, Blitz :t214:, Squall :t362:, Sirocco :t323:, Zephyr :t178:.

Turn 1: Bolt: Thunderbolt (95%) / Skarmory: Spikes
    Turn 2: Skarmory: Full Restore (heal to full) / Bolt: Thunderbolt (95%)
    Turn 3: Bolt: Thunderbolt (the rest)
    Turn 4: Bolt: Switch to Vortex (Spike damage to 119/135) / Aggron: Earthquake (54/135)
    Turn 5: Aggron: Thunder (0/135)
    (Spikes damage to 128/146)
    Turn 6: Blitz: Brick Break (95%) / Aggron: Thunder (83/146)
    Turn 7: Blitz: Full Restore (heal to full, not paralyzed) / Aggron: Thunder (critical, 59/146)
    Turn 8: Blitz: Brick Break (the rest)
    Turn 9: Blitz: Switch to Squall (Spikes damage to 127/145) / Armaldo: Slash (82/145)
    Turn 10: Squall: Ice Beam (30%) / Armaldo: Ancientpower (0/145)
    (Spikes damage to 111/126)
    Turn 11: Sirocco: Switch to Zephyr / Armaldo: Water Pulse (critical, 68/131)

Uh. Shows Zephyr :t178: in the yellow, but above 50% health (51.9%). Allows it to keep rolling, then.

Turn 12: Zephyr: Reflect / Armaldo: Ancientpower (0/131)
    (Spikes damage to 112/127)
    Turn 13: Bolt: Thunderbolt (45%) / Armaldo: Ancientpower (critical, 0/127)
    (Spikes damage to 41/146)
    Turn 14: Blitz: Brick Break (the rest)
    Turn 15: Blitz: Earthquake (40%) / Metagross: Psychic (0/146)
    Turn 16: Metagross: Psychic (critical, 0/126)

...Was the 10+ level advantage not enough? 4 critical hits in 16 turns? Really?

New order: Sirocco :t323:, Vortex :t224:, Bolt :t125:, Blitz :t214:, Squall :t362:, , Zephyr :t178:.

Sidenote: Has not seen Bolt's :t125: King's Rock flinch anything yet. Much later edit: ...And for good reason, apparently. Cannot flinch with it.

Turn 1: Skarmory: Spikes / Sirocco: Eruption (critical, 100%)
    Turn 2: Aggron: Earthquake (2/126) / Sirocco: Earthquake (90%)
    Turn 3: Aggron: Full Restore (heal to full) / Sirocco: Earthquake (90%)
    Turn 4: Aggron: Earthquake (0/126)
    (Spikes damage to 119/135)
    Turn 5: Aggron: Thunder (21/135) / Vortex: Surf (the rest)
    (Level up)
    Turn 6: Cradily: Sludge Bomb (0/135)
    (Spikes damage to 112/127)
    Turn 7: Bolt: Light Screen / Cradily: Sludge Bomb (60/127)
    Turn 8: Bolt: Switch to Blitz (Spikes damage to 128/146) / Cradily: Ancientpower (83/146, +1 all stats)
    Turn 9: Blitz: Brick Break (50%) / Cradily: Ancientpower (9/146, +1 all stats)
    Turn 10: Cradily: Ancientpower (0/146)
    (Spikes damage blah blah blah)
    Turn 11: Cradily: Ancientpower (yeah, all of it)

Okay, no. Sees no point in playing out the rest. Again, were the two omniboosts really necessary?

Round 3. Fed Bolt :t125: a Rare Candy. Order: Bolt :t125:, Zephyr :t178:, Vortex :t224:, Squall :t362:, Sirocco :t323:, Blitz :t214:.

