• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Debate Abortion

Years
  • Oh boy, I wish I had read this post before responding. How did I miss this?

"Abortion-happy"? Nah, "lack of a better term" won't absolve this hot mess. Despite what you may have heard from whatever moron who implanted the idea into your head, abortions are NEVER a "happy" occasion for anyone. It's a weighty decision that also comes with the guilt and annoyance of people trying to force a woman to do what THEY want her to do. I don't care what news story you wave in my face to justify this blatant disrespect to women, it's a harrowing experience that could be made a lot less harrowing if overzealous religious people would just shut their mouths.

You seem to have missed the post(s) where I flat out said that the issue is complicated and that it's not an easy decision to make. Don't pick and choose the parts of my posts you want to reference to suit your purposes.

Also, I'm not religious. Good try though.

Oh joy, the "pregnancy is punishment for having sex" argument. This one, to any reasonable human being, refutes itself, but I'll play. Well, if you get in a car accident and die tomorrow, why should anyone mourn -- or more importantly, why open an investigation? You knew the risks of operating a motor vehicle, and you went and did it anyway. That was your dumb mistake, and you get to live (die) with it. If this proposition sounds dumb, congratulations -- it's yours wrapped up in a different scenario. Pregnancy is not a punishment for having sex. Why I'm still informing people of this in 2019... my god.

Please tell me where I said pregnancy is a punishment. It is a natural biological event that I assume someone who is capable of consenting to sex is educated enough to be aware of. Any reasonable human being knows that no method of contraception is 100% effective and that having sex anyway means you're gambling, on good odds sure, but not perfect odds. This has nothing to do with divine punishment. It's called being aware of how the human body works and being aware that you are taking a risk, however small. In other words, being responsible and intelligent and making informed decisions. You're putting words in my mouth and trying to paint me in a very specific way, and frankly you're doing a bad job of it.

For example, did you consent to participate in your last car crash? Did you decide to have another driver barrel into you? No.
    Chances are though, you wilfully consented to sex - while fully aware of the possible outcome. Your attempt at false equivalence falls apart.

Personally, I think other living human beings shouldn't have to be subjected to this kind of guilt-tripping sanctimony; it's torturous. Living beings die around us all the time, and more often than not, they don't get a say. Not the deer out in the field; not the bug to our chemical sprays; not the germ to our soaps and ethanol. All lives that we extinguish, willfully, without thought, because we (as humans!) decided they deserve to die for our own convenience and comfort. But when it comes to an unthinking bundle of cells, people get all hot and bothered. Hey, ask your friendly, neighborhood pro-lifer tomorrow how many children they willfully adopted. I mean, people who argue against abortion always bring up adoption as an option. It's just so, so tragic that more often than not, they don't practice what they preach. Right-wing christians being hypocrites.. shocking.

Personally, I don't go around killing things simply because they inconvenience me, actually. You see, human beings aren't special. Every living thing is just, as you say, a bundle of cells. That means that we all have equal value. It's one thing then, to take one life to sustain another, or to take a life to preserve another. That's an equal trade. Taking a life because it's going to inconvenience you, because you made a decision with results you didn't prepare for, that's not an even exchange. That's putting yourself on a pedestal you don't belong on and have no right to.

No, not in a million years. Why is it that even people who claim to love freedom and personal choice are all too eager to control how a woman handles the thing growing inside of HER womb? This kind of lazy centrist thinking is what leads to those horror stories you hear about a woman's r*pist suing her for custody of the child that came. This idea that men always have a say is patriarchal bullshit that needs to die. If the man can have a say in the clump of cells, then what else can the woman NOT do with her body without a man's consent? Tubal ligation? Contraceptives?

Because the thing growing inside HER womb is not a part of HER. It's a separate entity with its own biological makeup that she had help in creating. If the father wants to raise the child he had a hand in creating, then he should have every right to. It's unfortunate that the baby has to gestate inside that unwilling mother's body, but if she consented to sex, she consented to this being a potential outcome. Nobody is forcing her to raise it, single fathers can manage just fine. More and more births are being done by c-section now too, so chances are she won't even have to push it out. She'd be sore for a while post-op of course, but that's cause and effect for you.

