• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: CoroCoro reveals Rockruff's evolutions & new Ultra Beasts for Sun and Moon!

Years
  • I really like both of rockruffs evolutions, slight preference for the day one wonder what the typing they have? ub02 beauty really reminds me of lusamine, the way it's posing and stuff especially but I can't think of any character that the other one could be connected to?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I know and I get what you guys are saying, I personally dislike them and that's an irrelevant thing - I'm excited for the plot, the region, the day and night etc, but there's no way to get around the fact that some of the new designs are eerily similar to the design styles of Yokai Watch, that and the fact that if you look at Facebook comments on Pokemon and Smogon etc the big pages you'll see a **** ton of complaints already about the changes. People are complaining about Z moves, Ultra Beasts, etc. Pokemon Go tried to bring people back into Pokemon, yeah, and too much change somewhat alienates those trying to return. Like the facts are there that too much change is offputting to the greater fanbase. With Go as I mentioned, I read what people are saying often - there's a lot of negative about ONE thing.

I know everyone wants to think positive and think that everyone will be accepting of the changes (and trust me that's what I want too) but these forums are for the diehard fans, those that don't really care what they change - they'll love it anyway. In fact change is better for those as they've been playing for so long. The drifters, who we need to buy the games, are who need to be pulled back in. You can't deny that Pokemon fans are extremely fussy people. I'm just saying that it might not be quite what everyone expects, that these games could (public/fan-base wise) not turn out as good as you guys are thinking.

The plot was never the issue anyways (I didn't mention it iirc).

@MrGriszell; Also BW the problem was too much change, trust me I was heavily involved in it at the time and that was the #1 complaint.

Years
  • here's the thing - people like to complain, especially online where they can get closer to the creators/whatever, it doesn't always reflect the wider audience. taking "oh everyone is gonna hate this" from a few pages of whining from people who have probably been doing the same for every new game since gen I is not really a reason to worry when sales say otherwise about how popular the games are. plus if you don't like something then you likely spend time talking to other people who don't like the thing and it can give you a biased sense of the general feeling of the wider audience.

Years
  • There will always be complaints about every single generation, period. I'm not sure what makes this generation so different. People will complain, and they'll probably buy the games, anyway.

It's true.

For me, 7th Gen is looking to be exactly like 5th Gen - a generation that changed up the game formula in a sort-of drastic way, and will likely end up as a generation where I loved the games but absolutely hated the accompanying anime saga, which is what the SM anime is looking to be, a Unova-esque reboot of Ash's personality.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I didn't really expect the other UB's to look like anyone in particular so I'm not upset that they don't. I just... don't like them? Like UB-01 is a pretty cool design. UB-02 and UB-03 are... ugly. I dunno, I don't like their designs at all. It's kinda hard to say if this opinion matters at all because we don't know their true purpose yet (I never bash other RPGs if they have a boss or two with a design I don't like, but what exactly are the UB's?) but I still don't like how they look.

But otherwise, unless another Rock-Type is implemented, I'm probably keeping Rockruff on my team at this point. I guess me being a "night-player" getting Moon will have its advantages now, so I can get that cute daytime evolution easier!

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Then the secret that Rockruff and the three starters share means we're getting night and day evolutions?

SWEET!!!

Don't really care about the UBs other than the feminine white one, which reminds me of an Osamu Tezuka alien and Leiji Matsumoto's female characters in Star Blazers or Galaxy Express 999. Even the red one has some classic anime homages some where. Much better than the Jellyfish thing.

I hope they're all FMA-Ninas so we can bask in the tragic abomination that are forced merging of Pokemon with humans.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • OMG, the two Rockruff evolutions look GREAT! I love its night time evolution! It looks so badass!´

The Ultra Beasts though.... Those 2 look kinda strange... Don't get me wrong, I LOVE UB-01! But these two new Ultra Beasts look really.... eeeeh. They may grow on me. I can't help but look at UB-02 BEAUTY and remind me of a giant cockroach. Also, the UB-02 BEAUTY clearly resembles Lusamine.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I think this ends the argument of UB01 being Lillie like I originally thought. Especially now that the other one is looks like the other female. Unless someone wants to try to say both of them are pokemon.

