• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] ROM Hacking Newsletter 2008 | Issue 1 - 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
  • Actually, I think a sort of graveyard would be interesting... But instead of focusing on a hack we could focus on... Whatever Happened To...? And it could be either a promised tool, a once well known hacker or a hack that no longer is in production (BTW if EV comes on, what's going on with that TR game? Has production stopped?) We really should have a sort of scrapbook or ideas in case we decide to increase the newsletter's size.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Well, I haven't seen talk of GB or GBC hacks, so I'm assuming it is...
    I assume that's just because there are fewer out there. Most of the editors probably are unaware of GBC hacking in general as well (aside from thethethethe of course). But more the first part.

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • Actually, I think a sort of graveyard would be interesting... But instead of focusing on a hack we could focus on... Whatever Happened To...? And it could be either a promised tool, a once well known hacker or a hack that no longer is in production (BTW if EV comes on, what's going on with that TR game? Has production stopped?) We really should have a sort of scrapbook or ideas in case we decide to increase the newsletter's size.

I stopped working on it, and started mapping and creating ideas for a new hack, but I've not really worked on it. Maybe one day I will showcase it, but most likely not.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • You might need to slightly edit your banner then :P

We could even have interviews where hackers talk about how they gave up due to pressure, not having enough time etc.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Where did you get that idea? There was mention of a GBC script editor a while back. This is about Pokemon Rom Hacking in general. It's as IIMarckus says there just happens to be far more GBC hacks than GB ones.

Actually, I think a sort of graveyard would be interesting... But instead of focusing on a hack we could focus on... Whatever Happened To...? And it could be either a promised tool, a once well known hacker or a hack that no longer is in production (BTW if EV comes on, what's going on with that TR game? Has production stopped?) We really should have a sort of scrapbook or ideas in case we decide to increase the newsletter's size.
    Interviews usually give us that information though don't they? But if ever we run out of segments for RHN that could be an interesting idea.

I assume that's just because there are fewer out there. Most of the editors probably are unaware of GBC hacking in general as well (aside from thethethethe of course). But more the first part.
    Yeah, you're exactly right, thats why I've stayed away from reviewing non-GBA hacks I just wouldn't know how to rate it having never hacked those generations before. I was hoping thethethethe would do one but there doesn't seem to be any new GBC/GB hacks in production at least none that I am aware of. You may see a review of Brown in the near future though.

Years
  • I was hoping thethethethe would do one but there doesn't seem to be any new GBC/GB hacks in production at least none that I am aware of.
    Waiting for a proper Plasma Red alpha/beta... Nobody say there's already one. It only has extremely minor gameplay at this stage.

But I was thinking about the reviewing of past hacks. They would be very hard to review. For example, if I were to go off and review Pokemon Quartz right now, I would probably rate it quite poorly. It's just that they were in a different context of time, where knowledge of hacking certain ROM's could have been much more limited.
    To do this we'd need to compare it to hacks that were created in that time frame that the hack appeared in.
    I like the idea, I just think it could be quite difficult to actually go through with and do it well.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • Fair enough, but aren't there people who just don't appear any more?

As for any GBC hacks, I'd never be able to do one because I'm too much of a graphics freak :P Although Cooley will probably kill me now.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • I think he means those that have started recently (the word 'new'). I'm sure we will eventually do a review of Prism, but it'll have to be by someone who's played it a bit.

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
    Years
  • I think he means those that have started recently (the word 'new'). I'm sure we will eventually do a review of Prism, but it'll have to be by someone who's played it a bit.

*coughs* Pokemon Brown *cough*

Unless this is a GBA-only newsletter XD

Assumptions are a terrible idea. We do what we do for a reason, and it's deff. not because we don't know the GBC/GB hacks exist. For a hack like "Pokemon Prism", wouldn't it be a good idea to wait for a major release so we don't end up doing 2 or 3 different reviews on 2 or 3 different occasions?? Just throwing that out there... XD

Years
  • Fair enough, but aren't there people who just don't appear any more?
    You may something related to that soon. ;)
    For a hack like "Pokemon Prism", wouldn't it be a good idea to wait for a major release so we don't end up doing 2 or 3 different reviews on 2 or 3 different occasions?? Just throwing that out there... XD
    It's also why I haven't reviewed a hack like Shiny Gold, Genesis, Prism, any DJG hack, etc. Honestly who wants to read about these, we all know they are quite reliable if you want a good game to play through. But I'd rather review a hack few notice. Something that doesn't get a post in it every hour or so. Who knows what you might find in these hacks.
    They'll probably still be reviewed some day, but I think they've already got more than enough attention.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Rom Hacking Newsletter
    Issue 9 - Sunday, 26 October 2008
    Introduction
    Opening words