If you think I'm anywhere near a centrist... well I have some very bad news for you. I'm probably one of the most left-wing people you'll come across on this site. I don't think even Adri or Hands, who very plainly disagree with me here, would try to call me centrist. But, since we're playing the false equivalency game again, I'll just point out that a rapist being able to sue for custody is a problem with you legal system that obviously needs fixing. That's a no brainer. It doesn't have any impact on anything I've been saying, and I would generally figure it's obvious enough not to need mentioning, but I guess not covering something that should just be common sense makes me a lazy centrist. That would not be the first thing you've apparently decided for me.

Nice arguments straight out of the Fox News playbook.

No really, continue the ad hominem. It's really helping you present yourself as the reasonable and enlightened side of the debate.

I think it's safe to say that I, and just about everyone else in this thread, have more brainpower as individuals than just about the entirety of the staff at Fox News.

Last edited:

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • I was going to tone it down a bit, but then I read the absolute snark and smugness radiating from this horrendous rebuttal, and I'm kicking caution to the wind.

Please tell me where I said pregnancy is a punishment. It is a natural biological event that I assume someone who is capable of consenting to sex is educated enough to be aware of. Any reasonable human being knows that no method of contraception is 100% effective and that having sex anyway means you're gambling, on good odds sure, but not perfect odds. This has nothing to do with divine punishment. It's called being aware of how the human body works and being aware that you are taking a risk, however small. In other words, being responsible and intelligent and making informed decisions. You're putting words in my mouth and trying to paint me in a very specific way, and frankly you're doing a bad job of it.

You're using the consequence of pregnancy as reasoning for being for restricting abortion. This is really not hard to grasp, at all. If you were just pointing it out, like, "hey, if you have sex, you could get pregnant man!" then sure, fine. Odd, but fine. But you chose to make it a part of your morality regarding abortion, and whether divine or not (speaking of "putting words in mouths," when did I ever say anything about god there, pal?) that makes you sound exactly like pro-life nutjobs. Do you truly not see the overlap you have with the same kind of people who literally get in womens' faces as they walk into abortion clinics, calling them "sinners" and other very ungodly things?

For example, did you consent to participate in your last car crash? Did you decide to have another driver barrel into you? No.
    Chances are though, you wilfully consented to sex - while fully aware of the possible outcome. Your attempt at false equivalence falls apart.

This doesn't change the fact that you are using a pro-life talking point and you seem to be absolutely unaware of it. Or, you are aware, and you play along to give people the illusion of balance. I don't know. If you can't see it, what else can I do. My point with the car crash was "shit happens and we all take risks simply by existing." To mitigate these risks of things we willfully participate in (why yes, you DO have to willfully drive a car!) we, for instance, put on a seatbelt. Well, a condom is a seatbelt for preventing pregnancy. They can both fail. So, in essence, all you do by using that tired, stupid rhetoric that so many pro-lifers use is state the obvious, but substantiate nothing.

Personally, I don't go around killing things simply because they inconvenience me, actually. You see, human beings aren't special. Every living thing is just, as you say, a bundle of cells. That means that we all have equal value. It's one thing then, to take one life to sustain another, or to take a life to preserve another. That's an equal trade. Taking a life because it's going to inconvenience you, because you made a decision with results you didn't prepare for, that's not an even exchange. That's putting yourself on a pedestal you don't belong on and have no right to.

So, you've never killed a wasp. A spider? An ant? Any sort of insect, flying or otherwise, encroaching upon your living space? You've never... WASHED YOUR HANDS? Yes, you do kill things that inconvenience you all the time, so don't smugly strut your way to a pedestal just yet. You still have to answer for why you think an unthinking, unfeeling bundle of cells has the same value as a fully aware human being. Since that's the basis of your view of abortion, you may as well call yourself pro-life. Again, you try to pass yourself off as balanced by avoiding the label, but you are so plainly pro-life, and your evasions may get by some here, but come on.

