• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, I've been at work all week, but I'll finally have time to play mine tonight and tomorrow. And hopefully over the weekend too, since I somehow got Saturday off. It's like a Halloween miracle lol.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Yeah, I've been at work all week, but I'll finally have time to play mine tonight and tomorrow. And hopefully over the weekend too, since I somehow got Saturday off. It's like a Halloween miracle lol.

I'm starting work again in November and I am honestly looking forward to it :D Because I'll be able to buy and play Sun & Moon when they come out :D So I might move some of my challenges onto Sun & Moon once they come out

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm probably going to play them normal at first, as I always do. Plus, Sun and Moon are going to be hella different than games before it. It will be interesting to see how we can work challenges into those games and also what kinds of challenges will show up that may be exclusive to Sun/Moon since they will be different and follow a newer format. I'm pretty excited!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
A blind nuzlocke would be a good way to go into a new game, now that you mention it. But we all know I'm allergic to lockes at this point, lmfao.

Thank Achromatic for the splash! I think he's going to do another for here soon, actually. He just grabbed something quick as a temp, but I mean...I wouldn't mind it staying if it has to, haha. I think it's cute. :)

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Oct 31, 2016
the following is the jist. i would post this under challenges but for some reason my post aren't going there...

I am new to playing pokemon. I am thinking of buying pokemon y and x. mainly the reason I want to do this is I wat to do a "role play run" through both. I know what your thinking. it's a rpg of cource. the thing is I want to do like some people do in skyrim and role play as a kunoichi{female nija} and a witch. so I have a couple of questions before I posibly due this. 1. wat kind of pokemon should I use for each run. no grininjas btw. It's too obvious. I think for the kunoichi I want to do poison darkness fairy but I don't know much about the game and for witch darkness physic and dragon. the idea is to use pokemon that kind of character would se. which leads me to my next question. how much of a disadvantage will this put me at. in other words will the game still be playable or will this not be fun.

also how do you like the idea of a role ply run of a pokemon game, I like he
this is the challenge

role play challenge.. 1. pick a class.. anything can count. you don't get any advantages from this.... 2... from now on you can only use pokemon that it makes since for that class to use. for example a fire fire may use water pokemon but a fisher man could use only fish and creature types you se buy the sea. i.e birds. lastly you can only use pokemon that fit your theme. i.e. a witch can use that candle pokemon but a kunoichi{female ninja cannot.} 4. {optional kicker rule} can only use pokemon of your moral alignment. i.e if you are a god guy. then you can't use something like gangar.

p.s. I know you can't role play in pokemon like you can in shy rim but this seems like it would be fun.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, threads in here have to be approved. You can learn more about the criteria for a challenge to be approved by reading the rules and the FAQ, stickied at the top of the section.

Anyway, I think a roleplay challenge could work pretty well. I want to say there have been similar challenges in the past? I'd have to go digging around the area to find them. But it could definitely work. Could also try to incorporate natures and movesets into the requirements, not just the Pokemon itself.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Oct 31, 2016
I am new to playing pokemon. I am thinking of buying pokemon y.and x. mainly the reason I want to do this is I wat to do a "role play run" through both. I know what your thinking. it's a rpg of cource. the thing is I want to do like some people do in skyrim and role play as a kunoichi{female nija} and a witch. so I have a couple of questions before I posibly due this. 1. wat kind of pokemon should I use for each run. no grininjas btw. It's too obvious. I think for the kunoichi I want to do poison darkness fairy but I don't know much about the game and for witch darkness physic and dragon. the idea is to use pokemon that kind of character would se. which leads me to my next question. how much of a disadvantage will this put me at. in other words will the game still be playable or will this not be fun.

also how do you like the idea of a role ply run of a pokemon game, I like he idea but I may not due it because financial restraints.. ty for your time btw.

the role play challenge
step one... pick a class. you are now locked into that class.
step two,,, what does this mea. you can ow only pick pokemon of that class.. i.e if you are a fire fihter you can pick pokemon of water type but if you are a fisher man you can pick creatures that live y the sea.
step three. you can only pick creatures that fit your theme... i.e. if you are a witch hen you can get that candle pokemon but if you are a kunoichi then you can can't.
lastly optional last srtep.. pick a moral alignment{like in d and d}. you can now only pick pokemon that fit that...

p.s. the idea is to pick pokemon that makes since for your character to use.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024

Well, welcome to Challenges ^^

There used to be a challenge here in PC similar to what you're suggesting. You can find both threads here:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=343173
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=319834

Of course, i only shared those for you to get an idea of what the challenge was about. Please DO NOT post in either of those threads as they are both dead atm.