Turn 1: Bolt: Thunderbolt (95%) / Skarmory: Steel Wing (103/130)
    Turn 4: Bolt: Switch to Zephyr / Aggron: Earthquake (immune)
    Turn 5: Zephyr: Light Screen / Aggron: Thunder (76/131)
    Turn 6: Zephyr: Switch to Vortex / Aggron: Thunder (miss)
    Turn 7: Aggron: Earthquake (76/135) / Vortex: Surf (100%)
    Turn 8: Vortex: Switch to Squall / Cradily: Ancientpower (65/145)
    Turn 9: Squall: Ice Beam (48%) / Cradily: Ancientpower (0/145)
    (Light Screen down.)
    Turn 10: Sirocco: Fire Blast (critical, the rest)
    (Level up for Vortex)
    Turn 11: Metagross: Earthquake (0/126)
    Turn 12: Blitz: Earthquake (40%) / Metagross: Psychic (0/146)
    Turn 13: Bolt: Thunderbolt (35%) / Metagross: Earthquake (0/130)
    (Metagross's Sitrus Berry heal to 45%)
    Turn 14: Zephyr: Reflect / Metagross: Meteor Mash (0/131)
    Turn 15: Metagross: Psychic (0/137)

Really hoped for that Quick Claw on Aggron.

Cannot deal with that Metagross. Hits way too hard. Lacks any way to slow it down, barring a Thunderbolt paralysis or Static. Necessitates Reflect AND Light Screen up...somehow. Needed Blitz :t214: in sooner too.

Gave a Soft Sand to Blitz :t214:. (Still had a Silk Scarf. Whoops.) Order: Bolt :t125:, Zephyr :t178:, Sirocco :t323:, Blitz :t214: Vortex :t224:, Squall :t362:.

Turn 1: Bolt: Thunderbolt (95%) / Skarmory: Toxic
    (Toxic damage to 122/130)
    (Toxic damage to 106/130)
    (Toxic damage to 82/130)
    Turn 4: Bolt: Switch to Zephyr / Aggron: Earthquake (immune)
    Turn 5: Zephyr: Light Screen / Aggron: Thunder (80/131)
    Turn 6: Zephyr: Reflect / Aggron: Thunder (29/131)
    (Flying restriction active)
    Turn 7: Zephyr: Switch to Sirocco / Aggron: Thunder (immune)
    Turn 8: Aggron: Earthquake (60/126) / Sirocco: Fire Blast (60%?)
    Turn 9: Sirocco: Earthquake (the rest)
    (Light Screen down.)
    Turn 10: Metagross: Earthquake (0/126)
    (Reflect down.)
    Turn 11: Blitz: Earthquake (50%) / Metagross: Psychic (0/146)
    Turn 12: Metagross: Psychic (46/135) / Vortex: Surf (40%)
    (Metagross's Sitrus Berry to 30%)
    Turn 13: Vortex: Full Restore (full heal for Bolt) / Metagross: Meteor Mash (0/135)
    Turn 14: Squall: Switch to Bolt / Metagross: Meteor Mash (critical, 0/130)

...A critical one-shot on a not very effective Meteor Mash? Hello? Stomped any spark of hope there.

Stopped recording logs. Slowed down the process. Tried different leads. Eventually prevailed after many attempts. Would not call it a good win, by any means, given the number of attempts. Blames the game for expecting you to grind, however, not the team. Winning order: Bolt :t125:, Zephyr :t178:, Sirocco :t323:, Vortex :t224:, Blitz :t214:, Squall :t362:.

What won it? Not criticals, surprisingly, nor a Rock Tomb TM (see: Clear Body). Managed to get Sirocco :t323: in against Metagross with Reflect up and full health. Lived Metagross's Psychic. Hit Metagross with an Earthquake for decent damage. Triggered a heal from Steven. Barbequed Metagross with a salvo of Fire Blasts.

Dumped three straight Full Restores into that Metagross. Committed a fatal mistake after the third Full Restore: Hyper Beam. Took out Sirocco :t323:. Paved the way for a badly hurt Vortex :t224: to finish the job.

Was not done there, however. Faced Claydol still. Only had Zephyr :t178:, Vortex :t224:, and Blitz :t214: left with no one above half health and no items remaining. Did the heavy lifting with Vortex's :t224: Surf. Ended with Blitz :t214:, at 11 hitpoints, fainting Claydol with Brick Break, the only remaining usable attack on the team. (Locked in Brick Break :t214:, Earthquake :t214:, Light Screen :t178:, and Reflect :t178:.)

