• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Curious... How many 'Older' fans...

20 yrs+, are you a...

• returning fan to the franchise

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • new fan to franchise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • never left

Votes: 33 70.2%

• Total voters

redjj1

Old School
Years
  • So I'm wondering how many 'Older' (20 years old +) fans of the games specifically continued with every Gen without 'Giving Up' (i.e. 'I'm too old for this)

gave up but returned- and in what gen and why?

and If you consider yourself 'new' (X/Y... any 3ds version really) -what attracted you?

I gave up after Gen III, enjoyed it but felt like I had reached an age where I thought "this is for kids"... I was about 11-12 {XD} and didn't buy a handheld post GBA.
    My younger brothers played DPP, HGSS, BW, and only the youngest played BW2, XY, ORAS. SM.

However, myself and my middle brother saw SM trailers and the little kids inside us came alive! New ideas with no gyms and islands were most likely the biggest factor.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Pokemon Red/Blue came out in '98 when I was 10 years old, and I've been playing since then. Never took a break from any of the generations, and while I might have grown/burnt out or just become disillusioned with other aspects of the franchise, the games still feel fresh even to this day for me.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've played since the start and I've never stopped playing/buying the games tbh. There have been times when I took a break for a few months when they didn't grab my interest as much, but all in all, I've been pretty much continuously buying the games since around 1998. Sun & Moon proved that I'm still just as into the franchise as I always have been.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Even though the Pokemon franchise reached the US back in 1998 (the year I turned 10), it was not until either 1999, 2000, or 2001 when I first played one of the first gen games (so I was in the 11 to 13 age range). I have never stopped playing the Pokemon video games since then. In fact the only part of the franchise that I completely stopped doing was the card game back in 2003.

Years
  • I've played the franchise from 1th gen to the current 7th I was around 6 when i started playing pokemon and it really caught my intress
    Though after the 3D generation was announced I took a short break from Pokemon for awhile
    But i started playing through the new generations this year while waiting for Pokemon Moon to come out And i don't think i will quit playing Pokemon anytime soon I'm too attached to the Game series to let go haha.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I have moments where I leave for about a month but that's more to burnout than losing interest. I've been buying the games since I was first fully invested back when DP came out.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Been pretty much playing from gen 1 onward. Except gen 4 because back then stuff happened and as a result I got more into PC gaming leaving Pokemon behind for a while. I kinda got back into the series when the gen 2 remakes happened and just stuck around since then.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I've been playing since Gen. II (Silver was my first game, but I got Red a year later). Now I'm going on 27.

I never gave up on Pokémon, but there was a point that I gave away all my Pokémon stuff (excluding games and cards) in middle school because I felt that I was too old for toys. I've built my collection back up since and now I've got more Pokémon toys than I did as a kid. xD

I also started losing interest in the anime around Gen. III, although I still watch the movies. However, I started watching the Sun & Moon anime last week and I think I'll try to stick with it.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I gave up during Gen 2 (which is ironic since Gen 2 has become my all time favourite) and I got back into it during Gen 3. I never gave up the series again since.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I first played Yellow and then Crystal, I bought Sapphire and Firered but didn't have the motivation to complete any of the games at that time. So they were all packed up unfinished for about 8 years.

Then in 2010 I started playing the Gen 1 and 2 games again and I completed both Yellow and Crystal shortly before both got corrupted and lost their save data.

Around 2013 I bought my 1st 3ds, i also bought Black 2. I never owned a DS as I was losing interest in Pokemon around 2005.

A number of factors made me lose interest in Pokemon, the voice actors changing in the anime, Gen 3 in general, the game moving from the Gameboy advance sp to the DS, the cards changing to the e series design and Destiny Deoxys.

I bought Y on release and completed it. I also bought X and Omega Ruby in 2016 and I like OR better then Sapphire. I never really played much of Gen 5 aside from most of Black 2, though I did recently buy both Diamond and Heartgold. And I do own White as well though it's unopened. I also own Sun and Moon, but might just sell both White and Sun later on.

Last edited:

Devil in the Mirror

We Stitch These Wounds
    Years
  • I missed Gen 3 and Gen 4, but that was because I couldn't get the games, not because I didn't want to. Having not played them when they came out has apparently made me unable to really get into Hoenn or Sinnoh, though, which is a bit unfortunate. I've finished at least one game in every generation at this point, technically, but gen 3 and 4 just ended up being the remakes that I completed, and I haven't been able to get through ORAS either. Other than that though, I've been doing this since Yellow and do try to get each new game as they come out.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I voted returning, but I only missed 2 years maybe. I played gen 3 and I did played gen 4 before gen 5 was out.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • I never left. Red/Blue and onward, baby! I have loved watching the franchise grow! I can't wait to see what else is in store!

Foot

I'm creating a Pokemon Sun and Moon Comic!
    Years
  • I've been a fan since Blue.. I'm going on 30 this year, but I'm always as giddy as a kid on Christmas Eve when a new game comes out:) Sun and Moon have been some of my favorite PK titles since Silver and Platinum:D

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Whilst I have not watched the anode for many years (Last time I saw the Anime Misty was in it) I have been playing since Gen 1.

I did take a break from the games in Gen 4 but since returning in Gen 5 (White 2) I have completed Pearl, Platinum and Heart Gold in Gen 4.

Years
  • I started playing Pokemon from the original release and always enjoyed it. However I never played all the Generations and missed a few in between, I do plan on going back through and playing each one someday.

I have also just got back into the TCG side and looking to build some decks to play with IRL as well as online.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I'm 24 years old and I've never missed a generation. Been with Pokémon's evolution in its entirety.

I suppose it did slow down for me around Gen III too. I think there was a global ripple of "this is for kids now" kinda feeling, so I did play less during Emerald's reign and the start of DP/P.

Foot

I'm creating a Pokemon Sun and Moon Comic!
    Years
  • Whilst I have not watched the anode for many years (Last time I saw the Anime Misty was in it) I have been playing since Gen 1.

I did take a break from the games in Gen 4 but since returning in Gen 5 (White 2) I have completed Pearl, Platinum and Heart Gold in Gen 4.

I've carried the same attitude about the anime too, but if you really liked SUN and MOON I highly recommend checking out the new SUN and MOON anime:3 Its genuinely good!

Owlet

Look for hope, it's searching for you.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 12, 2017
    I first got Red version as it was released in the UK in 1999 when I was 7 and then consistently played each new version as it was released without a break. I finished all the games apart from Pearl, which I couldn't get into for some reason, and played Red, Yellow, Silver and Sapphire multiple times after I first got them. I mostly play them alongside other games, so I never really experience a burnout with them :)

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I was 14 when Pokemon came to the UK in 1999. I've played every main game and I'm still playing now. Although I've only been into competitive the past couple of years. The community is a big thing that keeps me playing as I like to talk about the games (both plot and competitive), watch Nuzlockes and Let's Plays, and share fanfiction.

Back