• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you buy textbooks and not read them?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    In college, textbooks are seriously expensive. does anyone here buy and read a little bit and after the course is over. you NEVER read it again... How do u feel about it?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    They're way too expensive, I agree.
    I don't read the full book. I only read what we're required to read.

And then I won't touch it ever again.

I should probably sell them back, but nah.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    when you buy thing, you suppose to feel good about it. But buying textbook in college make me really bad. I think about it all day about what a freaking waste of money. how
    dare textbook is more expensive that iphone.... seriously what the f?

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
    I'm fine with buying books for college, as long as it is from my major. I don't bother when it's not. It's still useful reference for me so I think of it as an investment.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    I own textbooks, yeah. And I use them fairly regularly too since there's quite a lot of background reading or in general stuff that they expect you to know but don't where I study, and at uni in general. It's just a fact of education that they can't teach you everything you need to know to be at the top of your field.

I don't buy them, though; most of the major ones are available somewhere online as large pdfs for free and that's something that a lot of people don't seem to know about, but it's saved me hundreds (probably thousands, thinking about it) of pounds. Just have a look around. 8)

On that note, if you were to fork out so much money for a textbook, I don't get why you'd then only read a bit of it. If you're in uni then you're choosing to study, so... shouldn't you want to use the money you're spending on your education to its full value?

Years
    Yes, I purchase textbooks. However, if there's an e-book version with the homework access code, I don't buy the textbook. I, for one, dislike the price of textbooks and wish they would be lower to ease up on tuition. Or for those professors that only use the textbook sparingly, have classroom copies available for use.

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I lucked out last semester because my journalism and astronomy classes didn't require a textbook. But often I will do assigned readings up until the first exam and then judge whether or not I can get by in the class with my lecture notes.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
    I mostly just end up downloading PDFs of the textbooks onto my phone, unless the professor provides them. Since the textbooks that my classes use are all fairly common, they usually have PDFs floating around the internet somewhere. I probably carry a thousand pounds' worth of textbooks on my phone. Usually, I don't have to pay for them either.

I end up with a copy of each on my desktop to use at home, a copy on my phone to use on the go, and a copy on something else like a Kindle, if I get around to it.

It's really a nice boost for your bank.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I just rent them for the semester. Saves me hundreds.

I always want to do that but then I remember that massive line at the end of the semester to return...decide I'd rather spend the money than bother with hours of waiting to return the books, sigh.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I hope to either have my college textbooks covered by scholarships or to find them online. I don't feel like paying for them and I'd probably rarely use them unless it was for my major.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Come on you guys.
    I want to know where you get these free pdf books...

Help some struggling broke college students out we're all in this together.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Come on you guys.
    I want to know where you get these free pdf books...

Help some struggling broke college students out we're all in this together.

I hate to be that guy but posting links to places or describing them on here would definitely be not cool. d:

Warship

異議あり!
    Years
    well I go to high school and our textbooks are free so i dont really have the fund problem.
    whether i use them or not is usually up to my teachers for those classes , if they teach the lesson from there i do if they use an alternative source i use that instead of my textbook

Years
    Ever since university/college, I've always tried to find an online PDF version of the textbooks I need for the term. Majority of the time I'm able to, but then there are the few obscure ones that I have to end up purchasing, and they cost probably anywhere between $100-$200. But considering that most of the material for my courses now are online, I don't have to buy them anymore.

Psychology textbooks were especially expensive back when I was studying psychology, and since all the exams were based on memorization, and information from the textbooks, it was crucial that I read them.

Years
    When we have to get textbooks, I rent them whenever I can. I don't end up reading some of them, especially in literature classes, except when there are specific assignments that require me to look in the book. So yeah, i'm very guilty of this.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    Keeping Books to read when i would want to but probably i dont get time to read! Thats what happens to me!

They charge way too much for them because they know they can since students need to buy them, haha. It's pretty ridiculous.

But yeah I've only ever used the textbooks for course assignments.. once those are over I'd either sell them (haven't for a few years though) or let them gather dust in my drawer. Probably going to end up tossing the darn things since most of the books I have aren't worth as much anymore.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Scholarships paid for my textbooks. I tried buying local or renting books or asking my best bud for some free pdf because if I didn't use the money, the school gave it to me. They gave me $500 to spend in the bookstore per semester. Rarely did my books ever go over that limit as long as I rented or bought used when possible. Returning the rentals was quick and easy because there were tents set up all around the campus during that week. Most expensive textbook was $245, brand new with software.

I only read what was required, and I very rarely looked at it again.

Back