• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you love your country?

Margot

some things are that simple
Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I don't love that my country got Donald Trump to keep his campaign running this long. I don't love that we still dance around how bad the country's racism is. I don't like that as a woman, I have to choose between a family and a career since services for parents is atrocious. I don't love that our congress just approved the defunding of an institution that helps women take control of their health and sex lives when they otherwise couldn't. I don't love how our political parties only focus on taking each other down, rather than actually working towards a solution together. I don't love our raging Islamophobia.

We could do better, is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Not particularly. I like where I live, but the things I like about where I live have less to do with my country, and more to do with the city I live in and maybe the state (e.g. I live in a pretty nice, quiet, peaceful town that also has some nice stuff to do within a short distance). I'm not really sure where my country plays an immediate role in my daily life, so meh, my attitude towards my country is just "whatevs" :P

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • I don't love that my country got Donald Trump to keep his campaign running this long. I don't love that we still dance around how bad the country's racism is. I don't like that as a woman, I have to choose between a family and a career since services for parents is atrocious. I don't love that our congress just approved the defunding of an institution that helps women take control of their health and sex lives when the otherwise couldn't. I don't love how our political parties only focus on taking each other down, rather than actually working towards a solution together. I don't love our raging Islamophobia.

We could do better, is all I'm saying.

As an outsider to America I am absolutely amazed that a) Trump gets away with speaking about Mexicans, Women, the disabled in fact anyone that doesn't meet his view in such a racist, sexist and just amazingly stupid way. If any of our politicians over the pond spoke in such away he'd probably get arrested for hate speech and b) he has people saying "He just speaks what everyone is thinking" I didn't realise everyone was a racist! I will feel very sad if he is elected for you, as I think he'd be like the National English League or whatever they are called over here.

Eh it's alright. Where I live is relatively low crime. There is not a lot opportunities though, so a lot of young people either work in dead end jobs or turn to crime as there's nothing, unless you have connections already

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    I love...the idea of my country. A place where anyone can come and live out there dreams as equals sounds amazing. The reality of it is quite different though. Cops will kill you with no due cause, we bail out big business while allowing the the smaller ones to fail, our tax brackets are broken. Nevermind the fact that we host a dozen groups filled with zealous idiots too blinded by their own agenda to see the bigger picture.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Trump has problems with ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS not Mexicans, there's a big difference. But he still scares me.

To answer the question. No. I'm sick and tired of the pansies that run this country that want to destroy our Amendment rights followed by the the amount that live in this country that follow it. The same people that get offended by anything and everything and create pointless protests or issues involving it and people blindly follow it in hopes to make something illegal. I'm tired of the stupidity that surrounds the media or anything in general. Like for example the presidential candidates. Both sides are so far gone and the people that follow it are even more far gone not even a radar can detect them, the media controls our opinions. Or for another example, money scams like sporting events where people act like complete fools when their team loses and they basically start feuds and fights with random people, or they start fights with you if you aren't wearing their team or supporting their/your city. Like who cares? It's just a team. I don't get it it.

Or is the problem with today's generation or society, mostly America? We think the amount of clout we have on social media is oh so important when in reality it's not. We think music about bitches, money, cars, jewelry, cash, drugs, and designer clothing is the best thing ever when it just sounds like utter crap, come up with something original. Mothers twerking in front of their children, people posting mentally handicapped people getting beat up on Youtube/Facebook and making a laughing matter about it, Kanye West and the Kardashians and their ignorance, mothers getting pregnant at 15-18 years old that would rather party rather than taking responsibility yet they wonder why no guy wants to get involved with them, etc.
    Its stupidity like that, that makes me hate this country.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Trump has problems with ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS not Mexicans, there's a big difference. But he still scares me.

