• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] ðŸŒ³ Paradise: The Nature Club

How would you like the Nature Club to operate?

• Include all natural life in one club (so incorporate wild animals into this thread)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Keep this club for plants/insects and make a separate club for all other wild animals

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Separate animals and plants entirely into different clubs (with entomology transferred to a "wildlif

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AMP017

Trans Sylveon Enjoyer
Years
  • :) then I will talk about the time I caught a green anole and named her leslie! I caught her on my house and we put her in a old aquarium with some sticks, leaves, moss and small plants. I fed her bugs every day and misted the plants. That is the story of leslie before we released her a week later.

Years
  • It's summer on my side of the world. Among the things that I really look forward to this time of year are all the roses coming into bloom! I stroll the garden cutting vases full of them, and arrange them indoors to have something special for the senses. The smell, the look, roses are just... wow! They really brighten up my mood, which is no exaggeration, as there is data to indicate that there are compounds in roses that can relieve stress.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health...ls/health-benefits-of-rose-essential-oil.html

Oil from roses not only makes one of the best perfumes ever, but it is antibacterial, and is used to reduce inflammation, infection, skin blemishes, detox the blood of impurities, help minor wounds heal, soothe pain, relieve muscle spasms and treat some skin diseases.

Because of the health benefits I use roses from my garden to make fresh rose water, it's a wonderful beauty product from our natural world. The petals have iron and potassium in them and high cincentrations of vitamins A, B, E C and K. This antioxidant-rich goodness is so good for the skin. It gives your face that warm, "rosy" glow, and makes the skin soft and clear. I really look forward to washing my face with home made rose water as the days get hotter. It's so refreshing, and cooling. I also love rinsing my hair with it, feels so soft and clean.

This stuff is also super easy to make, and I thought I'd recommend it to the Nature Club if you have access to roses. All you need are roses, water and a stove. They must be natural roses though, and free of pesticides or chemicals because you don't want something that would be harmful to your body, so avoid store bought roses, unless they are organic.

I gather freshly fallen petals from roses growing in my backyard, and store them in a container or bowl. Sometimes I also take the petals off of roses that I cut and displayed once they are a couple of day old and it's about time to change the arrangement. I personally like to use roses that have not quite withered or browned, and still have moisture in them, but I hear that dried rose petals work fine too.

🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

I actually made a batch of rose water last week after deadheading the bushes.
    The petals I used were mostly from the big white climbing roses over the arbor, called White Dawn, and these dark pink ones around the garden gate-- my mom says they are Laguna roses. However, all roses work. That's just what I had the most of and put to use. I find it interesting to make rose water from different varieties of roses because the color and scent they give will subtly vary as well.

I rinse water over my roses petals in a bowl to make sure they are clean, free of any debris, and double check that no insect has travelled along in the flowers with you that needs to be returned to the outdoors.

I drain the water, and transfer the freshly washed petals over to a sauce pan. I crush and tear the rose petals to release the juices inside better, fill the pan with fresh/ distilled/ filtered water. How much water you need will depend on how many petals you put in, but as a general rule you want enough water to cover the petals.

Put a lid on the pan or cover it with a bowl/plate so that you're not let the vapors escape into the air, and getting all the compounds and moisture that you can.
    Turn up the temperature of the stove so that the water boils, and then cooks on a low simmer. Once the color drains from the rose petals and water itself turns a rich dark color, you'll know it's ready, usually 30 minutes is plenty of time on my oven.

Turn off your stove, and let the rose water cool down, then once it's no longer hot and steaming filter out the wet petals. If you have a colander then that is ideal. Put a bowl or another pot underneath the colander, and pour all the contents of your sauce pan into the colander, which will catch the petals as the water itself flows freely into the bowl beneath it. I recommend doing this over the kitchen sink to avoid spillage.

If you don't have a colander you can separate the petals from the water in other ways like with a tea ball, a strainer, I know people use cheese cloth and sorts of things. I have even done it with just a fork or spoon, though it takes a little more time this way.

