• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: best coast california

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I'm, sorry but I honestly can't fully believe that. While I'm not saying their is total blame on the regime of any certain country, their faults are what push the majorities into poverty. If you honestly wanted what is good for your country and your people you would not run your country with an outdated and economically unsound political system that benefits no one but yourself.

Years
    These are the countries that were stuck in poverty to begin with though. Their task was getting their people out of poverty. And a lot of them failed. But regime type isn't the only factor - especially when the countries are small and subject to the intrigue of the great powers. Look at South America and how they lash out at their history of American imperialism. I don't think you could say that the regime(s for plural because they changed a lot) were 100% in the drivers' seat. As for the Soviet Union, they did play the game called the Cold War with the West, and lost. Imagine the United States was on the losing side, even in a democracy and free market, wouldn't you imagine the US to massively increase defense spending at the expense of developing commercial industry in order to protect their way of life? If the positions were switched and the Soviet bloc stretched to the Atlantic Ocean, and it was America that feared encroachment and containment, I'd imagine Congress and the President to be a lot more concerned about survival - bye bye healthcare and education funding, hello ballistic missiles.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Russia isn't exactly the country I mean though, as its on the up and coming 20 years from the end of the cold war. Its the other countries which are still run like they were 50 years ago which are the issue. And anyway, I still think the current global market is a mess though.

Years
    Fortunately the US market seems to be back? Shameless plug here:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=315377

But it's so hard trying to get a read on how the economy's doing. We see a positive article and are like "yay I can finally get a job" just for the economy to be inconsistent as usual and get our hopes down. Ehh, I hope it finally works out this time, I've heard way too many stories about members with job troubles or trouble finding jobs and it's just terrible.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    The US will always be fine, its gonna have its downs, but it always recovers. I'm more worried about us in Europe, its gotta collapse the way its going. Thing is, the farther we go without collapsing, the harder the falls gonna be. I kinda want things to start now, maybe in 10 years it'll get better.

Years
    Can I please please please get the past couple of posts moved into the D&D DCC? That's the kind of chit chat I'm looking for in there if it doesn't really belong in CCC's DCC :3

I had a fantastic chat with Went about Europe's situation today. He's super knowledgeable about politics like that.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I gotta see it, I'm fascinated to see what he knows. Oh I thought it was posts. :(

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    Jeez louise I leave you guys alone for a day and we haven't had a reply in over 3 hours. wth.

Speaking of accents, you don't see much of them where I live. Thing is, I really dig eastern European and Russian accents on girls. It makes my turn on factor go like ++++. Western European accents, though, not so much. :<

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    11 am here ;) Sunshine today, such a nice change from the gray sky of yesterday.

I have exams next week. I don't dread them as much as I usually do. Maybe I've become too dumb to realize they are soon O.o

Years
    I'll probably go back to bed though I really need to change my sleeping habits since I have to be up at 5:30am or so to leave at 6:45 to go across town for an 8am class. The morning commute would be hell if I left at 7am to get to school.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Almost 7 AM here. Normally I wouldn't be awake now but my sleeping pattern has been really bizarre lately :/ I gotta get it back in line in time for my anime convention this weekend...

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Huh? I'm from the states, and I definitely know that even if you're born in America, your ethnicity still rules when it comes to title calling. For example I'm 100% born in America, but I was always a Greek-American. Dad born here nonetheless, but mother was born there, as was her father. Still Greek-American. Maybe what Went is mentioning has to do with Anglo-Saxon countries, but definitely not Mediterranean ones.

Well, if your mother and her parents are from Greece, yes, you have direct Greek heritage, as I mentioned before.

And it's pretty funny that you said that what I'm mentioning has nothing to do with "Mediterranean countries" when I happen to be Spanish XD

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I meant that if you're in the states, and you come from Spain, or Italy, or Greece, you tend to be called Italian-American, Greek-American, Spanish-American. But when it comes to England, Ireland, Germany, its not really your German-American or English-American or Irish-American, cause that's what 90% of the white population is.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Oh. No, I meant that, in Europe, you are only X-Y if you live in Y but you have been born in X or you have lived there for several years or your parents come from X.

So, for us, an American who calls himself X-American despite having been born in America and having spent his whole life in America and having American-born parents is not X at all and we feel like he's cheating to make himself sound interesting even though he's as American as you can be. But that's all from an European perspective, that's why I said that our concept of ethnicity is so different. Americans do as you said, but Sector was wondering why a German friend was telling her she wasn't a German-American at all, that's why I had to explain our perspective :P

I have a friend who says she's Irish-American and I always roll my eyes when she says it, and I love her but dude, you are 1000% American :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I gotta agree with Went on this one :p If you are born in Sweden and live here your whole life, I don't even care where your parents are from or what color they are or anything. I'm going to call you a Swede, unless your main language is something other than Swedish and you really don't want to be called Swedish.

Years
    Never once have I called myself German-American, or Irish-American, despite the fact that I have ancestry from my mother's side from Germany and ancestry from my father's side from Ireland. I've been buried under so many generations that I'm just technically American and nothing more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back