• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

D-pad or analog stick

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Which do you prefer to use when playing a video game?

For me I prefer an analog stick as it feels more fluid to me. My thumb seems to freeze up a lot when trying to move around with a D-pad yet I feel okay with an analog stick. Especially with fighting games which is odd because for those type of games, people generally agree that d-pads or fight sticks are the way to go.

pkmin3033

Depends on the game, really. If it's 2D or side-scrolling, I prefer the D-Pad. If 3D, an analogue stick, or dual analogue if it's a game that requires me to excessively control the camera (Monster Hunter, etc) as well. I dunno, I just get really uncomfortable using an analogue stick when I don't need to move in a 3D space; it feels strange and not as...precise. Although it's worth noting that I need a proper analogue stick. The PSP's analogue nub did absolutely nothing for me; it was near impossible to use because of how flat and utterly resistant to use it seemed to be.

Years
  • I got used to D-pad on most of games, although Analog stick is good on racing games or games that require constant camera control.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't really have a preference generally. It really depends on how the character moves in the game. For example, I'm not a huge fan of the roller skates (analog stick, for those that don't play) in Pokemon X & Y as it's rather choppy, but the walking is still generally locked down to be grid-like, so I use the D-pad (and it's the only way to walk). While playing the ORAS demo, the walking/running was fluid with the analog stick and didn't seem locked down on a grid like XY's walking, so I'll likely be using the analog stick to move my character once the games are out.

I also prefer analog sticks for racing games, though I don't find it too terrible to play them using D-pads. After all, there are three Mario Kart games that utilise a D-pad, and they all did pretty well. I managed with them anyway. It really can depend on how the controls work in general when it comes to either method. I found the D-pad in those three Mario Kart games to suit just fine as the controls weren't slippery or locked in anyway. Had they not been as responsive or grid-like, I would have found them harder to play and probably wouldn't have enjoyed any of them very much.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the D-pad. Which is the only problem I have with earlier PSX games, because they don't let you choose and it's just infuriating because it's so hard to go in a certain direction.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I personally prefer D-pads most of the time, so I was disappointed when several games started to implement analog pad/stick, instead of the D-pad, as the only means to walk in the game. So I'm starting to getting hang of analog pad/stick a bit thanks to these games, even though I'm still sticking with D-pad for now.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I don't really have a preference. While I'll automatically revert to the comfort of a joystick when it comes to turn-based RPGs and other menu-heavy games, it's usually just about which works best for the task at hand.

Your 2D, side-scrolling, fighting games, shmups/bullet hells.. they all work infinitely better with the D-pad.

3D games are typically a lot more fluid and comfortable with the joystick, especially in the cases of platformers and racing games.

Although 2D platformers can go either way for me. Some are just uncomfortable with a D-pad, maybe because they sucked their controls are more floaty and ice-physics-y? I dunno, there's a couple I've played on Steam that were just awful without the precision of a joystick.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I really disliked the directional-pad my Game Boy Advance had (specifically mine); somehow, it managed to get itself loose after a few days of initial usage, forcing me to press a lot harder than normal to actually get things working. It was quite bothersome. I could have opened up the console to fix and whatnot, but I was too inexperienced with technology back then, causing me to be afraid of screwing things up. Have also asked my father a few times to see if he could do it, in which he would respond with something along the lines of "sure, I'll into it," but unfortunately, he never managed to get around.

Anyhow, personally, I generally like tend to lean more towards analog-stick, whether the game be 2D or 3D. Usually, it feels as if it gives me more freedom than normal, allowing me to move thumb anywhere I'd like without having to worry about restrictions. Am super glad that Nintendo's finally began implementing the thing in their handheld consoles, starting off with 3DS; of course, not all of us are precisely fond of it, but those who are do indeed appreciate that, and so do I. As far as d-pad goes, I don't have much things against it, but still try to avoid if there's any analog-stick available for use.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the D-pad. Which is the only problem I have with earlier PSX games, because they don't let you choose and it's just infuriating because it's so hard to go in a certain direction.

I was actually coming back to this thread to post about that, but you beat me to it, haha. I don't have experience with the first PlayStation personally, but I've heard from reviewers that the d-pad control even in the 3D environment still works rather well. I don't have a PS, only a PS2 and just two PS games, neither of which I've tried yet. But I'll probably prefer them with an analog because that's all I'm gonna have at the moment.