Because the thing growing inside HER womb is not a part of HER. It's a separate entity with its own biological makeup that she had help in creating. If the father wants to raise the child he had a hand in creating, then he should have every right to. It's unfortunate that the baby has to gestate inside that unwilling mother's body, but if she consented to sex, she consented to this being a potential outcome. Nobody is forcing her to raise it, single fathers can manage just fine. More and more births are being done by c-section now too, so chances are she won't even have to push it out. She'd be sore for a while post-op of course, but that's cause and effect for you.

And here we have you digging deeper from the pro-lifer playbook. Tell ya what, when the father gets a link to the umbilical cord, then we can start really talking about how it's a "part of him." True, he hands over 23 chromosomes, but he isn't the literal vessel through which this thing lives and thrives. He doesn't get the depression, the stretchmarks, the joint pain, the kicking, the constant pissing, or any of the mental or physical pain that nine months of pregnancy can bring. I haven't even started on post-pregnancy. The fact remains: after conception, the father could die in a fire, and the baby would still live. No mother, no kid. Still want to argue that the father is just as important all because he ejaculated?

If you think I'm anywhere near a centrist... well I have some very bad news for you. I'm probably one of the most left-wing people you'll come across on this site. I don't think even Adri or Hands, who very plainly disagree with me here, would try to call me centrist. But, since we're playing the false equivalency game again, I'll just point out that a rapist being able to sue for custody is a problem with you legal system that obviously needs fixing. That's a no brainer. It doesn't have any impact on anything I've been saying, and I would generally figure it's obvious enough not to need mentioning, but I guess not covering something that should just be common sense makes me a lazy centrist. That would not be the first thing you've apparently decided for me.

Oh you're not further left than me, trust me. It's a guarantee that you're not, and your view on abortion is evidence enouugh. And a rapist being able to sue his victim for custody ABSOLUTELY has an impact on how you set yourself up to look like a pro-lifer. Do you think something like that being permissible in a court of law just came out of nowhere? It was a natural extension of mens' and fathers' rights groups who made the paternal involvement in abortion decisions a talking point.

If you're a leftist, then please don't call yourself a feminist ally, at the very least.

Years
  • You're using the consequence of pregnancy as reasoning for being for restricting abortion.This is really not hard to grasp, at all. If you were just pointing it out, like, "hey, if you have sex, you could get pregnant man!" then sure, fine. Odd, but fine. But you chose to make it a part of your morality regarding abortion, and whether divine or not (speaking of "putting words in mouths," when did I ever say anything about god there, pal?) that makes you sound exactly like pro-life nutjobs. Do you truly not see the overlap you have with the same kind of people who literally get in womens' faces as they walk into abortion clinics, calling them "sinners" and other very ungodly things?

I am using pregnancy as a reasoning for restricting abortion. We wouldn't need to restrict abortion if pregnancy wasn't a thing, oddly enough.

You uh, actually did reference religion in your earlier post. Then shortly after talked about "punishment", as if I was suggesting something with agency was inflicting pregnancy on people to punish them for having sex. I don't think I'm particularly out of line for my choice of wording.

I have very little overlap with those people. Firstly, I would never do that, that's despicable. Secondly, I don't want abortion to be illegal. Thirdly, we have already covered that I'm not religious.

This doesn't change the fact that you are using a pro-life talking point and you seem to be absolutely unaware of it. Or, you are aware, and you play along to give people the illusion of balance. I don't know. If you can't see it, what else can I do. My point with the car crash was "shit happens and we all take risks simply by existing." To mitigate these risks of things we willfully participate in (why yes, you DO have to willfully drive a car!) we, for instance, put on a seatbelt. Well, a condom is a seatbelt for preventing pregnancy. They can both fail. So, in essence, all you do by using that tired, stupid rhetoric that so many pro-lifers use is state the obvious, but substantiate nothing.

I'm not trying to give the illusion of anything. The thread wanted my thoughts, I've given them. If my perspective is suddenly being used as a pro-life talking point, then they're the ones trying to give the illusion of being reasonable, not me.

