• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Are you impressed so far?

yonicstudios

Game Developer
Years
  • Overall, I'm not that impressed, but there are things here and there that I'm expectant on, like in the story and the region design; and the transfering limitations was something that impressed me, but not in a good way.
    Nevertheless, I'm not displeased either.

Like Dawn said, Game Freak clearly has a serious problem with the scope of production for these games. They've bumped it up largely in X and Y, and now with the Wild Area and other expanse areas with these games, and that's not counting their Town project, which means their development team was cut in half.
    My guess for Game Freak's excuses is that they are meant to be white lies to keep shareholders happy, because there's nothing that screams insecurity more than "we're having problems with the production of these games". Unlike Nintendo, Game Freak has put investors and The Pokémon Company first, and fans second.

If anything, I'm mostly saddened because fans have started heavily crititizing the game for issues with them to justify that GF is "lazy", when they're actually more like "tied up", at least from my perspective as a game dev. It's not giving the games a good image, and their experience with the game will have some bitter aftertaste because of that.

Will I get the game right away? I highly doubt it. Nothing so far hasn't made me want to spend money on it as soon as it gets out, especially now that the price tag is higher and I don't have much more time to actually play games.
    Besides, I like to skip one generation ever since Gen III and then play it years after they were actually released to avoid getting a repetitive experience.

Kokonoé1

Demon Overlord Top
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 27, 2019
    I don't need to be impressed. Pokemon is Pokemon, and I applaud Gamefreak for sticking to their roots instead of following the AAA cesspool.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I don't need to be impressed. Pokemon is Pokemon, and I applaud Gamefreak for sticking to their roots instead of following the AAA cesspool.
    What do you mean by this? As in, what do you define to be the 'AAA cesspool'?

Arguably sticking to a yearly release cycle for the last while is a AAA... drawback for many franchises, after all.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Very excited!

Granted, I don't expect these will be the end-all of Pokemon games. I'm sure there is a lot of downward pressure on Game Freak to release a Pokemon title within the first two years of the Switch's release. But this game will be a solid foundation to build on in the coming years.

So far, the world looks stunning. I cannot wait to play. The battling could use some more life. It doesn't quite feel like they're pushing the Switch to its limit in that regard. But I'm confident that will change in time.

I've also never been bothered by the lack of nat dex in the games, which I figure is still (and will continue to be) one of the most polarizing aspects of the games.

If I could buy them right now, I would.

Last edited:

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • I'm not impressed at all, I was really looking forward to these titles after having found the latest two generations quite forgettable but nothing so far makes me think it's any different than those - if not even worse, in some aspects (like Dynamax vs. Megas, like Galar being so linear, the no National Dex thing which aside from the issues generally talked about to me also points out the fact that once again likely there won't be any worthwhile postgame at all like gen 4 and 5 had).

Though honestly I could have had a neutral opinion at least on these titles if only the excuse for such cuts was that there are "better animations", which are nowhere to be seen imho. Sure the graphics look somewhat better but only in the closed areas like the city in the recent video, the open world parts shown so far look terribly bland and void. There are Switch titles that look a lot better, and SwSh will also release closer to the end of the system's third year, so that it looks even worse in the comparison with other titles (at least that's what impressed me about SwSh in the E3 direct - and definitely it was not a positive impression). The point that it's a huge jump for GF to a home console imho doesn't even stand much, given that "getting confidence with the new system" was one of the reasons they cited for justifying LGPE.

On the positive side of things, I like the gym leaders' designs and most new Pokémon revealed... and really that's it. I'm definitely not going to buy it at launch and I'm thinking that I'll likely get it used if/when there'll be info about a third version. Had it been in a Wii U-like drought of titles I could have given it a chance but the Switch's situation in the coming months is quite the opposite to me, and while on a tight budget I really don't feel like getting a game which so far seems that I'd enjoy less than replaying any gen 4 or 5 one.

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2020
    I am disappointed. If they atleast kept mega evolutions, gave it the same graphics and models as let see go then I would focus on all the positives if I somehow received it. I was actually looking forward on going on another Pokémon adventure.
    Jeez!, I would rather be gifted a gen 4, 5 game aswel as soulsilver and a ds mystery dudgeon game from somone than receive sword or shield as a gift.
    And I don't even care about national dex

Last edited:

Illyasviel

video game hustler
    Years
  • What do you mean by this? As in, what do you define to be the 'AAA cesspool'?

Arguably sticking to a yearly release cycle for the last while is a AAA... drawback for many franchises, after all.

This... was my thought process exactly.
    Gamefreak's not an indie company. Pokémon runs on a yearly release schedule and sells for the AAA game price. It's also the highest grossing media franchise in the world.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • To be honest, i'm excited just because this is a new pokemon game. But there are many disappointments as well, mainly the 'dex being cut short and game freak's refrain from bringing new mega evolutions(which, imo are one of,If not the best mechanisms of the battles). At the same time, it cannot be forgotten that these games too will be responsible for shaping childhoods and opening the gateway to a new world for many kids, a world that we all share.

Years
  • The more I see/learn about these titles the less impressed I am tbh. I would even go as far as to say that I'm disappointed with Sword and Shield. I definitely won't buy the games on release day, maybe in the future I'll buy them used but I'm not sure.

Plus-Sized Scribe

Cry Creator and Whovian
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Okay, so, I'm still going to buy them, but if they aren't any good - and it seems like they might not be - I'll definitely be rethinking my position as a financial consumer of the Pokemon series. And that's the thing... the Pokemon in these games look great, but the games themselves look phoned in and the deficiencies aren't even being obfuscated well; they're just throwing out bald-faced lies.

