• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] 🌳 Paradise: The Nature Club

How would you like the Nature Club to operate?

• Include all natural life in one club (so incorporate wild animals into this thread)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Keep this club for plants/insects and make a separate club for all other wild animals

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Separate animals and plants entirely into different clubs (with entomology transferred to a "wildlif

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
Such stunning photos! Among my favorites are the Asiatic dayflower, the six spotted tiger beetle, the deptford pink, jewel weed and the bursting heart. There's not only much eye candy here, but it's been fascinating to read about the plant medicinal uses as well.

i thought I'd share my excitement that a new species of frog has recently been confirmed in the Amazons. It looks like the chocolate frogs that come with the collectible cards from the Harry Potter universe.

Our real-life frogs have this delightful smooth, candy brown coloration, and their appearance has been compared to a tapir too. They are supposed to be very tiny, like the size of a coin. Do not eat them though, they're not chocolate, they animals to celebrate and preserve.

They are a burrowing frog, and because they are so little and stay underground it took scientists awhile to discover their existence, but always suspected that they were around somewhere because of this faint, unique beep sound, that was really their croak. Their ribbit was never far away. You can read about our new frog friends here.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/new-species-of-chocolate-frog-found-by-unique-beep-sound/

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Hey lovely beautiful nature people! Figured I'd should join up! Got a garden and such after all.

Name:
CiCi

The grass or bug-type Pokémon that represents you:
Cacturne -- a little unapproachable, maybe a little edgy.

The plant you will raise:
I've always wanted to grow my own dwarf lemon tree. We're building greenhouses this year so maybe I can finally grow a beautiful tree (without worrying about a cat getting to it inside). So I'll take a lemon tree!

Your favourite bugs/insects/arthropods:
My all-time favorite insect is the mantis. Orchids are my favorite mantises, but I love all of those alien-looking creepy buddies. A very close second is jumping spiders. I like spiders, but the only one I want near me is the jumping spider. They're soooooo cute!

I've also got a cute lil guy to show you guys! Bit of backstory: he was in my lettuce which I wrap in a damp towel and keep in the fridge to ensure it stays crisp and fresh. Green leaf lettuce. He was in there for a week when I snapped the leaf off to feed my reptiles, and plopped onto my counter. I thought he was dead but I was busy so I didn't toss him out then. But I saw him later, alive. I can appreciate tenacity, so I put the lil guy in a small bowl with a leaf of spinach. Gave him a small spritz of water, too. He got better, and by the end of the day, I set him free since he kept trying to escape the bowl. Still couldn't fly, but I didn't want the cats to get him.

Here's a pic my husband got:
Spoiler:

Does anyone know what this is? He was REALLY small, maybe 6 mm. Streamline all the way down his body, even though the picture makes it look like he had a thick abdomen. You can hardly see them, but he has two wings. Never used them in here, not sure why but it kept him safer, I guess. Hope he's doing okay outside.

Years
Spring's approaching and the weather seems to be getting nicer. I've already seen some insects out and about (nothing new) and briefly spotted what I believe were a couple of white-breasted nuthatches before they took off. Looking forward to being able to get new photos!

In the meantime, here are some more older photos. This batch includes: an Asiatic dayflower, a calligraphic beetle, a cloudless sulphur butterfly, an emerald ash borer, a little wood satyr butterfly, a long-horned caddisfly, a peeling puffball, a red salamander, a tiger bee fly, and a "wood ear" jelly fungus.

An Asiatic dayflower only blooms for a day. Though considered a weed here, this plant is native to eastern Asia where it's long been used in medicines and dyes. The Asiatic dayflower was used to create the blue pigment in many famous Ukiyo-e woodcuts.

While pretty, the emerald ash borer is one of the most destructive invasive species of our time. A real life Ultra Beast! While this jewel beetle doesn't pose a problem in its native Asian habitats where trees have developed a resistance to the insect, it has killed many a ash trees in Europe and America.

The tiger bee fly, like other bee flies, mimics and parasitizes on bees. This species specializes in carpenter bees.

