• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Celebrate #Pokemon20

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
  • What is the date of the anniversary again?

20 Years is a long ass time.

Anyway, Pokemon has been something I could always fall back to. I have played the games for probably 8 years now, and enjoyed almost every minute of it. It has served as an escape from reality for me, which is something an anti-social introvert who can't maintain a friendship with anyone really needs.

My best memories are my TCG days though. I find it amazing how a "kids game" can bring people of all ages together. I played the TCG competitively for a long time, and eventually my dad started playing too (he was not just gonna sit there at League and do nothing). It ended up bringing me much closer to my father, and I am grateful for it.

In the end, I just can't believe that a series could go on with the same basic mechanics for 20 years, despite all the new spangled next-gen technology. I applaud GF and Nintendo for coming up with this idea and maintaining it for a long time, which is good because it's just about the only thing Nintendo has done right since the Wii U.

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
    Years
  • I'm probably going to play through all of the gens and complete them. Also, maybe I ought to throw a literal party or something. Invite my friends, trade, battle, stuff like that.

HawksFan97

I'm Still Alive!
    Years
  • Well, Started with X, then went all over the place starting with Diamond. It has been in my life for 3 years and in that 3 years i have accumalated over 6 games from the series, some rare, some new, but overall i would not hate it, i would love it, and play even more if i have the chance too ;)

In all of my 18 year life i havent even heard of pokemon until Chuggaaconroy (yes, him) did an LP of Emerald, i enjoyed it, and decided to play the series (first by DeSuMe, then actually obtaining the games myself)

Happy 20th Pokemon!

Last edited:

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I can't believe it's been 20 years already, it feels like it was only yesterday when I received Pokemon Red and a Game Boy for Christmas at the age of 9. :o

Fondest memories of Pokemon? Well, the first that springs to mind is when I dragged my father to the first Pokemon movie at the cinema (receiving a Dragonite card along the way). I took my Burger King Mewtwo toy with me (a family friend worked at Burger King and gave me countless blind bags in a big bin liner as she knew I loved Pokemon!). That opening scene with Donphan vs Bulbasaur and the updated theme song always sticks with me. <3

Another fond memory was when my ex-girlfriend told me she had a small gift for me, it turned out to be that Mewtwo promo card which was included in some copies of the first movie's VHS/DVD. I still have Burger King Mewtwo and that card to this day. :3

Finally, I travelled to my home city from uni just for the day so that I could attend the Arceus event at GAME. That was another fond memory, I loved playing Heartgold for the first time and receiving the Arceus figure and character on my game.

Argh as I write this even more memories are flooding through, like my first Poke merchandise (light up Chansey keychain from Toys'R'Us) or when I finally defeated Cynthia (Piplup vs Milotic)....Happy 20th Pokemon!!! :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2016
    To me, Pokemon is more than just a game. It;s an alter-reality where I can be what I want without anyone telling me. It's sad that many people think that Pokemon is a "kids' game". *sigh*, this is a place I can go to, challenge myself, and try my best.

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
    Years
  • I'm just 4 months older than Pokémon Red, so Pokémon was in my life since my childhood. That time I was addicted to Pokémon. Like any portuguese children, I collected Tazos, stickers and lots of stuff about Pokémon. Since I grew up in a village, and none of the children there have consoles, I only saw a Pokémon game when I was 8. I don't know which game was, and I didn't care, it was a Pokémon game! You could catch Pokémon there! I was marvelous. Then it started to appear the ads of Sapphire and Ruby. So at 9 I got a Game Boy Advance and on Christmas of 2005 I got Pokémon Emerald. Since then, I got addicted Pokémon. I met friends because of them. And got poor because of them too. Today, in my collection, I have Pokémon Red, Leaf Green, Fire Red, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, White, White 2, X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Last year I didn't played too much... This year I'm going to play more xD

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
  • I mean, I'm about a month younger than the original games, but I didn't even get my first Pokemon game until I was about 13 when my parents decided that I was responsible enough to handle video games. That being said, more than once I would sneakily borrow my friends gameboy when I was 8 with Pokemon Silver. I used to love staying up all night, trying to get through as much of the game as possible before the battery died, since I wasn't allowed to overwrite his save file. Though it wouldn't be another 11 years til I would finally get my own copy of Silver, that game has remained my favorite in the series for pure nostalgia (and the remakes, which were the first games I was allowed to own, are great for nostalgia and everything else in general).

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • I will never forget picking up Blue the first weekend Red and Blue were out in the USA. Ever since then, I have loved every new generation as they have come, and eagerly await the next one(s).

I have made a ton of friends around the world thanks to Pokemon, written more in that universe than any other fandom, and constantly try to push the envelope as to what I can do in that world, as I've always believed the world of Pokemon is full of possibilities--what could be, what could've been, and what if it was.

As to how I'll celebrate? Play the games, watch the show (up to the voice change in English), and write in the wonderful world of Pokemon.