I just realised that I haven't given proper credit to people for some of the ideas I've borrowed for RHN. Most of the credit goes to Haruki Hanai (Hiroshi Sotomura), many of the segments that RHN has now were taken from his own newsletter from way back. The interview, tips and tricks, hack reviews and hacking news were all once regular parts of Haruki's newsletter. Thanks also to Martin for his CSS layout which gave inspiration for my own layout. Thanks to EarthsVisitor for the QotW and Beginner's Corner segments and thanks to you for reading our weekly newsletter, you guys are the driving force behind this newsletter. I'd also like to give special thanks to those who have been supporting RHN from the very beginning.

We've got a new segment (that was promised for last week) this week; Beginners Corner. It'll be like a Tips and Tricks for beginners so have a read of it. We've also got QotW if EV logs in where we ask a random group of hackers about hacking. Apart from that, we've got all the usual stuff, RHN sure has gotten big hasn't it?
    Article by dshayabusa

Hacking News
    Staying current with the rom hacking scene

Darth's Ulitmate TileMap Editor

Darthatron has been working hard on his TileMap Editor to rule all TileMap Editors so I asked him for a little more information about it. He gave a small list of features.
    » Ability to save as 8bbp, or 4bbp without having to redraw your tilemap.
    » Ability to resize your tilemap without tiles being removed.
    » "Palette Editor" mode.
    » Export your tilemap as an image.
    » Import an image to be converted to a tilemap and a tileset.
    » (to be perfected) Bigger-Block selection (like a stamp).

A release should be somewhere around December.

Evolution of Hacking
    This is a little late but, Kike-Scott has started a new thread called "Evolution of Hacking" and has sparked a very interesting discussion on the direction hacking is taking today. Take a look and maybe post you're opinions on the subject.

Hack Rating System
    RHN will follows a standardised rating system similar to that of IGN, ratings and their meanings are described below.
    Spoiler:

Question of the Week
    Same Question, Different Opinions

"What is your favorite aspect of hacking, and why?"​
    Esmas/Infernal Contraption
    My favorite aspect of hacking would have to be the flexibility of it. Although considering I know how flexible game making is, ROM hacking is less difficult to change to your likings, in my opinion. I also like how everything, such as a battle system, graphics, menus, etc. are given to you by default. These are also not very difficult to change.

Britney Spears
    My favorite aspect of ROM hacking is writing an interesting, rapidly evolving plot. Creating interesting characters and fun twists in the plot is more exciting to me than learning to script or insert tiles. I also enjoy mapping, but often find myself more frustrated than anything when it comes to anything technical. Give me a pen, some paper, and some time, and I assure you I'll enjoy myself.

Virtual Chatot
    Oh well, my favorite aspect of hacking would have to be the sense of achievement that you get when you're done adding new tiles, and you are ready to start mapping. Nothing in ROM hacking has ever made me happier than when I pull up my favorite ROM and then just start mapping away. It may seem kind of cliche or "noobish" of me to say so, but hey, the player never actually sees the work done behind the scenes, all they see is what is presented to them.

Hiidoran
    I suppose my favorite aspect of ROM hacking would have to be scripting. The logic based thought processes behind scripting are quite entertaining to me. I love having an idea for a dialogue or event and just being able to sit down and really try to script it out. To me, the process of typing up a script is a very creative one, but it is creativity within reason. Creativity within reason is the best kind of creativity
    Organised by EarthsVisitor

HOTW Winner
    Spotlight on the Hack of the Week

Pokémon Breakdown [Link]
    Hack Author: Satoshi Sugimori
    Reviewed By: thethethethe

"Pokémon Breakdown" has returned from the grave to win the 33rd unofficial "Hack of the Week". After his short leave, Satoshi Sugimori returned to do something I find quite admirable. He continued his unfinished work that was "Pokémon Breakdown".
    To start, I think some palettes need to be changed, or the tiles need to be changed to suit the palettes he has chosen to use. Some tiles appear out of place in their current colour scheme. The 'theme' of the indoor palettes need to match the outdoor palettes. Going from the vibrant original palettes seen indoors to the dull, Autumn-ish colours of the outdoor palettes don't look suitable.
    One new sprite is viewable and that sprite needs some changing. The 'new' professor appears as if Professor Oak had some clip art images pasted on his head. Not very appealing at all.
    Judging from screenshots, the scripting seems fairly well done, but without a playable release or some videos, that could be quite misleading. That being said, I won't be making any final opinions about this hack.
    Article by thethethethe

