• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Christmas a la you.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • It's December, which means we can never have too many Christmas threads :D

Often people say that it doesn't "feel" like Christmas. My question to you, dear readers, is what makes it feel like Christmas for you? It could be something sensory or it could be an event that happens around this time of year, anything at all. What little things make you think "oh it really is Christmas!"?

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Decorations in the streets, house decorations, your own house is decorated. You hear christmas songs, christmas movies marathon on tv, family get together on christmas day, baking gingerbread mans, gifts wrapped up under your christmas tree :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    It feels like Christmas to me when it's December and it's cold out. When you see Christmas decorations and trees everywere, hear Christmas music and see Christmas movies on TV.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • The cold weather. When highs start to get to the 50's and lows in the 30's sometimes 20's that's how it feels like Christmas

oh, and every city in my area doing Christmas parades, that pretty much does it for me lol

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    We need snow. A foot of snow.

I've seen more houses decorate this year than the past couple years but it still doesn't feel like Christmas, it feels like lazy people who leave their decorations up year-round and it's March or something.

We need SNOW >8(

Madic0

Years
  • The cold weather is the main thing for me. Sure, FL doesn't get any "real" cold weather, but it can definitely be noticeable at times, especially if you're a native.

It took until early this morning to realize that Christmas was literally six days away...

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Usually early December when it starts getting cold, I see more and more houses with their lights out and Christmas music is playing on the radio. However, it's also whenever my family goes to get our Christmas tree is usually when it starts to really feel like Christmas. It's the whole going out to buy it and finding the right one, setting it up and decorating that gives off a Christmas atmosphere.

Years
  • Decorations and snow really give me that Christmas feel. Too bad we don't get snow as much anymore in NY (thanks global warming) so it always feels like something is missing every year. ):

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
    Years
  • In my town, every year we put the lights on all over the towns center. That personally brings the Christmas spirit to me. Also, when the Coca-cola truck arrives, that also is a sign to me that Christmas is beginning.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    When the stores are decorated, we've brought the tree home, etc.
    Though for some reason I'm having a difficult time being as excited as I normally am. :T

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    That cold chill in the air. Those merry Christmas songs we sing. That time when we decorate the Christmas tree. That smell of hot chocolate and cookies in the kitchen. Those gifts from daddy-Santa. Those sweaters my mom knits. Those Christmas coupons and sales at the mall. Those little things make Christmas special to me.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Fairytale of New York. That's quite literally all it takes for me, lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What makes Christmas feel like Christmas is the presents, the time spent with family and friends and a feast.

Cid

Years
  • Well, the Christmas shopping that goes before the celebration on Christmas Eve, related school events and parties, the start of the winter break, and being home with my family at Christmas Eve. Oh and certain Christmas songs. That might sound like a lot, but honestly, there are very few things that make me think that it's Christmas, because lately I haven't been feeling it as much as I used to. Still, I enjoy the holidays as much as I can.

Years
  • It never feels like Christmas for me. My heart is a lump of coal.

It feels like Christmas when people start talking all Christmas-y, talking about "the holidays" and "presents" and "good will toward men" and other alien concepts.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I will answer this question in song

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,
    Jack Frost nipping on your nose,
    Yuletide carols being sung by a choir,
    And folks dressed up like Eskimos.

Everybody knows a turkey and some mistletoe,
    Help to make the season bright.
    Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow,
    Will find it hard to sleep tonight.

So, I need all of that. Minus the turkey, because its boring and only on the one day. And lets make mistletoe decorations in general.

...snow helps too

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • News reports of traffic accidents caused by idiots who can't drive in the snow. Oh yeah, and the obligatory "guy in Santa suit commits armed bank robbery" news piece.

People around here start decorating their houses way too early, so decorations alone aren't enough to indicate it's the holiday season. But oddly enough, car wrecks and bank robberies are xD

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • While decorations and shopping for gifts and everything like that are essential to Christmas and it would not feel like Christmas without them, often putting them up and seeing them are not what gives me a Christmassy feel. For me it's other smaller things.

The first one I thought of is the taste of the really bad quality chocolate from advent calendars. I'm about to have my last one for the year now and it makes me sad to think that Christmas is tomorrow and then it'll all be over once more :(

The second is something that always made it feel like Christmas but hasn't happened for about four years now. When I was in primary school and high school, there was a Presentation Night at the end of every year where all the kids got awards. Well, not all the kids, you had to be invited and you got special awards for academia and the like. It was a special ceremony and I was invited every single year and whenever that happened it always felt like the school year was ending and Christmas was right around the corner.

The third one doesn't happen until after Christmas. BOXING DAY SALES!!!! In 2009 my best friend and I began a tradition where we go to the post-Christmas sales. We get up super early on December 26 and we fight crowds and buy ourselves all the **** we didn't get for Christmas. It's a very rewarding day!

Back