• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*A Freshly Scented Garden* Grass-type Club

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    As soon as I complete my Gallade solo and reset my AS to a language that I actually speak (considering doing the Gallade solo in French), my next move will be to acquire strong contest pokes for each contest of the Grass type.

Thinking for rn
    Clever: Cacturne @ D-Bond/N-Plot/Secret Power/???
    Beauty: Shaymin if I can find one, Roserade if not, possibly Meganium. So many options. HECK, I COULD USE FERROTHORN HERE. Actually I will, that sounds like a gr8 idea
    Toughness: Torterra @ Stockpile/Spit Up/Giga Impact/WOOD HAMMER!
    Cuteness: Leavanny @ Hone Claws/Facade or Struggle Bug/Baton Pass/Entrainment
    Coolness: Serperior @ Double Team/Outrage/Frenzy Plant/Arial Ace

My automatic response is say Shaymin should be Cute, Leavanny should be Cool, and Serperior is beautiful. But moves OP.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sun
    Years
    I didn't expect you to be a Contest expert! :o

Let's see Cacturne might be to pull off the following Contest moves:
    Sucker Punch, Needle Arm, Destiny Bond, Payback

I look up the moves. But yes, Clever is where it really shines.

I really want to like Cacturne but its slow speed really hurts it. I used him specially to help me beat Sabrina in the Unova PWT which is a somewhat niche way to use him.

Cacturne has a cool design but low defenses and especially his slow speed really holds him back and it is very strange he can't learn Earthquake.

It may be slow but it does get Sucker Punch to get around the Speed issue. Spiky Shield is another great move it has in its arsenal, plus equal Attack and Sp. Attack allow him to attack easily on both sides. Even learns a few random Poison and Fighting-type TMs to throw extra coverage in.

So yeah, not that bad of a Pokemon when you look at it.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I have never used Amoongus (Not a huge fan of its design and there are other Grass/Poison Types I prefer) but it is not good for the Paras line it is overshadowed by the other Mushroom Pokémon.

A Grass Trick Room team could work and have members such as the Sunflora, Ferrothorn and Cacturne but it is not something I plan to try anytime soon.

Cacturne gets Water Absorb as his Hidden Ability. :(

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Contests have gotten far easier in ORAS with the removal of Sheen.

My Contest Grass Type is Lilligant with the moveset Magical Leaf, Petal Dance, Leaf Storm and Return.

Petal Dance and Leaf Storm are overpowered in terms of Contests and Magical Leaf is a great opening move. :)

If you get all the ribbons on one Pokémon you get a special Contest Star Ribbon and an effect on entering battle.

Of your options above Roserade seems to be the best choice for entering all the Contests. :)

Lisia's Ali is much tougher than the other contestants but she does not appear until you have won all Master Rank Contests at least once.

Reactions: Sun

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    Spoiler:

Amoongus is fat. It can take a hit or 3, but can't do much else. Use Quagsire in singles and Pachirisu in doubles (plz get joke kthx). Trick Room requires the pokemon to also hit really hard. Ferro can do that, but Cacturne's niche is Priority anyway and Sunflora has been discussed. Also, you wolud be required to run Celebi (fast), Whimsi (really fast), Trevavant (okish) or Exeggutor (no other moves) to set up said Trick Room.

WATER ABSORB IS BEST ABILITY

I have a Bronzong and a Gardevoir with said ribbon. In the anime, the Grass types used in contests (by protagonists or rivals) are Bulbasaur/Venusaur (May), Cacturne (Harley), Roselia/Roserade (Drew, Nando), Sunflora (Nando), Carnivine (James under Jessie's control), and Leafeon (Zoey). The only really "showy" grass Pokemon not accounted for (that was available when Contests were a thing) is Ludicolo, and the only one I was surprised to see on that list was Carnivine.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

All I know about Trick Room other than obviously what it does is that Oak's Grandson gives it you after defeating his Gym in the Johto Games and there is a Bronzong in the Battle Maison which always uses it.

I plan to use Cacturne in my Hoenn Monograss. I had a look at Sunflora's stats, it's Speed stat is 30...the same as Oddish. Most of my favourite Grass Types are of solid speed other than Vileplume which means setting a Trick Room team might not be ideal for me.

From what little I have seen of the DP anime Jame's Carnivine seems similar to Jessie's Wobbuffet was...a semi comic relief character. I have not watched the anime properly since Misty left so I might be wrong.

The others fit Contests including Cacturne, whose Trainer dresses in a Cacturne outfit. In my own experience Cacturne is a good Contest Pokémon. :)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    -snip-
    I plan to use Cacturne in my Hoenn Monograss. I had a look at Sunflora's stats, it's Speed stat is 30...the same as Oddish. Most of my favourite Grass Types are of solid speed other than Vileplume which means setting a Trick Room team might not be ideal for me.

