• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Poll] Current Pikachu or old (round) Pikachu?

Which Pikachu?

• Current

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Old

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
Years
  • Current Pikachu:

025.png
    GOxsmQ-pikachu-pokemon-transparent-background.png

Old (round) Pikachu:
    220px-Pikachu_artwork_for_Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_and_Blue.webp.png
    Ln1CW1s.png

Who is the superior Pikachu?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I'm leaning more towards Chubby Chu. I don't like it too round or too thin, but the picture of the Yellow cover art is just perfect.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Agrees with Vielleroue about the Yellow box art being the best. Slimmed down Pikachu a little too much in the newer version. Looked too spherical in the old Trading Card Game art.

Years
  • I love the original design, especially in the anime. So I voted for it. But I have to admit, when I think about Pikachu, I imagine it in the current design.

Years
    • Seen today
    Sugimori's Modern design, old in-game cry. Another point for Legends Arceus.

I can take either design, but Geez I hate the anime cries.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'll agree with what was stated earlier.

I grew up with current Pikachu and don't feel much attachment towards the older design. However I do prefer the more animalistic cry.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I can't help it, I'm completely nostalgia blind. ChubbyChu is the best. But I do think that modern Pikachu looks more like what young me always imagined a Pikachu to be like -- does that make sense?

Really though, I've never seen a mascot from a franchise as big as Pokémon go through such a dramatic design over the years and still be so well received by the fanbase at large. It really is remarkable considering how polarizing some opinions can be.

Years
  • Definitely prefer the old, non-anime cry too. I always liked when they make animal sounds and not talk as if they're people pronouncing their own name.

But anyways, I like both, but think I'll have to go with the modern design. There's something really cute and huggable about it, more so than chonkychu. <3

pikachu-pokemon.gif

Back