These pictures are phenomenal! As someone who adores butterflies, I can acknowledge how difficult it is to snap a picture before they manager to flutter away! Thus, I applaud you for your ability to capture these insects at such a proximity!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
i thought I'd share my excitement that a new species of frog has recently been confirmed in the Amazons. It looks like the chocolate frogs that come with the collectible cards from the Harry Potter universe.
Its skin reminds me more of a salamander than any frog I've ever soon. :o

Does anyone know what this is? He was REALLY small, maybe 6 mm. Streamline all the way down his body, even though the picture makes it look like he had a thick abdomen. You can hardly see them, but he has two wings. Never used them in here, not sure why but it kept him safer, I guess. Hope he's doing okay outside.
Some kind of rhopalid (scentless plant bug), possibly the hyaline grass bug.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/13887/bgimage

These pictures are phenomenal! As someone who adores butterflies, I can acknowledge how difficult it is to snap a picture before they manager to flutter away! Thus, I applaud you for your ability to capture these insects at such a proximity!
Thanks! That little wood satyr was particularly cooperative. It even let me hold it. <3

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Been a while since I've shared any moths, so here as some that hadn't made it into the thread yet: The Asteroid, Chosen Sallow, Deep-Yellow Euchlaena, Eyed Baileyea, The Gem, Horned Spanworm Moth, Maple Looper, Promiscuous Angle Moth, Thin-Winged Owlet, and Variable Tropic Moth

Attachments

• asteroid.jpg
    asteroid.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 3
  • chosen_sallow.jpg
    chosen_sallow.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 3
  • deepyellow_euchlaena.jpg
    deepyellow_euchlaena.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 3
  • eyed_baileya.jpg
    eyed_baileya.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 3
  • gem.jpg
    gem.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3
  • horned_spanworm_moth.jpg
    horned_spanworm_moth.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 3
  • maple_looper.jpg
    maple_looper.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 3
  • promiscuous_angle.jpg
    promiscuous_angle.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3
  • thinwinged_owlet.jpg
    thinwinged_owlet.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
  • variable_tropic.jpg
    variable_tropic.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 2

icycatelf

Alex
Years
More moths!

Bog Lygropia, Common Sprangueia, Dinumma deponens (love those blue highlights!), False Underwing, Greater or Lesser Grapevine Looper, Immaculate Holomelina, Obtuse Yellow, Red-Streaked Mompha, Three-Lined Flower Moth, and White Spring Moth

"Looper" is another name for an inchworm, but the adult Greater/Lesser Grapevine Looper can also "loop" its abdomen over its head!

Attachments

• common_sprangueia.jpg
    common_sprangueia.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1
  • grapevine_looper.jpg
    grapevine_looper.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
  • false_underwing.jpg
    false_underwing.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1
  • dinumma_deponens.jpg
    dinumma_deponens.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1
  • bog_lygropia.jpg
    bog_lygropia.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1
  • immaculate_holomelina.jpg
    immaculate_holomelina.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1
  • obtuse_yellow.jpg
    obtuse_yellow.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
  • redstreaked_mompha.jpg
    redstreaked_mompha.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1
  • threelined_flower_moth.jpg
    threelined_flower_moth.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1
  • white_spring_moth.jpg
    white_spring_moth.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Next to moths, salamanders are some of my favorite things to find. Found a new one this past week: the Spotted Salamander!

cTsZCzS.jpg

Have some more past photos as well: an avocado weevil, brown thrasher, devil's urn, eastern pondhawk (female), jumping bristletail, locust borer, pelecinid wasp, rainbow darkling beetle, speckled sharpshooter, and yellow garden spider