Wind of Change Hall of Fame 1.png
    Wind of Change Hall of Fame 2.png

Team
    Vortex the Octillery :t224:
    Level: 46
    Moves: Surf, Aurora Beam, Psybeam, Waterfall
    Restriction: Water

Sirocco the Camerupt :t323:
    Level: 45
    Moves: Fire Blast, Rock Slide, Eruption, Earthquake
    Restriction: Fire

Bolt the Electabuzz :t125:
    Level: 48
    Moves: Thunder Punch, Swift, Quick Attack, Light Screen
    Restriction: Electric

Blitz the Heracross :t214:
    Moves: Earthquake, Brick Break, Strength, Rock Smash
    Restriction: Bug

Zephyr the Xatu :t178:
    Level: 45
    Moves: Psychic, Fly, Reflect, Light Screen
    Restriction: Flying

Squall the Glalie :t362:
    Moves: Ice Beam, Crunch, Hail, Water Pulse
    Restriction: Ice

Time for scores.

Ratings
    Ranks likes this:
    0: Pure experience sponge
    2-3: Not really useful.
    5: Not a detriment, but not a huge help either.
    7-8: A regularly contributing party member
    10: Overcame major odds.
    (and a +/- 1 for things like restrictions and favoritism)

• Octillery: 7. A reliable Pokemon. Had some nice early range of attacks. Became a Surf machine (in battle and out) as that overtook the other options.

Knocked off 1 for its restriction. Made other Pokemon feel simpler. Forbid most buffs and devalued debuffs at the same time. (May not have had these tools regardless, admittedly.) Likens it to seeing "Auto Attack" and "Switch" as your battle options.
    • Camerupt: 9. Surprisingly decent. Punched holes in things really well (in the second half, anyways). Learned more than one worthwhile move. Expected its poor Speed and iffy bulk to let it down constantly. Beat up Groudon alone. Helped for Tate and Liza. Earned an extra point for that kind of stuff. Wants precisely these kind of experiences with neglected Pokemon.
    • Electabuzz: 9. Started good. Ended good. Found plenty of use for a fast Pokemon with decent damage against most major Pokemon. (Restored its Thunderbolt PP twice during the Elite Four. Ought to tell you something.) Occasionally tossed out a paralyze or Light Screen. Added an extra +1 for its restriction. Introduced a fun planning step. Improved the playthrough.
    • Heracross: 7. Good and effective. Lost a bit for being Brick Break: The Pokemon. Guesses a huge portion of its used moves was just Brick Break. Tossed out some Secret Powers (and late Earthquakes) when grinding, perhaps, but not often beyond that.
    • Xatu: 5. Screen bot. Did it help? Yes. Felt difficult to really leverage its support between screen duration, the Electric restriction, and the Ice restriction. See: Reflect -> Light Screen -> Switch. Knocked a lot of turns off Reflect already. Rarely needed Psychic attacks too.
    • Glalie: 3. Never had a chance to do much. Forced it out early in matches (not necessarily due to its own fault, just competent enemy teams). Lacked damage while taking too much too. Saw a lot of Water types or Pokemon with Fire, Rock, or Fighting moves.

(Total: 40)

Edit note: Considers it very difficult to have, say, a full team of 8's. Naturally favors some more than others.

Scrambler guess: Explorer of Time. Mentioned wanting to give reasonings. Decided to take some guesses on those. (Lists these for fun, regardless if that scrambler guess is correct.)

• Octillery: An early answer for Roxanne. Can be tough to survive a gym battle with two Pokemon at a type disadvantage. Picks up tons of good moves at level 22, along with an early level 25 evolution. Makes it a good early-game pick.
    • Camerupt: Covers Octillery's weaknesses. Roasts Grass. Handles any Electric types (see: Wattson later) with a well-timed Magnitude. Was not too hindered by the Fire restriction either, given Water already in effect. Swaps to a Water resistance with Octillery also.
    • Electabuzz: Not as sure about this one. Probably chose it to help with Water-types. (Did not teach Bullet Seed to Octillery when given the chance.) Learns Thunder Punch really early, making it immediately decent. Brings some speed too.
    • Heracross: A clear Norman answer. Brandishes a nasty Brick Break. Might have been competing with Machamp for the spot? Could have been chosen for the Bug restriction.
    • Xatu: Offered less guidance on this. Presumes a means to get dual screens (and/or Wish?) without getting stuck with the Psychic restriction. May have been simply aimed for a lesser-used Pokemon with new types too.
    • Glalie: Cannot decide between Phoebe counter, Drake counter, or both. Learns a strong Dark move without being Dark. Mentioned Drake being a potential problem twice.