I am not a fan of Night Rockruff. I much prefer Day. Also not a fan of these Ultra Beasts. I much prefer UB02 Expansion as the other looks too human like.

Disappointed that there was no new pokemon again. At this rate I think we will not make it to 100.

As for the secrete. I think this 95% confirms that the starters will also have different forms in the last stage. I don't think there is a way to get around it and I gladly accept it. I don't know why people hate the idea so much. They say starters are supposed to be unique, but this makes them the most unique out of all the starters.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The similarities with UB-01 and Lillie are so on-point that I'm having a hard time seeing UB-02 as Lusamine. The outfit is wrong and the hair is nothing like hers. With UB-01 being almost 1:1 with Lillie, I'd expect any others to also be that similar; since there's too many differences with UB-02 and Lusamine I really don't think they're supposed to be connected. Also by that logic, who would be UB-03? Nobody we've seen so far is that buff and has a chin that dangerous.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Heads up: the article has been updated with a scane of a anime-related page (a sun and moon anime season). Keep discussion here on the sun and moon games, but figured I'll let you guys know of that information.

The similarities with UB-01 and Lillie are so on-point that I'm having a hard time seeing UB-02 as Lusamine. The outfit is wrong and the hair is nothing like hers. With UB-01 being almost 1:1 with Lillie, I'd expect any others to also be that similar; since there's too many differences with UB-02 and Lusamine I really don't think they're supposed to be connected. Also by that logic, who would be UB-03? Nobody we've seen so far is that buff and has a chin that dangerous.
    Minor note - they're both UB-02, just different forms.

I also don't feel sold that it's Lusamine - I can see some resemblance, but UB-01 is much more like Lillie.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024

Ohhhh.

That's... certainly a thing, then.

I... wonder why they're so different.

I also don't feel sold that it's Lusamine - I can see some resemblance, but UB-01 is much more like Lillie.
    Pretty much. And then why would the other UB-02 be so different if it was meant to be Lusamine? If it was connected to Lusamine they would probably make that the only UB-02.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Heads up: the article has been updated with a scane of a anime-related page (a sun and moon anime season). Keep discussion here on the sun and moon games, but figured I'll let you guys know of that information.

Now that you mention it, it wouldn't make much sense UB-02 Beauty resemble Lusamine, since there's another UB-02. I think if an Ultra Beast had any connection to a human, it needed to have only "one form". Like, if it was called UB-03, there would only be one UB-03, not like UB-02 .... I don't know if I expressed myself well xD

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • screenshot_70.png
    tumblr_mlrif7ohUq1rngqygo1_400.png

Hmm... I see no difference.
    (Queen Vexus fanart source)

Sirfetch’d

I was so excited to wake up to these leaks! Very pleased with the Rockruff evolutions. The second one reminds me a bit of Zoroark which is really cool :) I might have to squeeze two Rockruffs on my team aaaaaa

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • More Ultra Beasts huh? And there's version exclusives of them? Looks like the nighttime version of Rockruff's evolution does look like a werewolf. Expect that version to appear in Pokken Tournament.

Rant:

Where is the "everything is changing, Pokemon is coming to an end" perspective coming from?

I'm going to word this as respectfully as I can: some things in Pokemon games as we know them are going to change. It's not always going to be the same ol' "this is x evil team, kick their behind, conquer 8 gyms, conquer Elite Four, become Champion". This is a subjective argument, but my perspective: That formula has become boring. We've been conquering Gyms, we've been defeating Elite Four members, we've been defeating the Champion, and we've been defeating evil teams since R/B/Y, and is it a bad thing that the formula suddenly changes? Do we really expect Game Freak to stick to the same formula forever?

Try telling this to the Paper Mario fanbase who are bashing Color Splash for not being like the first two games.

