• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care what Poké Balls you catch Pokémon with?

Years
    absolutely

i try to go for a pokeball that, at the very least, matches the colours of the pokemon i'm catching. worst comes to worst, i go luxury ball as a kind of "catch-all" alternative pokeball that still looks nice.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I like to go by color, even if there's no logical reason to use that particular Pokeball on whatever mon it is.

Unless I really want the thing, then I just slam Ultraballs at it.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Nope, I don't care. I've never seen it as a big deal what Pokeball my Pokemon are caught in. Whatever ball a Pokemon gets caught in, it gets caught in.

99% of the time after I get Ultra Balls or Quick Balls, that's pretty much all I'm gonna use. I've always seen the Pokeball I use as trivial.

Years
    I really enjoy using Heal balls because they're so quaint and lovely. Otherwise, I primarily use Ultra balls or Dusk balls because those are the most conventional.

I also find that catching a Pokémon with a Premier ball to be quite satisfying.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I use normal PokeBalls most of the time. Buying them gives me extra Premier Balls so it helps me save money for customization the important things

Years
    I wanna stuff all my Pokemon in Premiere Balls. They just look so classy to me. I wish I didn't have to buy 10 Pokeballs everytime to just get one oof.

This is partly why I consider Pokemon Gaia one of the best rom hacks. Some guy in the first Town changes your Pokemon's ball to a Premiere Ball at your behest! I've no idea how they coded that in, but Game Freak needs to adopt that pronto.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    Nope, I don't care. I've never seen it as a big deal what Pokeball my Pokemon are caught in. Whatever ball a Pokemon gets caught in, it gets caught in.

99% of the time after I get Ultra Balls or Quick Balls, that's pretty much all I'm gonna use. I've always seen the Pokeball I use as trivial.
    This is my answer. I have the same thoughts regarding Pokeballs. Even the "Ultra Balls or Quick Balls" part.

Years
    I like to catch as many Pokémon as I can in Poké Balls. Not sure why. I guess they have more of a classic, iconic look to them, perhaps? Failing that, I'll use the novelty Balls rather than use the Great and Ultra Balls.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'll catch with anything, although I don't like how Great Balls look that much.

Sirfetch’d

For dex completion purposes, no. If I know I am just catching a mon that will be boxed or released I will catch it in whatever is easiest. If I am breeding a Pokemon or using one on my team I absolutely have to use a special ball. Early on in games I will use Heal Balls because they can usually be bought right away and are cheap(and look great!) and later on I will use either Dream, Love, Dive, or Luxury depending on what looks best. Other apriballs like Moon are great too. The only other ball I really ever use is premier. I absolutely despise, Great, Ultra, and Master Balls so I don't use them.

Years
    Mostly I try to match the theme and colour for a Pokémon I really like or plan to use (Dive Ball for Water types, Dusk Ball for Dark and Ghost types, standard stuff).

Pokéballs that are useful in specific, rarely occurring conditions are interesting to use. A Pokémon caught in a Timer Ball signifies heroic resistance to capture.

tealeaves

Mudkip and Jirachi enthusiast.
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2020
    I don't use Great Balls ever. I wait for buying Ultra Balls, they look professional with any Pokémon. Premier Balls are so beautiful I love them usiajskjnwisiwne
    It depends, really. I always use Ultra, Master, Premier and Normal PokéBalls at the start.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Oh yeah, I've been really particular about this in the past. Now, where to find bullets on this forum's editor...
    • Gen I (Remake): Influenced by the manga, I almost exclusively use regular Poké Balls, with the exception of the Master Ball for Mewtwo.
    • Gen II (Remake): I use regular Poké Balls if I add a team member before Azalea Town, then exclusively Apricorn-based ones.
    • Gen III: A mix of regular, and the ones introduced in Gen III.
    • Gen IV: A mix of regular, and the ones introduced in Gen IV. Mostly Dusk or Quick though, not a fan of the pink one unless the Pokémon is pink.
    • Gen V: I think I just stuck to regular Poké Balls here.
    I would also try to use the appropriate generational Poké Ball to catch a Pokémon from a previous edition i.e. if I'm walking down a route in Hoenn and encounter a Ralts I'm using a Hoenn-manufactured one whereas I'd happily capture a Pikachu or - given the lack of Apricorns - a Marill in a regular Poké Ball.
    Given its a game intended for children around the age of the protagonists (10), its a nice way of adding difficulty too.

Years
    I actually do pay attention to the kind of Pokéball I use
    But not because I like to have diversity in my use of balls, instead I insist on catching everything with good'ol regular Poké Balls
    They're just so classy and iconic, you know?

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    I like the standard normal Pokeballs from season 1, but it is difficult to catch Pokemon with them.......lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I don't necessarily care what pokeballs I use. However, for legendaries I do try to catch them with anything other than the Master ball, since it's cool to look at in my inventory. I also normally tend to use Quick balls when trying to fill out my Pokedex, since those Pokeballs seem to work the best when I don't want to lower their HP to catch them.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I only use normal Poke Balls or Ultra Balls at best, Great Balls are ugly and most of the time I don't know where to find the rest and only use the few I have as a last resort

Back