Your point with the car crash was to try and create a falsely equivalent scenario and then apply my logic to it, which doesn't work. Firstly, there is a big difference between being a responsible driver on the road who gets hit by an irresponsible driver and willingly consenting to an activity with a known risk factor. If you are not a responsible driver and that gets you into an accident, then I have little sympathy for you, but your analogy breaks down unless we're talking about unprotected sex, which we don't seem to be, and if if you have unprotected sex but aren't prepared to risk a pregnancy, you're an idiot. If you're a responsible driver and someone else rams into you and you get hurt, then I have more sympathy for you, but then your analogy breaks down because we are talking about consensual sex here, not rape, and nobody consents to some moron t-boning them.

Secondly, it is pretty much impossible to manage modern existence without at some point having to cross a street, drive or be a passenger in a vehicle. It is however possible to go through life without having sex with someone if you're not prepared to deal with the potential outcome.

The two situations are not at all comparable no matter how many times you try to jam them into the same mould.

So, you've never killed a wasp. A spider? An ant? Any sort of insect, flying or otherwise, encroaching upon your living space? You've never... WASHED YOUR HANDS? Yes, you do kill things that inconvenience you all the time, so don't smugly strut your way to a pedestal just yet. You still have to answer for why you think an unthinking, unfeeling bundle of cells has the same value as a fully aware human being. Since that's the basis of your view of abortion, you may as well call yourself pro-life. Again, you try to pass yourself off as balanced by avoiding the label, but you are so plainly pro-life, and your evasions may get by some here, but come on.

No I have never killed a wasp, spider, ant or any other sort of bug. I do the fair and humane thing and remove them to a location that is safer for them. Washing ones hands would fit into the category of preserving my own life because of the health risks of not doing so. So no, I don't kill things that inconvenience me at any time. Maybe now you can stop trying to decide what I think and do for me as at this point you have been wrong every time you have attempted it.

I already did answer as to my reasoning behind the value of an unborn baby. A fully grown and aware human being is also just a bundle of cells. We are not special, we aren't even unique in being self-aware. If we're not special, we have no more right to exist than any other entity. Our value is equal. Therefore, it is not an equal exchange to take the life of another living being as a matter of convenience. It's putting yourself above it and assigning value to yourself that you don't have.

And here we have you digging deeper from the pro-lifer playbook. Tell ya what, when the father gets a link to the umbilical cord, then we can start really talking about how it's a "part of him." True, he hands over 23 chromosomes, but he isn't the literal vessel through which this thing lives and thrives. He doesn't get the depression, the stretchmarks, the joint pain, the kicking, the constant pissing, or any of the mental or physical pain that nine months of pregnancy can bring. I haven't even started on post-pregnancy. The fact remains: after conception, the father could die in a fire, and the baby would still live. No mother, no kid. Still want to argue that the father is just as important all because he ejaculated?

It's not my fault that human biology is the way it is. Men should not be punished for being born men any more than a woman should be punished for being a woman or a baby should be punished for being conceived without a say in it. Also, I never said this hypothetical baby is "a part of him". I quite literally made a statement as to the exact opposite, that baby isn't a "part" of anyone. It is its own unique living being.

We have also seen evidence in this very thread that the decision to abort or not can and does way equally heavily on the mind of the father, even if they are not carrying the baby. So yes, I think the father that had an equal hand it creating the baby should have a say in whether or not the baby is aborted, and have the chance to put forward a case to raise the child as a single parent. Oddly enough, no father, also no kid. It takes two to tango.

Oh you're not further left than me, trust me. It's a guarantee that you're not, and your view on abortion is evidence enouugh.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

And a rapist being able to sue his victim for custody ABSOLUTELY has an impact on how you set yourself up to look like a pro-lifer. Do you think something like that being permissible in a court of law just came out of nowhere? It was a natural extension of mens' and fathers' rights groups who made the paternal involvement in abortion decisions a talking point.

All I have to say to that is that I am deeply concerned for anyone who considers the rights of a rapist a logical extension of the rights of a father who engaged in consensual sex.

If you're a leftist, then please don't call yourself a feminist ally, at the very least.

At what point did I ever use the phrase "feminist ally"?
    If you must know, I consider myself an egalitarian (in the true sense, not the far right trying to pretend they're reasonable sense).