-snip-

The others fit Contests including Cacturne, whose Trainer dresses in a Cacturne outfit. In my own experience Cacturne is a good Contest Pokémon. :)
    Oddish and Sunkern. They really hated Sunflora... At least the other super-weak pokemon have badass evolutions...

The Grass type has an average base speed of 59.8, making it the fourth (Pokemondb screwed it up) slowest type. Speed is theoretically Grass type's worst stat. This isn't helped by multiple fully evolved base 30/40s... It's theoretically a good type to use on TR, but everything but Ferro is a little lacking in the damages...
    Fun fact: As a whole, the Grass type's best average base stat is Defense at 73.1 (9th overall). Also, the average Attack of the type (73.1, 11th) is greater than it's SpAtk (72.2, 10th), despite being a Special type until Gen 4.

Cacturne is just so cute and cuddly...

Years
    I find it so hard to believe how slow Grass-types really are. The only ones that seem to have the speed to be a decent threat are Whimsicott, Sceptile, Serperior, Jumpluff and even Lilligant, Leafeon and Leavanny to a lesser extent.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    I think I have amended the main post to incorporate all name changes. Please let me know if I have missed any.

*A Freshly Scented Garden* Grass-type Club

I now have my favourite starter as a Shiny. :)

New Topic - Shiny Stories

1. What was the first Grass Type Shiny Pokémon you have found or received? What was it and how did you react?

2. If you were to find a Shiny form of a Grass-type you did not normally use during a Playthrough would you add it to your team.

3. What is your favourite Grass Type Shiny Pokémon and why?

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years

1. What was the first Grass Type Shiny Pokémon you have found or received? What was it and how did you react?
    My first (and only) shiny Grass type was a Roselia I bumped into one night. I was just cruising along Kalos Route 7 on my lovely little bicycle, and had just come up to the Daycare when my thumb slid on the circle pad, sending me off the path and into the grass. Before I could escape the inevitable encounter with a wild Pokemon that, by that point in the game, was just a nuisance that wouldn't help me gain much experience or that could be added to the Dex, I was viciously (okay, not really) attacked by a Roselia! About to roast it to a crispy little flowering humanoid with my Talonflame, I stopped and did a double take as I realized "It's flowers are black and purple!" Long story short, one False Swipe from my switched-in Bisharp and an Ultra Ball later, I'd caught myself my very first shiny Pokemon! (Technically second, but as the first was the red Gyrados from HG/SS, which is part of the storyline, I never count it.) A wonderful example of why accidents aren't always a bad thing.

2. If you were to find a Shiny form of a Grass-type you did not normally use during a Playthrough would you add it to your team.
    Yes. I'm a sucker for shinies. As I never try to purposely seek them out, it's always a surprise to find one in the wild by chance, and I like to display that accomplishment by adding the shiny Pokemon to my team. So far, I've got one that more than made the cut (the above mentioned Roselia, who quickly became a Roserade) and one that I dropped around mid-point in the playthrough (a shiny Geodude/Graveler). Actually, if it weren't for finding that Roselia, I probably never would have tried the Budew line, and it definitely wouldn't have grown on me so much.
    Roserade! Who's surprised? No? Anyway, I just really love the coloring. There's a subtle difference in the shades of green on its body, even though Nintendo would have gotten away with just changing the rose colors from blue and red to black and purple (which looks so awesome as a color combo). It's really nice, in my opinion.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
    The only Shiny Grass type I have found was a Tangela in my FR Monograss, so it went on the team but I never bothered to train it due to it's low level.

Also, Shiny Serperior and Roserade. Move along.

Killua

Roselia, i bolted trough The house screaming Shiny!!! Shiny!!!
    If it was not something like a paras i would use it
    Roserade is só beautiful!!!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

I forgot which Grass Pokemon was my first ever shiny, it's either a Shiny Roselia from a Gen IV game or a Grass Pokemon that I've forgotten in one of the Gen III games. Since I recall the Roselia one, I'm gonna share my experience on that instead. I was astonished and excited, since I'm a fan of the Budew line. Needless to say it's so memorable that I remember it nowadays! Oh, have I mentioned? That happened around 10 years ago!

Nope, if it was the likes of Parasect, but I'm totally cool with a Shiny Cherrim, Shiny Carnivine! What matter is the nature and Ability (if applicable), not the color.

Easily the Shiny Cottonee line! Shiny Cottonee looks like an orange flavored cotton candy, nice isn't it? :P While a Shiny Whimsicott is a combination of cute and mysterious. Totally lovin' them!