Looked closer. No good status moves for Girafarig or Granbull. (Technically considers Charm alright, although less helpful in this game's context.) Noped out of Steelix's Ground and Steel restrictions. Considered Tyranitar too good or overused. Already has Fire, Water, and Flying types. No to Poison and Dragon. Leaves Glalie.

Last edited:
    Years
  • 5th badge update:

It's been pretty fun so far. The team is pretty good and the several restrictions give space for strategies. My zubat evolved into golbat after I have got the fourth badge and a level later it evolved into Crobat, which was really helpful. I didn't expect it at all. Today I could finally catch Butterfree, which comes with a very useful moveset, especially with the combo of poison type restriction. The fourth gym leader wasn't hard, while I had a little bit of difficulty with the fifth, even though I won second try. In general it's going pretty smooth for now.

5th_gym.png

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokémon Platinum QoL 1.6.3
    Winds of Change - Young Couple Valery & ???
    Update 2 (Ravaged Path - > Hearthome Gym)

My second update!

Noctowl has been amazing, seriously amazing. Thank you so much for picking it! It soloed both Gardenia and Fantina, the former by spamming Pluck, the latter by putting her Pokemon to sleep with Hypnosis and using Pluck and Confusion to take them down. Mine has Insomnia, which is a great ability that prevents it from falling asleep. Its attacking moves aren't the strongest yet, but with both Hypnosis and Reflect, it has a lot of utility and doesn't need strong offense. The Flying restriction is much more fun than the Ground restriction that both my other Pokemon have, and I'd be totally fine having more Pokemon with it or with other mandatory switch-out restrictions. They're a lot of fun.

Grotle was good early on, but its usefulness is rapidly fading. I do absolutely appreciate having it for the first three gyms and your selection of it was not a failure, so don't feel bad. It's a physical attacker, but it lost its last STAB physical Grass move recently, and will lose Curse when it evolves into a Torterra. While I wish I could keep it with the moveset it had around level 22-26, the Ground restriction prevents that and I don't see a use for it much longer.

In contrast to Grotle, Onix got much better now that I have the TM for Earthquake, which gives it an excellent STAB Ground move in its TM slot, and synergizes amazingly with Noctowl. Onix didn't start off great, but it's getting much better and is no longer the load it was before the first gym. While its type coverage won't be that great until the 40s, Earthquake makes it amazing at fighting anything that doesn't resist Ground and will keep it useful for quite a while.

Recommendations for new Pokemon: Because this QoL hack doesn't have a way to bypass the Surf field move, I'm going to need a Pokemon that can learn Surf either now or at the next update. This need not be a Water-type, and preferably wouldn't actually be a pure Water-type because the Water restriction would mess with my movesets and potentially make some moves I'm required to know unusable. Now that I have Earthquake for Onix, I'm fine ditching my Grotle for a new Pokemon, since with the loss of its last physical Grass move, its moveset is just going to get worse from here on out.

In general, I really like the restrictions that involve switching (or not switching) out Pokemon, like Fighting, Flying, Rock, Bug, and Electric, but I don't like the restrictions on movesets, like in Ground, Water, Ice, and Dragon. Ghost would also be hard to level if I have more than one, because this game only gives me a single Exp. Share, so probably avoid that restriction too. The others, I don't have much of a preference for one way or the other.

Team

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Wind of Change - Update #4 (7/8 gyms)

Slowly pushing through with my atrocious team. Both Forretress and Mr. Mime become more viable as they pick up better moves; Maractus is surprisingly quite powerful and Synthesis helps a lot with the Grass/Steel restrictions clash; Beedrill got more utility now that I learned infatuation also counts and Forretress picked up Toxic Spikes; Ledian exists I guess.