You could, however, submit your own challenge with a clear set of rules & whatnot based on your idea or a combination of your idea and ideas present in the old threads (with the proper credit given should you use anything from the old challenge).

Note: If you submit a challenge, make sure you also play through it and that the first post contains your sign-up, otherwise it might not get approved.

As for my personal opinion on your idea... I likeit and I would most definitely play it should such a thread pop up in the Challenges section. I'm totally swamped in challenges but I would most likely fit that in there somewhere :P

Oh and here are some suggestions for your challenge:

Ninja:
Spoiler:

Witch
Spoiler:

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Oct 31, 2016
i like a lot of these suggestions... will be looking into tem... I will also be looking up the guidlie.. ty for your time btw.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
i like a lot of these suggestions... will be looking into tem... I will also be looking up the guidlie.. ty for your time btw.

No proble ;) Glad to help. There's a lot of other pokemon out there that you could choose yourself, the ones I suggested are mostly what I wold use should I RP a type of character. You can use Bulbapedia/Serebii/PokemonDB or whatever other websites out there that display a full list of all pokemon to get more ideas :D

Years
  • Age 32
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 8, 2016
Anime Arc challenge

So this is a locke that I'm trying to make but having a hard time. I want to make it the locke kinda go like an anime arc. I have a few idea like making it so the starter (hero) has to stay in the party the whole time. That if the hero dies another mon can given his life to bring The hero back. And also that after certain time you can make another mon the main hero but the starter has to be boxed.

Cherry Tangerine

time traveler
Years
I'm almost done with my Pokemon Black Nuzlocke run. One thing that I do to add an extra layer of difficulty is to filter out items. That's right: items don't exist. This means no potions, no repels, no full restores, no full heals--no anything. I can only use Poke Centers to heal up. This makes it tough when you're in the middle of a Gym that you can't get out of without fighting all of trainers and you only now realize that you're in way over your head. You're almost certain to lose a Pokemon or two--or, maybe, someone unexpected on your team will shine and rise to the top of the charts as one of your new favorite Pokemon.

Anyway, I'm writing a storylocke to go with this run. Here's to hoping that I don't die at the end.

SoaPuffball

Dat one guy who loves Diancie even though he is a
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2017
Genlocke: You can have Pokemon from any generation except one
Teamlocke: Nuzlocke, but you only can use Pokemon from your current Main Run team. You must hack to be able to play this.
Pokeballlocke: Only use Poke Balls and Safari Balls, no other varieties.
Legend/Mythic Lock: Only Legendaries and Mythicals are allowed.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2018
So I've come up with a Challenge which is extremely fun but can be pretty difficult in the later game. Give it a shot if you feel like you're up to it!

It's called the Substitute Challenge (because you substitute your pokemon team for a new one between each gym)

The rules are fairly simple:

After winning a gym badge, you swap out your entire team and catch new pokemon during the route to the next gym, which will be your new team until you win the next gym badge.
Obviously you use one of your old pokemon to catch the new ones, but after doing so you immediately put them into the PC box. (It's flexible, but so far I've been depositing the old pokemon after catching the first new team mate and had no problems with it yet. Up to you though.)
You can backtrack to train, but NOT to catch pokemon from previous routes.
You can take as long as you like to form your new team on the way to the next gym.
You can hatch eggs on the routes if you like, but I find this makes it harder due to the low levelled Pokemon.

Me and my friends have had a ton of fun with this challenge. I recommend Pokemon Soul Silver or Heart Gold, as it's nice to see all the different Pokemon sprites following you, but it works for any game.The difficulty really varies, as sometimes you will have long routes with a good choice of Pokemon, then other times you'll just have a stupid sea route and have to battle the next gym with Tentacool and pokemon caught from fishing. It won't be worth over-levelling in the long run, so you are forced to use strategy and tactics to win!