To answer the question. No. I'm sick and tired of the pansies that run this country that want to destroy our Amendment rights followed by the the amount that live in this country that follow it. The same people that get offended by anything and everything and create pointless protests or issues involving it and people blindly follow it in hopes to make something illegal. I'm tired of the stupidity that surrounds the media or anything in general. Like for example the presidential candidates. Both sides are so far gone and the people that follow it are even more far gone not even a radar can detect them, the media controls our opinions. Or for another example, money scams like sporting events where people act like complete fools when their team loses and they basically start feuds and fights with random people, or they start fights with you if you aren't wearing their team or supporting their/your city. Like who cares? It's just a team. I don't get it it.

Kanye West and the Kardashians and their ignorance, mothers getting pregnant at 15-18 years old that would rather party rather than taking responsibility yet they wonder why no guy wants to get involved with them, etc.
    Its stupidity like that, that makes me hate this country.

The sad thing is, you can take it a step further on the stupidity train when you mention that Kanye also wants to run for president. I agree, it's sickening how much the media is controlled in this country (shout out to Rupert Murdoch for ruining everything the news once had to offer society).

pkmin3033

Absolutely; I'm proud to be British...although I do not care for our current government. This is why I avoid politics like the plague. You Americans think you have it bad? Try living under David Cameron's iron fist...

Years
  • Canada is ok if you're not native. The rampant racism towards natives still runs deep today. Most of the reserves have dirty water, no infrastructure, and this is because the government absolutely neglects them.
    I'm hoping Trudeau does something about this.
    Speaking of our prime minister is pretty cool if that means anything xD

Years
  • I dont love it, is just an island that I happened to be born in. I've never really got how people can be so nationalistic and obsessed with where they live.

I guess I like enough that i'm happy living here.

Keira

Gayer than you'll ever be
    Years
  • Eh. I'm not patriotic at all if that means conforming with the English systems.

For a start, the concept of a monarchy is outdated at best, and is quite honestly a huge drain of public money and a waste of time. Think about it for a moment. What actual role does the Queen fill? The royal family essentially exist to wave at people in the age of 'democracy'.

I also have a dislike for the fundamentals of patriotism. Why would one love what is basically a landmass? It doesn't think, breathe or love in return. If patriotism is taken as meaning love of the establishment of one's country, I would offer a hearty no.

I agree partially with the concept of democracy (I'd far rather live in a communist country, but that is yet to be executed properly and cannot exist in a free-market society without effectively locking itself away from every other country. People are too self-centered for it to be a possibility, regardless), but I don't believe it is executed properly in Britain (The Establishment by Owen Jones is a good read if you're interested in how the British system is weighted) and I therefore cannot be at all patriotic, as I have a fundamental disagreement with the very heart of our system, and no love for the rest of it.

If you read this far, I pity you. I went on a rant again.

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
    Years
  • As an outsider to America I am absolutely amazed that a) Trump gets away with speaking about Mexicans, Women, the disabled in fact anyone that doesn't meet his view in such a racist, sexist and just amazingly stupid way. If any of our politicians over the pond spoke in such away he'd probably get arrested for hate speech and b) he has people saying "He just speaks what everyone is thinking" I didn't realise everyone was a racist! I will feel very sad if he is elected for you, as I think he'd be like the National English League or whatever they are called over here.

The English Defense League? "YA DON'T SPEAK PROHPA ENGLAND!"

Trump makes me think of UKIP also.

I think this might help show why some people support Trump.

As for do I love my country? Well this is a hard one. I think as a government not so much, and as people not so much. I do enjoy the history of the United States (not to say I am happy about it). Now the United States does get a bad rap for being "ignorant" but I feel like that has something to do with being a "world" away from most drama. The Americas while as a rule not being the most stable also only have 1 country who has a low HDI is pretty impressive, only Europe can boast not having any. The United States in some ways really helped with that (and also helped with political instability at the cost of economic liberation and expansion). However the people in the United States are what really bother me. I think the United States had a time in history where it was one of the most sensible, progressive, and safe nations to live (primarily during the late 1800s and up until perhaps the 50s). However the Cold War and War on Terror as well as the War on Drugs plus government distrust and lying going as far back as Vietnam has really weakened American resolve and made us more susceptible to the fear mongering. Additionally the United States has somewhat grown to have an idea that economic expansion is all that matters and seems to have forgotten about people in a way that similarly developed nations (such as Europe) have not. Looking to US healthcare for instance. Also Eisenhower pointed out that we needed to avoid a military-industrial complex, which didn't happen (the US Department of Defense is the largest employer in the world).

