• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are Shiny Pokemon really worth the effort?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • I've seen people go all crazy about Shiny Pokemon, how cool they are & how they are must haves & stuff.

There are many methods out there to get Shiny Pokemon, like the Chaining Method, the Masuda method for Breeding Pokemon etc., but still the odds are really low.

My question is, are they really worth all the effort? Its not like Shiny Pokemon are any more powerful than a Normal Pokemon, I mean they have the exact same stats, nor are their movesets any different. The only difference is their colour. So why are they so (over) hyped?

What do you guys think?

Pika Pika :chu:

pkmin3033

Personally I don't think so, but despite my patience for grinding in general, that patience evaporates entirely if I don't get anywhere: I need results immediately, making me ill-suited to play with the Random Number God which finding shinies relies on.

There are a lot of shiny Pokemon with much nicer colouration than the default, which I guess is why they're worth it to some people, but personally I don't think they're worth the effort you need to put into getting them. I prefer to leave it up to chance~

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
  • In my opinion, I, too, do not think so..... Yeah, I know they are cool, but, it is hard to find a shiny.

For those who finished the game, yes, they can Shiny Hunt if they want more.

Remember, this is only my opinion.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • It's totally worth the effort for me 8)

I love shinies. I especially like having shiny forms of my favorite Pokemon. I even enjoy hunting for them! There's a lot of different ways you can go about it, and while all of them take time and patience, it feels so good when it all pays off and you finally get the shiny you've been wanting ^^

Another advantage of having shinies that may be relevant to some is, they're valuable for trading. Lots of people will trade you really strong/rare Pokemon if you offer a shiny in exchange. So if there's a really rare event Pokemon that you want, for example, shiny hunting is probably your best chance at getting your hands on it (that, or just waiting for the next event, but who knows when that will be?)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Masuda Method chances are actually pretty high and it takes usually couple of hours for me to breed one. It's totally worth the effort.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I personally don't go out of my way to find them, but when they do appear, it's a nice treat.

Once I get my shiny charm, I think I'm going to start using the Masuda Method to get some shinies that I think would look nice.

Years
  • It honestly depends. If I manage to breed my own one, than it means a lot to me. But if I trade a clone or trade for a shiny I won it doesn't feel the same, since I didn't really work for it myself.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • I enjoy the surprise of finding a random shiny. I used Masuda Method one time for my shiny Azumarill, and even went through the trouble of getting good IVs, egg moves, and a preferable nature onto it. I'm happy with the results, but probably will never do that for another shiny. It kinda burnt me out on shinies.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I think it's worth it but then again after playing Pokemon for so long going shiny hunting is just another challenge for me.

Years
  • If it's worth the effort really depends on you and if you want one. The reason that they're hyped over is because they're harder to find than your average everyday Pokemon, like Legendaries and Event Pokemon, and so getting one is like "Hey, I have a Shiny! I took the time to find one!" Other times, the Shiny Pokemon just look better than the normal version.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    As people have said Rare = Valuable so a lot of people want them.

For me unless I bred them i'm not too fussed and even then I only want the shinies I aim for with nice colours. Shiny Charizard and Shiny Greninja look brilliant so those are the two I have bred for.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    To me, Pokémon that do look good in their shiny form--a couple would be Ninetales and Metagross--are the ones I consider to be worth getting. As for rest, although it'd be nice to run into them, I wouldn't go out of my way to specifically find them.

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
    Years
  • In all honesty, I'd say that shiny Pokemon are essentially worthless and only serve as tradebait in 99/9% of situations. Since the GTS was introduced in Gen 4, shiny Pokemon have been absolutely ruined because of hackers and exploiters.

Using economic logic, because of the sheer amount of shiny Pokemon that exist and the fact that they have no value outside of being different, we can see that inflation and lack of value have rendered shiny Pokemon to be completely pointless.

Years
  • Shiny Pokemon are great and all, but there's a lot whose colour difference is very minimal compared to the original making it not very worthy compared to ones with more drastic differences. Also, people just love to bribe those on the GTS by trying to get them to trade shinies even when they don't have one, like a certain PC user I know whose Slowpoke got lost due to such an issue.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    If you find one out in the wild then sure, it's worth it. I wouldn't spend like 4 hours doing nothing but hatching eggs just to get a shiny though.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I remember getting super excited when I found a shiny Gligar in the wild by accident, but I didn't go out of my way to find that one.

I think it might be fun to try doing something like PokeRadar chaining or chain fishing to find a shiny, just to see if I have any luck. I tried Masuda Method for a shiny Piplup, but I got too impatient and I ended up with 30 Piplup I didn't need and had no home. :(

It depends on the shiny too. If it's an accidental encounter than it doesn't matter to me what the shiny is, it will always be worth it to me since I didn't waste ten billions years trying to find it. If I'm going out of my way to find it, like using the above methods, I'd want it to be one I liked because I'm spending actual time on this shiny.

At a certain point though I'd get impatient and give up, like I did when I was breeding for the Piplup. At some point I decide enough is enough and find something more productive to do with my Pokemon time.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I like wild shinies! I'll absentmindedly chain while training, but that's as far as I'll go for increasing my chances for them. I like the rarity. Also I'm one of those dummies who feel bad breeding tons and tons of mon only to release them. ;m;

Back