Last edited:

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • I'm going to end my conversation with you here, because I will absolutely say something that gets me banned. I've already been warned once. Just know that your views on abortion are very ugly, and they make me hate you. Also, don't get a big head over me bowing out -- as long as your argument against abortion contains "a fetus is a human being," you're just not worth arguing with. It would be like trying to talk someone out of their religion. Also, as long as you have ANY notions about being okay with the government regulating abortion, you can not claim to be an "egalitarian." You are saying you're okay with women having their bodies policed.

Edit: Cool infraction badge!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I literally never said a "fetus is a human being". It's not a totally unreasonable thing to say, being that biologically they are, but my argument always centred on equivalent value (everyone being a clump of cells) not on what anything is.

Governments police just about everything we do, including in many ways our bodies. It's what governments do. Why is not okay for a government to decide what others do with their bodies but it's perfectly okay for a pregnant woman to decide on her own whether a separate living being lives or dies? Just because she happens to have had the bad luck of being born the one with the womb? Yeah no.

I can and do call myself an egalitarian. I very much believe that all people are of equal value and deserve equal opportunities. My beliefs on this subject do not take away from that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    This debate has gone about as I expected. This is one of those topics that just upsets some people.

My stance is complicated. I consider myself pro-life in all but life saving measures. It is the start of a separate person. Whether it'll get there or have a happy life is not relevant. However, I also believe that people have free will to make their own decisions. I won't help you if that's your decision nor will I interfere unless I have a personal involvement in the matter. I don't support tax money going towards abortion. I would support free or as close to free as possible birth control for everyone. The choice should be between the woman and her doctor without idiots trying to say they know more than a doctor. The fathers should be able to have some say but how much is debatable. They can get stuck with child support if they have no interest or don't get to be a father even if they are willing to take and raise the child.

It is interesting to see the argument that it is a hard choice for women to make and the argument that it is just a bunch of cells and nothing to care about in the same debate.

And there are people who get multiple abortions or are happy that they got one.

https://shoutyourabortion.com/

So it seems like it varies by person with some trying to make it seem like its not a big deal. Viscerally the idea of killing what would be children disturbs me.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • this may seem too radical here but... even if people are happy they get an abortion, it... shouldn't be bad to feel that way? why are we shaming people for this? someone could be glad they got an abortion because 1. they had a medical condition that could have caused the death of themselves or their child upon birth/pregnancy and are happy they will remain healthy, 2. they didn't have the funds or money to afford taking care of their child and are happy their child won't suffer or struggle growing up in poverty (note that growing up in poverty has been proven to give some children ptsd and other mental health issues) 3. they are addicted to drugs or alcohol and are happy their child won't grow up in such an environment... there's so many reasons why someone might be glad they went through with their abortion.

also, since a majority of people are refusing to talk about this or barely scraping the bottom of the barrel on this topic, let's bring up victims of rape and sexual assault as well. a rape victim is allowed to be happy about getting an abortion. no victim should be forced to give birth to their abuser's child. no victim should be shamed for being happy about having an abortion. no victim should ask permission to have an abortion from their abuser. what if the victim was a victim of incest? children born out of incestual relations are more likely to have serious developmental problems and health issues. they're more likely to die young as a result of these problems. the birth of the child can harm the pregnant individual.

honestly? as a sexual abuse victim myself i'm pretty shocked about some of the replies on this thread. if i had gotten pregnant by my abuser, i would have been TWELVE maybe THIRTEEN by the time my child would have been born. do you think someone that young should be burdened with the responsibility of taking care of a child? i was a fucking child myself. i didn't deserve my abuse and i shouldn't be punished for something that wasn't my fault. i absolutely loathe that rhetoric of "well!! if someone got pregnant when they didnt want to they DESERVE to have that child no matter what situation/medical condition they have!" and trying to promote celibacy until marriage. that's not an effective way of birth control/handling teen pregnancy and a majority of that teaching is incredibly abusive and shaming of young people and discovering their sexuality. making sure there is free access to forms of birth control and education of sex and birth control methods is the best way.

no one should be forced to have a child over an accident or something beyond their control. and no one should be shamed for being glad they got an abortion, for whatever reason they have.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I scanned the thread and fwiw, (I think?) we all appear to be on the same page when it comes to a victim's choice when faced with a non-consensual pregnancy. There's been a relative lack of discussion on that aspect because no one has deemed it necessary to die on that particular hill - even the most staunch pro-lifers here have, if I'm reading correctly, made an exception in that regard. Most people here are talking about abortion from a distinctly American-influenced standpoint, not a Chilean one. Though even Chile has somewhat modernised in the last couple of years.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Most people here are talking about abortion from a distinctly American-influenced standpoint, not a Chilean one. Though even Chile has somewhat modernised in the last couple of years.
    The Chilean standpoint?