Good luck and let me know how it goes (I'm up to Jasmine in SS)

Years
  • Seen Jul 8, 2023
Unique Pokeball Challenge

1) Each pokemon on your team must be in a different type of pokeball.

2) You are allowed to use only 3 pokeballs of each type for the entire game.

3) Gift pokemon count towards their ball type.

4) You may attempt to catch whichever pokemon you'd like, except legendaries.

5) If a pokemon faints, it is considered dead.

6) All pokemon must be nicknamed.

*Depending on the game you play this on, you may adjust the pokeball number. I recommend keeping it low, though.

Optional Rules:

1) Play on Set Mode
2) Restrict healing items
3) Impose a pokemon level limit

I've done a playthrough of this on Y and it was fun and challenging.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
Hi. I want to do a challenge and see if it is okay.

Can I make a 'draft' challenge for a random pokémon game? I saw one of these on another forum and it seems really fun. A draft challenge is a challenge for 4 players at once. They will then 'draft' 6 pokémon for their team. Then they will go ahead and do their playtroughs. They will update their playtrough commonly, and the player who has the least amount of deaths/faints at the end of their run wins! The last statement could be changed if it doesn't turn out fun, but I would really like to try this.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 25, 2023
I have a question and a challenge idea.

Question: Do most challenges include the Nuzlocke rules of fainting=dead, or is the challenge alone supposed to be the challenge? Obviously there is no 1 answer to this as every challenge is unique and has its own rules, but is it typically assumed that Nuzlocke rules are apart of challenges or are they a completely separate entity and only some include these rules? I ask because it seems to me that most challenges on here limit you from catching certain types, but if you can catch as many Pokemon as you want in the "allowed" typing(s) and there isn't a penalty for a Pokemon fainting then this doesn't seem too difficult to get around type disadvantages. (This isn't to say that these challenges aren't worth doing; I happen to think that the Time Warp and the Game of Thrones challenges are both beautifully designed and sound very fun)

Idea: I'm not sure if this idea has been done before, or quite possibly if a similar themed challenge has been suggested/made before, but a challenge based off of Skyrim's 3 main archetypes: Mage, Warrior, and Thief. Each of these archetypes has 6 skills assigned to them, such as Destruction and Restoration for the Mage, One-Handed and Block for the Warrior,and Alchemy and Sneak for the Thief. In the Skyrim challenge the 6 skills of each archetype would relate to the 6 Pokemon in your party. Each skill can only represented by 1 party member at a time. So for examples:

*Mage- Destruction magic is either Fire, Frost, or Shock, so the Pokemon representing Destruction magic needs to be 1 of these types and must only use moves of that type (who could complain about STAB?). Restoration magic heals your character, so the Pokemon representing Restoration magic must have/learn a move that heals them, such as Leech Seed or Rest. This move must be the first move used when this Pokemon comes out, if applicable (Rest could be an exception).
*Warrior- One-handed is a close-quarters form of combat, so the Pokemon representing One-Handed must be a Fighting type and must only use Fighting type moves. Block lowers an enemy's damage, so the Pokemon representing Block must have/learn a move that raises its Defense, such as Harden. This move must be the first move used when this Pokemon comes out.
*Thief- Alchemy allows you to create potions and poisons, so the Pokemon representing Alchemy must be a Poison type and must only use Poison type moves. Sneak allows you to be undetected by enemies, so the Pokemon representing Sneak must have/learn a move that raises its Evasion, such as Evasion. This move must be the first move used when this Pokemon comes out.

I have thought of how other skills would work beyond these 6 examples, but I just wanted to give the gist of the challenge idea. Some skills are easier than others to make correlations to Pokemon. Skills like enchanting and Speech might be a little difficult, but what are your thoughts on this? I personally don't have the time to run this challenge, but if someone else has any interest I would be more than willing to work with them to come up with stipulations for each type.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
Is it ok to resumbit the Anime Challenge? Sorry as much time as I spend here I dont really know the small things like when or how its ok to resubmit something, but I just thought itd be nice having a pretty popular one back but I wasnt sure if i could or if someone was waiting on it already and all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back