Note to Scrambler: Go wild

Team:
    Spoiler:

Years

brionne.gif
    raichu-alola.gif
    snorunt.gif

PART 3

Ehm... I was waiting for my new team for few days and then Loomie pointed out that I'm not at the point of getting new Pokémon. For some reason, I forgot that I don't get new Pokémon every segment, but every other segment.

So I quickly beat Lana and Kiawe's Trials. I had super-effective Pokémon, but they still gave me some troubles. I had to spam Double Team and healing to beat Araquanid:
    lAOb6tF.png

And only after beating Araquanid, I realized I could have evolve Pikachu in Raichu by getting Thunderstone from the breeding hut.

Kiawe's Trial was easier, but Totem Alolan Marowak called Salazzle, which proved to be bigger challenge than Totem Alolan Marowak itself.

In the end, I got a new look:
    2WfVAdN.png

Now I'm waiting for my team.

Team

brionne.gif

Informazioni, Relaxed Male Brionne
    lvl 24, Torrent @Waterium Z
    - Bubble Beam
    - Aqua Jet
    - Icy Wind
    - Disarming Voice

raichu-alola.gif

Comprare, Relaxed Female Raichu
    lvl 24, Static @Magnet
    - Psychic
    - Double Team
    - Quick Attack
    - Electro Ball

snorunt.gif

Fine, Sassy Female Snorunt
    lvl 24, Ice Body
    - Icy Wind
    - Bite
    - Double Team
    - Ice Fang​

Years
  • 7th gym update:

The sixth gym was harder, but in the end it went all right. The main problem was thunderbolt from the magnemites. I soon caught gyarados which was really useful even for the sixth gym. Then, I realized there was red Gyarados and so I caught it and replaced the older one. The 7th gym wasn't hard, but I wish I played a little better tbh. Anyway, yeah, it's going really smooth for now.

7th_gym.png

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Update 3 (Route 209- > Pastoria Gym)

Five badges, this time.

I seriously, seriously, can't thank my scrambler enough for the Gyarados and especially the Rotom. Both have been even better than the Noctowl and they're perfect for this stage of the game, and easily strong enough to take all the way to the Pokemon League.

I chose Fan Rotom (which is still Electric/Ghost in Platinum) as my Rotom's form, and it's very, very strong. It ended up sweeping Crasher Wake's team, 1HKOing both Gyarados and Floatzel with Shock Wave, and 2HKOing Quagsire with Ominous Wind. It also came very close to sweeping Maylene, and only failed because it missed two consecutive Air Slashes Its STAB attacks don't have very high base power yet, but its high Special Attack makes it very powerful, and I love its Ghost/Electric typing, which combines excellently with Levitate. The type restriction is very interesting, especially with two of my Pokemon also having Flying restrictions.

Gyarados is also very strong, but not quite as good as Rotom. It has very strong stats and is an excellent physical attacker, and has excellent coverage, with a Ground, Ice, Dark, and Normal move giving it perfect neutral coverage and the ability to hit eleven types super-effectively. That being said, it has a glaring 4x weakness to Electric, which my Noctowl is also weak too, but its offense more than makes up for it.

Onix is still terrible and faints if a special attacker or grass/water type looks at it wrong, but I'm getting very close to obtaining a Metal Coat and evolving it. It'll still be a one-trick-pony for quite a while though, as its level up moves are still crap and have no synergy with the rest of my team. One thing I do like about it is that all my other Pokemon are Flying-type or have Levitate, which lets Onix spam Earthquake in double battles no matter what the circumstances are. That being said, it's outclassed as an Earthquake-user by Gyarados right now.

Noctowl is pretty much the same as last time. Still good, only with Air Slash replacing Pluck to take advantage of its better Special Attack.

Advice for my scrambler: My thoughts on the type restrictions from last update still apply, and I don't have any major changes there. I absolutely love Noctowl, Gyarados, and Rotom, so if you want me to switch out another Pokemon, Onix is by far the best choice. Given that you picked Steelix when we had very few options available, and that you've exceeded my expectations with every choice past the first gym, I completely trust you to pick a Pokemon I'll have more fun with.