Attachments

• avovado_weevil.jpg
    avovado_weevil.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1
  • jumping_bristletail.jpg
    jumping_bristletail.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
  • eastern_pondhawk.jpg
    eastern_pondhawk.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
  • brown_thrasher.jpg
    brown_thrasher.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1
  • devils_urn.jpg
    devils_urn.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • locust_borer.jpg
    locust_borer.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
  • pelecinid_wasp.jpg
    pelecinid_wasp.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1
  • rainbow_darkling_beetle.jpg
    rainbow_darkling_beetle.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • speckled_sharpshooter.jpg
    speckled_sharpshooter.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 0
  • yellow_garden_spider.jpg
    yellow_garden_spider.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
Years
I found out about a whale sanctuary project set to complete next year. It will be the first habitat for rescued belugas and orcas in North America. The center for visitors and operations got off the ground to a lovely start last fall in Nova Scotia. The sanctuary is a bay open to the North Atlantic Ocean near Port Hilford, the size of four hundred football fields. The bay is supposed to be well protected from rough weather, and the natural currents and tides wash away buildup of the waste from the whales.

It's good that these, intelligent majestic and beautiful animals can start new lives in surroundings that are natural to them, and are no longer confined to fish tanks or used in entertainment. At the same time they are also in a space where they are not threatened by predators and poachers. Good job on Canada also for passing the laws to end captivity of whales and dolphins.

https://whalesanctuaryproject.org/

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Starting to see some more moths, including The Scribbler and a the day-flying Grapevine Epimenis. Nothing new so far, but here's another batch of some of my older photos:

Brown Panopoda, Curve-Lined Argyria, Doubleday's Notocelia, Fragile Dagger, Halysidota sp. (Sycamore Tussock Moths and Banded Tussock Moths are identical as adults), Lettered Sphinx, Packard's Lichen Moth, Thin-Lined Owlet, Trumpet Vine Moth, and Yellow-Fringed Dolichomia

Attachments

• doubledays_notocelia.jpg
    doubledays_notocelia.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
  • halysidota.jpg
    halysidota.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1
  • fragile_dagger.jpg
    fragile_dagger.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1
  • curvelined_argyria.jpg
    curvelined_argyria.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • brown_panopoda.jpg
    brown_panopoda.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
  • lettered_sphinx.jpg
    lettered_sphinx.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1
  • packards_lichen_moth.jpg
    packards_lichen_moth.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • thinlined_owlet.jpg
    thinlined_owlet.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1
  • trumpet_vine_moth.jpg
    trumpet_vine_moth.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1
  • yellowfringed_dolichomia.jpg
    yellowfringed_dolichomia.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1

icycatelf

Alex
Years
More past photos: an American painted lady, charcoal bee fly, eastern band-winged hoverfly, great blue heron, Helvella solitaria (an elfin saddle mushroom), marbled orbweaver, Orgichneumon calcatorius (an ichneumon wasp), pustulated carrion beetle, spring salamander, and a Virginia metallic tiger beetle

The pustulated carrion beetle's larvae feed on snake eggs!

Attachments

• helvella_solitaria.jpg
    helvella_solitaria.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1
  • great_blue_heron.jpg
    great_blue_heron.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1
  • charcoal_bee_fly.jpg
    charcoal_bee_fly.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
  • american_painted_lady.jpg
    american_painted_lady.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
  • eastern_bandwinged_hoverfly.jpg
    eastern_bandwinged_hoverfly.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1
  • marbled_orbweaver.jpg
    marbled_orbweaver.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1
  • orgichneumon_calcatorius.jpg
    orgichneumon_calcatorius.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1
  • pustulated_carrion_beetle.jpg
    pustulated_carrion_beetle.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 1
  • spring_salamander.jpg
    spring_salamander.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1
  • virginia_metallic_tiger_beetle.jpg
    virginia_metallic_tiger_beetle.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
MOAR MOTHS!