Then find a vessel for your strained rose water, and store in the refrigerator. The cold will preserve it for longer. Rose water can spoil in a couple of days at room temperature, especially where I live in the hot south, but properly sealed in a cool temperature it can last weeks or even months, especially if you add a preservative like witch hazel or vitamin E extract. I Iike adding sweet almond oil to my rose water, because it naturally contains a lot of vitamin E, and it's also a very good, gentle oil for the skin, also full of antioxidants, copper and I think pairs well with the rose water, and sweet almond oil (as well as jojoba) are often carrier oils for rose you can often find rose-blended essential oil with sweet almond on stores to add to the rose water, and give you even more of the rose's properties and enhance the sweet scent.

There are lots of objects you can store your rose water in like a glass jar or a spray bottle. I usually just go with a plastic container that can be frozen because I like having rose water saved in freezer in storage that I can use it in times where there roses.

If you keep a compost pile then consider contributing the strained petals back to the earth :)

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Some new moths!

Forest Tent Caterpillar Moth
    Spoiler:

Scalloped Sack-Bearer
    Spoiler:

Carmine Snout
    Spoiler:

The Neighbor Moth
    Spoiler:

EDIT: And one more I'd been wanting. Not the flashiest moth, but I'm excited for it since it's the adult of my favorite caterpillar. :D

Mini Bagworm Moth
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • A butterfly passed my way yesterday evening. I was glad to see this little one, and was wondering what species it might be. Just looking at different photographs of butterflies in the range of the Blueridge Parkway I thought it resembled images of an Aphrodite Fritallary or Great Spangled Fritallary. I am not knowledgeable about entomology though, so I would like to get some other opinions.

Who is this sweet creature?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I captured what I believe to be a male yellow-jacket in my bathroom. Poor little guy, you could see him struggle. So I scooped him up and brought him to the window where he eventually wandered off.

My Cyclosa conica is doing well! But I believe I'm going to let her go because they are huge web weavers. Even though I feed regularly... I don't think Rosetta (her name) is happy in a small box. It's just not big enough for the monstrous web she wants to weave.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • A butterfly passed my way yesterday evening. I was glad to see this little one, and was wondering what species it might be. Just looking at different photographs of butterflies in the range of the Blueridge Parkway I thought it resembled images of an Aphrodite Fritallary or Great Spangled Fritallary. I am not knowledgeable about entomology though, so I would like to get some other opinions.

Who is this sweet creature?
    Aphrodite Fritillary, probably. This spot usually isn't as bold on the Great Spangled:

Attachments

• 🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club
      062521.jpg
      29.9 KB · Views: 5
    Years
  • I feel honored to know that I met a little Aphrodite then! I knew I took my butterfly photo to the right place, Icy would have a good observation.

I don't know if I have mentioned it before, but I live in an area known as the Piedmont. The name Piedmont comes from the Italian word Piemonte, "foothill", which was derived from Latin "pedemontium", meaning literally "the foot of the mountains." More specifically I am Carolina girl from the Piedmont Triad, that is, the trinity, three cities by the mountain's feet.

You might guess that I am from a place that is near to some mountains. About 500 miles of parkway runs through my humble state of North Carolina into Virginia, that would be the Blueridge Parkway. This weekend my dad wanted to overlook the Blueridge Mountains from the parkway. So we took a drive. It wouldn't be right of me not to share a snapshot or two from the view at the top.

I snagged these from my cellphone at the Bluff Mount look out.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • That scenery is gorgeous!

- - -

Got my first mantidfly last night!

Mantidflies resemble tiny praying mantises—to which they're unrelated. Their larvae feed on spider eggs.

I also had a visit from my favorite insect, the Rosy Maple Moth, again a few nights ago and got this really cute shot:
    Spoiler:

A few more things:

Two-Marked Treehopper nymph
    Spoiler:

White-Patched Kearfottia, a very tiny type of bagworm moth
    Spoiler:

Wild Turkey hen and poult
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • How's the weather been lately?

As much as nature is cherished in this club, Mother Nature can also be fierce. So I just want to say that I hope that you all are doing well, and in a safe and comfortable environment. Sending my love to you.

Things are relatively calm where I live at present. It was a gray, rainy day yesterday, and will continue to rain today and all this week, but we count ourselves fortunate. My loved ones and I are not currently experiencing what some of my fellow human beings are in areas that are higher risk with Tropical Storm Elsa. It's been relatively moderate weather so far for us, without power outages or flooding, though there have been some flood warnings.