Years
  • I mean, at least for where I'm sitting, in the instance of rape, it is a very different scenario to having consensual sex. First and foremost, if the father assaulted the mother, they should be foregoing the right to have a say in whether that baby is aborted or not seeing as the mother had no say in whether she was going to risk the pregnancy to begin with.

Secondly, there is significant enough risk to the mental health of the mother (and potentially to the safety of the infant after birth anyway), to situate this scenario pretty firmly in the category of taking one life to preserve another. In the case of child pregnancy, there is also real physical risk to the mother that further cements this.

I don't mention it much in my earlier posts, because as I briefly discussed with Neil, it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    I literally never said a "fetus is a human being". It's not a totally unreasonable thing to say, being that biologically they are, but my argument always centred on equivalent value (everyone being a clump of cells) not on what anything is.

Governments police just about everything we do, including in many ways our bodies. It's what governments do. Why is not okay for a government to decide what others do with their bodies but it's perfectly okay for a pregnant woman to decide on her own whether a separate living being lives or dies? Just because she happens to have had the bad luck of being born the one with the womb? Yeah no.

I can and do call myself an egalitarian. I very much believe that all people are of equal value and deserve equal opportunities. My beliefs on this subject do not take away from that.

thats literally not "eGaLiTaRiAn" at all. childbirth is inherently unequal because the person who's carrying the baby has to spend much more time and energy. im curious to know how its fair that one person has to derail their life for almost a year while the other person gets off free. I really cant think of any weird way to justify thinking its fair to give someone an unfair advantage just because they werent born with a womb.

also that why are women allowed to take control over their own bodies while the government cant comment is a big piles of yikes.

Years
  • thats literally not "eGaLiTaRiAn" at all. childbirth is inherently unequal because the person who's carrying the baby has to spend much more time and energy. im curious to know how its fair that one person has to derail their life for almost a year while the other person gets off free. I really cant think of any weird way to justify thinking its fair to give someone an unfair advantage just because they werent born with a womb.

also that why are women allowed to take control over their own bodies while the government cant comment is a big piles of yikes.

eGaLiTaRiAn.
    Nice.

I hope you realise that the average pregnancy is not nearly as debilitating as you're suggesting. It's not until quite late into a pregnancy that you need to start making very serious alterations to your lifestyle. I've known women who worked as dancers for the vast majority of their pregnancies. That is a very physically demanding job. If they can do that, people with a more average lifestyle can manage.

You can't change biology. You can make sure that all lives are treated with the same value. Egalitarianism is literally the belief that all members of our species have the same value and should be extended the same rights and opportunities. Nothing I have said goes against that. If anything discussed in this thread does, it's giving a woman the right to end another life because she doesn't want to deal with a child without giving the baby's father a say in the matter at all.

What you're calling "taking control of their own bodies" is literally killing a separate biological entity. It's got a lot more to do with taking control of a different body/life than it does with maintaining control of your own.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • "the average pregnancy is not nearly as debilitating as you're suggesting"

Unless those words are coming from a woman who has been pregnant or an OB/GYN, I don't want to hear them. For every one woman you've known who worked through a pregnancy, there are probably a hundred who couldn't. And the main reason women continue to work while pregnant is livelihood, when they should be given paid time off with no exceptions in the first place. And I would certainly caution anyone against listening to a pro-lifer about matters of women's biology, as they are more often than not VERY misogynistic and eager to spread nonsense to artificially substantiate their "clumps of cells are lives too" agenda.