Pokémon Ruby Dagger Murders [Link]
    Hack Author: Britney Spears
    Reviewed By: thethethethe

And the winner of Hack of the Week #34 is... Pokémon Ruby Dagger Murders by Britney Spears. With all the planning that is shown, this hack deserved the award.
    For the average Pokémon hack it has quite the peculiar storyline of corruption and Ruby Encrusted Murders. I don't think this is like much we've seen before. I'm just hoping is that the gameplay can keep up with its original storyline and will not be lost when going from paper to ROM.
    There is something about this hack I don't like to see, and that's where it seems like the 'owner' of only active in mapping. I think that if you want to make a hack, you should have at least general skills of scripting and mapping. Although, even if Britney Spears lacks in scripting ability, he has found himself a good scripter to utilise. With dshayabusa scripting, we can know that the scripting will be something worth looking at.
    This is one hack that I'm looking forward to, and I recommend others keep one eye on it as well.
    Article by thethethethe

Pokémon Twilight: Road to Dreams [Link]
    Hack Author: Kaizer-X
    Reviewed By: dshayabusa

Twilight: Road to Dreams is the first hack by Kaizer-X and it looks to be a promising one. This is one of those hacks that is above average in all aspects but not spectacular... yet. It reminds me of when I first started Genesis though much better by comparison. My biggest complaint would have to be the rom base but I know how tempting it is to use a rom base when you first start out and its something that can easily be changed later.
    The starters are quite interesting, Cranidos and Shieldon. Both will amp up the difficulty, hopefully not annoyingly so. Unlike most teams, the leader Kaizer-X both maps and scripts. I think its important for the lead developer to be doing most of the work. Otherwise the hack can end up awkward with the mapping being at odds with the scripting. I definitely recommend keeping a close eye on this one, it definitely has potential to become a great and completed hack.
    Article by dshayabusa

Hack Review
    Hacks in review

Pokémon Genesis [Link]
    Hack Author: dshayabusa
    Reviewed By: Ripper
    Reviewer's Rating: 8.5/10

It's refreshing to see a hack on the Community that is both imaginative and also fun to play. What Dshayabusa has created with Pokémon Genesis is a very appealing game that is innovative enough to eventually go down as one of the great hacks in Pokémon history.

The plot differs from the traditional Pokémon game in that, although you still journey across the region earning badges and beating up an evil team, the player actually has some (small) relation to the team. This offers an interesting twist as now and again you'll see a relative of your pop up and it'll make you think, what's he up to?

The maps within Genesis are all fairly original, occasionally there's an oddly square shaped area (I'm looking at you Latim City) but sometime it seems fitting to have generic towns. The tiles have been edited slightly, with some colours being mixed and matched along with the occasional completely new tile such as the huge Latim National Library.

Whenever I first play a hack I try and compare it with an original game, Genesis seems to remind me most of Pokémon Gold and Silver due to the structure the game follows. It seems new and original, but also creates a mysterious atmosphere.

As with all hacks, Genesis has a few bugs, but none that make the game unplayable. The scripts are all new and only occasionally are there errors (grammatical or otherwise), there are even a few scripts that change the game in small ways. Unfortunately, there are one or two possible glitches that prevent further movement within the game unless you cheat or hack the hack.

Another fairly common enhancement hacks are receiving nowadays is the introduction of a few Sinnoh Pokémon. Personally I've only come across three or four (all 'mineral' Pokémon) but I'm sure in future betas there will be more to catch and train.

If what you're looking for is an enjoyable, lengthy, original hack then look no further than Pokémon Genesis. It will only get better.
    Article by Ripper

Pokémon Shrouded Chaos [Link]
    Hack Author: +Sneasel
    Reviewed By: Kaizer-X
    Reviewer's Rating: 6.5/10

Shrouded Chaos? Gulp! From the title the first thing that comes to my mind is dead bodies and chaos. But I was wrong, there is no bodies to be found but the hack can be describe as chaotic since every trainer you met wants to steal someone else's Pokemon and Mewtwo wants to kill you for no reason.