How is the state of things where you live? I have been reading about not only the recent storms, but the drought in the southwest and the earthquake in California, and I thought a wellness check was in order with my brothers and sisters here on the forum.

Are you okay guys?

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • We had a couple minor floods here recently. Hardly even compared to the flood back in March.

Got a new moth, which I'm assuming is thanks to Dad accidentally creating a "pond" in our yard last year.

Pondside Crambid Moth
    Spoiler:

Also noticed the American Bellflower for the first time. Unlike other bellflowers, the flowers of this species are flat.
    Spoiler:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • New dragonflies two days in a row! A Cobra Clubtail and Spangled Skimmer.
    Spoiler:

Also, though I've seen them before, I spent a while observing this bagworm because I think they're neat.
    Spoiler:

This native species—the Evergreen Bagworm—is widely considered a pest, but it generally doesn't pose a problem in forested areas with plenty of deciduous trees and natural predators.

EDIT: And a Green Heron! Not the greatest pic (as is usual with me and birds), but it beats the one I tried taking a month or so ago when the humidity was making it nearly impossible to take photos.
    Spoiler:

EDIT 2: And a better pic of a Blinded Sphinx.
    Spoiler:

EDIT 3: And a Dimorphic Macalla caterpillar! Completely blocked out what kind of plant it was on because I was so focused on the caterpiller. Good thing I've never been prone to breaking out from poison ivy!
    Spoiler:

Fun fact: The adult Dimorphic Macalla isn't actually dimorphic, the green just fades over time which makes it seem like there are different color forms.

EDIT 4: While taking my final walk for the day, I looked down to check my step count and found that a Mottled Tortoise Beetle had hitched a ride on my Pokéwalker. Quite attractive with those metallic gold spots!
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Spotted my first Hickory Horned Devil today! Unfortunately not the huge, dragon-like later instar (I'm still desperately wanting to find one, as well as the equally impressive adult), but this first instar was still neat to see. I like the knobs at the tip of its spines. :)

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Hello everyone, I have some news! First I'd like to thank you all for keeping this place active and earning us Club of the Month yet again! <3 To celebrate, I've introduced a new feature to the club, which wouldn't be possible without icycatelf and his willingness to share this great idea!

Introducing the International RealDex!

With this new feature, all members can help complete the RealDex by photographing the real-world inspiration of every Pokémon!

Icy has already photographed many "Pokémon" for his original RealDex thread (found here), which sets a fantastic example for what to look out for! Using photos from the internet would make this easy, so it's important that you photograph any specimens yourself and submit them to this club for them to be added. Any photos you already have are fine, and feel free to add new ideas if the Pokémon was already discovered!

This is a group effort, since members from around the world will have something unique to contribute! I hope you have fun!

You can find the RealDex beneath the opening post of the club, or by clicking this link!

Spoiler: pings
    ZeoStar said:
    Caite-chan said:
    VisionofMilotic said:
    icycatelf said:
    Eleanor said:
    Dave "Ghost" Hawk said:
    Figure said:
    Pok3pals said:
    Dawn said:
    Morika said:
    spottedfirestar said:
    ElBurrito said:
    Ash Ketchup said:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Glad to see the RealDex up! I'm going to have to revise a few of my entries at some point though. Looking forward to others' contributions!

Years
  • I love the national dex idea!!! I recently saw what i think was an unfezant perch on the roof.

It looks to me like the female variety because it's pretty sedate. It flew away quickly, but I don't see the pink plume or any green in the feathers, so I am fairly certain it's a girl.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I went catch and release fishing at around 6:00 AM this morning.

Here was the skyline

A bunch of geese

The white blob in the water is a jellyfish

The water

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Spotted my first green mushroom—a parrot toadstool—yesterday. Could it have a connection to Breloom?

More recent photos:

Oil Beetle
    Spoiler:

Nason's Slug Caterpillar
    Spoiler:

Glowworm
    Spoiler:

Tobacco Hornworm
    Spoiler:

Common Eastern Physocephala
    Spoiler: