• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Biggest disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Now, I hate to play devil's advocate making this thread, especially since this is my favorite game in the whole franchise. BUT, as people say, no game in this world is perfect, surely leaving you feeling that something should have been in the game but wasn't, or that there was something in the game you feel wasn't done right. And I know there was a thread in the XY forum asking people if they could change something about the game, so why not.

Anyway, even though people have said these games are improvements over their originals (but there are some who felt they were worse), i'm sure even they had bad to say about it. And for the longest time I felt the games were trashed for stupid reasons. All that said, what in Black 2 and White 2 were you most upset by? However, a few things I would like to mention before you post such:
    -Do not say "nothing". Again, you may feel something here wasn't done too great, even if there wasn't a specific feature you didn't like at all. You may find that something could have been done better, even at that.
    -Try to refrain from getting too unoriginal. I'm sure somebody will mention the story, and Iris as Champion for that matter. I would understand those, but I don't want to see a bunch of "TROLL FREAK Y U NO HAVE BATTLE FRONTIER?!?!?!1111111".
    -Also, I would like to not see posts that are nothing more than "it's the same game as BW". How does BW compare to you? What does that do better to you that this doesn't?

Discuss.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • For some reason, BW felt really really linear. I am not sure if it's the right word to use, but it felt really rigid compared to other Pokemon games. Also, the significant level gap after defeating Ghetsis and the post-game was quite a stunner. I certainly did not enjoy that one bit.

BW2 tried to change it. Did it get better? Yes. The level gap issues were fixed and the game didn't feel as rigid.

I actually did not enjoy the PWT. Even though there are all trainers around, all of them have just 3 pokemon and the levels are fixed. It doesn't feel like a rematch or anything... It felt like another battle tower. Was quite disappointed. They should at least give proper rematches to the gym leaders :(

BW2 did have a terrible Zoroark bug, at least for the Japanese version. Thankfully it was fixed for Western release.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I like Black/White2 a lot as well, but there was something I was disappointed with. The Black Kyurem/White Kyurem fight. It was....so underwhelming. Here's the culmination of Ghetsis's new plan, this fearsome beast that is a fusion of two already powerful Pokemon, and....it was so damn easy. C'mon, make me struggle a bit against it. Where's the fun?

I feel like there was something else too, but I can't remember what it was.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    The only problem I had with it was Black/White Kyurem's design. It looks horrible. That and being forced to make a PokeStar Studios movie. Besides those, I have no complaints whatsoever. Lovely game.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Hmmmm... Idk, B2W2 are too enjoyable for me to notice any negatives lol. I suppose I was disappointed with Black 2's Reversal Mountain since White 2's had better textures and wayyy better music. I don't see why the Ghetsis scenario was so bad, considering it was a lot more cool than the other final team boss encounters (except Lysandre) imo. I suppose I'll agree with Alfieri's issue about being forced to make a PokéStar movie, but I won't complain about PokéStar in general since it didn't have to be there in the first place.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    I only have 2 problems with the game whitney miltank with scrappy 100% para hax body slam making me have to bring in ferrothorn when doing jhoto PWT and white tree hollow Renga(sp?) dispite having 3 lengendaries can be completely reaped 3-0 with a speed boost yanmega.

As for the main game, its a nitpick but where is MA TENTICOOL/TENTICRUEL. I would have reaped so much with that thing. Oh well, cursed hot bod jellicent will have to do.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I personally loved B2/W2, but there were two things that disappointed me. The first one is Pikachu and Gengar not being in the regional dex, the second one is a handful of Pokemon not being available before beating the Elite Four, despite being in the regional dex. If you're not making a Pokemon obtainable before the E4, why include it in the regional dex?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    The way to access the intralink that is hidden in the wireless page is very bad, at least they semi-corrected that in XY by having mr bonding ram the fact that O-powers exists everytime you meet him. Other then that I think the funfest missions are a good method of grinding for stuff.

Years
  • I think I mostly agree with Zekrom and Alfieri here.

The former says that the battle against Black/White Kyurem followed by Ghetsis was sorta disappointing because Kyurem could be easily finished in a few hits but at least the Ghetsis fight afterwards is tough. Also, I agree with Alfieri on being forced to make a movie on the first Pokestar Studios visit. Not everyone was happy with said feature from what I've heard.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Poke star studios was ok at best and i realky didnt wanna be forced to make a movie. Other disappointments ns castle should have had a bigger role more things to do would have been fun and maybe a excavation team or someone i mean its wife open afterwards people could walk in and fall into the cavern if it was real lol. Also ghetsis was more powerful in black and white than 2 wat??? It hardly makes any sense and he was easy to beat not even really hard. Any other disappointments ya 2 is much more easy less powerful trainers than black and white i liked them more but join avenue and battling all the gym leaders was fun :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't get what's with the "I don't like how I was forced to make a movie" bit I keep hearing. Maybe I'm biased because I like PokeStar Studios, but.....it's just one movie. That's 2 scenes long.

Besides, the games force us to do other things too. Like how it forces us to watch the "how to catch a Pokemon tutorial". Goddammit game, I've been doing this for nearly 15 years, I know how to catch a Pokemon already. Why can't we have the option to not do that tutorial.

^I don't hear any complaints like that.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I liked the Pokewood minigame and I even finished a couple of those series. If I recall correctly GF even hid some kind of a hint to Mega Evolution in of them.

On the other hand, gen 5 was probably the most infuriating generation in terms of tutorials. A tutorial on how to catch Pokemon, another one that explains what the nurse in a Poke Center is doing (wtf?). I could rage on this for hours, really, but I refrain from doing so, because else I wouldn't be able to stop anymore.

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • I'll have to agree with Zekrom, I really wish there was an option to flat out skip the tutorials, since I know most of us don't want to sit there and learn how to catch a Pokemon after doing it for like, 15 years.

PokeStar Studios didn't really bother me as much because it's just an optional part of the game, and the scene only takes a few minutes of your time really. Same with the World Tournament, it's optional and doesn't really hurt the main story line.

If anything though, I wish we had access to like the Dream Yard or the earlier routes from the original BW earlier. I don't know. The battle with the Kyruem was underwhelming as many others have said, since it only takes..What about three hits for it to go down?

Years
  • On the note of tutorials, it's nothing new for me, and really XY weren't much better with them. As for Pokéstar Studios, I liked that too, so really it's nothing that I hate going through.

Anyway, I think what I found the most underwhelming was the fact that the opposing levels don't increase much as the game nears its end. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy battling Colress and Ghetsis in the climax of the story, but not only are they the exact same levels (50/52, 54/56 on Challenge Mode) as compared to BW where you fought N and Ghetsis back to back and the latter was two levels higher, but the Elite Four and Champion's levels are much too low. I mean, the trainers in Victory Road are like, 55 on average (not helped by the fact that you fight your 55/57 rival at the very end) and the Elite Four are 56/58 (or 60/62) and the Champion is only one level higher. Why not make her four levels above them like they did with Alder? Considering there's a lot more you have to do in between Marlon and the end of the game, the small level gap there (51/55 to 59/63) was being a bit too simplistic. XY's level gap was similar, but at least that had you going straight to the league, and the trainers before them weren't right behind their levels.

That and how annoying breeding can get, considering when your Pokémon breed an Egg, the first Egg they make is set in stone with IVs/ability/etc, whereas with BW it wasn't, so if you didn't like what you were given you had to reset and try again. This was why I tended to avoid breeding in Gen V and stick with HGSS for that whenever possible.

But aside from those, there really wasn't much for me to dislike, it had plenty for my liking and was enough to allow me to look past these.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    Coming to think about it, BW2 should have be Zinzolin game and getsis should not have been part of the main story but a secret super boss. That way Colress being appointed head of neo-team plasma would have made more sense as Zinzolin is the type that would want to hide behind someone with strong motivations.

Basically Gatsis felt like a extra in the game that they wrote in last minute because they had too.

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • I know this region was meant to be locked away from the rest of the world, but I wouldn't mind if it had a bit more older gen pokemon, otherwise I thought it was a very good gen. Good music/interesting characters a pretty good storyline. So my only problem is it should of had a bit more older gen pokemon and maybe evolve older gen pokemon to that actually need it; Jynx, Dunsparce come to mind.

Black 2 and White 2 sort of fixed what was wrong with Black and White but maybe another 100 more old gen pokemon would of helped it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2014
    I only played White 2 & the only problem I have with it along with every other Pokemon game is the victory road LOL. I cannot stand how long it feels to go down victory road. Especially if you lose a battle you have to start all over.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2018
    I only played White 2 & the only problem I have with it along with every other Pokemon game is the victory road LOL. I cannot stand how long it feels to go down victory road. Especially if you lose a battle you have to start all over.

But this is the fastest victory road with the only the joke that is gen 2 victory road The only challenge is the number of trainers that you fight up to the elite 4(of which 3 of them are skipable with flash) but with the doctor at the half way mark and the strightline design of victory road.

Granted B/W 1 victory road is so much better in the frustration factor while still be fun, long live the durant hill.

ZenonPrototype

Prodigy of Ice
    Years
  • I don't get what's with the "I don't like how I was forced to make a movie" bit I keep hearing. Maybe I'm biased because I like PokeStar Studios, but.....it's just one movie. That's 2 scenes long.

I agree with that point, and really, you don't even have to do it right. It's not like your automatically going to be transported to the nearest Pokemon Center if you did it wrong. Honestly, I did go through the tedious process of making every single movie a hit, and in the end, there wasn't much to it, if you think about it.

There were a few things that did disappoint me in this game. The first is Kyurem and Zekrom/Reshiram. In Black, you got Reshiram, and in Black 2, you got Zekrom. I understand that it fits the storylines, and this I guess isn't really a complaint, but it was just a bit confusing. I had gotten Black and then got White 2 hoping to get Zekrom. Actually, that might be the only disappointment.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I only had one problem with Pokemon Black 2: Challenge Mode. This was very poorly named indeed. I was expecting it to be significantly harder than it was, and it was certainly touted as a game mode that was catered for those of us who had been playing the games for years. It wasn't even remotely challenging. Nor was the PWT. I don't think it's entirely my fault for getting my expectations up this time, either...challenge mode was a huge letdown. I still enjoyed the game, but I didn't struggle with it, and I wanted to struggle with it. Because it was hard, not because I'd put half a dozen restrictions on myself.

...oh, and now that Nintendo have stopped supporting Wi-Fi services for the DS generation, it is now impossible to get all the medals. Despite the ridiculous requirements for some of the medals, I love doing things like this...I'm a trophy addict on my Sony consoles. Not being able to get all the medals might seem like a small thing, but god, it bothers me.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed Black 2, far more than I did the original Black. But...well, I was hoping for something I didn't get, and it did let me down in that regard.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back