The plotlines of the hack are really interesting. A champion trainer turn researcher then decides start a new journey in a new region. I really like the part about the Dark Totodile. It is very original and it captures the players attention as injecting Abra's DNA into Totodile creates suspense in the game as it is an unknown phenomenon to occur in the Pokemon world.

The scripts, in my opinion are really good; the starting event is a really good way to start the game as it draws the player attention as catching Mewtwo without fighting it is not a simple feat, unless you got a master ball at the start. The other events are also neatly scripted including the event with Skarmory and the trees. Also not forgetting the Nurse Joy event which I found to be hilarious. Imagine Nurse Joy jumping over the counter, funny but creative thinking on that part. Some problems which I see are the few grammars mistakes which spoil some of the scripts and it are hard to understand.

The Overworlds of Mewtwo, Skarmory and Charizard are terrific although Mewtwo may be a little too big. The introduction of the Fakemon also may be the good point of the hack. Although I am not a big fan of Fakemons, I can give a pass to Mechshark and the weird and evil-looking Totodile.

The maps though are not the best that I have seen. Some of the maps are too empty especially the towns and you can't go into many of the houses which I think are unfinished. The new tree tiles are a nice addition to the hack but I don't like the grass tiles which look like weeds to me. But some of the maps are really interesting; the first map going to the cave after the town reminds me of a forest in an RPG game on PS1 which I used to play before. (Ah, the good old days)

Overall the beta is short but enjoyable nevertheless. What I would like to see is improvent in areas like mapping. If you are bored or wants to see some quality scripts at work, you should give this hack a try. Hopefully +Sneasel™/itman1234 will continue working on this hack as it has potential.
    Article by Kaizer-X

Tips and Tricks
    A cool new trick that you may not have known about

Since theres been a push for the use of hex lately I thought it would be appropriate to make this weeks Tip on just that; Hex. Namely finding pointers which is something every hacker should know.

Finding pointers
    First of all, what are pointers? Pointers are used in GBA roms to access different different parts of the rom by its address. Another word for address is offset.

So, to find a pointer just rearrange the byte order of the address from the front and at the end is <08> to end that it is a pointer.

So if we had the HEX address (not decimal) 012345 you just reverse the byte order as follows <01> <23> <45> and turn it to <45> <23> <01> <08>(to end, it also helps search to make sure you are only editing a pointer).

For an address like 800456 the pointer is 56 04 80 08 etc. Just play around with it and you will get it. This may not seem like much but this actually a very powerful skill. Addresses are unique, you can use this method to find the pointer to anything. I know what you're thinking, what if theres some random data (like an image) has the EXACT same values as a pointer. Although it is theoretically possible, there is a very small chance. In 5 bytes where each has 256 different possible values there is a 1 in 4294967295 of it happening.
    Tip donated by jazz

Interview
    An in-depth chat with...
    Spoiler:
    Interview by thethethethe

Closing Notes
    Some house keeping

If you're wondering who jazz is (from Tips and Tricks) I have no idea. I just happened to have a document on finding pointers in my hacking folder and since I'm lazy I used some of his document for the tutorial.

So I hope everyone liked this weeks issue. Keep on reading and keep on commenting.
    Closing by dshayabusa
    CSS design and graphics by dshayabusa. Ask for permission if you want to use them!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Um..you added Pokémon Breakdown's review in Twilight: Road to Dreams also. xD

Dratii

Working on something new...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Great as always Dshayabusa,
    But some the new articles you spoke about up the top aren't there, are they still being done?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Wow. :)
    I really like the newsletter today...
    But, at first sight I was like "OMG it's a looooooooong newsletter!!! :shocked:" but it was fun to read (but I still find it short. :\ oh well...)...

The interview was fun to read. :)

the HotW section has three reviews! neat! :D
    Breakdown has been a good hack, and still is. :)

well, overall, the newsletter today is really great.
    great job for the RHN Team. ;)
    Keep up the great work~

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Great as always Dshayabusa,
    But some the new articles you spoke about up the top aren't there, are they still being done?

I haven't had a response from EarthsVisitor so QotW isn't done yet. I had a Beginner's Corner written up but I guess I must have accidentally deleted the latest version from my Inbox (I was cleaning it).

I think it was long enough without those two for this issue anyway.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • nice newsletter like always
    i got to apologize for not making the map review in time, i was going to do it on firday or saturday but my plans were destroyed by some real life problems...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back