Baltimore snout, bicolored pyrausta (its "nose" reminds me of Mothim), brown-shaded grey, eastern tent caterpillar moth, Hawaiian beet webworm moth, large lace-border, orange-patched smoky moth, pink-patched looper, southern tussock moth (I love its subtle rainbowy hues), and yellow slant-line

Attachments

• baltimore_snout.jpg
    baltimore_snout.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2
  • bicolored_pyrausta.jpg
    bicolored_pyrausta.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 4
  • brownshaded_gray.jpg
    brownshaded_gray.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2
  • eastern_tent_caterpillar_moth.jpg
    eastern_tent_caterpillar_moth.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 2
  • hawaiian_beet_webworm_moth.jpg
    hawaiian_beet_webworm_moth.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3
  • large_laceborder.jpg
    large_laceborder.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2
  • yellow_slantline.jpg
    yellow_slantline.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2
  • southern_tussock_moth.jpg
    southern_tussock_moth.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2
  • pinkpatched_looper.jpg
    pinkpatched_looper.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 3
  • orangepatched_smoky.jpg
    orangepatched_smoky.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2
Years
Happy Earth day folks!

I wanted to share some environmental conservation news here. I found out about the Washed Ashore Project. What Washed Ashore does is remove plastic from oceans to reduce our water pollution. Volunteers have cleaned up miles of beaches, and taken tens of thousands of pounds of trash out of the water over the past decade. Artists also volunteer their services. They recycle the plastic, and make giant sculptures of our world's marinelife. It looks really cool, and the size of the sculptures illustrate well how much damage we're doing to the environment, making it a less abstract concept, while carrying a positive message at the same time, because hard-working and thoughtful folks here are doing their part to help our oceans. You can check out some of the different sculptures here.

https://en1.0f5.myftpupload.com/galleries/

My favorite image is the puffin! I love how realistic his feathers look.

I wouldn't mind walking through one of these exhibits.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
A lot of those sculptures are even more mesmerizing up close. The eagle's wings! My favorite is probably the sea dragon though, just because I've been fascinated with sea dragons since I first saw them on TV (the "Dark Magician" of a card game idea I came up with back in middle school was even based on a sea dragon—a leafy sea dragon).

- - -

It's either been too warm or too wet for me to want to get out lately, but I've still got more old photos! American groundnut, bush katydid nymph, common whitetail dragonfly, eastern garter snake (I need to get a better pic of one of these guys), great spangled fritillary, narrow-leaved blue-eyed grass, pintail beetle, seepage dancer, suede bolete, and yellow-legged mud-dauber

I also got a new camera, but I haven't been able to adjust to it yet...

Attachments

• american_groundnut.jpg
    american_groundnut.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4
  • bush_katydid_nymph.jpg
    bush_katydid_nymph.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2
  • common_whitetail.jpg
    common_whitetail.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
  • eastern_garter_snake.jpg
    eastern_garter_snake.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
  • great_spangled_fritillary.jpg
    great_spangled_fritillary.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1
  • yellowlegged_muddauber.jpg
    yellowlegged_muddauber.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2
  • pintail_beetle.jpg
    pintail_beetle.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
  • suede_bolete.jpg
    suede_bolete.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 3
  • narrowleaved_blueeyed_grass.jpg
    narrowleaved_blueeyed_grass.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2
  • seepage_dancer.jpg
    seepage_dancer.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
A horde or Bellsprout appeared?

izbAKKA.jpg

I know Bellsprout is primarily based on pitcher plants, but its English name and "Flower Pokémon" category suggest that it could also draw inspiration from bellflowers. There's even a Bellsprout card that appears to have bellflowers in the background (possibly spotted bellflowers, but I'm not well versed in plants), and the Japanese name for Violet City, home of Sprout Tower, means bellflower!

That said, these bellworts (genus Uvularia) aren't true bellflowers (genus Campanula). "Bellflower" is just one of their common names.