Nove Nu-Vonde

( acquaintances become antiquated )
    Years
  • I agree with colours, I really don't get all this worrying about the change. All this time people have given Game Freak a hard time for rehashing the same formula over and over again for 6 generations with some minor gameplay changes thrown in, and now that they're taking some risks and shaking things up, they're getting crap for that, too? Damned if they do, damned if they don't, it seems. I personally have really liked how sun and moon have been looking so far. Team Skull might not be my favorite, and I'm about as excited to choose between Lunaala and Solgaleo as I am Hilary and Trump (seriously I like these new mascots less than I liked BW's : /) but overall I would say things have looked very good. I love the idea of ultra beasts. They confirm that Pokemon aren't the only thing living on earth, that there are other things living among them that aren't just regular animals, and I think that's a really neat concept to experiment with. I cannot say the designs are my favorite, but the concept itself is really cool.

As for this month's leaks, it's been interesting. I'm really not digging Rockruff's night evo, but its day form is cool enough. I might snag one if they're available early game enough. I like the theory that time based evolution is the secret it shares with the starters, it would be different and give us a little more variation (it'd essentially give us 6 starters). I especially hope this is true if those supposedly "legit" leaks we've all seen floating around the internet are true, because I really don't like Litten or Popplio's evos.

UB 02 is cool enough I guess. It's expected they would have made at least one UB with time based forms/version exclusive forms. It's just the Game Freak way, no matter how much change they're making. I am excited to see what the other UB's are like, and how many they plan to release.

(edit: wow okay super ninja'd the post I was referencing is now a page back, but ya'll get the point I think)

Years
  • So excited! As always, it is heartbreaking when you have your heart set on a pokemon and it ends up having a terrible evolution. Well, I cannot say that for Rockruff! :)
    The day form is so cute! It is wolfish, yet puppy-like.

Also, I can't believe there has been debate over whether UB-02 is related to Lusamine. It just clearly IS. The same pose with her long arm resting on her hip like a fashion model. The same signature long lashes with more mascara than any other character in the mainseries. Her long legs and slim figure. The same hair shape. Of course it cannot look and should not look exactly like Lusamine but it is clearly based on Lusamine.

More Ultra Beasts huh? And there's version exclusives of them? Looks like the nighttime version of Rockruff's evolution does look like a werewolf. Expect that version to appear in Pokken Tournament.

Try telling this to the Paper Mario fanbase who are bashing Color Splash for not being like the first two games.

But I think it's a matter of it being similar to a new formula established by sticker star. To me Sticker Star is not an innovation, it almost feels like if we changed the main series pokemon games to have battles like pokemon Go. I would actually be devastated, it would not be the same rpg.

Sun and Moon keep the core gameplay that makes pokemon, well...pokemon. While, at the same time, there are innovative mechanics and features to keep the series fresh.

Whereas Colorsplash seems to take out everything that made the originals good, and added features for the sake of adding new features. Like what is up with making it into a card game? Or the fact that we do not get interesting new partners based on mario species. It's like if pokemon stopped including Pokemon!!!! We all LOVED the originals because of the partners, leveling up, and the interesting open map world. There was TONS of room for new innovation, within those parameters I defined, but instead they failed to balance innovation and keeping the core gameplay intact -- so it is basically not the same series as the other paper marios. :/

I cannot see a fair comparison between pokemon and paper mario. Clearly, GF has established a core gameplay that connects all of the games together despite different innovations. Sun and Moon clearly stand out for being successful at introducing new features and character all while sticking to the spirit of a Pokemon game -- unlike Color Splash.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The similarities with UB-01 and Lillie are so on-point that I'm having a hard time seeing UB-02 as Lusamine. The outfit is wrong and the hair is nothing like hers. With UB-01 being almost 1:1 with Lillie, I'd expect any others to also be that similar; since there's too many differences with UB-02 and Lusamine I really don't think they're supposed to be connected. Also by that logic, who would be UB-03? Nobody we've seen so far is that buff and has a chin that dangerous.

Spoiler:

If you look at the image of Lusamine and flip it, you can practically see the same posture from UB-02 Beauty and herself. The fact that Lillie resembles UB-01 would support the whole Ultra Beasts mimicking humans situation. At least for some of the characters we've seen so far.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • When I first saw Rockruff I thought of it as a pretty boring Pokémon, but it evolves in a FREAKING WEREWOLF at night! :DDDD

Yep, that's going to be Moon for me. :D

Back