• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

All about sexuality

Years
    Definitely heterosexual, but once I learned of the term demisexual, I figured that would be a good way to explain my sexuality. I'm only attracted to people of the opposite gender, but I don't really become physically attached to them until I've developed an emotional connection.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Anyway, onto the point of my post. I'm willing to back up Superjub here with the Tumblr thing. As a pretty active user of Tumblr, there do seem to be some people who attach labels to themselves to seem unique and part of a minority.
    I know people do that, I said in my first post that I know people do that. Imagine being in a room where everybody's been asked to discuss the details of their sexuality, then some people decide to yell out in the air "I bet a few of you using this label are just making it up!" it's essentially dismissing everyone at once, this is the online version of that.

But I don't think (s)he's dismissing people who use a particular label. I think (s)he's just making a point concerning Tumblr, one that I avoided earlier to prevent any further conflict that I appeared to be creating.
    I don't think superjub was dismissing anyone. As I said, we aren't on tumblr, dut the disregarding still happens and it seemed like a bit of a stretch to try and compare such a drastic example of some tumblr SJW to this thread. I don't entirely agree with his response, but not disagreeing enough to say anything more on it. Also I started typing my first post before you posted, so don't worry it wasn't all against you.

I know this is a topic that you seem to be very... erm... sensitive(?) about, but there's no need to challenge every little detail in people's posts. They have their opinions and you have yours, just leave it at that (unless if they're being outright offensive, then feel free to just absolutely crush them).
    I'm not sensitive, I just prefer to actually speak my mind when I disagree with something. Sorry I forgot I was just meant to post my answer then leave.

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I know people do that, I said in my first post that I know people do that. Imagine being in a room where everybody's been asked to discuss the details of their sexuality, then some people decide to yell out in the air "I bet a few of you using this label are just making it up!" it's essentially dismissing everyone at once, this is the online version of that.

Obviously not all of them are like that but it's these kinds of people who give it a bad name. :\

I acknowledged very clearly that I know not everyone is like that, and it's more than likely just the vocal minority. I'm not really "dismissing everyone" when I state that they're not all like that.

I don't think superjub was dismissing anyone. As I said, we aren't on tumblr, dut the disregarding still happens and it seemed like a bit of a stretch to try and compare such a drastic example of some tumblr SJW to this thread. I don't entirely agree with his response, but not disagreeing enough to say anything more on it.

I was just discussing some of my observations, and to be honest this isn't just limited to tumblr; I've seen it in various places, although usually social media. To clarify I think there should be more of a distinguished difference between what you're attracted to and perhaps how you're attracted to people. For example, take demisexual. if I just said I'm demisexual, it doesn't really tell anyone a lot about my sexuality since it just means that I need to form a bond with someone before attraction occurs. That's fine, but you can get heterosexual demisexuals, homosexual demisexuals, bisexual demisexuals etc. etc. That's just my PoV though, and if someone said they were a demisexual I wouldn't judge them or treat them any less unless they started acting like a "stereotypical SJW."

I'm not sensitive, I just prefer to actually speak my mind when I disagree with something. Sorry I forgot I was just meant to post my answer then leave.[/QUOTE]

That's the thing though. Nobody is telling you that you have to pick a label, you have a right to reject labels for yourself, absolutely. But to reject the label itself and the people that choose to use it isn't really fair. People have a right to want a label, same as anyone has a right to not want that.

Kinda answered this one in the question above, but yeah, labels are fine. I label myself as gay. I do get people who say I'm not gay, I get people who think it's perfectly fine. Everyone has a different reaction/opinion and that's fine imo as long as it's not outright offensive.

Hope that clarified some things. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017

It was already clear. I said I didn't think you were dismissing, and I wasn't thinking of you as someone in my room example. I'm not sure why it's taken as if it were directed at you. I responded to you, you responded back and we're more or less on the same page.

Years
    I honestly don't care, I'll happily begrudge people their labels lol. If it were just a couple of people that were like "oh I'm extraromantic awesomesexual" then I'd think "oh that's interesting tell me more" but now it's almost everybody and I don't believe that 4 out of 5 people actually have these super special sexualities. I just don't buy it lol.

I'm not denying any of them exist, just not in the great commonality provided by the fashion of the moment.

People who use internet on various sites tend to be minorities, including sexual minorities. I don't think anyone's lying, although there may be a couple people who will one day switch to a different orientation or who have yet to realize what their orientation actually is. You don't really get anything that exciting out of lying about your orientation. Trust me, describing yourself as a sexual minority like "asexual" is perceived in a pretty unflattering way by some to most of the public. It's not something you'd really want to pretend you are. Someone probably has pretended to be x sexuality at some point in the past, but I don't see it as a trend. There's just an overrepresentation of minorities on the internet.

Years
    I am gay but I don't say I'm gay irl because I don't like to put labels on myself. I just say that I like guys. I hate it when people call me their "Gay best friend" or "the gay guy". Just because I like the same gender doesn't mean you have to call me gay for everything. And I also hate when people tell me I need to be more feminine since I'm gay.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    I'm pretty sure I'm straight. Maybe. It might be too early to say, based on what I've heard from others. Either way, whatever it ends up being, I don't really care. Romantic relationships don't interest me at all regardless of gender, so chances are it'll never really matter at all. I wonder if there's a label for that? Who cares.

To be honest, I kind of hope I end up being what you'd call asexual one day. That way I'm sure to avoid romantic relationships. I wonder if it's a choice? Who knows.

Years
    I'm pretty sure I'm straight. Maybe. It might be too early to say, based on what I've heard from others. Either way, whatever it ends up being, I don't really care. Romantic relationships don't interest me at all regardless of gender, so chances are it'll never really matter at all. I wonder if there's a label for that? Who cares.

You're in luck. There is a label for that - it's called aromanticism

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I'm straight. I guess if I wanted to put another label on it I would put demisexual, since I think I'd only feel sexually attracted to someone after I knew them really well. That's what I got from reading this thread.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    I am very straight to the point where I feel like a dog with a bone when I see an attractive woman, but due to discomfort with my body growing up because of being misinformed, I think I suffered trauma and sometimes have an odd feeling or fixation about that part of me hear and there because you tend to repeat or relive what that trauma or anxiety was from earlier in life.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    I'm straight with complete certainty. Yes, my family is very aware about it. I discovered it during primary school when I had a crush on a guy in my class.

Anno

Rinshan Kaihou!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2014
    I think it's probably too early in life for me to figure out/decide if I prefer boys or girls or both or whatever >///<

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm straight. Yes, I know, boring answer.

And the word sexuality often makes me think of this.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
    Hmmmm, well, I can mentally crush on guys, but it can't go any further than that without hitting a brick wall really fast. I've never wanted to get real physical with a guy. GUUHHhh.

I can, however, fall for women, and I'm physically attracted to them. I don't flirt with them as often as I'm tempted too, because it's a safe assumption that plenty of them are straight, haha. I can definitely develop romantic feelings for them, and I get nervous around cute girls, whoops. There's also this really cute transgirl at my workplace, and I'm trying to figure out how to talk to her without seeming like a creeper.

Also, someone is only sexually attractive to me if I'm romantically into them first, though.

You could say I'm a lesbian.

You could also tack the "demisexual" label on to me, if you're into that sorta thing.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    There's also this really cute transgirl at my workplace, and I'm trying to figure out how to talk to her without seeming like a creeper.

Question: why was it necessary here to point out that she's trans? I know my trans friends make a big deal over when people introduce them as trans or make it a part of their identity, as opposed to just "that girl". Why is it so important that she's trans that you have to add a modifier to her gender?

Back