Team

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Returning from the abyss of hardcore slacking, my suspicions of my shuffler being a psychic only grows. I foresee many fainting Audinos in my near future. At the very least, we get more Colress time, and I can't complain with that.

Current Restictions: Steel - No items in battle from the bag. Starting to become more threatening of a restriction due to harder battles, but otherwise is fairly harmless compared to some other restrictions.
    Electric - When switching out in battle, I must choose the next Pokemon in the list in order. Like Steel, not totally soul crushing, but does create complications, especially as our team grows larger
    Fire - No non-Fire status moves, which means only Sunny Day and Will-o-Wisp are allowed, as those are the only Fire type status moves in the game. Pretty sure this mon learns neither by level up, so this is just "no setup moves."
    Ground - This Pokemon's moveset behaves similar to a wild Pokemon, with it's oldest move being replaced by it's newest one. One TM/HM, tutor move, or Move Relearner move must be on at a time and isn't affected by this rule. This one is...odd, because the Pokemon in question learns Dig and Earthquake by level up, both of which are also TMs. I'm assuming I can swap out my "safe from deletion" move as long as it matches the criteria (like Dig/Earthquake).

Now, before we continue with our adventure, we must send someone away. Segments, you are the weakest link, and therefore will be removed from the squad. You carried us through the earlygame, but I'm sorry, your restriction kinda sucks and makes you worse than even a Slaking. At least Slaking has the giant Attack stat to make up for Traunt, while Segments has...Rollout, I guess. Sure, Elesa might be a bit harder since I currently have no good Emolga checks, but the shuffler has made his or her judgement. I don't make the rules, I just follow them. So, goodbye Segments. You have served us well.

Anyway, now that we've completely sidelined Segments, let's spend some quality time with Colress. Truly a magnificent man, am I right or am I right? Anyway, he wants to meet us on Route 4, which is lucky, because I got some business in Route 4. Since Segments is gone, we need to replace her, and I need to get a fourth Pokemon. Luckily, Route 4 will provide all that I need, a Darumaka and a Sandile. After getting them, it's time to make the prediction of many fainted Audinos a reality in order to level them up so they're up to speed. With that done, and all the trainers except the breeder (I fought her once) out of the way, it's time for some quality experimenting with Colress...and a battle. N gets foreshadowed and now it's off to Desert Resort to collect items and blast trainers to oblivion.

During my sweep of all the trainers, my hatred for Hustle has reignited. Literally, I honestly think I'd be better off with Klutz or another useless ability over Hustle, especially since Darumaka has next to no defenses so it gets taken out in 2 hits by just about anything. I know the defenses problem isn't going to get any better any time soon, but at least once it evolves, it'll just punch everything so hard defense won't mean anything. However, Level 35 is still a long ways away, and I likely won't get it until around Skyla if I'm lucky. Anyway, the team has been leveled up, got some extra Potions that I can't use in battle, so now it's time for the "not the gym" gym, because Elesa's not at the real gym yet.

Anyway, speaking of Elesa's gym, I like the new gym. I sure like it more than Clay's, but we'll get to that. It's literally just a runway with battles. No puzzles, no frills, just go forward and blow up Electric types. Nice and simple, the way I like it on occasion. Since Shades can use Dig against anything not named Emolga, he'll be the star of our show. While Shades cleaned up the trainers with ease, I came in expecting Elesa to be a bit harder to handle because my team is underleveled, but...it was easier than I thought, mostly because of critical hits. Anubis led against Emolga because I taught her Rock Tomb, but Emolga just Volt Switched out of there for Zebstrika, who got a taste of Rock Tomb and a Speed drop. After that, it stood no chance. One Force Palm, then a crit Force Palm later and it was gone. Shades did what he did best and took out Flaaffy, only to get paralyzed in the process, and because of the Electric restriction, I had to use Shofu to beat Emolga. Yeah, it got crit and one shot, but Static happened too because of course it did. Overall, a very easy battle. Clay, on the other hand, likely won't be so free. After all, almost this whole team is weak to Ground and Amphy is borderline worthless in Clay's gym.

