• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care what Poké Balls you catch Pokémon with?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Cared a little more after seeing people put so much effort into things like apricorn balls. But, on the whole, not really. Mainly only notices when healing Pokemon and seeing 5 Pokeballs and 1 Great Ball.

Days
    No. I also don't care at all.

Use Pokeballs until I become rich enough, then buy 70-80 Ultra Balls at one go to bring the balance around 1000-2000 and finish the game with that much balls. And delete all the other balls to keep space vacant for simple quick select.

As you know, I don't play for finishing the quests, hence only catch 15-20 Pokémon at max.

I don't even waste much time bringing Pokémon health to red; just give any status problem and throw the Ultra Ball until catching the Pokémon. If nature/ability turns out bad, then reload again to find different species.

Years
    • Seen today
    I care, but only for Pokémon that I consider adding to my team. I normally try to catch them in a Pokéball that thematically or aesthetically fits the Pokémon, and also try to get each of them in a different ball.

Not allways possible of course, especially if you have a bunch of Pokémon caught at the beginning when the ball variety is very limited.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
    I like to have each Pokemon in my team in a different type of Poke Ball, but I don't care too much about matching them to the Pokemon. (Other than getting friendship evolutions or Return users in Luxury Balls for gameplay reasons.)

Last edited:

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    I actually care a lot, I'm really picky about how the Pokeballs are shown on the Pokemon status screen and the effects when you send your Pokemon out into battle. I always try to get all my shinies in Luxury Balls, since they're my favourite and I think they're a good fit with the sparkles and everything. If I'm using a Pokemon for my team I hate having them all mismatching so I'll exclusively catch things in regular Pokeballs so they'll match my starter. If I'm just catching something for the Pokedex it'll usually be in a Quick Ball just because the odds are good, and I'll typically rely on Ultra Balls for legendaries but honestly if I had it my way, everything would be caught in the exact same kind of ball and it'd be beautiful.

Years
    When it comes to shinies I try to give them a Poke Ball that best matches their shiny color (from what I have in my inventory at the time of encountering it anyway).

For Pokemon caught just for the dex: couldn't care less.
    For Pokemon caught for the playthrough team: I might try and match it with their type, but most of the time I can't be bothered tbh.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    I care quite a lot about what I catch my party Pokemon in, so much so that in one of my playthroughs of Scarlet, I traveled all over the map with just my basic low-level starter (even going out of bounds to leave the tutorial section early) just so I could find the special Pokeballs I wanted so I could get my preplanned team together as early as possible.
    I also really care when it comes to legendaries, so much so that I soft-reset the Gen 9 encounter with Solgaleo for hours just so I could catch it in a Beast Ball lol, which, for those that don't know, has one of the worst catchrates among all the different Pokeball types. I'm fairly certain that I would have had a better chance of catching it in a basic Pokeball at full health with no statuses than I did with the Beast Ball with the best odds possible, but I can't find the site I used for calculating the catching odds to check this again, sadly.
    I don't generally care if it's just Dex fillers though, but sometimes I still do lol.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    I'm fairly certain that I would have had a better chance of catching it in a basic Pokeball at full health with no statuses than I did with the Beast Ball with the best odds possible, but I can't find the site I used for calculating the catching odds to check this again, sadly.
    1.567% for a full health Pokeball versus 1.26% for a 1 hitpoint, asleep Solgaleo with a Beast Ball. Drops to 0.279% for a full health, no status Beast Ball, for direct comparison.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    1.567% for a full health Pokeball versus 1.26% for a 1 hitpoint, asleep Solgaleo with a Beast Ball. Drops to 0.279% for a full health, no status Beast Ball, for direct comparison.

Absolutely fantastic! Thanks for posting this so that everyone will know exactly how much I suffered trying to catch that beast lol. (it had not one, but TWO recoil causing moves, so if it ever woke up there was a roughly 50&% chance it would instantly kill itself, combine that with False Swipe being not very effective and it became even more unpleasant lol)

Back