• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are you serious?

Enigmatic Emolga

abandoned account, pls delete if seen
Years
  • I somehow managed to beat Wattson with just my Cosplay Pikachu. All of its moves were not very effective, and I couldn't use Thunder Wave, so I took up the challenge and just about managed to wreck Wattson.

Also, Game Freak, we need to talk... Explosion is a Beauty move in contests. Just finding that out was an 'Are you serious?' moment.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think the reason behind the removal of the Berry Blender and why Pokeblocks are automatically made at any time now, is because some people don't have a lot of time these days and Game Freak felt they needed an anti-frustration method for making Pokeblocks.

Anti-frustration methods ruining features people loved is something we all have to deal with in future games I'm afraid.
    Sadly I think you're right. Though some of that frustration then beating it after awhile is what makes games entertaining...

Years
  • Why did you think Smogon banned Mega-Rayquaza from Ubers? :/

Let me just place another wtf moment when I learned that a certain event Pokemon is no longer event-exclusive.
    Actually after finding that out I ran to see if it was banned from Ubers by Smogon, and unsurprisingly it was. I wonder if GF will balance it out in future games by having it hold the Jade orb which could manifest the power of the meteors and the hope of the people in order for it to Mega Evolve.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    The altaria of the champion at contests has an attack that gives you instant full stars. Also she has a full set of theme fitting attacks each different contest.
    In lilycove a team aqua member makes a hsowa reference.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Actually after finding that out I ran to see if it was banned from Ubers by Smogon, and unsurprisingly it was. I wonder if GF will balance it out in future games by having it hold the Jade orb which could manifest the power of the meteors and the hope of the people in order for it to Mega Evolve.
    Probably not. I don't think that Game Freak cares at all what Smogon thinks of certain Pokemon or what they do with their tiers. I'm not sure if Game Freak even cares about balancing things for competitive battles at all.

Years
  • I'm not sure if Game Freak even cares about balancing things for competitive battles at all.

I don't think that's true at all. First, some people even suggested that the reason the games since BW have been so short in the main story is so the competitive players can quickly get their teams in the swing. Not only that, but that has been suspected as to why every legendary is present in the games, so they can be used in the VGCs.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't think that's true at all. First, some people even suggested that the reason the games since BW have been so short in the main story is so the competitive players can quickly get their teams in the swing. Not only that, but that has been suspected as to why every legendary is present in the games, so they can be used in the VGCs.
    IDK about that. The main storylines have been roughly the same length throughout the whole series. And the legendaries could've been put in there for PokeDex completion purposes, for the newer players. Most of the ones available in ORAS are either banned VGC or ones nobody really uses as far as I know.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Most of the ones available in ORAS are either banned VGC or ones nobody really uses as far as I know.

Considering there's an upcoming national VGC tournament this Sunday over at my country that bans every legendary aside from the Kanto birds... yeah.

Years
  • Really? Well that was what I recall speculating some people said. But it's also partly in that they want newer players to be able to complete the Pokédex without having to transfer stuff (and for getting them with good IVs).

Furthermore, if Game Freak doesn't care about the competitive scene, then why else would they have made it easier to breed for good IVs than ever with XY having the Friend Safari and the Destiny Knot mechanics?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I don't think that's true at all. First, some people even suggested that the reason the games since BW have been so short in the main story is so the competitive players can quickly get their teams in the swing. Not only that, but that has been suspected as to why every legendary is present in the games, so they can be used in the VGCs.
    I can't really agree with that suggestion. XY had a rushed story, but it still took around the same amount of time to get to the E4, if not longer. ORAS hasn't had many segments cut out, just the backtracking to places sped up at times which isn't very much time saved (and then there's the additional Lati@s bit and cutscenes). Also agree that the first point about putting legendaries in is making them available in general to players.

They've definitely paid some attention to competitive play, what with increase VGCs (noticeable in Australia, certainly!), and online competitions, and between those in-game features like Join Avenue and Super Training make it easier to train Pokemon. And legends have 3 IVs. Balancing is one matter and I don't feel it is a focus of theirs, but they have been 'kinder' to the competitive scene I suppose.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    They made breeding a lot easier and streamlined as well, what with Destiny Knot passing down 5IVs now, Everstone guaranteeing the nature you want and mothers now being able to pass down egg moves. There's other things like the IV checker which is really helpful and how easy it is to get a Pokemon with 3IVs via Friend Safari or DexNav.

They even took it a bit further in ORAS in the battle resort. Not only is there a Daycare there next to the IV checker, but the battle resort itself is the best place to hatch eggs (honestly of the whole series imo) and it seemed they deliberately designed it that way, so no more constant flying. Oh, and a certain NPC that explicitly tells you that you can't win in serious battles by using your favourites. (So yeah, that Karen quote is dead)

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    My genuine "are you serious" moment was when Zinnia knocked me out in Sky Pillar. It's like... couldn't they find a more reasonable way to pass the time from starry nighttime to the regular time you had on your 3ds? Did they need to have Zinnia, who had recently become your ally, knock you out for no apparent reason? It seemed so horribly out of place that I couldn't help but laugh

Last edited:

Years
  • The altaria of the champion at contests has an attack that gives you instant full stars. Also she has a full set of theme fitting attacks each different contest.
    In lilycove a team aqua member makes a hsowa reference.
    I think that last one is only AlphaSapphire exclusive as I didn't see it in OmegaRuby.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • When I got to the Safari Zone, I went in and realized they took out the Safari game part and replaced it with just catching Pokemon. Seriously? That kind of takes the fun out of it.

Years
  • When I got to the Safari Zone, I went in and realized they took out the Safari game part and replaced it with just catching Pokemon. Seriously? That kind of takes the fun out of it.

Yeah I do admit it may have turned into a mini-route, but at least you can get inside for free now and there's also no more step limits. It's probably more of an anti-frustration feature, which probably explains why it got changed like this. But at least that means if you run into a shiny you don't have to worry about it fleeing now.

Years
  • -vicious rant-

As hostile as this post is...i'm honestly inclined to agree. I mean, B2W2 gave us the Colress rematch which had items on his team members and all you had to do was beat the game then get to the Plasma Frigate from Route 18 (and there are the Elite Four + Champion, who on Challenge Mode also have odd held items). But this? After everything nice that the game puts you through, to force you to beat a frustrating bout to unlock this awesome fight is just stupid. Not helped by the fact that the rematches against him don't use his awesome battle music, either.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Also all of a sudden hoenn is swamped with foreign pokemon after the 8th badge? did kyogres starshower just washed up pokemon?

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • (...) Not helped by the fact that the rematches against him don't use his awesome battle music, either.
    ^This, pretty much! To add insult to injury, the game starts playing his theme when you talk to him, but when the battle starts it switches to the standard trainer music. But I like how he uses an actual OU team as his last rematch and there's even an NPC mentioning that she saw Wally running around the Resort while holding many Eggs. Wally is basically an in-universe interpretation of a competitive player!

Back