With our badge and Volt Switch TM in hand, it's off to fight grunts and hear Hugh's tragic backstory about his sister's Purrloin. He also made the grunts feel his rage, which I think is the first time he uses that line. Anyway, with that out of the way, the one thing standing between me and Driftveil City is a heartbreaker, and his name's Charles. His team, however, wasn't much match for my team. On the way, I caught a Ducklett as a user of Fly and potentially Surf if I don't get a Surf user later because I don't actually remember if Surf is required in this game. At this stage, I'm going to assume it is, because it usually is. After arriving in town, I bare witness to some Plasma on Plasma violence...well, one sided violence. Before we can go to Clay, we need to...handle this Team Plasma case.

Rood wasn't much of a threat and Amphy evolved in the deal, and Hugh's still being Hugh. I have no reason to take the Zorua, so I didn't. Anyway, it's time for fun with Clay's gym. Oh boy. So I lost against Clay on the first attempt. Leading with Anubis was a bad idea because of Intimidate, and because almost my whole team is weak to Ground, while Shades took out the Krokorok after Anubis went down, I got swept by Sandslash, partly because Amphy gets hard walled by Ground types. Attempt 2 went slightly better. I changed leads to Shades for a Krokorok ditto, but he got a Defense drop with Crunch and that pretty much paved the way for Sandslash to come in and sweep my entire team on it's own again. Held items are clearly the key to winning this one.

Attempt 3 was better. I tried to deal with Krokorok with Ground Gem Dig, but Intimidate makes that...hardly an option. Even with that, I don't one shot it. He was a bit more harmless, but still did a decent hit. Sandslash, however, continues to prove to be my bane as once again the stars align for this thing to win. The new plan was to sac Shofu and Amphy to get Shades back in to Intimidate and then Mud-Slap, but luck is not on my side. Sandslash is still strong even at -1, and then it crit Anubis with Bulldoze. Back to the drawing board.

The fourth attempt went back to a strategy I used in the second attempt, and that was give Leftovers to Shades and screw with Krokorok's accuracy with Mud-Slap and use Dig for the big damage. With Krokorok down, I did what I did in attempt 3, which was sac Shofu to get Amphy in. Unlike my previous tries, I put Return on Amphy instead of Volt Switch so I don't get walled and had a Quick Claw for the chance of going first. 2 turns of confusion and surprisingly no Bulldoze this time and Amphy was able to bring down Sandslash. Last was big boy Excadrill, who outspeeds my whole team. For some reason, he never used Bulldoze, but he did land almost all his attacks even after a Mud-Slap and took out Shades. Anubis managed to come in and finish the job, and after 4 tries, we finally beat Clay.

If Clay was this bad, I don't want to imagine how the next gyms will go.

The Squad
    lucario.gif

Anubis (Lucario) Lv. 31
    Moves: Return, Bone Rush, Force Palm, Rock Tomb

ampharos.gif

Amphy (Ampharos) Lv. 30
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Static
    Moves: Confuse Ray, Electro Ball, Thunder Wave, Return (might put Volt Switch back on)

darumaka.gif

Shofu (Darumaka) Lv. 30
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Hustle
    Moves: Fire Punch, Facade, Fire Fang, Thrash

krokorok.gif

Shades (Krokorok) Lv. 31
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Intimidate
    Moves: Mud-Slap, Embargo, Crunch, Dig

Press F for Mud-Slap soon. Items are also still being passed around as needed.​

Current Thoughts: We are very weak to Ground, and Clay took full advantage of that. We're also very lacking in special attackers, with the only one I have being very slow. Shades made himself at home very soon after he got raised up and alongside Anubis, they're keeping this ship afloat. Shofu on the other hand, because of Hustle, is more a determent than a help because of that looming chance of missing and dying always hanging over like a knife suspended by a single wire. No strong thoughts about Amphy other than "he's slow, but we can deal with it." We get Surf soonish, so getting Thunderbolt will be in the cards, but that Ground weakness is still a big concern. We're also very quickly entering the realm of "big plot time" so big battles will be a lot more commonplace coming up, but barring the Ground problem, the team should (in theory) be able to survive Kyurem White and Ghetsis just fine...

