• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: dakota was here! castform's a winner! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    @Ace - rooting is acquiring administrative privileges on your phone, basically like you have on your computer. It allows you to modify partitions you normally wouldn't be able to touch, like /system. It allows you to back up both apps AND their data in case of the worst. It can do so much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)
    Other than that, what does it do? I don't really see the need for anyone to root their phone past backing up apps and their data whereas Jailbreaking seems like a perfectly understandable thing you can do to customize your phone past the stock and install tweaks to make your phone work the way you want it to work (though with iOS7, most of the tweaks I used in my jailbreak for iOS6 are obsolete). Android already has those capabilities, so why else would someone want to root their phone?

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Other than that, what does it do? I don't really see the need for anyone to root their phone past backing up apps and their data whereas Jailbreaking seems like a perfectly understandable thing you can do to customize your phone past the stock and install tweaks to make your phone work the way you want it to work (though with iOS7, most of the tweaks I used in my jailbreak for iOS6 are obsolete). Android already has those capabilities, so why else would someone want to root their phone?

To uninstall carrier bloatware that are usually system applications that you cannot remove unless you're rooted for one thing.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
    Years
    As for me, I feel a sense of pride when I look over my wallet and see that I haven't used a single buck out of it. I looooove to stock up money for emergency cases and I never use it. That's why all people I know say I should be a manager because money would never be wasted with me.

I always try to stock up money, I have two bank accounts, the one I get paid into and the one I save money in. Every month I'll put a third of my money into the saving account. I haven't withdrawn money from the savings in over 3 years. Last time I checked it had just under 7,000GBP in it. It sounds like a lot but that's 3 years of saving [minus a car and motorbike].

The other account however, is pretty much always empty by the next paycheck. Whether it's rent, food, drink or random rubbish, I'll spend pretty much all of it.
    Especially this last month... Christmas is awful.

I think I find better pride buying something that's cheap but still have leftover money for this and that, but, I think there is something.. 'more safe' about buying an expensive product; it kind of makes you feel that the expensive product in question was worth every penny, y'know? Plus, saving up for something expensive can be really rewarding once you've finally got it!

Yeah, it's certainly a great feeling when you buy that first big thing with your savings!

On a related note... IT'S PAYDAY!
    I'm so happy. So so happy. It looks like I won't starve after all, for tomorrow I eat like a king.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    To uninstall carrier bloatware that are usually system applications that you cannot remove unless you're rooted for one thing.
    Would I have to worry about bloatware if I buy a Google Nexus directly from Google? Those don't go through the carriers at the time of purchase if you buy them from the Play store.

Years
    Would I have to worry about bloatware if I buy a Google Nexus directly from Google? Those don't go through the carriers at the time of purchase if you buy them from the Play store.

If you root, you get administrative permission via Superuser to make you have access to handy apps like Titanium Backup which backs up your data in case something goes wrong or you want to switch to another ROM, or Nandroid which backs up the entire system in one image. Rooting also allows overclocking of your device which allows for increase in performance, and apps that increase your battery life.

However if you're really just the type of person who doesn't do much stuff on your phone, you don't necessarily have to root. But if you're buying a Nexus phone and already have had a phone that had bloatware, make sure to disable google play app backup, because otherwise google play will automatically download all the bloatware you had in your previous phone, which you don't want. I also don't recommend rooting if you have a lot of data in your phone already, as rooting requires wiping the phone's data. (feel free to correct me if this is wrong)

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014

Nah, Nexus devices don't have bloatware. Rooting one is so easy, but you have to unlock it first and unlocking wipes data for Nexus devices. Honestly, you probably won't have to root it, but one of the best apps "Greenify" requires root. It allows you to hibernate apps that like to run in the background and wake up your device a ton (like Facebook). Also, you can install something called App Ops X which allows you to get into a secret android menu that allows you to disable excess permissions on Apps (like why flashlight need internet access/my location, lets disable it).

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    It's annoying when it doesn't take you to the last page. I've had it happen a few times haha.

And yay it's almost Christmas break. Gonna try getting to be more active here.

Yeah, I find it weird too, because I might not know if I've got ninja'd when I post and suddenly I go to the page I never seen before.
    And speaking of Christmas break, I'll have a break starting in a few more days.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I always try to stock up money, I have two bank accounts, the one I get paid into and the one I save money in. Every month I'll put a third of my money into the saving account. I haven't withdrawn money from the savings in over 3 years. Last time I checked it had just under 7,000GBP in it. It sounds like a lot but that's 3 years of saving [minus a car and motorbike].

The other account however, is pretty much always empty by the next paycheck. Whether it's rent, food, drink or random rubbish, I'll spend pretty much all of it.
    Especially this last month... Christmas is awful.

Yeah, it's certainly a great feeling when you buy that first big thing with your savings!

On a related note... IT'S PAYDAY!
    I'm so happy. So so happy. It looks like I won't starve after all, for tomorrow I eat like a king.
    Spoiler:
    I don't want to be intrusive on your personal stuff, but you're only 21 and get paid that much? I'm curious cause I'm thinking about England after college and if things are so good there...

Years
    I just wish I had money in my bank account to begin with :p I'm literally flat out broke, except for what's in my savings account.

Years
    I'm never good at handling money, my mother even doesn't want me to use it for any donation purposes because she thinks it's unnecessary. Yeah she is very strict and that's very unfortunate.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Eep, money. I'm saving up for a phone, but I'm gonna be blowing 40 to 50 bucks today. ;c Cheesecake, booze, and primarily transportation. I hate how travelling in the city costs so freaking much.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
    Years
    I don't want to be intrusive on your personal stuff, but you're only 21 and get paid that much? I'm curious cause I'm thinking about England after college and if things are so good there...

I work a lot, and have two jobs. I'll average 60-65 hours a week between both jobs. I get paid for both on the same day, as the nightclub and bar are managed by the same man.

Eep, money. I'm saving up for a phone, but I'm gonna be blowing 40 to 50 bucks today. ;c Cheesecake, booze, and primarily transportation. I hate how travelling in the city costs so freaking much.

Cheesecake and booze are two of the best things you can spend money on. I wouldn't call that 'blowing it'.
    And now I want cheesecake... I'll nag my SO to make one.

Try commuting to the city, that even more expensive. Thank god I have a bike as well as a car, bike is literally a third of the fuel consumption.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I find it hard if it comes to buying anything which is beyond what I'm usually buy (like foods, music course and stuff) due to economic factor that time. Buying 3DS XL some months ago costs me much than I thought it should be that I was forced to be hiatus due to running out of internet packet and being unable to buy it for days ><

my mother even doesn't want me to use it for any donation purposes because she thinks it's unnecessary.

Well, looks like we're on the same boat in this case, Hika.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Cheesecake and booze are two of the best things you can spend money on. I wouldn't call that 'blowing it'.
    And now I want cheesecake... I'll nag my SO to make one.

Try commuting to the city, that even more expensive. Thank god I have a bike as well as a car, bike is literally a third of the fuel consumption.
    Ahaha, amen to that! How much on average does one spend on gas per month, anyway? I'm trying to figure out if it's more or less expensive than spending 5 dollars (minimum) daily for a round trip.

Years
    My mom usually gives me $20 bills to use for gas money.. that is until I actually have a job and begin to have my own income source that isn't theirs.

I hate my car though.. it has a small gas tank ;;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back