Also, I'm indifferent to Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing. They're not doing great things around the ideas, but as far as the ideas themselves go, it's not necessarily bad. A lot of GF's stuff shares some DNA with classic Ultraman, and the kaiju aspect gels with that. It's logical, if not especially inspired.

pkmin3033

Honestly I wouldn't consider Pokemon games AAA either, even though they bloody well ought to be - Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise in existence (and even if most of that is merch, the point still stands, because it's a franchise; it's not segregated...or it shouldn't be) and Game Freak should have a AAA budget to work with when making Pokemon titles. If it were any other company besides TPC, the budget would be insane. Everything would be going into these games from literally any other company. These are AAA titles with a staggering lack of resources, resorting in unacceptable cuts, a horrible mix of quality (like amazing attack animations...anchored from a fixed point so it looks to come from a Pokemon's shoulder?) and a general lack of quality and care that should not be associated with Nintendo, who have always made a point of prioritising quality and care.

Game Freak sticking to their guns is not good here in some respects, because it means understaffing (half their dev team is working on Town, and the trailers for that clearly show where the attention has been), a painful lack of outsourcing to meet basic quality standards - because there is NO EXCUSE for the lack of National Dex with those resources at their fingertips; they could easily hire others to do it for them, and this is standard industry practice for bigger studios, bigger companies will hire smaller teams from elsewhere for just one thing! - and low quality visuals, animation, and standards. It means, basically, the exact same titles we've had since Red and Blue, with a slight upscale to reflect the hardware change...but NOT pushing that hardware to its limits, as they should.

Game Freak SHOULD be dipping their toes (or should be allowed to) in the "AAA cesspool" a lot more than they are, because it would mean better quality titles. They don't HAVE to introduce overpriced DLC, lootboxes, microtransactions, and all the rest to make up the cost, because this is Pokemon - they are going to easily make a profit on this irrespective of how big the budget is. Being AAA does not have to mean trying to squeeze as much money out of the customer as possible. Being AAA means more money, and even if TPC and GF want to pretend it's not, Pokemon IS a AAA franchise, so the main games should be AAA quality titles. It's a deliberate choice to implement scummy monetization practices in AAA titles, it's not a requirement. But Game Freak absolutely need the time, money, and manpower to make the Pokemon games we deserve. There is no excuse for them not to have that.

I actually feel sorry for Game Freak - I would hate to be in their position. They're part of the largest media franchise in existence and rather than getting a front-and-center seat at the banquet, they're being tied up in the corner of the room and occasionally thrown bones to gnaw on. Because TPC are more interested in making money than they are in making quality products, because they can get away with it. THAT is the epitome of a AAA attitude. Less money, more profit.

Years
  • just wake me up when trainer models can finally crane their necks instead of their whole body rotating towards you like a bloody dreidel.

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I'm excited for them and impressed. Personally I could care less about the cute to the dex/megas/zmoves (i hated z moves so badly) as i used to play competitive and the growing sex recked meta since there was such a large numver of pokemon and if you really didnt have a pick of 10 specific pokemon (sometimes 2 of which legendary) you really werent going to have even half a chance online. It got really dang old after a while and actually drove me away from any form of online battle. The cut dex, which I initially hoped for in Gen 7 should make that more balanced I hope.

Could they have kept megas, yes but they didnt and thats that, who knows they may be back later. Now for dynamaxing and gigantamaxing, they've grown on me, makes me think of the original anime with the dang giant Dragonite.

Last edited:

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • I'm excited for them and impressed. Personally I could care less about the cute to the dex/megas/zmoves (i hated z moves so badly) as i used to play competitive and the growing sex recked meta since there was such a large numver of pokemon and if you really didnt have a pick of 10 specific pokemon (sometimes 2 of which legendary) you really werent going to have even half a chance online. It got really dang old after a while and actually drove me away from any form of online battle. The cut dex, which I initially hoped for in Gen 7 should make that more balanced I hope.

Could they have kept megas, yes but they didnt and thats that, who knows they may be back later. Now for dynamaxing and gigantamaxing, they've grown on me, makes me think of the original anime with the dang giant Dragonite.

The problem I have with that take is that it reduces the availability of counters to a specific Pokémon. Not to mention there's tiers. Trying to balance a game like Pokémon at the actual mechanical level is a silly thing to do, so them using that as an excuse just feels forced.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • There were always Pokemon dominating the meta in gen 1 or 2 or whatnot, and even in cases when VGC was limited to a region's dex (e.g. first year of gen 7, gen 6, etc...) you'd still have imbalance. This won't fix that issue, imo.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Big sports fan, and Pokemon tends to be like the 2k sports games, or sports in general. Same old same......but it is entertaining nonetheless. So yes, I am impressed.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    No. As of now my plan is to wait till it comes out and see how people feel about it after it has been out awhile.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • List of things I am disappointed with:

-ANOTHER Normal/Dark variant of a route 1 mammal. Why again? I don't care if this one can evolve, why dark again? Why not something new? If we get a third Normal/Dark version of a route 1 creature in gen9, I will lose it.

-The programmer's refusal to reveal starter evos.

-The fact that trainer customisation is back but I won't be using it because I'm not interested in it outside of XY

I am impressed with everything else.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    ANOTHER Normal/Dark variant of a route 1 mammal. Why again? I don't care if this one can evolve, why dark again?

You know what? I never noticed this but you're totally right, Normal/Dark route 1 'mons are really common. Alolan Rattata, Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Purrloin, Zorua.. It's like the bipedal Fire/Fighting starters, a tired trend that's repeating itself for no good reason. Lets hope they don't make a Dark type Bidoof next. :p

As for SwSh, I'm actually very impressed despite the above! So far everything released has seemed really fun and the only thing I'm iffy on is the whole Gigantamaxing or whatever cause it seems like a pretty lazy gimmick. But as far as core elements of the games go, it looks very promising! (´∀`)♡

Back