And yes, you're pro-life. You already passed the "a clump of cells is a life" test; you may as well just embrace it now. But, if it helps you project this image of "rational centrism" I can assume you're after, so be it.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • And I would certainly caution anyone against listening to a pro-lifer about matters of women's biology, as they are more often than not VERY misogynistic and eager to spread nonsense to artificially substantiate their "clumps of cells are lives too" agenda.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/04/27/labour-and-lib-dem-voters-more-likely-to-support-tighter-abortion-laws-than-conservatives-poll-shows/

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/pro-choice-pro-life-2018-demographic-tables.aspx

whoops.

Edit: https://news.gallup.com/poll/235445/abortion-attitudes-remain-closely-divided.aspx
    Also, not joining the debate per se, but I just wanted to present some statistics that could be interesting for this. Take the first link with a grain of salt, but the other two are at least better in this regard with links to their sources.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/04/27/labour-and-lib-dem-voters-more-likely-to-support-tighter-abortion-laws-than-conservatives-poll-shows/

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/pro-choice-pro-life-2018-demographic-tables.aspx

whoops.

Edit: https://news.gallup.com/poll/235445/abortion-attitudes-remain-closely-divided.aspx
    Also, not joining the debate per se, but I just wanted to present some statistics that could be interesting for this. Take the first link with a grain of salt, but the other two are at least better in this regard with links to their sources.

That first link is kind of strange, because the divide is more clearly between men and women asked, and all were from marginal seats. So there could be a lot more at play than "conservatives are more pro choice". There's also the fact that it's a UK poll, where our Conservatives are much less harsh on civil and social rights. It was a Conservative British govt that passed marriage equality, although it got support across the board. The overton window in Britain is in a very different place to where it is in America

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • That first link is kind of strange, because the divide is more clearly between men and women asked, and all were from marginal seats. So there could be a lot more at play than "conservatives are more pro choice". There's also the fact that it's a UK poll, where our Conservatives are much less harsh on civil and social rights. It was a Conservative British govt that passed marriage equality, although it got support across the board. The overton window in Britain is in a very different place to where it is in America

Yeah, I realized too late what exactly I was linking too and it wouldn't feel right to just simply remove since well "I posted it" so I can take an "L" for that and left the message on it and all. I do hope the statistics on the other two can be beneficial to this discussion and all unless they've already been linked before in which case.....Whoops on myself.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Yeah, I realized too late what exactly I was linking too and it wouldn't feel right to just simply remove since well "I posted it" so I can take an "L" for that and left the message on it and all. I do hope the statistics on the other two can be beneficial to this discussion and all unless they've already been linked before in which case.....Whoops on myself.

I don't think the first link wasn't valuable, but I think context needs to be applied to it as a resource (and I fully appreciate that you did indeed tell readers to take it with a pinch of salt)

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I think gimmepie's arguments are reasonable even if I may not agree with everything he's said. The thing about pro-choice for me, though, is the belief of "live and let live". Being pro-choice doesn't mean you're pro-abortion, not necessarily. It just means you don't impose your believes on others. I can understand and respect pro-lifers but not when they want to impose their believes on others.

Think of it this way. If it was the other way around how would you feel? If you were negated even the possibility to have offspring? Wouldn't you prefer to be given the choice?

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • "Reasonable" does not even come close to describing Republican views on abortion. Read this article:

https://www.salon.com/2019/12/02/oh...mplant-ectopic-pregnancy-which-is-impossible/

The scariest part about this is that there are actually 19 lawmakers willing to see this abomination signed into law.

Stories like this reassure me, day after day, week after week, that continuing to oppose the Republican Party was the right choice.

Last edited:
    Years
  • "Reasonable" does not even come close to describing Republican views on abortion. Read this article:

Sure, but she was talking about my views and I think I have long since proven I'm no Republican, regardless of what Neil has decided.

I think on the count of not necessarily imposing your beliefs on others, I am quite in line with Isa actually. If, as this thread has done, asked what my stance is, I'm not going to shy away from giving it or defending it, but I don't agree with what the pro-life picketers do any more than I agree with a 100% pro-choice policy. Something interesting I've seen though, even in this thread, is that by and large it's been the pro-life side I've come across that are willing to take Isa's approach. Is this an example of a wider trend? No idea. But it's interesting from an anecdotal perspective.

Back