• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you keep the Pokémon that you never use?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I guess this thread is more so for players that catch a lot of Pokémon, either to complete the Pokédex or whatnot. Do you release the Pokémon that you never use, put them in Pokémon HOME when your boxes get too full, leave them be, or do you actually use them all? As for me, I just normally leave all my unused Pokémon in boxes, but right now, my boxes have gotten so full in Pokémon Sword to the point where I have to put most of them in Pokémon HOME just to be able to find stuff easier. lol What about you?

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    i dont think i ever release any pokemon unless im doing an nuzlocke challenge, and honestly, i just prefer to box them lol
    I think its a great way to keep records of how many pokemon i have ever caught, even if i caught it was an accident, plus, i just never know when i migth use that level 3 Pidgey i captured at route 2.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't release Pokémon unless for some reason I have multiple of the same species.

Now why would I have multiple of the same species? Well, in the official main games, I normally don't.

In spin-offs like Legends Arceus, or in side games like Go, where you have no choice but to catch the same species multiple times, yes, releasing is a must.

In difficulty based rom hacks / fan games in which I might need to breed for egg moves and IVs, I do release Pokémon as well because I inevitably end up with multiple repeated ones.

In the official main games, no, unless I end up breeding for custom challenges, battle facilities, or whatever reason.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I don't release Pokémon unless for some reason I have multiple of the same species.

Now why would I have multiple of the same species? Well, in the official main games, I normally don't.

In spin-offs like Legends Arceus, or in side games like Go, where you have no choice but to catch the same species multiple times, yes, releasing is a must.

In difficulty based rom hacks / fan games in which I might need to breed for egg moves and IVs, I do release Pokémon as well because I inevitably end up with multiple repeated ones.

In the official main games, no, unless I end up breeding for custom challenges, battle facilities, or whatever reason.

You're not wrong about that and I hear ya. In Legends Arceus, you practically have to catch like 25 of the same species. Nonetheless, I'm similar to you. I prefer not to release my Pokémon. The only time I really do it is when I'm breeding and I have multiple copies of the same Pokémon that I hatched and I don't feel like using Surprise Trade. I just box them in Pokémon HOME and mass release them at once. Other than that, I prefer to keep my critters and even train some of them up if I can. lol

Years
    • Seen today
    First time they go in the box.

Everything I recatch goes into wonder trade. (If applicable to the current generation).

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Remains in the box. Keeps one Pokemon from each evolutionary family on hand. Tends to not begin releasing Pokemon until space issues pop up.

Years
    I keep one of every stage around nowadays. Exceptions for shiny Pokemon and HA/apriball Pokemon, which generally results in 1 normal base stage of a mon + 1 more of that mon for every apriball I have it in, plus any shiny ones.
    Any surplus gets released, which is mainly when I'm doing breeding.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I would usually release breedjects on games before Gen VIII. Now I put them all in Wonder Box, get other peoples breedjects in return! A lot easier than grinding Cram-o-matic for Apriballs!

In the games before Gen VIII where a National Pokédex had always been an impossibility for me, I usually sort my boxes at the end of the save so I have a Living (catchable-in-my-game) Dex plus my team. So any spares would be released then.

And yeah, obviously PLA and Go / Let's Go require releases (especially PLA, surprising lack of box space it appears). Oh, and when I receive hacks in GTS / Wonder Box / Surprise Trade I check if they have a rare ball to go with their great IVs - if so , I breed first, then release, otherwise I just release

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I mostly just shove them into a box and forget they even exist lol

I almost never release things! Exceptions being when I hatch a ton of eggs trying for a shiny, the spares will get released unless they're good enough for surprise trade (5IVs). Boxes can fill pretty fast otherwise. Nowadays they hardly make it outside of the game itself too, because I've gotten so lazy to move things over.. and the fact that I'd have wayyy too many dupes otherwise lol. I don't need to end up with 6 Medicham I transfer over from each game. :x

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I almost never release things! Exceptions being when I hatch a ton of eggs trying for a shiny, the spares will get released unless they're good enough for surprise trade (5IVs). Boxes can fill pretty fast otherwise. Nowadays they hardly make it outside of the game itself too, because I've gotten so lazy to move things over.. and the fact that I'd have wayyy too many dupes otherwise lol. I don't need to end up with 6 Medicham I transfer over from each game. :x

It sounds you end up with a lot of trade fodder though. That's a great thing, lowkey.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I like having full boxes, not to mention all those random Pokemon were very useful for building my Living Dex. I don't have that one? Let me check one of the older games, see if I have one in the PC. Saved me a lot of time in hunting down specific mons.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    I only do nuzlockes now and well, yes. There is always the possibility someone dies and then…

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    I'm such a hoarder that I never release Pokemon and I never use items, even though I should (like berries). So at the end of the game, I'll have tons of Pokemon and items that I should've tried out or used, but never had the burning desire to do so.

Back