On the subject of older games though, have any of you ever downloaded older Final Fantasy titles to your Virtual Console? Cause using an analog stick while playing Final Fantasy IV is a major pain in the ass. It goes back to my previous post with the grid-locked movements. I imagine the same holds true for downloading, say, Link's Awakening on the 3DS. Trying to move with an analog stick would be hella painful. lol Even something like gen IV or V Pokemon games, that analog on the 3DS makes it...bleh.

That being said though, downloading old games that are meant to be played with a D-pad, I'm still going to play with a D-pad. They just don't work with the analog stick. You get stuck when moving, it moves a tad too fast when it comes to menu selections, and the fluidity the analog stick provides just isn't there with games that were meant to have their movements locked on a grid structure.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I didn't know that people actually used the D-Pad. The analog stick just comes so naturally to me that I thought it was a universal thing. I can understand why some people would use the D-Pad for like, fighting games for example, but I assumed the analog stick was the more universally accepted method of gameplay function.

GanguEevee

~Calamity Trigger~
    Years
  • The analog stick. I mostly NEVER use the D-pad. Why?

1. The D-pad has a bit of limited movement compared to a analog stick. The D-pad goes 4 directions,while the analog stick can go at least 8 directions. The analog stick is very useful for most fighting games like Persona 4 Arena or Blazblue.

2. Although I don't have a problem with games that might require the D-pad,if a console/handheld has a D-pad that sucks,you bet your ass I will get mad when it feels so not fluid. If it's on a menu where I can only use the D-pad,and the D-pad sucks,I'll get pretty pissed.

Although I never played it,the only example I can give is Dragon Ball Z Sagas. On the menu screen,you can move only through the D-pad. Sure,it's not bad on the PS2,but I heard that a Xbox controller's D-pad sucked. And I know that a GameCube controller's D-pad isn't the best thing.....

3. Hmm....That's all I got.

But of course,that doesn't mean that I'm hating on the D-pad. This is,obviously,just my opinion.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • The analog stick. I mostly NEVER use the D-pad. Why?

1. The D-pad has a bit of limited movement compared to a analog stick. The D-pad goes 4 directions,while the analog stick can go at least 8 directions. The analog stick is very useful for most fighting games like Persona 4 Arena or Blazblue.

The D-pad usually supports eight directions, the games however do not.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Persona 4 Arena or Blazblue.
    I actually tend to use D-pad to do a QCF/QCB :D

I didn't know that people actually used the D-Pad. The analog stick just comes so naturally to me that I thought it was a universal thing. I can understand why some people would use the D-Pad for like, fighting games for example, but I assumed the analog stick was the more universally accepted method of gameplay function.
    Well... for example in Catherine, it's actually better to use D-pad as you are walking on cube blocks.
    So... I wouldn't write off D-pad just yet ;)

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I completely forgot what it feels like playing with the D-Pad, so I actually hated games like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 that forced you to play via D-Pad, especially when you're playing on an Xbox 360 which has a really bad D-Pad. 3DS too, I prefer the analog stick over the D-Pad.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I always use the analog stick. The only exception is with handheld games. The 3DS, however, changed that when they made you steer with the analog stick. Oh man, I have such difficulties with that sometimes, but oh well. For everything else, the analog stick is the only way to go. It's just a lot easier and comes naturally to me.

Rocka210

The Code Never Bothered Me Anyway
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jan 29, 2015
    I use the D-Pad for all pokemon games, and use the analog for others (such as monster hunters).

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I completely forgot what it feels like playing with the D-Pad, so I actually hated games like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 that forced you to play via D-Pad, especially when you're playing on an Xbox 360 which has a really bad D-Pad. 3DS too, I prefer the analog stick over the D-Pad.
    You can change it to the stick.
    But I gotta agree, I started the game and was like "Wtf, why is stick not working?"

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    This mostly depends on the game that you are playing. D-Pads are mostly used for games like Persona, Tekken, Fighting Games in general, or 2D games. Most 3D games are analog stick based. Depending on the console and condition of your Analog Stick, the D-Pad may always come out on top. Since it can detect it's activation faster than an analog. It mostly depends on the game though.

Back