- - -

More of my past photos (moth edition): an American ermine moth, common looper, dark marathyssa, fervid plagodis, hitched arches, maple leafcutter moth, pink-barred pseudeustrotia, shagreened slug moth, splendid dagger, and Virginian tiger moth

Attachments

• american_ermine_moth.jpg
    american_ermine_moth.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 2
  • common_looper.jpg
    common_looper.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 2
  • dark_marathyssa.jpg
    dark_marathyssa.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 2
  • fervid_plagodis.jpg
    fervid_plagodis.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 2
  • hitched_arches.jpg
    hitched_arches.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 3
  • virginian_tiger_moth.jpg
    virginian_tiger_moth.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
  • splendid_dagger.jpg
    splendid_dagger.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 2
  • shagreened_slug_moth.jpg
    shagreened_slug_moth.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2
  • pinkbarred_pseudeustrotia.jpg
    pinkbarred_pseudeustrotia.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2
  • maple_leafcutter_moth.jpg
    maple_leafcutter_moth.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
My final non-moth batch, at least until I get more shots: Here's an azure bluet, buffalo treehopper nymph, a male and female dobsonfly, fairy inkcaps, northern flicker, pleasing fungus beetle, redbud borer, spined micrathena, a rarely seen hyperparasitoid wasp (Taeniogonalos gundlachii), and a white-crossed seed bug

Male dobsonflies look scarier, but it's the female's shorter mandibles that deliver the more painful bite. And hyperparasitoid wasps parasitize parasites!

Attachments

• azure_bluet.jpg
    azure_bluet.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3
  • buffalo_treehopper_nymph.jpg
    buffalo_treehopper_nymph.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2
  • dobsonfly.jpg
    dobsonfly.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 1
  • fairy_inkcaps.jpg
    fairy_inkcaps.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 1
  • northern_flicker.jpg
    northern_flicker.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 3
  • pleasing_fungus_beetle.jpg
    pleasing_fungus_beetle.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1
  • redbud_borer.jpg
    redbud_borer.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1
  • spined_micrathena.jpg
    spined_micrathena.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
  • taeniogonalos_gundlachii.jpg
    taeniogonalos_gundlachii.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2
  • whitecrossed_seed_bug.jpg
    whitecrossed_seed_bug.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Got a couple new moths recently: a Gray Scoopwing and an Oval Abrostola. I was surprised to learn that scoopwings are closely related to the butterfly-like swallowtail moths!

Spoiler:

Chickadee hatchlings! So ugly but so cute. >w<

Spoiler:

I also spotted some cool swirly clouds the other night. I know moot about weather, so I've no idea what to call this sort of formation/phenomenon.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Got a couple new moths recently: a Gray Scoopwing and an Oval Abrostola. I was surprised to learn that scoopwings are closely related to the butterfly-like swallowtail moths!

Spoiler:

Chickadee hatchlings! So ugly but so cute. >w<

Spoiler:

I also spotted some cool swirly clouds the other night. I know moot about weather, so I've no idea what to call this sort of formation/phenomenon.

Spoiler:

Thank you for not just this batch, but every single post!!!

The same goes for everyone in this awesome club btw!

I haven't been able to enjoy being in nature very much lately - even in my own garden - so being able to get my fill of our beautiful world in here is always much appreciated ❤️

Years
Hey lovely beautiful nature people! Figured I'd should join up! Got a garden and such after all.

I've also got a cute lil guy to show you guys! Bit of backstory: he was in my lettuce which I wrap in a damp towel and keep in the fridge to ensure it stays crisp and fresh. Green leaf lettuce. He was in there for a week when I snapped the leaf off to feed my reptiles, and plopped onto my counter. I thought he was dead but I was busy so I didn't toss him out then. But I saw him later, alive. I can appreciate tenacity, so I put the lil guy in a small bowl with a leaf of spinach. Gave him a small spritz of water, too. He got better, and by the end of the day, I set him free since he kept trying to escape the bowl. Still couldn't fly, but I didn't want the cats to get him.

Here's a pic my husband got:

Hello and welcome!!!

In this part of the world I'd say that was a shield bug.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
Gotta take a break today to charge up my batteries, but here are some things I've found over these past few days:

Widow Skimmer (immature male)
Spoiler:

Acanthocephala Leaf-Footed Bug egg
Spoiler:

Hedgenettle
Spoiler:

Spotted Apatelodes (NSFW)
Spoiler:

Fiery "rug" (ozonium) of the Firerug Inkcap
Spoiler:

Gray Petaltail
Spoiler: