• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: daily vidya chat

Years
    I'd honestly wholeheartedly recommend Okami to anyone who hasn't played or finished it. It's 100% worth beating the entire game for from start to finish and it's worth getting as invested into the story as you can. I dunno, maybe I'm just so gung-ho into it because I cried at the end (I'm not gonna spoil anything but damn). I kinda wish Capcom did more for Ammy than Okamiden.

Not that Okamiden is bad (because Chibiterasu is adorable), but another game where you can adventure with Ammy again would be nice.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I think Super Mario 3D World gives you an invicibility power-up if you die too many times, so it doesn't matter how much you suck - if it gets too frustrating, you'll have that option if you want to just get through it and move on.

I actually really like that kind of feature, because there is nothing more irritating than being stuck for ages at something that is a little more difficult than everything else in the game, and in a single player game you're playing on your own, it's not like it makes any difference. It's a shame more games don't provide that sort of thing.

oh that's nice to know...like on one hand i would hope i don't suck THAT bad that i'd need to use it but i don't think anyone understands how truly AWFUL i am at platformers. i always have been and always will be bad at them lol. but at the same time bc of that i can't fully justify picking up a copy...maybe when i have the spare money and feel like getting on the mario kick but i'm just. bleh. this is part of why i haven't cared for super mario maker 2 either. aside from no longer having my favorite feature from the original, i'm just like. idk i'm not good enough at playing the levels and with my favorite feature gone, making them won't be fun for me either. oh well.

also while we're talking about okami, that's another i've been meaning to pick up. i've seen a let's play and played a bit of okamiden, but that's not the same. i'll eventually pick it up for my ps4, i'm sure. i kept meaning to get it for the wii but now that there's an hd version i mean. might as well go with that over the wii or ps2 ones, unless for collection's sake.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Okami is by far one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I've ever seen. Period.

Cid

Years
    I should get it for the Switch. It'll be way easier than going back to my dad's house, dusting off the old PS2 wherever it is right now and hoping that our Okami disc is still somewhere near it.

I want a Wolf Link and an Amaterasu amiibo, too. In fact, I wouldn't mind a Zelda and Okami crossover. If it becomes popular they can make a proper Amaterasu sequel, too.

pkmin3033

I'd like to try Okami on Switch because from what I've read the QoL improvements they added - like being able to skip through text at a faster rate - make it actually playable. I played PS3 HD version and it was...painful. There wasn't anything particularly HD about it, honestly. It was still a nice enough game to play through for the most part (I loathe minigames, and this had a few annoying ones...) but it really showed its age and the PS4/Switch version looks much better.

Unfortunately I think the Amaterasu amiibo was a fan-made thing using the Wolf Link amiibo as a base...at least, I don't remember seeing it in shops. Although with Nintendo's inability to properly stock amiibo it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong there. I know Japan has had a few amiibo we've not had too...like the amazing Monster Hunter Stories ones I was really looking forward to getting and using...

Years
    Ohh really? Last time I played Okami was on the PS2 in like 2003/2004, so I can hardly even remember what issues I had with it if any. Glad to hear the most recent port is good 👍

wish I actually finished okamiden though aha

pkmin3033

I think if I had played it back when it first released I would have been fine with it then tbh, but sometimes I find playing old games painful, especially if I've played newer ones in the same genre or series that have added small QoL improvements that you kinda take for granted until you no longer have them. Things feel...clunkier? Aesthetically I think Okami has a pretty timeless feel to it, but gameplay-wise...oh yeah, things have come along in leaps and bounds since then in the genre, and it really shows if you play older versions of it. At least, it did for me at the time.

For some reason I'm reminded of Kingdom Hearts...the difference between the first and third games, or even Dream Drop Distance, is like night and day, even though they use fundamentally the same combat system and controls once you take out all the gameplay mechanics they add in to newer titles. Or the difference between the various generations of Pokemon. Or pretty much any JRPG that lets you skip cutscenes vs. the ones that don't and force you to re-watch stuff if you die against a boss. xD

Years
    Last time I've played Okamiden I wasn't particularly a fan of it, though honestly that was years ago and my memory is really hazy on it. I really want to replay it and finish it so I can have more of a solid opinion on it.

pkmin3033

The loading screen as the game boots me back to a checkpoint makes me angry enough I think - it always takes a good 30 seconds, giving me plenty of time to ruminate on how badly I just fucked up. xD

Cid

Years
    I think if I had played it back when it first released I would have been fine with it then tbh, but sometimes I find playing old games painful, especially if I've played newer ones in the same genre or series that have added small QoL improvements that you kinda take for granted until you no longer have them. Things feel...clunkier? Aesthetically I think Okami has a pretty timeless feel to it, but gameplay-wise...oh yeah, things have come along in leaps and bounds since then in the genre, and it really shows if you play older versions of it. At least, it did for me at the time.

For some reason I'm reminded of Kingdom Hearts...the difference between the first and third games, or even Dream Drop Distance, is like night and day, even though they use fundamentally the same combat system and controls once you take out all the gameplay mechanics they add in to newer titles. Or the difference between the various generations of Pokemon. Or pretty much any JRPG that lets you skip cutscenes vs. the ones that don't and force you to re-watch stuff if you die against a boss. xD
    Yeah the first Kingdom Hearts did not age well. I remember being so happy that my friend bought the collection, but he got stuck in KH1 at the Tarzan level because of how bad the conveyance in that particular area was. I don't think he's touched the game since then, which is a real shame because I'd love for him to play the other games. His brother bought KH3 though, so at least he has some form of motivation to pick it back up.

pkmin3033

As a series KH isn't as standout to me as it is to many people - it only really "clicked" for me in a couple of worlds across the entire franchise (I loved the Fantasia world in DDD in particular!) and I thought the selection of the worlds was a mix of bizarre (Tron? Big Hero 6? Are you kidding me?) and wasted potential (I was so sad the Toybox level in the third game didn't feel particularly Toy Story) - but I guess I still enjoyed playing the games and experiencing the systems evolve over time...which is very apparent when you play them all back-to-back, haha. Excluding the ones made into awful VNs in the PS4 collections, anyway. 358/2 Days is pretty damned awful when it's basically just Axel, Roxas, and Xion sitting on the clock tower eating ice cream for 3 hours with no gameplay between.

Makes me wonder if the Remind DLC will be worth playing...the ending to KHIII was both satisfying and irritating, because those loose plot threads they introduced in the end cutscene had absolutely no business being there. You can't just retcon [redacted] into a major antagonist and expect people to give a damn!

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
    feels good to have a game of Siege where you silence a toxic random teammate, carry friends to victory and do it on support roles to break a personal record in terms of kills in a single match
    and on top of all they learned something new :spheal:

i like to brag pls dont kill me

Years
    Anyone played the Code Vein demo? I have, well, the character creator anyway.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Cid

Years
    I've been thinking of getting into Street Fighter, but I don't know where to start. Looking at a $40 game on Steam compiling SF1-3 and thinking if it would be worth it. 🤔

Years
    I've been thinking of getting into Street Fighter, but I don't know where to start. Looking at a $40 game on Steam compiling SF1-3 and thinking if it would be worth it. 🤔

OMG then you can play with me!!!!!!!

I would say that SF4 is the most beginner friendly, the collection you've mentioned is very good but they're either very dated or very technical games!

Cid

Years
    OMG then you can play with me!!!!!!!

I would say that SF4 is the most beginner friendly, the collection you've mentioned is very good but they're either very dated or very technical games!
    I just checked out Ultra SF4's price on Steam, too. As well as SF5:AE. I might buy Ultra SF4 then, if you recommend it and place it as the most beginner friendly. I've tried the games in the past and I always get confused by what the different letters or fighting modes stand for. I just end up spamming Hadouken and Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku.

Back