So to summarize I think that the United States was once a great place to live. I think that when compared to other developed western nations however the United States is the weak link in many ways. I think particularly in the Anglosphere the US does the worst at taking care of their citizens.

If I had to think about what countries would make me happier and more proud to be a citizen I think I could name (in no particular order):

• Sweden (although idk how much with the whole racism and immigrant thing (and the saying lolnope to 80,000 people thing))
    • Switzerland
    • The Netherlands
    • The United Kingdom
    • Canada
    • Australia
    • New Zealand

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • The sad thing is, you can take it a step further on the stupidity train when you mention that Kanye also wants to run for president. I agree, it's sickening how much the media is controlled in this country (shout out to Rupert Murdoch for ruining everything the news once had to offer society).

I agree. Also, with the amount of support Kanye has (for some odd reason) and considering he's black he has a very good chance of becoming president if he were to run. I hate to bring race into this but Obama proves my point, he got elected twice because of his race. Anyone that believes otherwise is in denial. All blacks I talked to voted for him so they could take place in an historical event. But it also pisses me off that you're "racist" if you dare to say anything bad about him. The media irritates me because they all spew lies targeted after a certain party making the other party the victim meaning both sides lie to the audience without them even knowing. I don't get how people are so oblivious to this manipulation, it's mind boggling.
    As for Hillary Clinton, just the other day I was talking with a woman and she said she's voting Clinton because she's female.. You have got to be kidding me? How stupid can one get? The woman's corrupt as it can get, it scares me even more given the amount of power she has. Power + Corruption = Destruction.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    ahahahahahahahahahahahaha david cameron is a c u next tuesday. so not at the moment, no.

it's a shame, though. our country could be so much better, but...

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I love living in New Zealand but there are definitely it's pros and cons. I don't think I started to really appreciate my country since I came back from visiting America 4 years ago tbh.

Most obvious, the environment and scenery here is great and the air feels really fresh and relaxing. Everyone is really friendly here most of the time and things are so laid back here which is great. The atmosphere is great and the city I live in has an awesome vibe - not to mention living in the film capital here is pretty cool. Also we have more sheep than people xD

Of course there still the bad stuff like a lot of things are expensive - not to mention shipping to and from NZ pretty much costs your soul. Internet is pretty terrible here too and it doesn't help when I'm trying to play games with online friends. Not to mention a Prime Minster who thinks that spending millions of dollars on changing out flag is totally the most important issue of NZ in this current time -.-

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • I'm back so let's start.

Well I live in Malaysia and it's all day hot and wet. That's why I always bring litres of water for work hahah. The people here are quite mixed. You can see different races of people but the majorities are Chinese , Indian and Malay.

The living cost is quite fair depends on how you spend. Not to mention that currently the imported items are very expensive due to low currency rate of Malaysia ringgit.

The food is most important attraction. Cheap, tasty and satisfaction . There are so many food out there to choose. The coffee over here is White coffee which is filled with strong creamy milk taste. And it's cheap.

I don't talk much about politics here because it is sensitive and I also have no interest to put in.

In conclusion, Malaysia in my opinion is a very good place to stay. Pretty much place to travel at a cheaper rate.

Love it? Well i would say it's a good place to stay as long as you do not mind much about government things.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • In general, yes, I do like living in Australia. I like the warm weather, the long coastline, and the diversity, plus the people here are pretty friendly. I don't like the fact that there are a lot of racists here (especially against Aborigines), but I just try to ignore them. I'm pretty much indifferent to local politics (I feel like people who don't pay so much attention to politics are usually happier). I like our flag too - I don't mind that there's a Union Jack on it and I don't want to see it changed.

I'm getting sickened by all the political talk in this topic.

Back