• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I'm not sure that what you want to do is possible, as that would make the ROM very unstable, but I'm not much of an expert at ROM sizes and stuff like that, just the inner ROM itself and editing it. Sorry.

This might look as spam... But actualy it answer your qusten.... 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Years
how do you extend a rom i.e make a 16mb rom 32mb for more space..... i need this for a rom hack i am working on
You can't. Unless you want to try and change the way the pointer system works, you won't be able to do this. If you don't know, the pointers that point to where everything is, can only use a 4 byte pointer, which works like this 08xxxxxx, and if you extend beyond the end of the rom (0xFFFFFF), you probably won't be able to point to anything.
Wait... rbc file?

I'm getting the impression I should have a script already, before I even begin to USE pokescript.

All I want is to be able to look at and change the coding that makes up the fire red rom directly, without necessarily using tools like advance mart. Is PokeScript the way to do that? Or is it just Hex...
If it IS PokeScript, where do I FIRST access that script? I bolded the part I'm referring to: I don't HAVE any script yet, that's what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to access the fire red script.

Thanks for your prolonged help though, Sakujo

Try using Scriptdec, or get a copy of XSE for the decompiling of scripts. Pokescript supposedly has the functionality to decompile scripts, but no-one seems to know how to use it.
OR you could try and learn to script in hex:P.

EDIT: Just in case, you don't understand, decompiling scripts just means viewing the scripts already in the rom.

Yamishin

The Voice Inside Your Head
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 10, 2009
Trainer Back Sprite Index

I know this has most definetally been asked before, but the search function is being extremely slow, and I think just asking this would be faster than combing the whole forum, but:

What is the index of the male trainer back sprites in unLZ-GBA for FireRed?
I can find the palette on my own, that's the easy part ;D

rusticolus

Grass/Flying
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 19, 2023
Aaaah… okay… thanks both of you. I had a feeling that hex was the way to go.
I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a more user-friendly way to do it before I jump in the deep end and begin picking up hex.
Anyway… off to the hex tutorials I go…

Thanks for your help.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
Okay, I'll have a look. Thanks for the quick response :)

New Question and thus a new post:

Occasioanlly I get a problem where I can't remove connections. What is the reason for this and how can I fix it?

Last edited:

Teh Baro

In my times...!
Years
I'm not sure that it's possible to change the text in FireRed, because it is not supported.

They're not supported in Fonted, but they are in the rom of course.
You just have to search in Tilemolester, tlp, etc. Remember it's 4 colours

Lupe

isn't she cute...
Years
They're not supported in Fonted, but they are in the rom of course.
You just have to search in Tilemolester, tlp, etc. Remember it's 4 colours

you mean each letter has 4 colors even if you import the text's original pallete?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011
I've a little question.

When I edit my Roms, I've to see what the results are. So I do "New Game". But now I'm a bit further in the with hacking, so that "New Game" isn't so handy anymore.

Are there any other ways to check your results quickly??

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2009
How can I replace pokemons icons? I tried with pokepic, but they just didn't save and Unzl thing didn't have them.

Years
  • Seen May 22, 2010
okay, I have a few problems with some tools. I tried searching but could not find answers to these problems.
1. With Overworld Editor, im editing sprites on FR. When I go to import a pallete from another sprite, not only does it change that sprite, but several others as well. Now Prof. Oak has yellow hair, am I doing anything wrong?
2. I also need to change in battle sprites for the gym leaders. Im using PET to do this, the file type that the sprites are currently saved under won't allow me to use certain colors in MS paint, so I switched it to PNG which worked fine. Until PET didn't recognize the file and I had to convert the PNG back to a bitmap which screwed all the colors up again. Is there a way to allow PET to recognize PNG files or a way to fix the color problem with bitmaps?
3. Finally, Im trying to add music to my hack. I was able to convert the midi file to .s, but when I try to load my ROM in Sappy, it says "Sappy has stopped working" and closes itself. Is there any possible way to fix this.
sorry for the bother, but I really have my heart set on completing this hack. if you have any information please feel free to share. and im not in any hurry either, so take you're time. thank you!

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2008
Ok, here is my simple(?) question.

I am using advance text and advance map.

I want to make a signpost that says something.

I know you have to make a signpost, then take the offset and put it in advance text, BUT! I don't know where to get the offset.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:

Also, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I don't want to look through all of the pages...

Last edited:

Yamishin

The Voice Inside Your Head
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 10, 2009
okay, I have a few problems with some tools. I tried searching but could not find answers to these problems.
1. With Overworld Editor, im editing sprites on FR. When I go to import a pallete from another sprite, not only does it change that sprite, but several others as well. Now Prof. Oak has yellow hair, am I doing anything wrong?
2. I also need to change in battle sprites for the gym leaders. Im using PET to do this, the file type that the sprites are currently saved under won't allow me to use certain colors in MS paint, so I switched it to PNG which worked fine. Until PET didn't recognize the file and I had to convert the PNG back to a bitmap which screwed all the colors up again. Is there a way to allow PET to recognize PNG files or a way to fix the color problem with bitmaps?
3. Finally, Im trying to add music to my hack. I was able to convert the midi file to .s, but when I try to load my ROM in Sappy, it says "Sappy has stopped working" and closes itself. Is there any possible way to fix this.
sorry for the bother, but I really have my heart set on completing this hack. if you have any information please feel free to share. and im not in any hurry either, so take you're time. thank you!

Well, I can help you with #1 and 2: The palletes are shared between some sprites, so changing one will change all others that share it. For example, the Strength rock and the hiker in FR share the same palette, and the male protagonist and the emotion bubbles share the same palette. It's less common for non-overworlds to share palettes, but they do. Make sure your colors will work for any sprites that share the palette.

Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2011

...I know you have to make a signpost, then take the offset and put it in advance text, BUT! I don't know where to get the offset...

You should try Advance-map. Go to Events view. Add a signpost-event. And give it the offset. Then it should work fine!

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
A Few Quick Questions:
1) Occasioanlly I get a problem where I can't remove connections. What is the reason for this and how can I fix it?
2) How do you change the text that is there at the start of every 'New Game' on Fire Red and Leaf Green? I'm talking about 'Welcome to the World of Pokemon' stuff which is on a Pikachu decorated notepad.
3) How do you edit the sr=tart up text? (2004 Productions Nintendo and the sorts)

Thanks!

Years
OK, here's my question:

How do you compile a script using ScriptEd? I've tried putting ScriptEd, my script and the rom in the same directory and when I click on compile, it just gives me this error:
Code:
Run-time error '53':

File not found

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

2) How do you change the text that is there at the start of every 'New Game' on Fire Red and Leaf Green? I'm talking about 'Welcome to the World of Pokemon' stuff which is on a Pikachu decorated notepad.
Use Advance-Text.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2009
I have tried looking for hours now, but I can't find IconEd, where can I get it or could someone send it to me plz?

Years
  • Seen May 22, 2010
Well, I can help you with #1 and 2: The palletes are shared between some sprites, so changing one will change all others that share it. For example, the Strength rock and the hiker in FR share the same palette, and the male protagonist and the emotion bubbles share the same palette. It's less common for non-overworlds to share palettes, but they do. Make sure your colors will work for any sprites that share the palette.

thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I can get it to work right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back