In theory.

Years
  • Wind of Change - Final Update

I'm finally done with this nightmare. This is the big story segment of W2 which means many miniboss and boss battles aka praying to RNGesus that my team doesn't get wiped every battle. Most of those battles required at least a few attempts and careful planning but also some luck in the form of getting a Bright Powder proc or somehow hitting through confusion (I swear Cryogonal's Confuse Ray is impossible to hit through, I've never been wiped by a Cryogonal until now, many times too).

Overall it was a fine run with a roller coaster of emotions. I stopped enjoying it by the end when even trainer battles forced me to run back to a healing point every time with occasional whiteouts if a trainer had access to a fire type move. I'm happy it's over.

Scrambler guess: Blissy of Janp, but probably the latter. The initial pick threw me off but a curated harder experience that I got by the end is what I could expect from him

Hall of Fame:
    Spoiler:

Team and thoughts:
    Spoiler:

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    Update 4 (Valor Lakefront - > Snowpoint Gym)

Seven Badges, this time!

I got some better non-STAB moves for Noctowl, switching out its moveset for a more special-attacker oriented set, teaching it Hyper Beam and a couple decent non-STAB Special moves. It's the weakest link in my team, but even then it's still quite good.

Gyarados learned Surf for HM stuff. I probably should've taught it Aqua Tail and caught a Pelipper for HMs up until now, but it's not that big of a difference because its still very strong anyway. It's still great and I want to keep it.

Rotom got almost a completely new moveset, along with a new Heat form. Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball are much better STAB moves than Shock Wave and Ominous Wind, and Overheat gives it a much-needed counter to Steel types and a "last resort" move. It's still my absolute favorite.

For Drifblim, I got really lucky with its Hidden Power, and got Fire with a base power of 64. It also has Air Cutter, Shadow Ball, and Thunderbolt. If you're thinking it looks a lot like Rotom, you're right! Normally, I don't like having Pokemon fill the same niche to quite this extent, but with Rotom's Electric restriction, I can have a second Pokemon with mostly the same moveset at different ends of the party to ensure that one of the two is always quickly accessible.

Finally, I got Gallade. The Fighting restriction is very interesting, and fun, to combine with the Electric restriction. Gallade is an excellent physical sweeper, and has my only Grass and Fighting moves, and has Swords Dance to boost its attack even further if I get the chance. It is very fragile, especially since I can't heal it with anything other than its held item, which means I don't get to set up Swords Dance often. Its moveset and restriction work utterly perfectly in this challenge.

Bosses: Gallade swept Byron with Brick Break, but Candice was tougher. Gallade 1HKOed Sneasel with Brick Break, then hit Froslass with a Psycho Cut before fainting. Drifblim was sent out next, was hit by a Blizzard, but barely survived and hit back with a Shadow Ball, fainting it. I healed with a Hyper Potion, while Candice sent out Abomasnow and inexplicably used Wood Hammer, anticipating a switch-in that never came. I had Drifblim use Hidden Power (Fire) to nearly KO Abomasnow, but it barely suvived and retaliated with Avalanche. However, Drifblim's Aftermath KOed Abomasnow. Finally, I sent out Gyarados against Piloswine and used Surf twice to win the next badge.

Saturn and Mars were also both harder than expected. Mars managed to get FIVE consecutive flinches with her Golbat's Bite.

Advice for Scrambler: In the Discord thread, Devalue mentioned possibly putting Giratina in a party as a last resort Pokemon, under the Ghost restriction. Whether you're Devalue or not, please don't do that. I don't mind weaker legendaries like one of the Lake Trio, but Giratina's just too strong of a Pokemon and would overshadow the rest of my team. As before, the same restriction preferences in my second update still apply.

I only have a week to train up a replacement team member, so I'd like to keep my whole team, unless the newest Pokemon can already be caught at a high level. If you decide otherwise, pick Noctowl. The others are just so amazingly good and you did a perfect job picking them all.

Team

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Back