• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Daily Chit-Chat: What even is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • fair enough. I can get not being on the surface pro train and typing on that but I wouldn't group the surface book line in that at all. even reputable tech reviewers (even though it's their own opinion on the matter, but I do take laptop reviews seriously) agree that the surface book typing experience is pretty good and comfortable

essentially, you get what you pay for in a surface product

Last edited:

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • That's the downside with laptops, to be able to do that decently you need to shell out way more cash than with a desktop unfortunately.

I think id have to waste twice as much cash to get the same performance my desktop delivers

blue

gucci
    Years
  • i've had windows laptops in the past but they've gone faulty or broken within a couple of years which always put me off. my desktop i've had since 2012 and it honestly runs just as smoothly as it did years ago. i've always preferred the reliability of desktops over laptops. the most reliable laptop i've purchased (and still currently have) is my macbook air which i got back in 2014 and that still works well 5 years on.

Years
  • I should... actually try a Macbook and see what those are like. .__. I've always been on Windows laptops and they've been fine for me for the most part. Never really had a whole lot of issue with them.

But I'm willing to try something new when it comes to tech so I hope to experience what a Macbook is like in the future. :o

blue

gucci
    Years
  • yeah, there are a lot of things that you can't do with a mac that you can do with a windows laptop (i found out the hard way lmao). going from windows to mac takes a while to adjust though. even now i still sometimes get confused by the differences, but i have found it to easily be the most reliable laptop.

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    My impression on Macs tends to be "shell out a lot of money for hardware and then shell out even more for the software". I've heard the majority of people who use one of those are either businessmen or artists, people who also spend a lot of money on expensive software.

I'll take any machine that is able to run Linux. If it has WIndows (which it probably has) then it gets replaced with my own setup. I'm currently on somewhat of a minimalist setup where I've gotten rid of a lot of software in favor of command line and shell scripts (most of which are assigned to some sort of keyboard shortcut).

That's something that bugs me about Windows in particular: most keyboard shortcuts are already in use and cannot be reassigned without major effort.

Years
  • Minimalism is great if you know what you are doing. Unfortunately, a majority of end-users would be lost when it comes to solely using a command-line interface.

Meanwhile, over the weekend, I set up a FreePBX server and a SIP phone! I acquired a used Cisco 7941 IP phone that was sitting in the lab where I work, and learned a lot in the past three days about how SIP phones and IP phones in general work. It has paging and hold music.

Cid

Years
  • I wish I was technologically savvy enough to understand your second paragraph. :<

But yeah, re: minimalism, I appreciate the training I had to go through for my major, requiring familiarity with command line to more efficiently access Fortran modelling programs. Thanks to said training, when things are a bit minimalist, I wouldn't be too lost. Although I do prefer it when software developers make things easier for the end-user. It takes a lot of love to try to make things digestible by people like me.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • It can be difficult to describe in Layman's terms, so I'll let this webpage do the talking on SIP phones:
    https://www.3cx.com/pbx/sip-phones/

And then PBXs:
    https://www.3cx.com/pbx/pbx-phone-system/

Pretty much any office or business that's not a small business would have a PBX system installed.

My company (a hotel) is a good example of PBXs in use. Well both that and SIPs actually, but the main way to show them in use is that we have a bunch of phones each accessible over our Internet network, yet still also reachable from outside networks, being very personalised for the needs of the user of said phone network. Main an example of PBXs there but still something I'd very much like to set up amongst my roommates should they have need and/or use for a fixed telephone system which is unlikely. More it's something I'd love to try out but it's just not really feasible which is a shame.

Years
  • My company (a hotel) is a good example of PBXs in use. Well both that and SIPs actually, but the main way to show them in use is that we have a bunch of phones each accessible over our Internet network, yet still also reachable from outside networks, being very personalised for the needs of the user of said phone network. Main an example of PBXs there but still something I'd very much like to set up amongst my roommates should they have need and/or use for a fixed telephone system which is unlikely. More it's something I'd love to try out but it's just not really feasible which is a shame.
    That sounds really awesome and let me know if you ever do set something up like this :)

I've been wanting to get a Raspberry Pi for my FreePBX/Asterisk setup for some time now, that way it's at least not running off a VM on my desktop and running on a physical device instead. And since my last post, I've figured out how to configure it to receive incoming calls from an Obihai device, but have yet to get outgoing calls working.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • That sounds really awesome and let me know if you ever do set something up like this :)

I've been wanting to get a Raspberry Pi for my FreePBX/Asterisk setup for some time now, that way it's at least not running off a VM on my desktop and running on a physical device instead. And since my last post, I've figured out how to configure it to receive incoming calls from an Obihai device, but have yet to get outgoing calls working.

I definitely want to try it out, it's something that has been bugging me since I started living with roommates. But landline phones here for home-use are kinda costly, which is a shame.

I'd love to get one of those, or an Arduino, but more so to program various things around my room, like lighting for example. In my own place I have a lot more plans such as automated processes at home to do with ventilation, cleaning etc, but that's a way off I think. Definitely something I've got planned though. Also building my own emulator would be nice. My dad has already built one, along with an amplifier too.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • for some reason I think my Task Manager is broken. Yesterday I experienced a random crash and after some testing it would seem when I try to launch a game both my CPU and GPU rise up to 100%

now I have not been able to replicate the crash itself, but I find it odd that these two rise with even a low demanding game aswell as a very demanding one
    best of all, performance isn't even affected at all and after 4 hours of testing I still have not crashed.
    Also I find it very odd that when I look at the settings its supposed to use up 1/8th of the GPU, instead of it all.

Years
  • for some reason I think my Task Manager is broken. Yesterday I experienced a random crash and after some testing it would seem when I try to launch a game both my CPU and GPU rise up to 100%

now I have not been able to replicate the crash itself, but I find it odd that these two rise with even a low demanding game aswell as a very demanding one
    best of all, performance isn't even affected at all and after 4 hours of testing I still have not crashed.
    Also I find it very odd that when I look at the settings its supposed to use up 1/8th of the GPU, instead of it all.

Is this happening on all of your games or just one in particular? You might be experiencing a severe memory leak.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • Is this happening on all of your games or just one in particular? You might be experiencing a severe memory leak.

It's happening on multiple ones, but not every game has the same issue. For instance OpenTTD doesn't give the issues I described, but when I launch StarCraft: Brood War or Rainbow Six Siege (especially the latter is making it go bonkers to 100%) the whole CPU & GPU usage skyrockets on Task Manager

and strangely enough it doesn't impact anything and everything handles fine... that or it has been doing this for ages and I could get better performance oof

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back