The only person who's able to answer this topic is the club owner himself!

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

3.What is your favourite Grass Type Shiny Pokémon and why?

1. - The first Grass Shiny I ever found was a Shiny Petilil in Alpha Sapphire. I Dexnaved extensively for a Shiny Petilil before giving up for a couple of hours.

I came back after said couple of hours and on a Chain of just 2 saw a Petilil with a lighter green body and Blue eyes. (I flat out missed the sparkles.) After a cheer I threw a Premier Ball and caught her. I evolved her into Lilligant, won all the Contest Ribbons and took her to the Hall of Fame. She is now Level 100.

2. - The games have a strange and happy habit of giving me Grass Shinys with minimal effort. In the Friend Safari I found a Brown Cacturne in 5 minutes and a Red and Black Female Nuzleaf when I wasn't looking for anything in particular.

Now the Nuzleaf line was not one I used to any extent before (I always had the Sapphire games) but I added the Nuzleaf to my team now I had a Shiny version I have used it extensively.

Shiftry is a lot of fun to use and reminds me of a Tengu. (Which I think it is based off)

3. My favourite Grass Shiny is Treecko line. I really like how the darker green and red complement each other. It's evolved forms look good but I really like how the colours pop on the Hoenn starter. :)

Some really good answers so far and a lot of love for the Roserade Shiny which is a nice understated Shiny. :)

There are currently two Grass/Flying type families in the Pokemon games. They are the Jumpluff line (Hoppip, Skiploon, Jumpluff) and Tropius.

What do you think of the Grass/Flying Typing and the Pokemon that have it?

Last edited:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    So far the most excellent Pokemon with this typing's the Hoppip line, due to its high Speed and great supportive moveset. But this time can be easily targeted with Ice Shard, which isn't a good thing. Offensively, Grass-type is always a great type, while Flying-type is a bit so-so when it comes to offensive capability, despite the supah fly image.

Unless they have other better plans or have an Ability to shield a Pokemon with this typing, it's for the best to not create an another Grass/Flying.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
    I never really got into any of the Grass/Flying types, because Tropius lost very quickly first time I tried it in battle, the Hoppip line seems more the supportive type (I'm for all-out offense), and I never got a chance to try anything with Shaymin (whether Land or Sky). Shaymin in the movie Giratina and the Sky Warrior was pretty great, though to me the legendaries all seem a lot better in the movies/anime/manga than the games...

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    What do you think of the Grass/Fire Typing and the Pokemon that have it?

Whilst I like the concept of the Grass/Flying type I do not think it works too well for the Pokémon with such a typing. Mainly down to the 4x Weakness to Ice.

Jumpluff - Whilst I like the design of the whole line I have never used it in my team extensively finding Whimsicott and its Prankster Ability to provide the support role of Jumpluff much better than the Gen 2 Pokémon does.

Tropius - I really want to like this Pokémon as it has a nice design and a cool ability in Solar Power. However my experience with this Pokémon was very underwhelming and hopefully it gets an evolution Obe day to stand out more.

Shaymin - Sky - I am slightly ashamed to say I have never used this Pokémon before due to never owning a Shaymin. I am not a fan of the idea of Event Pokémon but both Shaymin formes do have a cute design.

New Topic - Grass Club and the TCG

This is not the first Grass Club. There was a Grass Club in the Game Boy Color Game 'Pokemon Trading Card Game' with the Leader of the Club being Nikki.

1. Have you ever played the 'Pokemon Trading Card Game?' If so did you visit the Grass Club?

2. What do you make of the Grass Club being an All Female Club? (The only All Girl Club in the Game) Consider how the 'Science Club' in the same game is all male, use Grass Type cards but the Science club cards tend to be Poison based Pokémon like the Nidoran line whilst Grass Clubs cards were the likes of Tangela and Vileplume.

3. Have you ever owned or used Grass Type Cards in the TCG? If so what were your experiences and what is your favourite card?

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
    Can't give an opinion to this topic because have never done anything with the TCG, whether the electronic version or the physical cards... I want to know it though. I want to know allll the Pokemon stuff.

Killua

Have you ever played the 'Pokemon Trading Card Game?' If so did you visit the Grass Club?
    I played but i stopped before coming here
    2. What do you make of the Grass Club being an All Female Club? (The only All Girl Club in the Game) Consider how the 'Science Club' in the same game is all male, use Grass Type cards but the Science club cards tend to be Poison based Pokémon like the Nidoran line whilst Grass Clubs cards were the likes of Tangela and Vileplume.
    cannot give an opinion.

3. Have you ever owned or used Grass Type Cards in the TCG? If so what were your experiences and what is your favourite card?
    Shaymin and Tangrowth

Back