This quote from Brock (my favorite character both in the show and to write for), sums up my feelings about this occasion nicely:

"Everyone has a dream that fills their heart. A journey they must take. A destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. It's the world of Pokemon!!"

averyindahouse

Creator of Pokemon Sigma (Coming Soon)
    Years
  • I will never forget the moment where I found a copy of Pokemon Yellow and a GBC at a yard sale for $5. I looked at the game and thought, "Hey, it's Pikachu from the TV!"

The thought of being able to have my own Pokemon Adventure, completely unique from everyone else's, was just a wonderful thought at a young age.

Today, I'm still hooked, and I honestly don't know where I would be without Pokemon today.

Years
  • I was first introduced to Pokemon when I six years old at my grandmother's house (the year was 2000) and instantly was hooked on it. I can't believe it's been twenty years since the Japanese Red and Green versions were released! I'll probably make a 1st generation battle team and fight on the PSS for the day. Right after I purchase and download Pokemon Red from the Nintendo eShop on Feb. 27! WOOT!

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Hm, in 11 days what will I be doing? Probably going to classes all day then doing homework before I go to bed because Wednesday are hectic. But in my mind I will be happy and thinking of Pokemon because 20 years is a great feat, and the series is still as popular as ever. I wasn't born before the series, but my first game was Pokemon Stadium 64 and I have enjoyed the games ever since. I can't wait to see what GameFreak brings to the table next!

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    My first exposure to Pokémon was watching the first movie back when I was around 3 years old, I thought it was amazing. Back then I didn't even know there were actual Pokémon games, I thought it was just the anime. I watched it when it was on TV when I was around 7 or 8, but I didn't get into the games until I was around 11 when I decided to try out Ruby for the first time, and I was still playing it several hours later.

Ever since then, I've been really enjoying all the games, and I even got back into watching the anime because I don't even know why. X3 Hell, I could probably say that Pokémon got me hooked on RPGs in general, because I got into Final Fantasy not long after playing Ruby. I've also met a bunch of friends playing Pokémon, so I guess it has influenced me that way as well. And I'm going to keep playing it, what reason do I have to stop?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • My pokemon obsession started with Yellow. It has obviously changed my life since that time. I am still obsessed with the games more than anything. They are my muse when I'm upset or even bored. I could play them for hours on end as well, and they are also something I play more more than other games. Pokemon is such a huge part of my life that I can't imagine being without it. I mean, it's probably not as important as music is, but that's beside the point. This is about Pokemon, not music lol.

I even play them when I'm procrastinating on my writing. 8D They are an absolute addiction for me hehe. I also enjoy the movies, but I haven't really gotten caught up with some of the more recent ones. :c

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    It's pretty funny regarding my experiences with Pokemon with just a sentence summary:

Started it off and loved it when it first started, lost interest in the middle, then later got the most interest last year.

I honestly hope that I had an interest in Pokemon at the middle, since I missed out on a lot in terms of how much the trading card game changed, how competitive battling was growing etc. Still, I'm glad that right now my interest in Pokemon has revived and I liked it more than when I did when it first started and hoped to maintain that interest.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I was 6/7 in 1996, but Pokemon didn't come stateside until 1998. Pokemania was everywhere then, it was quite insane. Unlike most 90's fads like Tamagotchi and Beanie Babies, Once the people who "liked" it just to be cool fell away there was still a sizable fanbase to be had. 18 years later, I keep coming back whenever they release a new game. While there are game series I like much more than Pokemon now, it's still for me one of the most reliable franchises to get quality games from, and I look forward to what the future holds for Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    Wow I just realised pokemon is older than me. I love it with all my heart, and it helped me through a lot of bad times. I must admitt pokemon is a huge part of my life.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    wow, Well MY best memory was when i got 999X masterball from missingno. it was a dream.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I grew up with Pokemon. I feel so old knowing this even though I'm 19 LOL
    My first exposure with Pokemon I believe was watching the anime at a very young age in a day care place. I have no idea why I remember that, I even remember the episode was the one with Sabrina and when Ash etc got stuck in the doll house. Ever since then I became so interested in it, I recognized Pikachu and my parents gave me one of those Pikachu's with the little pokeballs.
    My first pokemon game was hey you pikachu. Like I was such a huge fan of pikachu & this was just magic for my child mind lmao
    In elementary school, I'd rush home to school to watch the anime. I collected the cards/toys. I would trade with friends & we'd play the TCG, good times. My dream at the time was to go to one of those card tournaments but it never happened.
    A good friend gave me my first actual RPG Pokemon game, Pokemon Crystal. I used to play the GBA ones at his house cause he had like all of them. All I had was the spin offs- Hey You Pikachu, Colosseum, XD, Pokemon Snap, and Stadium 2. I had rented Pokemon Puzzle League.
    I collected every movie up to the Manaphy one and probably watched them all like 50 times each LOL.
    In middle school I got my first ds Pokemon game; Pokemon Diamond. Soul Silver is probably my favorite game of all though. I played those 2 sooo much. Even up until high school I was still a pretty big fan, I got into EV training and stuff and went way deeper into the game & learned a lot.
    I made so many close friends because of Pokemon. I experienced so much joy. At this point I'm kind of surprised it's still going strong lol, I thought I'd outgrow it by now but I still get excited at Pokemon news about Pokemon Go and other new games.

Back